PDA

View Full Version : Homemade VS Store Stove

Bravo
09-07-2006, 23:08
Besides cost what are the advantages and disadvantages to making your own alcohol stove. Anyone here bought one and made one? What do you like more and why?

Thanks

SGT Rock
09-08-2006, 02:50
Homemade. But I sell homemade stoves so you can get the best of both worlds LOL.

Bravo
09-08-2006, 08:40
That's funny. I'll keep that in mind. HaHa

Fiddler
09-08-2006, 09:50
Are you asking out of curiosity, or trying to decide which you want?
I used a small Coleman gas stove way back. Instant startup, hot, efficient enough for my needs. Before that I made small wood fires. About 3 years ago I built my first alcohol stove, a basic Pepsi stove. Took about 15 seconds for full startup, maybe not quite as hot burning as the gas but more than enough for hiking use, and more efficient considering weight and bulk. Since then I have made and used many different alky stoves. I still like to tinker with them, trying to improve them, trying different designs, etc. At this point I don't see myself going back to gas.

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 09:54
I own and use a Trangia alcohol stove and I have both made and bought some of the beer/soda can style ones. The home made stoves worked but not as well as my Trangia and were much more fragile. I've used the same Trangia burner now since 1999 and it works as well today as it did when I purchased it. The Trangia went all the way to Katahdin with me in 2003.

'Slogger

Blissful
09-08-2006, 10:14
Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame"). The guy at Anti Gravity said there was something wrong. My son got a stove made for him by Tinker at Trail Days and it's great so far. It is more fragile but it burned much more cleanly and used less fuel.

Alligator
09-08-2006, 10:21
Just an outsiders observation. Homemade stoves are a gateway obsession. You'll soon find yourself out of sight in the garage, tinsnips in hand, carving up beer cans. Then you'll be stopping at Lowe's after work, wandering the aisles, looking for fiberglass. But it doesn't stop there. By "chance" you'll pull over to a yard sale and you'll see a sewing machine. "Hey, I could make a hat or a neck gaitor:-? " Pretty soon you're dropping into the Wal-mart after Lowe's, looking for silnylon on clearance. I've seen wild-eyed folks like this, stroking every piece of fabric in the sewing department. When the sewing club starts looking attractive...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 10:22
[quote=Blissful]Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame").
=================================

Wow ...sorry to hear that Blissful. We own 2 Trangia burners because my wife and I somtimes hike solo and always carry our own stoves. That said ...both of our Trangias work extremely well.

Might not be the burner per se that is causing the orange flames and excess consumption. Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
09-08-2006, 12:04
Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear.

DYI gear = Do Yourself In. Fitting appraisal.

Two Speed
09-08-2006, 12:55
. . . Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'SloggerAnd fuel? Using a good grade of denatured alcohol?

littlelaurel59
09-08-2006, 13:05
...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!

I confess: I am a homemadegearaholic. :eek: It started innocently enough with a coke can. I tried one; then another. I tried cat food cans, chicken cans, olive cans, tomato paste cans. Before you know it, I was trying steel can twig stoves. Then things got serious- I bought a dehydrator! I dried fruits. Vegetables. Made beef jerky. Made my own meals.

Alas- I went hardcore: I learned to sew!! Backpacking quilt. Hammock. Tarp. Underquilt. Searching through WalMart and Ebay for fabric.

If you buy an alcohol stove, you will HAVE an alcohol stove.
If you make an alcohol stove, you may develop an ADDICTION:banana

Blissful
09-08-2006, 13:48
Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame").
=================================

Might not be the burner per se that is causing the orange flames and excess consumption. Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'Slogger

Yeah, the Anitgravity guy said it was likely a ventilation problem. I don't think ours came with a stand. Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one? Or maybe we can just use the chicken wire / fencing type stuff Tinker used when he made the beer can one. Not sure exactly what it is. And we finally figured out we needed a windscreen a while back. Like duh. :) The alcohol we got I think came from Lowes.

