PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag for Wife

Almost There
09-07-2006, 10:41
I need to get my wife her own sleeping bag, and I don't want too go to high on price. I know what I would like to get her, but there is a difference between that and what we are willing to pay at this time. I want something in the 15 degree range, preferably down, 3lbs or less. Someone I know brought up the Lafuma Woman's Dream Bag, I was wondering if any of you ladies have used or know of someone who uses this bag. Lurking males feel free to chime in as well, if you know of any ladies who use this bag. Thanks again, feel free to make other suggestions as well.

jaywalke
09-07-2006, 11:31
I need to get my wife her own sleeping bag, and I don't want too go to high on price. I know what I would like to get her, but there is a difference between that and what we are willing to pay at this time. I want something in the 15 degree range, preferably down, 3lbs or less.

A quick glance at Campmor shows several women's bags by Marmot and Mountain Hardware that would fit the bill for around $150. My wife uses a 20-degree Sierra Designs women's bag - 600 fill down and plain nylon shell. It was a Campmor find, too.

I haven't used bags from every manufacturer, but the three listed above seem to have a good reputation for being conservative with their temp ratings. Lafuma and Kelty, on the other hand, seem to stretch the truth at times. Warm sleepers will be fine, but I have known several folks who have gotten cold in bags from those two companies at temps above the rating.

I know that at my house a warm wife = a happy wife, so we spent the money necessary to be happy!

I love the title of this thread. When guys used to come into EMS and say, "I want to get a sleeping bag for my wife," we'd answer, "Okay, but we're going to have to see her first."

MacGyver2005
09-07-2006, 19:21
You may want to share her height, as that can make a bit of difference. I know that I am in a dilemma, because my other is only 5'0" and it's tough to find a good bag at a good price that isn't going to swallow her!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

sarbar
09-07-2006, 20:37
Height and girth is a big issue for fit. I hate to break it to you guys...but if she isn't warm and comfortable, it doesn't matter - your life will be miserable :p
It is the same with outfitting kids:
Don't expect them to live with shoddy seconds and bargain basement purchases while you are over in your spiffy gear. If you want the ladies to come along, then outfit them as well as you can.
That means take the Misses shopping, and let her get in bags, try them out. She may or may not want a ladies bag. If she is really petite, she might be comfy in a nice kids bag (the 15* REI Zig Zag is a good choice for 5 ft tall women).
But if she has wider hips or shoulders, a narrow cut ladies bag might be to confining for her taste. She might want a long bag to snuggle into. Or she might like a a tight bag.

And down is a big issue: If you go super bargain, you might be getting 500 fill that could shift and leave her cold. Cold equals crabby wives :p

I currently use an REI Sub Kilo 15* ladies bag. Yes, it isn't cheap. But it weighs in at 1 lb 14 ounces. And it is very warm. And cozy. And the fabric feels like love all over (read=soft as silk). I decided I was worth it ;)

good luck..and watch the sales! Good time for clearance items. Find what she likes, then check online for it on sale!

Almost There
09-08-2006, 01:34
I completely agree and that is why I haven't jumped at anything. I have a Marmot Helium and a Big Agnes Encampment. For the time being she would use the Helium as I personally love the thing. It's like sleeping between two feather pillows, but it's a pricey bag, and neither of us wants to spend the money on a such a bag for her until were sure it's gonna get the use. She is about 5ft 2 and loves to be bundled up so that's my dilemma, I'll probably wait and we'll check out the Scratch and Dent coming up at the end of September.

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 08:50
My wife is about 5'5 and I got her the REI SubKilo (20 degree down) bag. She has used it now for over a year and really likes it. Got it on sale and had a $20 off coupon which made the price pretty attractive for that class of bag.

'Slogger

bigcranky
09-08-2006, 12:22
but it's a pricey bag, and neither of us wants to spend the money on a such a bag for her until were sure it's gonna get the use.

If you buy a quality bag -- Western Mountaineering, Marmot, that sort of thing -- you're not out a lot of money if she decides that sleeping on the cold, hard ground just isn't her thing. You can easily resell the bag for a good percentage of what you paid for it, either here on WB, or on any of several other fora on the 'net.

If you buy a cheap bag, you are increasing the chances of going by yourself in the future. :D

Good luck. I finally wised up and bought my better half a WM Ultralite last spring. Nice bag.

dragonfly
09-08-2006, 21:16
Big Cranky's "better half" here--I love my WM Ultralite, but it was a bit pricey. Our 16-year-old daughter has used an REI SubKilo for at least four years and she is very happy with it, even down near 20 degrees. She's a very warm sleeper (unlike her mama). We've found it to be a good balance of high quality, low weight, and moderate price.

aspen
11-22-2006, 06:34
It sounds like people prefer the WM Ultralite over the Women's Marmot Helium +15. Is price the only consideration?

What do you prefer with sleeping pads?

I am 5'1" and weigh 115 pounds. I try to keep my backpack about 25 pounds for an overnight.

Susan

sarbar
11-25-2006, 11:10
Aspen, I use both a Ladies Thermarest Prolite 3 pad and a Big Agnes insulated Aircore pad. The BA is the comfiest, as it is so thick, but the Prolite isn't bad, especially with how light you are and is lightweight. I also have the matching sit pad by them. Sure the hot pink is bright...but I can live with it ;)

aspen
11-25-2006, 17:35
Sarbar

Thanks for the info.

Aspen

Red Hat
12-04-2006, 18:17
I love my WM bag! I bought it here slightly used. Thanks Whiteblaze!