PDA

View Full Version : Getting To/From Long Trail

hammock engineer
09-08-2006, 00:28
I am headed out to the LT in October and I am having problems setting up my travel arrangements. The End-to-End guide I got from the GMC says that there is no bus service to the north end. Does anyone know a way I can get there without driving?

Also for the southern end it states that there is a bus station in Williamstown, VT. I checked the greyhound website and vermonttransit.com, and I could not find any info on it. Anyone know about this bus station.

I am planning on going south to north starting at the beginning of October if that helps.

Tramper Al
09-08-2006, 07:01
Hi HE,

Williamstown is in Massachusetts, and is in fact your nearest large town to the trail's South "terminus". If you look at your Long Trail map, you should be able to see Williamstown just southwest of where the AT crosses the border into VT to become the LT. You can walk the Pine Cobble Trail in to start the LT, also evident in both map and guide.

I am a bit confused as to how/why you want to get TO the North terminus without driving, since as you say you are hiking South to North. Are you driving to North Jay to park, and then trying to get by bus to Williamstown, or are you making the entire trip (to and from home) without driving, and thus want to walk out at North Jay and find your way to civilization? So, I will address how you might get FROM the North terminus without driving.

Many use the services of Rose Apple Acres (http://www.roseappleacres.com/hikers/index.htm) for a shuttle from trailhead to Newport, VT, for example. You can also stay the night and/or leave your car there for $1/day. It used to be the case that you could pick up Vermont Transit in Newport, but I believe this is no longer so, as you have likely seen on the Vermount Transit website. I have, however, seen a recent reference to Rural Community Transport (RCT) - 802-748-8170 - as a means to get from Newport to connect with Vermont Transit, so you might give them a call.

I hope this helps . . .

hammock engineer
09-08-2006, 10:32
Hi HE,

Williamstown is in Massachusetts, and is in fact your nearest large town to the trail's South "terminus". If you look at your Long Trail map, you should be able to see Williamstown just southwest of where the AT crosses the border into VT to become the LT. You can walk the Pine Cobble Trail in to start the LT, also evident in both map and guide.

I am a bit confused as to how/why you want to get TO the North terminus without driving, since as you say you are hiking South to North. Are you driving to North Jay to park, and then trying to get by bus to Williamstown, or are you making the entire trip (to and from home) without driving, and thus want to walk out at North Jay and find your way to civilization? So, I will address how you might get FROM the North terminus without driving.

Many use the services of Rose Apple Acres (http://www.roseappleacres.com/hikers/index.htm) for a shuttle from trailhead to Newport, VT, for example. You can also stay the night and/or leave your car there for $1/day. It used to be the case that you could pick up Vermont Transit in Newport, but I believe this is no longer so, as you have likely seen on the Vermount Transit website. I have, however, seen a recent reference to Rural Community Transport (RCT) - 802-748-8170 - as a means to get from Newport to connect with Vermont Transit, so you might give them a call.

I hope this helps . . .

Ahh Massachusetts, thinks I knew I was missing something. I found that city on the greyhound website. I was starting to consider hiking on to another town, but it looks like I won't have to.

I saw the Rose Apple reference in the guide book. I was looking into non-driving ways b/c I do not want to leave my car sit for a month, and I was not finding a way back to get it after I finish. I'll contact RCT and see what happens.

Thanks, that does help a bunch.

Rough
09-10-2006, 13:39
The Green Mountain Club keeps an informal list of local club members willing to shuttle hikers to/from Long Trail tralheads in their areas.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/
(802) 244-7037

Matt Larson (extension 10) is the Office Coordinator/General Information person and is very helpful.

JoeHiker
09-11-2006, 16:14
Last year for my North to South hike, I took a bus from Boston's South Station to Montpelier VT (which I believe I booked on from the Vermont Transit site). I got a ride from a kind soul from Montpelier to the northern Terminus.

My plan when I got to North Adams was to take a Cab to Pittsfield and then take the train into Boston. I don't think a cab that distance will set anyone back too much.

Tramper Al
09-12-2006, 08:22
My plan when I got to North Adams was to take a Cab to Pittsfield and then take the train into Boston. I don't think a cab that distance will set anyone back too much.
Yes, that's another direction one can go to/from the Southern terminus. I would just add that there is excellent intercity bus service, provided by Berkshire Regional Transit Authority (http://www.berkshireplanning.org/3/2/4/), between towns like Williamstown, North Adams, Adam and Pittsfield, costing like a dollar or two. There is a bus stop on Rt. 2 in North Adams, essentially where the AT crosses.

