PDA

View Full Version : walking sticks/hiking poles

landcruzr
09-08-2006, 22:28
Would you all be willing to share your two cents on walking sticks/poles. I've never used them, but my knees are telling me I should start REAL soon- are they beneficial to the knees? are they that much of a help. Also heard something about some spring loaded poles? Any info would be appreciated
Landcruzr

hikerjohnd
09-08-2006, 22:42
I bought my first pair when I lived in Florida - never used them - sold them on ebay and never lost any sleep. Then I started hiking in the mountians - ran out and bought a pair as soon as I got home. If used properly (and that is definitley important) they will really take a good deal of strain off your knees.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 22:58
Yup, like hikerjohn said. I dont use poles here in Fl, but in the mountains, they are as necessary to me as a sleeping bag. A small but vocal community does not use poles, but the vast majority do. Most I've ever seen do have a shock system of some kind to ease the bounce on your hands. Why not let your arms help out your legs? For me, though, it's not the up hill part I need poles for, its the downhill part. That's what kills my reconstructed knees.
I use a set of $24 poles from wallyworld. They have never given me any problems.

hikerjohnd
09-08-2006, 23:08
Most I've ever seen do have a shock system of some kind to ease the bounce on your hands. ... I use a set of $24 poles from wallyworld. They have never given me any problems.

I opted for the non-spring loaded and I'm not sure there really is a difference (at least that I could tell).

And I bought mine online for $60 maybe $70 with shipping - but I do not think poles are an item that you need to spend a great deal on - if I have to replace I will go the wally world route too.

speedy
09-09-2006, 00:17
I dunno about two cents, but here's my $96 on the issue. I will not go on a trip in the mountains without them. Period. They will save your energy on the uphills and save your knees on the way back down.

I've got a friend who I usually hike with. Back before either of us used poles, he was in much better shape than me and would always have to wait up on me (I was quite overweight at the time). In one trip's time, the person standing there waiting changed. I hadn't gotten any healthier and he hadn't gotten any slower. The only difference was the poles.

First, go here. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stix_pro_carbon_fiber_trekking_poles.html)

Now, go here. (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek-Trekking-Poles.html?id=nPLSSR6F:68.184.135.242) See, $96 doesn't seem so bad anymore. I have somewhere between $300-$400 in everything that I carry/wear on a trip, so these roughly take up 1/3 of my budget. If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy them again without even flinching. I've used cheaper ones and even sticks, but there is nothing I have found that compares to these.

If you aren't sure, I'd recomend getting a wal-mart pair and trying them out. Worst case, you're out like $20. When... err I mean If you like them and decide to move up to the lightreks, you can sell the wally world ones on here or give them to a friend. You're still only out $20.

Just my $96 :D speedy

Oh, and about that small but vocal community Amigi was talking about. It's like the saying goes, "The squeakiest wheel is the one that should be thrown away and replaced."

hikerjohnd
09-09-2006, 00:27
"The squeakiest wheel is the one that should be thrown away and replaced."

Thanks for the laugh - I have to share this with our dept -- we have one squeaky wheel that needs this advice!

Tinker
09-09-2006, 00:52
I doubt I could do the daily miles I do when I hike on the AT without poles. I also use them to pitch my tarp or guy out the sides of my Hennessy Hammock tarp. They also come in handy for pushing your food bag up out of the reach of the average bear (a squirrel or raccoon is much more likely to get at your food, anyway, but this is a valid use of hiking poles). Balance when crossing slippery rocks across streams is aided by the sticks, as well as allowing your arms to act as shock absorbers going downhill, giving your knees and ankles a break.

No, sir, I won't take a single step onto a dirt path without my poles.

Big Dawg
09-09-2006, 06:57
Plenty of threads here about using hiking poles. Just do a search here at WB and you'll find all kinds of responses.

For me, poles are great. I wouldn't hike w/o them. They are definately a multi-use item for me. I use them while hiking to help w/ balance and control. I use them to assist setting up my Tarptent Double Rainbow (in free-standing mode), and they can be used as self-defense if approached by critters, varmits, mean dogs, etc.

StarLyte
09-09-2006, 07:44
I've never used hiking poles until 2002. Then a bought a pair off ebay for $25.00, still using them, especially going down mountains.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-09-2006, 08:46
The male dino uses a wooden staff with a tripod screw on top with a tiny plastic cap - it functions as a monopod and a tarp pole most of the time. Our camera has a remote so you can do things like mount the camera on the staff and stick it up over vegetation or around a corner to get magnificant valley shots that wouldn't be possible otherwise. His staff uses 1" crutch tips which are avaialble in drug store and at the X-marts near the pharmacy.

I have serious ortho problems and use two offset metal canes (http://www.seniorshoppingnetwork.com/images/fullsize/313002.jpg)as trekking poles. These are heavy and I would not recommend them to the average hiker. However, if you routinely have the need to be able to arrest falls by putting your complete weight on a single pole, canes are the answer because they will not bend like trekking poles can. I've found that the rubber grip handle works better than the molded plastic type because molded plastic is hard to hang onto with sweaty hands - avoid the Carex brand (sold at WalMart) because the rubber hand grips on that brand are flimsy and deteriorate rapidly. Also, the screw-type locking mechanism works better for hiking than the flip type (the flip type quits working after about a month of exposure to water and grit). Finally, after losing several tips in mud or between rocks (they slip off fairly easily after water crossings), the male dino drilled a tiny hole through the diameter of the bottom inch of my canes. He drilled matching holes through my tips and drove a tiny pin through - no more lost tips while hiking.

