PDA

View Full Version : Partner Wanted March 07 NOBO AT

fallingstarr
09-07-2006, 16:23
I'm looking for a partner for a March 2007 AT hike. I am an experienced but novice hiker. I would like a trustworthy partner who can help me learn the ropes and keep me company for the hike. In return I can offer my great cooking skills! Send me a message if you are interested. :sun

hammock engineer
09-07-2006, 23:47
There will be plenty of us out there around then. I am starting sometime early to mid March.

Jack T. makes a really good point on another thread about start dates to start a couple weeks into March. It basically says that starting a couple mid March vs early March could help you to miss some of the snow storms. It can/will still snow later than that, but the chances are lesser or a big snow. There is a little more to it, look it up if you want.

bido7614
09-08-2006, 18:04
hey there i am not a hiker. i've never been on one anyways, but i am starting march 10th.. i could always use the company if yuo want it.. granted im younger...
lissie

J Link NJ
11-20-2006, 00:45
I am planning on starting on March 18th at Springer. I am 19 years old but experienced, motivated, and knowledgable. This is my first attempt at a Thru Hike. I am looking for someone.. any age, sex, race, to hike with for atleast the first week, if we become friends, will hike with for as long as possible.

Sorrys2Cliche
12-06-2006, 18:38
Im starting around March 15th..I'm 24 year old guy, experienced and driven. My email is [email protected] and my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/killtheheadthebodywilldie

- Ian

swantekkie
12-06-2006, 19:29
I am a twenty one year old male looking for someone to accompany me in march for about three to four weeks. I am planning to only do a section of the at, probly upper NY to Southern VT or vice versa. Looking for any age, sex, race to come for at least a few weeks if not the whole trip. Again im planning on mid-march to early April.

crutch
12-07-2006, 13:59
You don't need to worry about finding a partner in early march. there will be a lot of hikers on the trail with you. If you just start out on your own, you'll find that a hiking family will develop around you, which is a good thing. The hardest thing about hiking with a partner from the start is that everyone has their own pace that they're comfortable with....and not everyone can hike at your pace.
Just take your time and enjoy.....you won't be alone unless you choose to be.

RiverWarriorPJ
12-21-2006, 09:11
There's a new member outta Richmond lQQkin 4 a March thru hiker....his name is GeKKo..

gekko
12-22-2006, 03:14
Hey, I was originally planning on a slightly later start, closer to the 15th, but I would certainly consider bumping the date if it meant finding a partner. I'm a 23 year old male, I don't have a ton of experience with very extended hikes, several days has been my previous limit, but I am also very driven to finish. E-mail is [email protected] or just reply on the thread if you are interested.

trlhiker
12-24-2006, 15:52
hey there i am not a hiker. i've never been on one anyways, but i am starting march 10th.. i could always use the company if yuo want it.. granted im younger...
lissie

Whoa there, your not a hiker and never have yet your gonna try a thru hike?:-? :-? I highly suggest you do at least a weekend trip to atleast test out your gear and eliminate what you really don't need. Not trying to dicourage you but the AT is not an easy walk in the woods.

DawnTreader
12-24-2006, 15:59
a lot of people make it the whole way haven never hiked before they left springer.. granted, the odds are against it...

cabell
01-03-2007, 17:57
fallingstar-
i am looking for a reliable partner to start off with. i had a partner untill just a week ago he changed his mind. although i am 22, my parents will not support me if i hike it "alone" (although there will be tons of people on the trail). I would prefer to find a female hiking partner.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 18:01
although i am 22, my parents will not support me if i hike it "alone"

What does "support" mean? Financially. You're 22 years old. An adult. Do your own thing.

cabell
01-03-2007, 18:12
support meaning, mail my boxes for me, give me money even though i have enough saved up, keep in touch etc..

rafe
01-03-2007, 18:28
support meaning, mail my boxes for me, give me money even though i have enough saved up, keep in touch etc..

Why not invite your parents to join you for your departure at Springer Summit. They'll get over their fear in a hurry, I imagine.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2007, 18:33

That's a rotten thing for them do to. This is a trip of a lifetime. Partners normally don't work out and they are more trouble than they're worth. There's people on this site that offer to send your boxes, etc. for free. Sounds like mom and dad are a little too controlling.

bfitz
01-09-2007, 06:55
I'm sure it's a question of managing mom and dad's fears and givivng them reassurances. Most folks have no idea what goes on on the trail and have heard a few horror stories. Having a partner or a gang of friends is reassuring to parents. You don't have to lie to them, just give them strategic reassurances.

English Stu
01-10-2007, 09:03
I support what others have said about walking buddies.It is more likely that you will find someone on the trail who walks/rests at your pace.Even when I moved with a walking family I walked most of the day on my own ,you notice more wildlife/plants that way.To be with someone all day everyday a few paces apart will be unusual .Find a gender neutral trail name for security.

bfitz
01-10-2007, 19:33
Find a gender neutral trail name for security.
Don't bother with that, security won't be an issue any more than anyplace else generally speaking as long as you have your head on straight. There's nothing to be afraid of.

SalParadise
01-10-2007, 19:59
Whoa there, your not a hiker and never have yet your gonna try a thru hike?

nah, it's easy to do. the mile after Springer was my first ever mile hiked, the first time I put on a backpack and the first time I slept in the woods. I might jump if they were thinking about the PCT, but the AT is totally different. as long as you have your gear list checked out by someone in the know, it's no problem.

I'm glad I had a starting partner for my first hike, they're great for worried parents. sure, they usually don't work out, but once the partnership dissolves, you're far enough in that your parents have calmed down and realized you can handle yourself, even on your own--although save the bear and snake stories until you get home and don't talk about hitchhiking.

bfitz
01-11-2007, 07:36
nah, it's easy to do. the mile after Springer was my first ever mile hiked, the first time I put on a backpack and the first time I slept in the woods. I might jump if they were thinking about the PCT, but the AT is totally different. as long as you have your gear list checked out by someone in the know, it's no problem.

I'm glad I had a starting partner for my first hike, they're great for worried parents. sure, they usually don't work out, but once the partnership dissolves, you're far enough in that your parents have calmed down and realized you can handle yourself, even on your own--although save the bear and snake stories until you get home and don't talk about hitchhiking.
What he said.