PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

whizbang
09-07-2006, 23:00
I'm planning to use my Golight 40 degree <1lb bag (no mummy, no zipper to vent) with a 4.5 oz silk liner (+10 degrees?) and an old Sierra Designs waterproof bivvy sack (+8 degrees?) w/bug screen under my tarp. I'm usually a pretty warm sleeper, but have done most of my camping in the West where we don't have humidity. Am I going to freeze my bottom off? I am figuring that wearing the right clothes and balaclava and using the bizzy sack and liner will do the job, but would appreciate your comments.

HapKiDo
09-07-2006, 23:11
What are you going to use as a sleeping pad?:-?

Problem with early Spring backpacking is that the ground is cold and it takes a while to warm up. (Which is why I like Fall when the ground still has some residual warmth from summer.)

You may have some miserable nights, but only a couple as you can purchase a warmer sleeping bag at WalasiYi Mountain Crossings Outfitters at Neel Gap, only 30.7 miles from Springer.

Do I think you're crazy? We're ALL a bit crazy to Thru Hike, aren't we?

40* bag seems ten degrees shy even using the added layers. (I'm using a 15* bag with a coolmax liner and a Salathe' (ID) bivy and a 5x8 siltarp.) My sleeping pad is the 3 oz Uber Micro pad when the ground warms up and that and a thin closed cell pad for cold-ground weather.

How cold has the weather been when you've used the described sleep system?

HapKiDo:-?

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2006, 23:17
Whizbang--

In that I don't know when you're starting, I have no idea if you're crazy.

What you've got will probably be OK, tho you may be sleeping in mittens and a hat for awhile.

Personally, I think you're better off with a warmer sleeping bag at the beginning, some sort of sleeping pad, and you can lose the bivy.

Your present bag/liner combo will probably NOT be sufficient for March in Georgia and North Carolina, especially the Smokies and other high areas, as there is an excellent chance you'll encounter temperatures in the twenties or less at some point.

Were I you, I'd start out with warmer gear, or else not leave Springer til April.

whizbang
09-08-2006, 00:06
Forgot to mention those things: I use a long Ridgrest pad and plan a March 15th or so start date. I plan to use gloves and and balaclava and a hat. I have been comfortable to around 25 or so here, but the weather there is so different.
Using the liner and bivvy adds probably 12-15 degrees to the bag (subtracts?), and dressing right adds another few, so it feels almost like a 20 degree bag to me. I figure I can find a leaf pile al la Sgt. Rock if it gets really bad;).

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 09:12
This is just my personal experience, but I've been comfortable at 30F with 40% humidity, and froze my butt off at 30F and 60% humidity here in Fl. As you may not be used to humidity, it has a huge effect on what they call the heat index, or conversely I guess you could say the "cold" index. I would start off with warmer gear, just get a 20F bag til it warms up in April. It will only be an extra pound, and night time comfort is not a place I cut weight.
Good luck next year.
Chuck

Just Jeff
09-08-2006, 12:59
whizbang - several times I've walked through a parking lot in Colorado in ~20F with short sleeves and gotten nothing more than a slight chill. Fat chance of that happening back East. Humidity makes it feel bitter cold at those temps, immediately after you step out the door.

Only you know for sure how you'll sleep in that setup, but as Amigi said, I'd encourage you to seriously consider the difference caused by humidity.

whizbang
09-08-2006, 13:20
I think I'll start with the 20 and save the 40 till Mt Rodgers. I think I was underestimating the humidity back east. Thanks for the help and advice. I am obsessing about the trail these days!

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 14:05
I think I'll start with the 20 and save the 40 till Mt Rodgers. I think I was underestimating the humidity back east. Thanks for the help and advice. I am obsessing about the trail these days!
Many of us know exactly how you feel. You didnt say if you are a regular hiker, but if not, you may well become one! :welcome to the club!:D
Again, good luck next year, read WB daily, and be safe.
Chuck

hopefulhiker
09-08-2006, 14:24
Ive tried the water proof bivy had problems with condensation on the bag... I have known people who hike with a 40 degree bag.. I personally would use a 30 degree...

boarstone
09-08-2006, 16:07

It's easier to cool off than to warm up...think about this in your planning...if you ain't got it, your cold!...

mweinstone
09-08-2006, 16:28
the old bivi is not good. the bag sucks. the everything sucks. but it certanly will work. and work fine. also you will save money using it till it dies and its cool to get the last bit of life out of a bag and a bivi and a pad and a tarp and a liner and a hat and mittens and extre clothes.but then buy some newness. then supersize the newness.this year scary gary is thru hiking with way less. two old ponchos with all there waterproof gone. a pad from hell and his clothes.but then his meds keep him warm too.and he pees on himself to warm up. and plays with himself in the morn. anyway, sorry i got morbid there but they are the mans own words and me and minnisota smith saw him in his two ponchos at 25 *. he had no bag at all.this is a good lesson. our comfort levells are so so so vairiable. we can vary them at will. it takes trainning and sleeping with no heat and windows open for years but its doable. sometimes me and max my son went cold camping and i only bring a liner. because if your in condition for it, anything can work fine. your used to your stuff so its good for you. i really like to see thrusters with little or no new gear once in a while. it makes us fat bastards with our 900 fill marmots stop and concider if we possibly could do with alot less. and the answer is yes. mankind comes from alot less. so having less these days is very grounding and good.

weary
09-08-2006, 16:42
I'm planning to use my Golight 40 degree <1lb bag (no mummy, no zipper to vent) with a 4.5 oz silk liner (+10 degrees?) and an old Sierra Designs waterproof bivvy sack (+8 degrees?) w/bug screen under my tarp. I'm usually a pretty warm sleeper, but have done most of my camping in the West where we don't have humidity. Am I going to freeze my bottom off? I am figuring that wearing the right clothes and balaclava and using the bizzy sack and liner will do the job, but would appreciate your comments.
It really depends on when you start. I carried a 45-50 degree sleeping bag liner in 1993, but didn't start until April 15.

Also I carried a down jacket and long johns, which I slept in on cold nights.

From time to time, I awoke to find ice in the bottom of my cooking pot, but never was I dangerously cold.

Weary

Twofiddy
09-08-2006, 16:49
Forgot to mention those things: I use a long Ridgrest pad and plan a March 15th or so start date. I plan to use gloves and and balaclava and a hat. I have been comfortable to around 25 or so here, but the weather there is so different.
Using the liner and bivvy adds probably 12-15 degrees to the bag (subtracts?), and dressing right adds another few, so it feels almost like a 20 degree bag to me. I figure I can find a leaf pile al la Sgt. Rock if it gets really bad;).

Just FYI in 2003 during the second weekend of April, it was 12* and the smokies got 40" of snow. A 40* bag is cutting it real close if you ask me. I know that people can stay warm in that kind of bag but you are gonna have to have the right clothing compliment, and then remember to keep that clothing dry during hiking hours of the day.

Personally I'd lean towards a warmer bag and a lesser clothing compliment because it seams like a safer bet.