Mr. Clean
09-09-2006, 13:10
You will get a lot of info on a thread about hiking poles, no doubt, but here is my two cents.
While doing trail work one day, I came across a hiking pole, a Leki. I knew no one was anywhere around, so I took it home with me, and I've never gone back. I then bought a pair of Leki (with the springs) and put knee pain on the back burner. I can hike to places that I couldn't visit before. So, my advice to you is if you have any type of knee pain, get some, or rent some and see what you think. If you have no problems hiking, I'd spend my $ on something else.

speedy
09-09-2006, 13:22
That's a great idea about renting them. Anyone know of places that rent them? I called a couple of the REI's in MA and neither did. :D speedy

Tha Wookie
09-09-2006, 14:54
I suggest wooden poles.

Chinese privet makes an excellent hiking pole that will never squeak.

dloome
09-10-2006, 17:24
I use Leki Makalu Ultralites with the titanum upper segment and no springs. No baskets, no straps. Won't hike without them. I use them to set up my tarp, they save my knees big time, especially on downhills and big steps, and have prevented a nasty fall on more than one occasion. Great for added stability when fording. I hike much faster with poles, especially uphill since you can use your arms like a XC skier to propel yourself along. I think poles increase efficiency, allow you to use more of your body to move along the trail and can save weight when used as part of your shelter system. Lastly, I have also used my poles to fend of a crazy grouse that brust out of the bushes in Maine and attacked me. Poles make a lot of sense to me.

Springed ones IMO are totally useless, just something added on for consumer appeal. They're heavier and have more crap to break on them. I really can't figure out what possible benefit a 1/2" of spring travel has for a hiker, except to lighten up their wallets.

btw Tha Wookie, I just got Yogi's PCT book, good comments from you in it.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-10-2006, 18:24
I really can't figure out what possible benefit a 1/2" of spring travel has for a hiker...
You're 19. Wait a decade. Then come talk about the springs.

joec
09-10-2006, 19:08
For years I thought that it was wimpish to use special poles to hike with. I got some for my wife to help her out and ended up using one of them about 2 yrs ago. Bought my set this spring and have been on two 25-35 mile hikes since. It is just like my hammock. I will not go into the woods without them.

Namaste
09-10-2006, 19:55
I hiked Katahdin in July without poles and was very sorry. I ended up with a very achy set of knees for the next few days of my trip. Just before my trip to Bald Pates I picked up a set of Komperdells from LL Bean. They made a tremendous difference. They are very lightweight. I paid more than I wanted to (129.) but worth it.

juztyn
09-10-2006, 20:37
If you're not convinced on them, buy a pair of those swiss walmart ones for $20. I've had mine for over a year, I can't really justify spending $100 on poles. One of the poles slips a little but otherwise they work great.

fiddlehead
09-10-2006, 22:34
Sticks slow you down, get in the way, make too much noise and cost too much money. Whoever marketed them has you all hoodlywinked.
If you need examples, look at ultra running (runs of over 30 miles in duration) With 500 runners entered in the Leaville 100 race (a race that goes over the hardest climb on the CDT) 2 used the poles. One of them finished.
I agree that when people use poles they get to thinking that they are necessary. i have tried them and thought that until i forgot them one day and found out that they are a crutch that is not needed. your knees will get strong without them. with them, perhaps not. keep it simple. they are good for fords, setting up tents, and self arresting if you know how.
try it both ways after you get in shape and keep an open mind. usually simple is better

speedy
09-10-2006, 23:04
Now, someone else might argue with you, but not I. Someone else might mention that the runners weren't carrying 30 lbs on their back, but I would never do such a thing. Some people could even bring up the fact that the LT100 runners don't get up and do it again the next day, but not me. Believe it or not, I know one guy that would have the gall to say that your 1 out of 2 finishers stat proves poles don't hurt since less than half of the LT100 starters finish anyway, but some people are just that dumb I guess. An anatomist most likely would point out knees are cartlidge and cannot "grow strong." Unforuntely I am not one so I cannot make such a comment. Come to think of it, I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread as it seems I have nothing to add. :D speedy

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2006, 23:11
Giggles at what speedy didn't say.

