PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Tom Claytor's hammocks.

msupple
09-08-2006, 12:41
First off I'm new to hammocking and am I ever glad I found this site. I had never given it much thought until my daughter special requested a Clark Jungle Hammock with all the bells and whistles as her college graduation present. Is she cool or what? Being somewhat skeptical but curious I had to try it. Long story short, after three nights out I now consider myself an avid devotee!

After much research I'm pretty much decided Tom Claytor's hammocks fit my needs with the Clark in second place. Being minorly claustrophobic I like the way Tom's netting is suspended away from the face and spread out. I also like the built in pocket for an insulated pad and the fact that one side of the netting opens.

My question is which size to buy. I'm 6'2" @ 185lbs. The Expedition model is 8' long and the Jungle Hammock is 9'9". Both are 4'wide. I guess I'm concerned about the "banana back" syndrome. The Jungle model has a diamond fly and the Expedition has a rectangular fly. The rectangular fly has attachment points on the underside for attaching the netting during a heavy rain...a nice feature IMO. I don't believe the diamond fly has that feature. I suppose it could be added later. I suppose I also have the option of an after market fly.

Tom recommended getting the Expedition and then sending it back if I don't like it. Personally I'm thinking bigger is better (and more comfortable) and am leaning toward the Jungle Hammock. Any advice you are willing to dole out to this humble newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Tom's Hammocks can be seen at www.mosquitohammocks.com (http://www.mosquitohammocks.com)

Thanks, Mike Supple

msupple
09-08-2006, 12:45
Oops! the website is www.mosquitohammock.com (http://www.mosquitohammock.com) ....no "s" on the end.

frequency
09-08-2006, 16:29
sounds heavy...would be concerned by the extreme bow the pictures indicate. checkout Patrick at www.kickassquilts.com (http://www.kickassquilts.com)
he seems to be as tall as you and uses a HH which is at least 11 oz lighter and less bowed (it seems to me) and his descriptions indicate he is comfortable.

neo
09-08-2006, 18:59
First off I'm new to hammocking and am I ever glad I found this site. I had never given it much thought until my daughter special requested a Clark Jungle Hammock with all the bells and whistles as her college graduation present. Is she cool or what? Being somewhat skeptical but curious I had to try it. Long story short, after three nights out I now consider myself an avid devotee!

After much research I'm pretty much decided Tom Claytor's hammocks fit my needs with the Clark in second place. Being minorly claustrophobic I like the way Tom's netting is suspended away from the face and spread out. I also like the built in pocket for an insulated pad and the fact that one side of the netting opens.

My question is which size to buy. I'm 6'2" @ 185lbs. The Expedition model is 8' long and the Jungle Hammock is 9'9". Both are 4'wide. I guess I'm concerned about the "banana back" syndrome. The Jungle model has a diamond fly and the Expedition has a rectangular fly. The rectangular fly has attachment points on the underside for attaching the netting during a heavy rain...a nice feature IMO. I don't believe the diamond fly has that feature. I suppose it could be added later. I suppose I also have the option of an after market fly.

Tom recommended getting the Expedition and then sending it back if I don't like it. Personally I'm thinking bigger is better (and more comfortable) and am leaning toward the Jungle Hammock. Any advice you are willing to dole out to this humble newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Tom's Hammocks can be seen at www.mosquitohammocks.com (http://www.mosquitohammocks.com)

Thanks, Mike Supple

i love my tom claytor hammock. i have the camo jungle hammock
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12610&catid=member&imageuser=3462

i use mine with a 12x12 camo tarp

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

i use a full length military thermareat between the double layers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Therm-a-Rest-Sleeping-pad-Military-Thermarest_W0QQitemZ200021331405QQcmdZViewItem#eba yphotohosting

its my favorite hammock:cool: neo

neo
09-08-2006, 19:00
sounds heavy...would be concerned by the extreme bow the pictures indicate. checkout Patrick at www.kickassquilts.com (http://www.kickassquilts.com)
he seems to be as tall as you and uses a HH which is at least 11 oz lighter and less bowed (it seems to me) and his descriptions indicate he is comfortable.

i sleep perfect in my jungle hammock:cool: neo

neo
09-08-2006, 19:05

i am only 5 ft 7 in and the expedition was not comfortable i sent both hammock back and he sent me 2 jungle hammocks at no extra charge
with out the tarps,but i alreaddy had a tarp for it,go for the jungle hammock
i can vouch for it,i paid 140 buckks for 2 of them with no tarps:cool: neo

my sons jungle hammock with guide gear tarp
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12223&catid=member&imageuser=3462

my jungle hammock with guide gear tarp
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12610&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12096&catid=member&imageuser=3462

msupple
09-09-2006, 11:18
Neo ...thanks for the response. I do have a few more specific questions.

