PDA

View Full Version : Stuff sack weight limit.

Earl Grey
09-07-2006, 22:28
I got an 10x21 Equinox Ultralite stuff sack to use as a bear bag until I get a more manageable size for this. I put the first aid ziploc, breakfast ziploc, snack sack, dinner ziploc and cookset and held it upside down by the webbing. The threads on the weebing connecting to the sack are showing and it doesnt "feel" like it will hold it night after night. I could take the snack sack out and hang it beside it but I would like everything to be together. Anyone had this problem before?

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 09:21
JMHO, but this is another one of those areas of ultralight hiking I abhor. When companies sacrifice durability to shave a half ounce. If it's something I have to rely on, I would rather carry an extra half pound total than have something fail.
I have never owned one of these, but have seen stuff sacks break and tear on trails before. I look at my cheap 3.99 ones from wallyworld, and they dont break or stretch. Carry the extra half oz and get better ones.

Appalachian Tater
09-08-2006, 09:48
OR Hydrolite stuff sacks are strong, waterproof, and lightweight. My foodbags were very heavy but there was never a problem with the stuff sacks.

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 09:52
That's a fairly large bag and, if filled, I would imagine it could weight quite a bit. Not sure Equinox publishes "max bag weights" for their silnylon stuff sacks but you could always contact them and ask. Just as a base of reference, I use an Equinox 7" x 17" and it will generally hold up to 6 days worth (approx 12 -14 lbs) of food. I've used the same bag for quite a while now and it is holding up well.

'Slogger

Earl Grey
09-09-2006, 12:11
That's a fairly large bag and, if filled, I would imagine it could weight quite a bit. Not sure Equinox publishes "max bag weights" for their silnylon stuff sacks but you could always contact them and ask. Just as a base of reference, I use an Equinox 7" x 17" and it will generally hold up to 6 days worth (approx 12 -14 lbs) of food. I've used the same bag for quite a while now and it is holding up well.

'Slogger

Went and checked out their stuff sacks and they had only one size. 22x27 which is pretty big. Also I couldnt tell if it had a webbing on the bottom for hanging upside down.

Footslogger
09-09-2006, 15:01
Went and checked out their stuff sacks and they had only one size. 22x27 which is pretty big. Also I couldnt tell if it had a webbing on the bottom for hanging upside down.

============================

I own several sizes of the Equinox silnylon stuff sacks and they all have a handle/strap at the bottom.

Here's a link to my source for Equinox stuff sacks.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EQ1000

Based on the pictures I'd say that they all have the webbing on the bottom.

'Slogger

Earl Grey
09-09-2006, 19:54
============================

I own several sizes of the Equinox silnylon stuff sacks and they all have a handle/strap at the bottom.

Here's a link to my source for Equinox stuff sacks.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EQ1000

Based on the pictures I'd say that they all have the webbing on the bottom.

'Slogger

Sorry I meant the wally world one.