PDA

View Full Version : Postmenopausal ladies

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 14:15
As you no doubt know, our metabolism makes some pretty radical changes during menopause. One of those changes is dryness in nether regions which changes the flora. From what I understand, this makes us more apt to get infections if exposed and also makes any urine that might stick to the 'forest' decompose faster (meaning it will be harder to keep the "lady place" fresh without a shower handy).

Have any of the ladies who have hiked after menopause experienced problems? If so, how did you manage the problem(s)?

SawnieRobertson
09-07-2006, 15:56
As you no doubt know, our metabolism makes some pretty radical changes during menopause. One of those changes is dryness in nether regions which changes the flora. From what I understand, this makes us more apt to get infections if exposed and also makes any urine that might stick to the 'forest' decompose faster (meaning it will be harder to keep the "lady place" fresh without a shower handy).

Have any of the ladies who have hiked after menopause experienced problems? If so, how did you manage the problem(s)?

I have never had problems that I would not have experienced any other time of my life. Perhaps this is because I drink vast amounts of water on the trail. Also, I wash the "nether regions" of my underwear every night. Where did you get that negative information anyhow?--Kinnickinic

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 16:27
My doc mentioned the info to me at my annual exam. She a new doc for me and I don't think she knows much about hiking or backpacking. She mentioned the dangers (bears, ticks, etc.) several times along with the medical info. I figured the ladies here would know if these were real concerns or just things that could concievably happen.

I do know that my flora has changed and I have to be more careful about cleaning to stay fresh.

boarstone
09-07-2006, 19:09

I wear panty sheilds, non perfumed....been in surgical menopause since 92...

Terraducky
09-07-2006, 20:40
;) I bought some Merona men's seamless briefs at Target on the advice of someone at another related thread (about underwear). The microfiber content is breathable, stays dryer and resistant to (ahem) stink. After trying a pair I ran back and bought 2 more, along with a pair of "boy shorts". Along with unscrented baby-wipes, which I pack out of course, I feel clean and fresh...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 20:52
I wear the Target Merona men's briefs and boy shorts for hiking in pants or shorts - commando with skirts.

Seems my doc may have overstated the problems from what you ladies are saying. While I am an experienced hiker, I haven't taken a long trip in a while (not since I came off hormone replacement therapy which is supposed to keep these problems at bay per the doc).

NEFFA
09-18-2006, 20:43
I wish I was past menopause! For the time being I don't mind smelling bad on hikes because it keeps the "bad" people away.

Hammock Hanger
09-19-2006, 06:50
I wish I was past menopause! For the time being I don't mind smelling bad on hikes because it keeps the "bad" people away.

OMG, ROTFLMAO!!!:banana

I'm Post/M. I go camando, no problems. Use a wet wipe before bed.

Sue/HH