1. From what I've read I think I prefer a rectangular or square tarp. The Jungle model comes with a diamond shaped tarp. I really like the looks of the MacCat Deluxe but I'm not sure the cost is worth it. Your Opinion?
2.I really like the double bottom which allows the easy insertion of a sleeping pad. Does the pad stay in place once it's inserted. There doesn't seem to be a closure on the opening. Will it work it's way out after a while.
3. The netting. Does it have to be entirely unzipped to enter the hammock and if so, is it easy to re zip once in your sleeping bag. Can you easily get to the pull at the opposite end of the hammock? Does the zipper work easily or does the material bunch up/distort making it difficult?
4. Netting suspension. I like the three suspension loops from the netting at the head end of the hammock. It's one of the specific reasons I like these hammocks. Most hammocks seem to have a single suspension point. I tried a Clark and the netting was either near or actually touching my face. Does the Claytor suspension system work as well as I envision and have you tried placing a stick across it as shown on his website? It seems to be very roomy around the head area with the netting well away from your face. Is this true?
5.How does it sleep on the diagonal. Do you think I'll be able to sleep on my side "realatively" flat at 6'2"? Also one of the other posters mentioned the curvature of the hammock. Is that an issue or just the way the pic was taken or hammock strung? Will my new moniker be "Banana Boy"?

That's all that comes to mind right now. I know that there are legions of Hennesy owners out there but I just can't get past that bottom entry thing and the inability to unzip the netting...not to mention the ability to conveniently insert your sleeping pad. Is there some reason not many people seem to be using this hammock or is it just marketing etc.

Thanks again, Michael

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 11:33

1. From what I've read I think I prefer a rectangular or square tarp. The Jungle model comes with a diamond shaped tarp. I really like the looks of the MacCat Deluxe but I'm not sure the cost is worth it. Your Opinion?

I used a square tarp but switched to a diamond orientation before I ever got my Hennessy. It just made sense once you do it. I own a MacCat and like it when I hike with my boys, but otherwise I stick with the stock diamond shaped tarp. That said, preference is preference, if you like a rectangle tarp they are out there.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I know that there are legions of Hennesy owners out there but I just can't get past that bottom entry thing and the inability to unzip the netting...not to mention the ability to conveniently insert your sleeping pad. Is there some reason not many people seem to be using this hammock or is it just marketing etc.

Thanks again, Michael

The bottom entry is actually very cool ;)

The reason people use the hammock is it sort of figured out a lot of the things other hammocks are playing catch up on. It has everything you need to go in one very light package. It isn't the best hammock, and I would say it isn't all that heavily marketed unless you count that Tom himself actually shows up at hiker events with them and shows them off. IMO Ed Speer spends a lot more time out there with his hammocks but they haven't caught on as well - even though they are great hammocks too.

neo
09-09-2006, 11:41

2.I really like the double bottom which allows the easy insertion of a sleeping pad. Does the pad stay in place once it's inserted. There doesn't seem to be a closure on the opening. Will it work it's way out after a while.
3. The netting. Does it have to be entirely unzipped to enter the hammock and if so, is it easy to re zip once in your sleeping bag. Can you easily get to the pull at the opposite end of the hammock? Does the zipper work easily or does the material bunch up/distort making it difficult?
4. Netting suspension. I like the three suspension loops from the netting at the head end of the hammock. It's one of the specific reasons I like these hammocks. Most hammocks seem to have a single suspension point. I tried a Clark and the netting was either near or actually touching my face. Does the Claytor suspension system work as well as I envision and have you tried placing a stick across it as shown on his website? It seems to be very roomy around the head area with the netting well away from your face. Is this true?
5.How does it sleep on the diagonal. Do you think I'll be able to sleep on my side "realatively" flat at 6'2"? Also one of the other posters mentioned the curvature of the hammock. Is that an issue or just the way the pic was taken or hammock strung? Will my new moniker be "Banana Boy"?

Thanks again, Michael

i use the 12x12 camo tarp from the sportmans guide for 40 bucks
it has excellent coverage,the 8x10 tarp he sell is not long enough for this hammock
the double bottom works great,the pad stay in place,another good thing about the doulbe bottom is in real warm weather i dont use a pad,it will
keep mosquitos from biteing your underside,on the netting unzip it almost all the way to avoid stressing the zipper
i sleep fairly flat and mor comfortable than in my hennessey,i quit using any of my hennessey hammocks
reason being a lot of people here dont use them,most people dont know about them,peter pan and smee smell the mosquito version on their website. http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Mosquito%20Hammock.htm
neo:cool:

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 15:25
Um...actually Pan and Smee SELL the mosquito version on their website. :D

Heater
09-09-2006, 15:28
Um...actually Pan and Smee SELL the mosquito version on their website. :D

If they were to smell them, would that make it used equipment? :-?

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 15:28
Not necessarily, but it would make a good picture.

eric_plano
09-09-2006, 17:40
A couple of extra questions to tag on to this :)

1. Are the Claytor hammocks asym?...no mention that I can find on the website. If not, is this a downside? Maybe a silly question but I'm new to the hammock thing and trying to decide.

