PDA

View Full Version : Why was the most fun WB thread closed?

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 00:27
I'm asking this in the Straight Forward forum b/c I'm not trying to make any jokes about it. It doesn't say who closed it or I'd PM the mod.

I'm curious why the swords on the AT thread was closed. No one was calling names and no one was being any more offensive on there than on many other threads currently active.

Was there a reason?

Nean
09-09-2006, 00:39
I'm asking this in the Straight Forward forum b/c I'm not trying to make any jokes about it. It doesn't say who closed it or I'd PM the mod.

I'm curious why the swords on the AT thread was closed. No one was calling names and no one was being any more offensive on there than on many other threads currently active.

Was there a reason?

I finally responded to that thread only to find it closed.
There was a guy with a sword on the AT last year.

I think it is obvious that I enjoy WB.
However, to close a thread w/o any accountability or reason given, well...
it's unfortunate.:(

Sly
09-09-2006, 00:45
Perhaps closed threads should be moved to "sensitive trail subjects" Atleast then you know what you're getting into.

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 00:45
The only reason I could think of is that it wasn't intended as a joke but a lot of people took it that way, so someone got upset.

Which suggests we need a poll function in the Straight Forward forum. Or maybe a Straight Forward section in the Poll forum.

But I'm interested in the reason. I was having a blast on there!

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 00:46
That may be a good idea, Sly. As long as it's not one of the threads that bleeds over into the other ones.

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 04:42
I don't know who closed it or why. Wasn't me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-09-2006, 08:14
If it was a serious thread, I can understand why it was closed. I didn't realize it was anything but a spoof - I wouldn't knowing participate in making light of anyone's serious question about gear. I apologize for my part in the thread if it was a serious question.

My suggestion for carrying a sword on the AT would be to use the sort SgtRock recommended early in the thread - the hollow walking stick with internal sword. Some walking sticks come with a knob on top the can be screwed off. This sort would allow you attach other items to the top of the cane to make it more functional for use on the AT. The male dino uses a wooden staff with a tripod screw on top with a tiny plastic cap - it functions as a monopod and a tarp pole

max patch
09-09-2006, 08:57
I thot this thread was hiliarious:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10929

the goat answers questions from potential AT thru-hikers/section-hikers

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 09:03
I thought that was funny two. Some people that were offended by a similar thread did their best to drag it down and turn it into a contest of wills. I won't name names.

dixicritter
09-09-2006, 09:36
Didn't know it was closed either, it wasn't me.

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 10:04
I can only guess it was a mistake or accident of some type. I just looked at the last couple of pages of posts and cannot see anything that was objectionable.

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 10:12
Thanks for reopening it, Rock.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 11:25
The only reason I could think of is that it wasn't intended as a joke...

:-? If not, that puts a new and interesting perspective on the thread.
New thread, Does anyone carry a bardiche on the trail? ( Google away ):D

Why yes. It doubles as a hiking staff, I can chop wood with it, hang my bear bag, push slower hikers down mountainsides, keep mean dogs at bay, and signal overhead airplanes with the big shiny blade.:rolleyes:

Mr. Clean
09-09-2006, 12:52
I thot this thread was hiliarious:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10929

the goat answers questions from potential AT thru-hikers/section-hikers

I couldn't stop laughing.

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:35
I don't know who closed it or why. Wasn't me.
It'd be pretty easy to guess. I ain't gonna do it though, 'cause you're a good ol' boy and might wanna whup my butt. :)

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:37
I thought that was funny two. Some people that were offended by a similar thread did their best to drag it down and turn it into a contest of wills. I won't name names.
They all turn into the Jack and Warren show eventually...

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:38
It'd be pretty easy to guess. I ain't gonna do it though, 'cause you're a good ol' boy and might wanna whup my butt. :)
Well, reading further says that my guess was wrong. Whup away.

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 14:58
New thread, Does anyone carry a bardiche on the trail? ( Google away )

Shoot - anyone who's played D&D knows what a bardiche is! (Am I showing my geekery?)

Has my straight forward thread gone off topic? Guess it already served its purpose...

