PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail

Cuffs
09-08-2006, 14:16
I would like to make the Approach Trail to Springer part of my thru, but instead have decided to just knock it out now and get it over with.

Anyone interested in doing the same? Maybe some weekend in Sept or Oct?

Phreak
09-08-2006, 15:09
I'll be gone from 9/16 - 9/26, but I'd be up for a hike any weekend after these dates.

Ewker
09-08-2006, 15:17
I would like to join you. As of right now I have plans for Sept 16,17 and Oct 27-29 in the Smokies.

Cuffs
09-08-2006, 18:46
How's October 6,7,8 looking for everyone?

(and due to the holiday on the 9th, Columbus Day, maybe spend one of those days doing some side trails...?)

swift
09-08-2006, 19:15
A friend and I will be doing the approach trail to Neel's Gap Oct 1-5..reliving good times...lol. Start time as early as possible, by 7 am I hope

Cuffs
09-09-2006, 17:51
Ewker PM'd me with a good idea...

Meet either late Friday or first thing Saturday, hike to Springer, overnite there, then hike out the "Hike Inn" trail on Sunday or for those who can stay til Monday, hike out then...

Smile
09-09-2006, 17:52
I hope you guys have a great hike, good idea to get it out of the way now if you really want to do it ;)

Frosty
09-09-2006, 22:05
Ewker PM'd me with a good idea...

Meet either late Friday or first thing Saturday, hike to Springer, overnite there, then hike out the "Hike Inn" trail on Sunday or for those who can stay til Monday, hike out then...I always miss everything by one week. First the FL Gathering, now this. Don't suppose there is any chance of doing it a week earlier?

Mountain Man
09-11-2006, 12:58
I wish I could join yall, but already have plans for that Saturday. If yall decide to do it another weekend I could be there.

Ewker
09-11-2006, 16:19
ALHikerGal, you decide on how you want to do this. It is your trip :sun

Cuffs
09-11-2006, 17:24
As of right now, Im planning on hiking the Approach on weekend of Oct 6,7,8 (& maybe 9). (no, its not going to take me that long, just adding some side hikes in there)

Looks like its just me and Ewker for now. Meeting at the "arch" on Saturday morning (early, time TBA).

If anyone else can join us, please do!! Just let us know, so we dont leave without you!!!

StarLyte
09-11-2006, 17:40
As of right now, Im planning on hiking the Approach on weekend of Oct 6,7,8 (& maybe 9). (no, its not going to take me that long, just adding some side hikes in there)

Looks like its just me and Ewker for now. Meeting at the "arch" on Saturday morning (early, time TBA).

If anyone else can join us, please do!! Just let us know, so we dont leave without you!!!

This is real nice ALHikerGal---take some photos and post them here for us!

Frosty
09-11-2006, 17:57

If anyone else can join us, please do!! Just let us know, so we dont leave without you!!!Please keep us informed of hike plans, especially start time.

I'll be in Florida (New Smyrna Beach) in October, and if possible will make the trip up to Springer for that weekend, maybe driving up Friday afternoon/evening and staying in shelter behind Visitor Center (or stealth camp) Friday night.

It all depends on what my commitments are, and I probably won't know that until Oct 3 or 4.

Mountain Man
09-11-2006, 18:01

I've got a GATC meeting I've got to attend on Saturday, but I'll try to hook up with yall at Springer, on the trail some where, or maybe at the Hike Inn. I'll definately be at the Hike Inn on Monday so if yall are still out there and I don't run into yall before hand drop in and holler at me.

Skidsteer
09-11-2006, 18:35

So the plan is Springer on Saturday night(10/7)?

Tentatively, I'll hike out from the arch with you folks Saturday morning or Come SOBO from Woody Gap to camp on Springer Saturday night.

I'll confirm later but it sounds like fun either way. :)

Ewker
09-11-2006, 19:46
I will be leaving Nashville Friday after work and driving down. Fairly sure I will be staying at the Max Epperson shelter or in my car

Cuffs
09-13-2006, 11:47
Ewker, I too think I will leave out Friday late afternoon and arriving early evening. I think the shelter behind the welcome center should be available...

Ewker
09-13-2006, 12:07
save me a bunk please :)

although I may tent since I snore, of course I need to get you ready for the shelter life...lol
I have a friend Eman who post on here sometimes is suppose to be going also. He bailed the last time we had this planned

Cuffs
09-14-2006, 15:39
**UPDATE** I just called AFSP to get some info as follows:

Gates dont close, so you can self-register upon entry (if you arrive after the welcome center has closed)

October, the shelter(s) do get used quite a bit (fall color viewing).