2. Would a mosquito hammock be durable enough for a thru hike?

Thanks for any info and for the amount of information already in this forum section!

neo
09-09-2006, 21:44
A couple of extra questions to tag on to this :)

1. Are the Claytor hammocks asym?...no mention that I can find on the website. If not, is this a downside? Maybe a silly question but I'm new to the hammock thing and trying to decide.

2. Would a mosquito hammock be durable enough for a thru hike?

Thanks for any info and for the amount of information already in this forum section!

1.non asym design,but you can lay asymetrically.
2.very durable and only 59.00 bucks:cool: neo

chowhound
09-09-2006, 23:02
I strongly recommend the MacCat Deluxe. I use one with my Clark Ultralight and love the extra space that it gives me to cook, dress, or just hang around when it rains. The stock Clark tarp will keep you dry in the hammock if you set it up properly, but doesn't leave room for anything else. I'm guessing that the stock Hennessy tarp is much the same.

Regarding the Tom Claytor hammocks - I have heard good things about the hammocks, but would not recommend the 8'X10' tarp. I ordered one, and it absolutely was not waterproof. I'm not talking about the seams, water at low pressure would come right through the sides. I didn't bother sending it back, since I had a use for the nylon, and at the time I bought it they only cost $25.

eric_plano
09-09-2006, 23:20
Not to hijack msupple's thread but:

I decided on the Expedition mosquito hammock for the pad sleeve. Do these come with 'tree huggers' or will I need to purchase them separately?
(The website mentions rope and I can't find any pictures detailed enough to differentiate)
Are Snakeskins are an HH only product or will they work with this hammock?

Thanks!

msupple
09-10-2006, 00:40
I think I've decided to get Claytor's Jungle Hammock for the extra space/length and the MacCat Deluxe tarp to keep me dry. I'd rather pay a bit more from the gitgo than be wishing I had later.

Thanks, Mike Supple

neo
09-10-2006, 08:24
Not to hijack msupple's thread but:

I decided on the Expedition mosquito hammock for the pad sleeve. Do these come with 'tree huggers' or will I need to purchase them separately?
(The website mentions rope and I can't find any pictures detailed enough to differentiate)
Are Snakeskins are an HH only product or will they work with this hammock?

Thanks!

you do not need tree huggers,this hammock use's webbing straps:cool: neo

whizbang
09-10-2006, 15:07
What about swinging in these hammocks? Can you rig an easy tie-out on the sides?

peter_pan
09-11-2006, 06:52
About the Asym question....I've slept 14 night in the Mosquito this year...all very comfortable and all on the asym...To be exact I'm 5-11 and 180...the hammock is wide enough to place feet 6-8 to the right of centerline and head the same distance to the left...this drops feet and head approx 6 inches and places the body in just about the same "flatness" as the HH BULA does for me...

In my experiance any hammock over 48 inches is wide enough to get the benefits of laying on the asym (Note the M1965 Jungle hammock and its cililian model equivilents are too narrow at approx 34 inches to achieve the Asym posture benefits). Believe Just Jeff has a 54 inch wide home made hammock that sleeps well on the asym as another example...And of course, Speer and Speer style hammocks are all best when laying asym.

Pan

whizbang
09-12-2006, 13:54
What about swinging in these hammocks? Can you rig an easy tie-out on the sides?

Sorry for the confusing post above. I was trying to ask if this hammock swings a lot as it is not tied off at the sides like an HH. I'll find out soon because I ordered one yesterday! I can't wait to start practicing.

msupple
09-12-2006, 18:41
Just curious...which one did you order? I'm about to order a Jungle for me and an Expedition for my lovely bride. I'm feelin' kind of "Me Tarzan you Jane" ish! :)

whizbang
09-12-2006, 20:44
I went with the Expedition, and I'll use my own 8x10 silnylon tarp. The Jungle is kind of heavy for me, but looks like it offers great protection. I should be good with my tarp after reading Just Jeff's and Sgt. Rock's pages, I think. Are you getting the stock tarp for your wife? The Jungle come with tarp, if I remember correctly. Hope the Tarzan thing works out for you, it never seems to work for me!

msupple
09-12-2006, 22:04
Actually I'm going to shop around for a different tarp...haven't really decided yet. Let us know how you like it....I'll do the same. Sure wish winter wasn't on the way!

FanaticFringer
09-21-2006, 23:26
I used a square tarp but switched to a diamond orientation before I ever got my Hennessy. It just made sense once you do it. I own a MacCat and like it when I hike with my boys, but otherwise I stick with the stock diamond shaped tarp. That said, preference is preference, if you like a rectangle tarp they are out there.

The bottom entry is actually very cool ;)

The reason people use the hammock is it sort of figured out a lot of the things other hammocks are playing catch up on. It has everything you need to go in one very light package. It isn't the best hammock, and I would say it isn't all that heavily marketed unless you count that Tom himself actually shows up at hiker events with them and shows them off. IMO Ed Speer spends a lot more time out there with his hammocks but they haven't caught on as well - even though they are great hammocks too.

Rock,

In your opinion, what is the best hammock? Just curious......