PDA

View Full Version : New Cell Tower on Rich Mountain...

Sly
09-07-2006, 18:36
Can you hear me now? Lifted from the Asheville Citizen-Times...

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/NEWS01/60907019

Rich Mountain cell tower approved, will go up this fall

by John Boyle ([email protected]), staff writer
published September 7, 2006 2:32 pm
Reader Feedback: Comment on this article (http://www.citizen-times.net/cgi-bin/forums/asheville/YaBB.pl?action=post;num=1157655671;title=PostReply ) | Register here (http://www.citizen-times.net/cgi-bin/forums/asheville/YaBB.pl?action=register)

HOT SPRINGS - A 120-foot cell phone tower on top of Rich Mountain in Madison County likely will be in service this fall after receiving U.S. Forest Service approval in late August.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');
“It’s going to definitely cover the community and the people traveling the associated highways, and it will connect service with our other existing towers heading toward Ashville,” said John Locascio, project manager for U.S. Cellular, which is building the tower. “We expect to have it in service by late October or early November. There was no coverage there whatsoever.”

In her approval decision dated Aug. 22, Forest Supervisor Marisue Hilliard said locating the cell tower on Rich Mountain is “consistent with the goals, objectives, and desired future condition identified in the Land and Resource Management Plan for the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests issues in April 1987…”

Rich Mountain is in Pisgah National Forest. Some local residents had complained about the tower because the Appalachian Trail is nearby and because the tower will require electric power be run to the site.
“If they follow through with a logical progression and do things like bury the power lines, I’m perfectly for it,” said Daniel Gallagher, co-owner of Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs.

The approved plan calls for French Broad Electric Co-Op to install about 20 new above-ground power poles with lines from the junction of N.C. 212 and U.S. 25/70 continuing for about a mile. From there the line will be buried up to Tanyard Gap and remain underground up to the pole.
The new tower will be a “mono-pole,” a single steel pole without the framework of typical cell towers. Its attachments will fit snugly to the pole to be less obtrusive visually.

Madison County will be able to utilize the pole for its equipment, Locascio said. He noted that the tower, one of about 100 U.S. Cellular has in Western North Carolina, will cost 45 to 50 percent more to install than a typical tower.

Anyone know if Verizon has access to US Cellular towers? ;)

Skidsteer
09-07-2006, 19:12
Anyone know if Verizon has access to US Cellular towers? ;)

Sure. Verizon has lots of money. ;)

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2006, 19:25
1. There's already a service road that leads to the top of the mountain, so

2. Bringing phone service up there shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with Dan Gallagher, who is a very clever man. If they do this wisely and well, it's nothing to get upset about.

hikerjohnd
09-07-2006, 19:33
I agree with Dan Gallagher, who is a very clever man. If they do this wisely and well, it's nothing to get upset about.

I have no idea what is going on - could not tell you anything about the project, but when has any company done anything wisely and well? Unfortunately it always comes down to dollars.

Skidsteer
09-07-2006, 19:41
I have no idea what is going on - could not tell you anything about the project, but when has any company done anything wisely and well? Unfortunately it always comes down to dollars.

Not always.

Sometimes companies do things very wisely and well.