PDA

View Full Version : Dude, where's my food bag?

Freeze
04-16-2003, 11:39
I know it’s recommended to hang your pot along with your food at night in case there is residual smell on it. Is that something practiced or one of those rookie things? Also, should one be concerned about your food and pot being stolen over night? (Might seem a stupid question, but not if you live in Miami).

chris
04-16-2003, 14:40
I hang my food, my cook pot, spoon, and
smelly things, like toothpaste, sunscreen, etc. I can't imagine a person stealing anothers food out of a hang, but I suppose it could happen. I believe last summer several food drops were taken from a motel in Virginia by some hikers impersonating the actual owners. It seems these people went into the motel, saw a package with a name on it and represented themselves as the owners. The package was, I supposed, turned over without checking IDs. I think I read about this in TwoScoops journal. You can find it on Trailjournals. There are reports of some hostel owners getting liquored up and going through maildrops, but none that I would say are credible.

Grimace
04-16-2003, 15:58
I'm guessing you're talking about food being stolen by animals not humans.

It is defnitely wise to hang your food mostly to keep it away from the vermin. Plenty of mice, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, porcupines who'd love to nibble through your pack to get a taste of what you're carrying. Hanging food will alleviate most of your problems. I suppose bears should be mentioned as well though they are not to worry about. I usually just hung my food on the ropesin the shelters unless there was evidence of bear.

chris
04-16-2003, 16:45
I think he was refering to human theft, given the qualification that he lives in Miami.

Freeze
04-16-2003, 16:55
Yes, I was talking about human theft. Having your food stolen could put you in real bind, specialy if you are a couple of days away from town. Also, some pots (titanium for example) are not cheap. I wounder if someone would be tempted to steal them while hanging. (perhaps not other tru-hikers, but locals out for a few days)

EarlyRiser
04-16-2003, 18:41
well i supose they would have to find your bag first. if you hang your bag away from any trails they shouldnt find it unless they just happen across it. ofcourse around shelters its a little more likely they will find it, but i really dont think many people are going to go looking for your food.

steve hiker
04-16-2003, 19:15
It depends whether its quality toke or some of that cheap Mexican ragweed. Me, I never take anything but good sinsemilla or quality homegrown, so yes I hang my pot to keep it out of reach of bongin bears.

operative
04-16-2003, 20:19
steve, i want to hike with you. :)-~

Freeze
04-16-2003, 21:47
Thanks for the feedback...and the jokes.

ga>me>ak
04-17-2003, 09:26
I, too, would also like tojoin that hike(Steve hiker/operative):D

attroll
04-17-2003, 09:46
OK. when you set a date for that hike let me know. We have the following people want to sign up:

Steve hiker, operative, ga>me>ak

ga>me>ak
04-17-2003, 10:27
Hmmm:-? , Troll, are you comin on this trip.... or gonna arrange for a private greeter for those that would go? Pretty new to this board and not quite sure how some things may be taken such as the afore mentioned subject??

attroll
04-17-2003, 10:42
Maybe I will do both. We'll have to see.

smokymtnsteve
04-17-2003, 11:49