Soooo, anyone from this group going and gets there first, claim a couple places in the shelter (if thats really where you want to stay.) I'll be bringing tent, so not mandatory for me. Actually, I think Id prefer to tent-it.

jlb2012
09-14-2006, 16:09
are you permitted to tent near the shelter in AFSP or do you need to go up the trail a bit?

Cuffs
09-14-2006, 16:15
are you permitted to tent near the shelter in AFSP or do you need to go up the trail a bit?

Oops! Forgot to ask that question! Anyone know before I call them back?

Ewker
09-14-2006, 16:19
I think you can if it is full

Frosty
09-19-2006, 15:19
Is this hike still on? Room for one more? Looks like I'll be back in FLA by the first of October. It'd be fun to drive up and do the Approach Trail again.

Cuffs
09-19-2006, 15:27
Is this hike still on? Room for one more? Looks like I'll be back in FLA by the first of October. It'd be fun to drive up and do the Approach Trail again.

Im still going!:banana (and I'll be going, regardless if anyone else shows or not!)

Frosty
09-19-2006, 15:49
Im still going!:banana (and I'll be going, regardless if anyone else shows or not!)
Well, count me in then. I'll be driving up from New Smyrna Beach on Friday. Probably won't get there before dark. Re-reading this thread, I see you and Ewker will be at the shelter behind the Visitor Center late Friday evening, and will likely be tenting. I'll have a tent, also. It's a long weekend and shelters will probably be full unless it is raining. Speaking of which, I assume this is a rain or shine event? Test out the ol' rain gear and cooking in the rain if nature doesn't cooperate?

Ewker
09-19-2006, 15:51
I will be there. A friend is suppose to come along also. He bailed on me the last time.

Mountain Man
09-19-2006, 16:26
I'll be there rain or shine. I'll probably be around Amicalola a while Friday evening but won't get to hike up the Approach trail with yall Saturday morning. I'll hike up to Springer Saturday evening. Should be there before dark.

briarpatch
09-19-2006, 16:41
I'll be in Dahlonega for the GATC annual business meeting on Saturday Oct 7th. Unless something else pops up, I'll head over to Springer afterwards and stay for Saturday night.

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 17:51
I'll be there if family obligations don't interfere. Rain or shine makes no difference.

Cuffs
09-27-2006, 15:32
Just bringing this thread back up. Anyone else joining?

Arriving Friday evening at Amicalola SP at the shelter behind the welcome center.

Threw my back out earlier this week, but doing my dammedest to get it back in line ASAP. I'll still go, but I may have to hike sans pack.

jlb2012
09-27-2006, 15:49
I might see y'all up on Springer Saturday night or if I am _real_ ambitious I may stop down at AFSP on Friday night and hike with y'all - I've hiked with Ewker before but its been a few years now. Mainly I am planning a few days for blowdown removal on Ike Branch in Slickrock WA and then deciding whether I want to go to the Gathering - somewhat doubtful at this point.

Egads
09-30-2006, 20:18
I'd like to join in if you don't mind me hanging around. Anyone interested in shuttling cars Friday night & Sunday? I hate backtracking and need to be at work Monday.

ALHG, how is your back?

Egads

Cuffs
09-30-2006, 20:38
E, hanging in there, hope to be 100% by Thurs. (keep your fingers crossed!) As for shuttling cars... what? where? Not sure what you meant by that.

Ewker
09-30-2006, 20:46
I've hiked with Ewker before but its been a few years now. .

yeah it has been a while. Was it Sipsey or Mt Rogers?

Hope you can make it

jlb2012
10-01-2006, 07:51
Mt. Roger's for sure - I think it was the year Crazy Mike came with Evergreen for the Baume trip in the fall - maybe 4 years ago now.

Sipsey - less sure here, I've been on a lot of the TT trips to Sipsey but not all and I can't remember if you were there too or not - I think I remember you and Karo going to the Sipsey once but I didn't go on that trip. Are you going on the upcoming Eagle Creek trip to the Sipsey?

Jaybird
10-01-2006, 07:59
Oops! Forgot to ask that question! Anyone know before I call them back?

there is a camp site near by the Welcome Center/Ck In Station.

good luck with your hike:D

i'll see u out there last week of April 2007!

Ewker
10-01-2006, 09:55
Mt. Roger's for sure - I think it was the year Crazy Mike came with Evergreen for the Baume trip in the fall - maybe 4 years ago now.

Sipsey - less sure here, I've been on a lot of the TT trips to Sipsey but not all and I can't remember if you were there too or not - I think I remember you and Karo going to the Sipsey once but I didn't go on that trip. Are you going on the upcoming Eagle Creek trip to the Sipsey?

