PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember cam-locks on hip belts?

LostInSpace
09-07-2006, 16:31
There was a time when the buckles on hip belts were metal cam-locks, for example, on my old Kelty Tioga from the mid-70’s. Although Kelty replaced the hip belt and shoulder straps on my Tioga because they hardened with age, they also returned the cam-lock buckle from the old belt I sent them … and I thank them for that.

If you had used, or still have, one of these cam-lock buckles, did you like it more or less than the plastic ones that current packs have? Although the cam-lock I have weighs about an ounce more than a plastic buckle, it certainly is a lot less prone to slipping. I just swapped it with the plastic one on my “big load” pack. Has anyone else done this?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 16:39
I still have a pair of 1970's Kelty external frame packs with the metal cam-locks. They were much more reliable than today's plastic versions.

Topcat
09-07-2006, 19:21
the first pack i had with a hip belt, the belt had a metal cam lock. Unfortunately, it lacked padding...lol.

After using a pack with no belt, it was still heaven sent.

hikerjohnd
09-07-2006, 19:36
I remember the metal cams, but I was a kid when they were used. I never carried a load with one. Seems it would be more durable, but I vaguely recall the one on my pack was rusty - a definite drawback.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 09:16
I still have the cam lock straps from the external I use right now. It an old Jasper model. I changed out the belts 4-5 years ago, but I just cant let go of my ext pack. It is the right size, old school waterproof, and fits me like a condom. A big condom.:D

Rain Man
09-08-2006, 11:23
... Although the cam-lock I have weighs about an ounce more than a plastic buckle, it certainly is a lot less prone to slipping. I just swapped it with the plastic one on my “big load” pack. Has anyone else done this?

You know, you are right... they are less prone to slipping than the plastic belt buckles. But I haven't swapped any ... yet.

Rain:sunMan