PDA

View Full Version : fastpacking a tent

scope
09-08-2006, 12:40
I'm curious, in looking at tents, I see a number of freestanding doublewall tents that can be 'fastpacked', essentially leaving the inside tent section at home. Obviously, this offers a very lightweight shelter that would seemingly rival tarps.

However, I've never seen anybody do this on the trail, and in searching threads, I have not found any discussion about doing this.

I'm wondering, is there anybody out there that 'fastpacks' their tent? If not, and you've considered it, why not? If you do, what tent do you use?

Footslogger
09-08-2006, 12:43
I tried it a couple times with one of my Sierra Design tents. You still have to carry the tent poles. It works fine but if you're willing to go that route I'd suggest you consider a silnylon tarp. Accomplishes the same thing with significantly less weight.

'Slogger

Seeker
09-08-2006, 13:10
forgive my 'generalization', but it will simplify my response. i realize there are always exceptions, but large gear manufacturers deal with what sells, not the 'exceptions'.

people who use a tarp are generally comfortable doing so.

people who use a tent, do so because they "need" the mosquito netting, bathtub floor, and illusion of separation from nature/preservation of civilization with walls.

people who use a tarp can do so while carrying a lot less weight.

tent makers might be losing market share to tarp makers, and this 'fastpacking' mode may be a way to sell their heavy tents as 'lighter'...

just my guess. and if i offended anyone with my generalizations, i apologize. please view it as it was intended... it's marketing.

bigcranky
09-08-2006, 14:07
I tried it with a North Face solo tent that I had. You basically end up with a single-wall tent using the same pole(s). In order to pitch the TNF fly without the tent body, I had to use the very heavy TNF ground sheet made for that tent, which mostly negated any weight savings from leaving the inner tent at home.

A tarp is lighter, roomier, and more versatile.

foodbag
09-08-2006, 16:22
There's an interesting view of what looks like a Sierra Designs Light Year CD fastpack-pitched by one of the 4 hikers in "Trek", high up in the White Mountains during a storm. One look at the fly billowing around in the high winds and seeing the rain blowing inside said it all for me, and that was, "Bring the whole tent!"

Foodbag

Tractor
09-08-2006, 16:43
foodbag. I saw that clip and had the same idea. I'm not hammock or tarp comfy for now but did recently go with a lighter tent though - a Zoid 1. On short trips with good weather I may try leaving tent at home and bringing only the poles and rainfly?

scope. Although the zoid 2 tent, by itself, may be a heavy tent option (relative) it might be a good candidate for fastpack, especially if you happen upon one at a good price..... a quick search should get you specs.

Toolshed
09-08-2006, 21:56
I have used my SD Clip UltraFlash several times in this mode - I did break down and buy the floor so I could try the fastpack mode. It works OK, but sometimes I just feel like I should bring the whole tent for more protection.

Tinker
09-09-2006, 00:42
Fastpacking basically gives you a tarp, plus the weight of poles (which you don't need when tarp camping), the same bug protection (zero), and a floor which can become a swimming pool if the rain blows sideways. Using a large silnylon or spinnaker tarp with a small groundsheet made of plastic sheeting (see Gossamer Gear for their high strength, low weight material) is a much better alternative, imo. If bugs trouble you, you might want to look at Mountain Laurel Design's bug shelters. Unless your tent fly comes all the way to the ground with good ventilation up top, a tarp is probably a better option.
Or, if you hike solo, like me, a hammock, if you can get used to it, is the most logical option as long as you have trees. (no puddling on your groundsheet, as you won't have one, and no complaining about a sore back from that too thin pad).

scope
09-09-2006, 10:48
So, what I'm hearing is that the fastpacking weights are higher than typical tarp setup weights. Some fastpack weights are less than two lbs, but these are usually smaller tents, and I assume the tarps people carry are larger and perhaps can be staked at ground level to prevent rain coming in, which I know most tent rainfly's do not go all the way to the ground.

I guess this pretty much answers my question, that fastpacking is really not a viable lightweight option. That's fine, I'm going with a hammock anyway. Thanks to all for satisfying my curiosity.

Topcat
09-09-2006, 16:14
a friend i go on trips with has an REI dome and last time out, we used the footprint fly set up without the tent and it was awesome. he has a tent for harsher weather but in summer a lighter option and with only one purchase. We discused tarp camping and i am thinking of going that route myself. All things considered, i would rather cowboy it than anything, the greatest nights are those of staring at the stars while falling asleep.

Two Speed
09-09-2006, 16:19
Bought a footprint for my SD Lightyear, set the tent up and decided right there I wouldn't be doing that crap on the trail.