On the Mt Rogers trip you had the accident with your hammock, on the Sipsey trip you came into the Pizza Hut all cleaned up and no one hardly recognized you.
I will check that trip out. I don't do TT much anymore except for the trips page

hikernutt
10-01-2006, 10:07
Hi ALhikergal
This is Donna from GA, would love to join you on the approach trail what are the details? I live about 1 1/2 from Amicaloa State Park

Egads
10-01-2006, 10:16
Hello to all,

Is anyone planning to leave from Amicalola Falls Sunday afternoon that can give me a ride back to either Neels Gap or Hog Pen Gap?

I am hoping to hike SOBO beginning Thursday AM and meet up with you at Springer Saturday night.

Egads

Cuffs
10-01-2006, 10:35
Hi ALhikergal
This is Donna from GA, would love to join you on the approach trail what are the details? I live about 1 1/2 from Amicaloa State Park

Hey Donna!

I will (as most will) be arriving at AFSP on Friday evening (Oct. 6th). I hope to make it before the sun goes down... We will be meeting at the shelter that is just behind the welcome center. Hike up to Springer when we all get motivated on Saturday morning. Depending on consensus, we may camp up there, or just make it a day hike and come back to the shelter again... I plan on taking in a few of the side trails too, just to get some hike time in.

Please join if you can!!

Send PM if you like Donna!
and hope to see you there!:banana

Cuffs
10-01-2006, 10:37
Are you going on the upcoming Eagle Creek trip to the Sipsey?

Sipsey? Theres a trip in Sipsey planned? Please! What are the details? Id like to join if I can! (This is the Sipsey Wilderness in Bankhead NF right?)

jlb2012
10-01-2006, 18:36
Sipsey? Theres a trip in Sipsey planned? Please! What are the details? Id like to join if I can! (This is the Sipsey Wilderness in Bankhead NF right?)

well if you wish go to http://thebackpacker.com/trips/ for the details and to sign up for the trip - its a bushwhacking trip in the Eagle Creek and Little Ugly Creek area of Sipsey - and yes its the Sipsey WA in the WIlliam F Bankhead NF - as bushwhack trips go it will probably be easier than most since the basecamp is not too far into the Sipsey

Note thebackpacker.com/trailtalk forum (aka TT) can be a rough place to enjoy and in fact some recent unpleasantness has driven many away from the forum apparently including Ewker and a few other people who now contribute to WB - what I am saying is that if you don't have a strong sense of humor or you take yourself too seriously TT may not be a nice place for you - some people on other forums refer to the place as the Darkside - personally I consider the forums over on backpacker.com to be the darkside but ... in any case Ewker and I have hiked with many of the TTers and they are good people but on the forum especially in the fuego section they can come across as real AHs if you don't look for the humor in the postings. Trolls are common and until you are known to be real don't be upset when people refer to you as a troll. Equally learn to ignore the trolls or people that just rub you the wrong way - remember at all times wrestling with a pig only gets you dirty and the pig likes it - I just wish more people here would understand that basic fact. Personally I think that TT is in a rebuilding phase at this time and it may get back to being an interesting place to hang out but for now well ... I don't know what to say - if you ever hung around talk.bizarre you might get a good feel for it currently especially as TT enters the month of Oct. and many people change to their Holloween names.

Ewker
10-01-2006, 18:46
HOI, you nailed it. IMO there is nothing on no one on WB (some are close)that even compares to what goes on over at TT.

Skidsteer
10-01-2006, 20:16
Hello to all,

Is anyone planning to leave from Amicalola Falls Sunday afternoon that can give me a ride back to either Neels Gap or Hog Pen Gap?

I am hoping to hike SOBO beginning Thursday AM and meet up with you at Springer Saturday night.

Egads

Egads, what's you're itinerary(hiking) for the weekend?

Are you parking a car at Amicalola and hoping to hike back to it from Neel's or Hogpen?

Ewker
10-04-2006, 10:01
anyone have a site where you can get a fairly accurate temp for Springer Mtn

Dances with Mice
10-04-2006, 10:43
anyone have a site where you can get a fairly accurate temp for Springer MtnThis (http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGABLAIR1) should be pretty close.

Skidsteer
10-04-2006, 17:54
anyone have a site where you can get a fairly accurate temp for Springer Mtn

Ewker,

At this point I'm going to guess that the low for Sat. night will be 35-40 degrees.

Skids the weather forecaster. :D

Ewker
10-04-2006, 21:36
Thanks Skids...lol

All I could find was the temps for the park. Just didn't know how much to subtract to get an approx temp at the top

Skidsteer
10-04-2006, 21:51
Thanks Skids...lol

All I could find was the temps for the park. Just didn't know how much to subtract to get an approx temp at the top

See you Saturday Ewker.

I'll be the guy with a 45 degee bag and long hair. ;)

Egads
10-05-2006, 06:07
I'll see you gals & guys on top of Springer.