Coming from Cinncinati, however, it seems doubtful that the original poster would be travelling through Boston to/from the Long Trail. More likely Springfield or Albany, I would think.

bartender
09-12-2006, 12:27
In 2004 I took the Peter Pan bus from the Port Authority in NYC to Williamstown to start at the southern terminous. To get home I stayed at the Rose Apple BB, they picked me up at the Northern end, I took the tram down at Jays Peak to call them to set it up but I would reccomend that you do it sooner, I got lucky and they were able to shuttle me and had a room for me. The next morning they drove me to some mall that had a once a day bus to White River Junction and there I caught another bus to New Haven where I was stopping to visit a friend. They were great folks and I can't reccomend them enough. Good Luck!!

Crash! Bang!
01-18-2008, 11:23
what about getting from burlington airport to the northern terminus?

Deadeye
01-18-2008, 11:32
Unless I'm out of town for work, I can get you from Montpelier or Burlington to Journey's end, let me know when & where.

Strategic
01-18-2008, 12:22
HE! Good to see you home again. Still hoping to read those last few journal entries up to Springer (I'm not really nudging you on that, just couldn't resist throwing it in.) :D

For return from the northern LT terminus, you might also want to think about getting shuttled to St. Albans, VT (the GMC list is a fine place to locate one) where you can catch the Amtrak Vermonter. From there it would be that train to NYC, then the Cardinal/Hoosier State line to Cincinnati. It works to get you to the southern terminus as well; use the Cardinal/Hoosier State line to get to NYC, then take the Adirondack or the Ethan Allen Express line to Albany. From there, you can catch a Bonanza bus (it's actually owned by Peter Pan bus lines (http://www.peterpanbus.com/) now, as is Vermont Transit, though they seem to have eliminated all the actual Vermont routes) to Williamstown, MA (or possibly even past that point, they have a bus that goes to Greenfield, MA too, and it should go right down Rt. 2 by the North Adams trailhead for the AT, but whether or not they'll make a flag stop there for you is something you'd have to call and ask them.) That's my best take on going carless for the LT.

I'm a pretty firm advocate of mass transit to the trail if at all possible, and here in the middle Atlantic/southern NE region it's pretty easy to do, though much harder to plan if you're not familiar with the local services. I don't just mean national transit organizations like Amtrak or Peter Pan either, but all the local and regional transit systems too, which is tough because it means you have to find them first and then work out routes in unfamiliar places.

I've been thinking that there needs to be a proper mass transit guide for the AT, the LT, and as many other trails as could be done. I'd include the PCT there too, but the western trails are little know to me anymore, as I haven't hiked anywhere west of Utah since about 1981 and I have no idea of what kind of transit is even available in the much less accessible areas the PCT visits. Still, it might be possible even there. It's not something I'm likely to do immediately, but in a couple of years when I have the time to devote to what would be a monumental research project, but it could be worth it. Any ideas on that anyone?

cookiep
01-18-2008, 21:09
Hi I am really new at all this , but starting in Killington Vt. August 12 heading up the Long Trail to the Canadian border. Once we get there how do we get back to Killington. Also what is the closest airport in case we fly. Leaving from West Jefferson, N.C. (mountains of N.C.)Any insights about the trail and where to get more information would be appreciated. I am a distant hiker but have never backpacked before. I will have a trial run on Roan Mountain for 4 days in April. I am so stoked. I thank all my hiking friends for introducing me to hiking and this site. Thanks Cookie P

Crash! Bang!
01-18-2008, 22:00
thanks, deadeye. i will keep your offer in mind. i will be starting my southbound around september 1st

vonfrick
01-19-2008, 04:13
I am headed out to the LT in October and I am having problems setting up my travel arrangements. The End-to-End guide I got from the GMC says that there is no bus service to the north end. Does anyone know a way I can get there without driving?

Also for the southern end it states that there is a bus station in Williamstown, VT. I checked the greyhound website and vermonttransit.com, and I could not find any info on it. Anyone know about this bus station.