We also have a lot of this silver foam insulation stuff that is wrapped around frozen products when shipped in the mail. My son made a pot cozy with it and that helps cut the cooking time and saves fuel.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 14:00
Besides cost what are the advantages and disadvantages to making your own alcohol stove. Anyone here bought one and made one? What do you like more and why?

Thanks
There are tons of ppl here at WB who own both a store bought and homeade stove, myself included. I prefer my Coleman Peak 1, but have an alcohol stove ( SGT Rock's Ion stove ), that I also love.
I tend to use my Coleman when camping and on longer hikes when I dont want to deal with Denat. If I am hiking a weekend, I prefer my Al stove since it's smaller and fits in my day pack better.

Be warned, making alcohol stove can be VERY addictive. I now live on streets, collecting cans to feed my addiction. Do it yourself kit for $20? J/K.:D

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 14:29
[quote=Blissful]. Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one?
======================================

I have the "Westwind" stand. Came with the Trangia burner. I drilled it full of 1/4" holes to lighten it up a bit and modified the edges so that it would support a windscreen made out of aluminum flashing. The winscreen rests on the stand about 1/2" or so off the ground and allows for excellent ventillation while still keeping the wind away from the flame.

Here's a link to a website that shows the stand:

http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=327497

You might be able to buy the stand only ??

'Slogger

Skidsteer
09-08-2006, 21:26
Just an outsiders observation. Homemade stoves are a gateway obsession. You'll soon find yourself out of sight in the garage, tinsnips in hand, carving up beer cans. Then you'll be stopping at Lowe's after work, wandering the aisles, looking for fiberglass. But it doesn't stop there. By "chance" you'll pull over to a yard sale and you'll see a sewing machine. "Hey, I could make a hat or a neck gaitor:-? " Pretty soon you're dropping into the Wal-mart after Lowe's, looking for silnylon on clearance. I've seen wild-eyed folks like this, stroking every piece of fabric in the sewing department. When the sewing club starts looking attractive...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!

Outsider my a$$! :D Either you or a close relative of yours is an addict.

You speak the lingo. ;)

speedy
09-08-2006, 23:52
I've made dozens of alky stoves and have bought both multifuel and cannister stoves. Personally I love my canister stove (MSR pocket rocket). I can have a cup of hot chocolate or instant coffee ready in about one minute from the time I take the stove/pot/fuel out of the stuff sack. That kind of speed is worth the tiny insignificant weight penalty (http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=2&cid=57) in my book, and I pack really light. Pretty much all I do is freezer bag stuff, so I don't ever have a need for it, but simmering is also much easier on a cannister stove. It can sometimes be dificult to judge just how much fuel you need with an alcohol stove. Leaving you with unburnt fuel in the stove and having to try to pour it back into the container or let it evaporate.

Out of all the stoves I made, my favorite by far is SGT Rock's Ion stove (http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove.html). I still take it for weekend trips in warm weather.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone has tried the BushBuddy (http://bushbuddy.ca/) stove. I really think that might be the ticket for a thru, but there's no way I'm paying $96 not being sure I'd like it.

Overall, I'd say alcohol stoves are a lot more fun to make than to take. :D speedy

Tinker
09-08-2006, 23:58
Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame"). The guy at Anti Gravity said there was something wrong. My son got a stove made for him by Tinker at Trail Days and it's great so far. It is more fragile but it burned much more cleanly and used less fuel.

Must've been another Tinker:D.

I've only given one of my stoves away, to a Backpacker Forum user.

I make and use Supercat stoves. There isn't any reason to try anything else. It's lighter and more efficient than any homemade stove out there (and easier to make, if you make it my way - explained elsewhere on this site).

hikerjohnd
09-09-2006, 00:22
Maybe I am doing something wrong with my purchased homemade stoves (I have never mede one of my own) but I just do not see the attraction. Using Rock's ion stove as an example (sorry Sgt Rock - I do carry an ion in my daypack for emergency or if I want a warm snack) you have a large center hole and these little holes arounf the perimeter of the stove. Once it is lit, the flame just comes out of the big hole in the middle. What is the point of the little holes? I have the same experience with pepsi can stoves. Maybe a pressurized stove (penny style) is a better option, homemade or store bought.