WooHoo:sun

Egads

Frosty
10-05-2006, 09:26
I'll see you gals & guys on top of Springer.

WooHoo:sun

EgadsNot going to make this hike after all. For a number of reasons, I didn't bring my backpacking gear down to FLA with me. I have plenty of work to do anyway (he says, trying to diminish his disappointment)

Cuffs
10-05-2006, 22:04
Not really, but just wanted to get this thread up for any last minute opportunities for hikers! Even if you havent posted, please, feel free to join us if you can make it!

I hope to be arriving around 4-5pm Friday. OMG! Just realized... north bound out of ATL on Friday, of a holiday weekend (Columbus) and its the main route to Helen, GA... well, might not make 5pm after all.

See you all there! (I have white blazes for us when you get there!)

ALHG

StarLyte
10-05-2006, 22:11
You all have a lot of fun and watch for those those bears I heard reports on. Lots of them, droolin, carrying on. Two coyote reports too.....ridgerunner said they looked pretty hungry. We can also throw in a few cougar reports in there too, why not.

Make sure you get pictures of all of them.....especially of the Grizzly Bear that Bill Bryson put on the cover of his book.

Alligator
10-05-2006, 22:16
Thanks Skids...lol

All I could find was the temps for the park. Just didn't know how much to subtract to get an approx temp at the topI think you would use the environmental lapse rate, which is ~3.5F for every 1000ft.

Ewker
10-05-2006, 22:17
I will be leaving Nashville around 5:30PM (CDT). I figure I won't get there until 10-11PM (EDT).

Not sure if I will sleep in the car or just carry my sleeping bag to the shelter.

How far from where I have to park to the shelter 1-2 miles??

White Blazes, eh....cool

thanks ALHG

briarpatch
10-05-2006, 22:21
If you are going to the shelter behind the visitors center at Amicalola, its about 75-100 yards from the parking lot. the Shelter is on the left side of the trail, but not right next to it. There is a short (100 foot?) side trail leading to it.

It looks like I won't be camping this weekend. My son is coming home from college late on Saturday afternoon, and I have the GATC business meeting Saturday, as well. I may try to dayhike up to Springer after the GATC meeting, depending on the time.

jlb2012
10-06-2006, 02:59
OK this is my last check of this thread - I expect to arrive at Springer around 5pm or so this evening - I'll probably just setup near Springer shelter but if I am there early enough I may swing by AFSP to say hi

oh well off to finish packing

Cuffs
10-06-2006, 14:03
I should be in around 7pm!

Egads
10-08-2006, 17:58
Springer was covered with bear droppings, at least 6 inches deep!!!

Skidsteer
10-08-2006, 21:00
Great times!

Thanks to AlHikerGal for putting this together. A fun and friendly group showed up on Springer last night. We shared stories, ate, laughed, and generally had a blast.

Here's a link to a few photos (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=6779). :sun

Cuffs
10-08-2006, 22:25
Home safe!

Thanks to all who came out for this hike!

Full report later, I need my rest after battling Talladega (race) traffic on the way home!

Ewker
10-09-2006, 10:31
Had a great time. It was nice to meet some WB'ers. I will try to post some pics tonight. Thanks to AlHikerGal for putting this together

Egads
10-09-2006, 20:58
ALHikerGal,

Thanks for putting this together, every hike needs a leader...BTW, I lost my ribbon. Can I get another next trip?:cool:

Great to meet the Whiteblazers who made it to Springer.

I had a great time. When / where is the next trip?

Egads

Ewker
10-09-2006, 22:39
here is a link to my pics. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554702596jNRdCU

While I was uploading them I realized I had forgotten to take pics of everyone at the shelter and around the fire :eek:
I guess we will have to redo this hike so I can take pics :p

Mountain Man
10-10-2006, 20:20
I had a great time on Springer also. It was great meeting the WB'ers. And thanks Alhikergal for putting this together. Hopefully we can all get together again before long. Enjoyed the pictures too thanks.

Cuffs
10-11-2006, 17:14
And one more link for some photo fun!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=665&userid=6745

Skidsteer
10-11-2006, 18:30
Hey! You forgot to label the photo of Egads and me. ;)

Did the 'campfire' photos not turn out?

Cuffs
10-12-2006, 10:55
Hey! You forgot to label the photo of Egads and me. ;)

Did the 'campfire' photos not turn out?

Whoopps! Sorry about that! But, if youve been paying attention, Ive also been trying to shop for a new pack. I dont have time to master the details of just a picture or 2! ;)

And to add to my "problems" Im trying to make a freezer bag cozy!!!:eek:

tjvol1
10-16-2006, 11:27
New to the site, looking for hiking partners in the area.
Anyone looking to get out this weekend in the North GA, Tennessee, NC area, shoot me a PM or an email @[email protected]