I am planning on going south to north starting at the beginning of October if that helps.

not to be a jerk, but isn't october like "mud season" and after hiking it in a non mud-season I can't imagine what a quagmire you may end up in. i'm thinkin hip-waders

Crash! Bang!
01-19-2008, 06:10
i think mud season is more like may/june, after all the springtime rain. maybe theres a second mud season:banana

vonfrick
01-19-2008, 11:23
my mistake, LT guide says usually late March through end of May, then second mud season LATE October till snowpack. GMC discourages use during those times.

DavidNH
01-19-2008, 12:02

There isn't any public transport up there. You either drive or walk or have someone else drive you.

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 17:13
Unless things have recently changed, Williamstown is served by Peter Pan bus lines (they have a website with more info www.peterpanbus.com).

There's no actual station but they will let you out by the Williams Inn at the center of town. if you tell your driver you want out at Williamstown.

There's not a whole lot up at the other end; you might want to chack out the literature from the GMC and contact a local shutller as you approach the Northern end of the Trail.

Depending on what time of day your bus arrives, remember that you can camp behind the Mt. Goat outfitter in the center in town......great folks!

emerald
01-19-2008, 17:30
You're right, Jack. The northern end's always been the bigger challenge. I'd like to see a better solution, but it's a pretty remote location.

I agree, the best and most current information is apt to be obtained from GMC.

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 14:36
Wow I just got off the AT yesterday and I am getting advice on the LT. Check the date, I was up there Oct 06, thanks though.

I only ended up doing the northern 80 of the LT in Oct. I have family up there that helped me out. They said this year they did not get their first big snow (read a lot of snow by VT standards) until Nov/Dec. The only issue I had up there was the cold and darkness. Actually a lot lighter and warmer than the south in Dec/Jan. A great time of year to see VT. Plenty of views with the leaves off the trees.

There are a couple really wondiful people in Dalton, Mass that take in hikers. I am thinking about doing the LT again. From the southern end of the LT to Dalton is only around 18 miles or so on the AT. If you are hiking south you will walk within a mile of a major grocery store just inside of MA to get an extra day's food. There is another small store the AT passes the next day. If you got ahold of one of the guys in Dalton and offered to pitch in a little I am sure they will help. There is also a bus service that would take you the extra distance, but Greylock was a nice hike.

If it helps I tried to hitch on both roads into North Adams this fall and wasn't able to get aride to the PO.

I am working on the last 3 journal entries. It was too cold to write the last night and I was too tired at Neel's gap and decided to do them all after I was done on a PC.

Strategic
01-22-2008, 01:14
Oops...one of these days I'm going to learn to check the date on a post. Can I just say...

DOH!

Still good to have you back and with a SOBO thru under your belt too.

bredler
02-29-2008, 02:37
What's the closest Amtrak station to the southern terminus? I would really prefer train travel for 10-13 hours over a bus for the same duration.

bredler
02-29-2008, 03:00
nevermind, did some snooping and I can get from Washington, D.C. to Pittsfield VT (about 30 min from Williamstown) for $71.10.

woot.

Frosty
02-29-2008, 03:01
What's the closest Amtrak station to the southern terminus? I would really prefer train travel for 10-13 hours over a bus for the same duration.None, really. It stops in Pittsfield, but you can't get to No Adams from there except by taxi or something. You'd need to take a train to Boston from DC, and then another train to Pittsfield. Best to just take the bus to Williamstown when you get to Boston.

You could also change trains in NYC and take the Montreal train and get off in Brattleboro, but you're still a long way from Wiliamstown and no good way to get there.

Frosty
02-29-2008, 03:02
nevermind, did some snooping and I can get from Washington, D.C. to Pittsfield VT (about 30 min from Williamstown) for $71.10.

woot.Pittsfield MA?

bredler
02-29-2008, 04:06
Pittsfield MA?

yep. It's with two transfers.

D.C.-->New Haven, CT-->Springfield, MA-->Pittsfield, MA.

At the same cost as a Bus, I'll take the train. More room and you can stand up, and there's snacks. Only disadvantage is that you have to wait in Springfield for the Lake Connector train to come through and it only comes by like twice a day, so the layover there is around four hours. But I'm okay with that for $71.10.

pedxing
03-15-2008, 17:34
Since you'll need a bus or a hitch from Pittsfield, you might consider going from Springfield and skipping the four hour layover - or if it doesn't involve a layover, you might consider a bus or a hitch from Amherst or Brattleboro.