Tinker
09-09-2006, 00:29
Pressurized stoves often shoot the alcohol beyond the bottom of the pot to be burned on the way up the sides. A low pressure Supercat (with large burner holes) which you set your pot directly on, saving you the weight of a pot support, and more weight because you need a shorter windscreen, is currently the most efficient design I've seen.

Blissful
09-09-2006, 17:32
[quote=Blissful]. Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one?
======================================

I have the "Westwind" stand. Came with the Trangia burner. I drilled it full of 1/4" holes to lighten it up a bit and modified the edges so that it would support a windscreen made out of aluminum flashing. The winscreen rests on the stand about 1/2" or so off the ground and allows for excellent ventillation while still keeping the wind away from the flame.

Here's a link to a website that shows the stand:

http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=327497

You might be able to buy the stand only ??

'Slogger

Shoot, it never came with the stand. Maybe we can make one. Thanks.

Blissful
09-09-2006, 17:34
Must've been another Tinker:D.

I've only given one of my stoves away, to a Backpacker Forum user.

Yeah, this was a young guy, looked like he was early twenties. Had a sign at trail days - "free stoves." Made a great one too. :)

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 17:47
[quote=Footslogger]

Shoot, it never came with the stand. Maybe we can make one. Thanks.

I made an aftermarket titanium stand for the things. I sold a few. If you don't have a stand and you are interested, I may still have some in stock back in Tennessee.

Smile
09-09-2006, 17:58
IMHO it's good to support the home made stoves, they're created with attention to detail by hikers and have really had an opportunity to see what works, not the big manufacterer don't do their homework - but I'd rather support a fellow AT'er or WB'er anyday :)

Johnny Swank
10-26-2006, 20:26
Right after finishing the hem on my new down quilt that cost $30:sun

and washing the 3oz windshirt that actually has sleeves that fit,

and........

God I love making stuff. Packs, some clothes, now the down gear, hammock stuff. I think if I were to do another hike I would try to make 95% of the gear used. I'm getting closer with every project.

Cheaper, field repairable, lighter, and just cooler. Who cares it the seams aren't 100% straight:cool:

TN_Hiker
10-27-2006, 09:38
Maybe I am doing something wrong with my purchased homemade stoves (I have never mede one of my own) but I just do not see the attraction. Using Rock's ion stove as an example (sorry Sgt Rock - I do carry an ion in my daypack for emergency or if I want a warm snack) you have a large center hole and these little holes arounf the perimeter of the stove. Once it is lit, the flame just comes out of the big hole in the middle. What is the point of the little holes? I have the same experience with pepsi can stoves. Maybe a pressurized stove (penny style) is a better option, homemade or store bought.

You are not waiting long enough......depending on the outside temps. this could be less than a minute. You need to let the stove "bloom". When you first light it, yes flames shoot out the big hole. Once the fuel starts boiling, the vapors will come out of the little holes instead. It makes sense if you see one in action, but hard to explain. The addiction part is so true!!!

highway
11-04-2006, 03:19
Pressurized stoves often shoot the alcohol beyond the bottom of the pot to be burned on the way up the sides. A low pressure Supercat (with large burner holes) which you set your pot directly on, saving you the weight of a pot support, and more weight because you need a shorter windscreen, is currently the most efficient design I've seen.

I do agree. In fact, it is the only stove that has made me start leaving my venerable 'ole Trangia at home. I make them from potted meat cans and use a 3/4 wind shield and the whole thing just weighs 1/2 ounce and is as alcohol frugal as the Trangia. But the Trangia is just the best looking of the lot, but regrettably heavier:D !