Fiddlehead, I have some pretty serious ortho injuries - I walk with a cane all the time - two on the trail. Many here have less severe injuries and I could easily see that some would need poles to hike comfortably. Some injuries can't be overcome by simple muscle development - oh how I wish they could.

fiddlehead
09-10-2006, 23:18
Well, many ultra runners do carry weight. although perhaps not 30 lbs. they also train hard and then they are carrying more weight. I know some runners who run 160 miles a week and don't do it just 6 months a year.
I went out and did a run with a friend 2 days after he finished 3rd in a 100 miler. We took it easy and only climbed a 12,000 peak that day.
When i was in high school, i had a knee injury that they recommended i get surgery or would have big trouble later in life. I chose not to get the surger. My knees hurt until i hiked the AT (without poles) they got stronger and stronger during that 1st thru hike and i took up mogul skiing in the off-season from hiking. now, i can ski better, don't have knee problems and believe that it's the experience of hiking, running, skiing a lot that is the reason my knees have gotten stronger. Yes, my knees still hurt the first few days or perhaps even 2 weeks after i start a thru, but i know that it is temporary.
Poles are not necessary! they are not used by many people who put in a lot more miles than hikers with no problems.
My main point here is for hikers who don't have the experience to keep an open mind
always question those who say "this is the way it should be done"

landcruzr
09-11-2006, 11:23
Well- thanks to all for the responses- and the overwhelming majority seem to think that the sticks would be a help on the knee issue- to fiddlehead I can say- that I appreciate the insight and opinion. However the verbage and general attitude of your response almost come across as insulting to those who need sticks, or those inquiring about making their trek a little more enjoyable and pain free. To assume that I might be out of shape is a pretty unfair thing to do- please let me address some of the comments you make:you said "If you need examples, look at ultra running (runs of over 30 miles in duration) With 500 runners entered in the Leaville 100 race (a race that goes over the hardest climb on the CDT) 2 used the poles. One of them finished. "
I say: I'm not interested in racing- I'm going out to enjoy the time and space with those that accompany me and those that share the same interests that I do-and if no one is with me then I can enjoy the enviornment that I put myself in- going as fast as I can through the woods defeats the very purpose I went into the woods.
you said: "try it both ways after you get in shape........"
I say: While I know that there are those that are in better shape than I, I consider myself to be in very good overall condition. I lead a very active lifestyle, and also have a physically demanding career in law enforement- and I am one of "cops" that doesnt shy away from foot chases,physical assignments, and getting out of the cruiser for any reason-and sometimes even ride a bicycle around at work for fun- I probably put more miles on my feet than the average joe- maybe even the above average joe- and perhaps- just perhaps- my doctor was right when he said that all the physical activity I enjoy so much, could actually be overdoing it- and the human body is only capable of so much stress before it needs assistance-or maybe he was right when he said it was a genetic thing- seeing as my grandmother has had both knees replaced(at 90 years old), and my father has already replaced one knee at 65 years old
So- if all I wanted to do was go for a hike every couple of weeks, and then return to my office or home for recovery- maybe (and still only maybe) I could put up with the discomfort-
However, after a weekend of hiking, I have to go back to work and continue to hike through the concrete forests, and when I get out of work, I have to participate in soccer games, basebal games, boy scout camp outs,, walk the animals, and a slew of other activities that keep me on my feet until just before bed-
I'm not complaining, or looking for any type of sympathy-I love the life I live,and choose it over many other lifestyles- and I dont have any hard feelings toward fiddlehead, HOWEVER- one should be considerate, and not assuming- I asked about walking sticks because it was suggested that it would make something I already enjoy-more enjoyable
thanks to all for the two cents.....
Landcruzr

Brrrb Oregon
09-12-2006, 17:17
This is fairly typical of articles I turn up. Most people and studies seem to find that poles lower wear and tear and next-day soreness while giving an immediate impression of greater ease. One study I found indicated that there wasn't an efficiency gain in terms of a noticeable difference in calories burned, etc.

OTOH, the numbers aren't so different that every person is going to find the poles help in their particular case. Expect them to help, especially give them a try if you have any lower joint health issues or if you hike more than a day at a time in a row, but if they don't help, they don't. I would hope nobody would resist trying them because they're too stubborn to change, but as they say...you hike your own hike.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/27/SP216264.DTL

SteveJ
09-12-2006, 20:49
Would you all be willing to share your two cents on walking sticks/poles. I've never used them, but my knees are telling me I should start REAL soon- are they beneficial to the knees? are they that much of a help. Also heard something about some spring loaded poles? Any info would be appreciated
Landcruzr

I'll jump in late here, and offer my $0.02. If you're in great shape, and have good knees / joints, and carry a lightweight pack, and hike several miles every day, do you need hiking poles? Prolly not.

If you're a typical 40-something, with job, family, scout responsibilities; and are a little overweight, and have ankles and knees that you abused as a kid, and manage to get on the trail once a month at best, will poles make your experience more fun, less painful, and give you less chance of injury? Absolutely.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.... Based on my experiences only! :D I won't go on a hiking / backpacking trip without my Leki Makalu's. would love to get the TI version, but won't spend the money!

BradMT
09-15-2006, 11:24
I've used poles, staff's, etc. A few years ago I picked up a 36" rattan cane (like an old man carries - grin). Weigh's 8 oz's... you don't even know it's there...best hiking aid I've used in over thirty years of backpacking. It's like a lightweight, wlaking-length ice axe. I carry it "crook forward." Carried thusly, if you imagine a line running from your elbow to the palm of your hand, the line coninues right down the cane to the ground.

I suggest those of you with poles try it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000580.jpg