PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes input

illusionistG
09-07-2006, 10:11
I'm looking at the Big Agnes line of sleeping bags, and I'm interested in either the Mystic or Deep Creek models to support a potential mid Feb. departure thru-hike. Any input from folks is greatly welcomed.

BTW...I'm a warm sleeper. 6'4" 220 lbs.
Thank you

hiker33
09-07-2006, 10:32
I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. I was initially very enthused about it, but after just four years of weekend and section use the bag has lost significant loft. Also, with the recent explosion in lightweight gear it's much heavier than a bag needs to be, even with the lack of bottom insulation. I also found that even when new the bag couldn't handle the stated +20 degree rating. Below +32 or so I was cold. And the stiff bungee-type cords used in the hood made it uncomfortable when closed tightly

Having said this, the bag is luxurious to sleep in as it allows free movement. My weight was the same as yours when I bought it (though I'm down to 200 and counting) and it was great for sleeping under most conditions.

The BA foam pad has also lost a lot of loft. In contrast, the Thermarest pad that it replaced lasted over 20 years. (It was one of the original brass valve models, and I never had to replace the valve.)

I don't think I would buy a BA again unless the quality has significantly improved. If girth is an issue check out the expandable bags from Mountain Hardwear. They also sell a separate zip-in expander that adds 8 inches to most bags.

Good hiking.

ES

rswanson
09-07-2006, 13:47
Western Mountaineering makes two bags similar to the BA products. They come in 15 degree and 30 degree versions, called the Pod 15 and Pod 30. They'll be better than the BA bags in terms of warmth to weight and quality. They're also more expensive.

lilygrrrl1
09-07-2006, 17:00
i, too, have switched from the BA sleep system to western mountaineer bag.

here's some problems i've noted regarding the BA sytem...

1) i'm a side sleeper and found the inablilty to draw up the bag (with the air mattress within the sleeve) rather annoying.

2) when i've used the bag just on top of the air matress...i've slide off...and the lack of insulation on the bottom posed quite a warmth issue.

3) the insulated air mattress (which is only 2 years old) developed a hole....on a seam!

i'm now using a western mountaineer bag and thermarest insulated 3/4 length air mattress. i used this new system this past weekend....and have NEVER SLEPT BETTER!

krinkles