Dogwood
03-15-2008, 23:46
U can take a Green Mountain Transit Authority bus from Mt.Pelier to Waterbury to Morrisville to decrease the distance between the northern terminus and from where U have to start hitching from on Rt. 100. The Morrisville bus leaves early and late in the day so U have to time it right because their is no service in the middle in the day. But, it's definitely doable! I did it. Same bus company leaves from Burlington to pts. slightly further north via GMTA transfers. Hitching in Vermont is relatively easy because there R alot of outdoorsy types(hikers, skiers, etc.), college age adults, health conscious people, arts and crafts types and ex-hippies. The people are friendly. Everyone who sees U with your pack is probably going to ask - so, hiking the Long Trail, hey, hop in I'm going in that direction! Most Vermonters R aware of and love their Long Trail! Rt 100 is busy and shouldn't pose much of a hitching problem. U will, however, most likely have to walk, mostly on a gravel road, for about 3 miles or so, to the northern TH. The odds R high that U will run into a Border Patrol Vehicle on this road. There R shelters near the Northern terminus so U can time a hitch out for early the next day after finishing your thru-hike. N. Adams, Mass. and vicinity has several public transportation options so shoudn't be a problem on the southern end. I didn't use Rose Valley(Acres) Farms??? but I hear good things about them;I know they will pick U up at several places but prefer to pick up/tansport hikers from Burlington. Give them a call as a viable option if U feel uncomfortable about hitching. The Long Trail guide lists several helpful trail angels in the area also. Be ready for mud just about anytime of the yr. and hiking north to south is definitely harder than hiking south to north. Waterbury has a great coffee shop located in an old converted railroad station where the Amtrak stops on a limited schedule. The railroad station is just a short walking distance from the GMTA bus transfer pt. to Morrisville. If U want a small journey before the Long Journey here is how U can do it!!! CARPE DIEM!

gonewalkabout
09-05-2008, 23:19
Watch out for the weather if you are starting in October. I did a SOBO in 04 starting around Hollowen and finihing a week before Thanksgiving. The weather up north is 2 weks ahead of that down south which is why I went SOBO. They already had snow a week before I started, Evening temps were in the 20.s to 12 for the first two weeks. Days varried from a high of 60 to 40. I SELPT WITH MY BOOTS AND THEY STILL FROZE ON MORE THAN ON OCASION. You may want to use vapor barrier socks or gore tex socks to help keep you boots dry so they wont freeze so easily.

Transportation: If you call the Vermont ride share corodantor he/she will tell you that there is bus/van from white water junction to Troy. BTW that he gave me the wrong times and I hitched instead restulting in a $70 ticket from a town cop. I tok a bus from Williamsburg to the Port Authority in NYC.

All in all it was a great trip I may repeat it this year only ran into one other thru hiker and only shared shelters twice. Left the tent at home. BTW that many hiker seevices listed in the end to enders guide won't be available in Oct.

Gonewalkabout

Peanut
02-28-2010, 11:35
Is there a list somewhere of people who are willing to shuttle Lt end-to-enders this summer, specifically from the Northern end?

pedxing
02-28-2010, 15:56
The E2E guide can be found on line at http://www.longtrailhiking.info - with each section map they list transportation options and make note of hostel and B&B owners who will do shuttling. The pickings are slim for shuttles dedicated to the northernmost stretch.

Definitely check out the "Shuttle to/from Burlington to Northern Terminus" thread in this forum. Rose Apple Acres used to be the go to source for shuttles to the Northern Terminus, but they've dropped out.

Also there is http://www.everywheretaxi.com/ - I'm not sure about their rates, but since they are based in Burlington you'd probably get a decent rate from there to or from Journey's End Trail.

Lastly, if you are going southbound - maybe someone will share a ride to the trailhead. I'll probably be trying a southbound E2E starting late July or early August. I'm not looking for anyone to do the trail with (not antisocial, just wouldn't want to commit to adjusting my schedule - or even meeting someone halfway - for several weeks) - but since shuttles are likely to be 100 dollars or more, splitting the cost seems like a good idea.

Dogwood
02-28-2010, 16:13
None, really. It stops in Pittsfield, but you can't get to No Adams from there except by taxi or something....

Old thread but I have taken buses from/to N. Adams from/to Pittsfield MA with connections to Williamstown. I think it was the Berks Regional Transit Area buslines(or something like that, check on buses into Pittsfield, you should find a connection), but do check since the last time I did it was in 2007.