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 14:59
And um...just to be clear...I don't play D&D anymore. :D

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 15:10
And um...just to be clear...I don't play D&D anymore. :D
I call bullshiit.:D

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 15:18
Hey - we stopped at 5am this morning...so we're not playing anymore...

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 15:32
I must admit, I played D&D for like 3 years as a kid. Now, with the advent of computer games, I play Diablo II online. I'm such a geek.

speedy
09-09-2006, 19:19
Since this seems to be personal disclosure time, I'll admit that I was a semi-pro competative gamer my first year and a half of college (mostly Unreal Tournament 2004). Toured different tournaments and everything. Geek or not, it's a really cool feeling at the end of the day to see a couple of hundred people knowing indirectly you just beat them all. But got tired of it, and haven't even had a game installed on my computer in over a year. :D speedy

Edit: Just noticed after I posted. It's the fun post number! Only 597 left til the spooky number.

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 20:01
I haven't been big on video games since I was a kid. I went to a D&D convention in college once. (Hey, I was a freshman at the Academy and it got me off base for the weekend...that's reason enough. Don't tell anyone else, though - this stay between us.) I got beat out pretty early - guess I wasn't geeky enough.

Good place to pick up chicks, though. Kinda like the Star Wars conventions Amigi has at his place.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 21:07
That's where you met your wife. She was all dressed up like Princess Lea, Jeff just couldnt resist her. Of course she had another suitor that nite. Some guy was dressed up as Luke, and claimed to have a huge lightsaber. He was rambling on about the size of his sword and his bedroom force. She seemed abit interested, but got kinda scared at the size of his sabre. But just then, as Luke was making his move, Han Solo ( Jeff ) swept in, swooped her back to the Millenium Falcon, and they've lived in wedded bliss ever since.:)
Makes me cry everytime I think of it. I hope they have another 50 years together in happiness.
But I was sure she was gonna stay with Luke. I'll get over it.;):D

attroll
09-09-2006, 22:08
I will step forward and take the blame on this. I was on the way out the door and in a hurry and meant to move it to another forum and must have clicked closed. It looks like someone moved it to a better forum. Sorry about that.

bfitz
09-09-2006, 22:18
:-? If not, that puts a new and interesting perspective on the thread.
New thread, Does anyone carry a bardiche on the trail? ( Google away ):D

Why yes. It doubles as a hiking staff, I can chop wood with it, hang my bear bag, push slower hikers down mountainsides, keep mean dogs at bay, and signal overhead airplanes with the big shiny blade.:rolleyes:
I often carry a glaive-guisarme.

speedy
09-09-2006, 22:55
I wouldn't worry, we won't hold a grudge too long. After all, it was only thought to be "the most fun WB thread" by some. I mean sure, your new trail name might be killjoy, but who pay attention to those things anyway. :D speedy

I did the same thing once and closed a popular thread. It happens.

Just Jeff
09-10-2006, 01:08
That's where you met your wife. She was all dressed up like Princess Lea, Jeff just couldnt resist her. Of course she had another suitor that nite. Some guy was dressed up as Luke, and claimed to have a huge lightsaber. He was rambling on about the size of his sword and his bedroom force. She seemed abit interested, but got kinda scared at the size of his sabre. But just then, as Luke was making his move, Han Solo ( Jeff ) swept in, swooped her back to the Millenium Falcon, and they've lived in wedded bliss ever since.:)
Makes me cry everytime I think of it. I hope they have another 50 years together in happiness.
But I was sure she was gonna stay with Luke. I'll get over it.;):D

Laugh it up, fuzz ball...

Amigi'sLastStand
09-10-2006, 08:05
Laugh it up, fuzz ball...
Yoda: Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?:eek: :mad:
Prostitute : Yeah.:rolleyes:
Yoda: Ok, how much?:o

JoeHiker
09-11-2006, 17:28
I often carry a glaive-guisarme.

I carry Blackrazor. My friends carry Wave and Whelm. Do I win the geek contest? Does anyone know what I am talking about.

Somewhere, in the depths of my basement, is a whole stack of books, papers, modules, etc. I haven't played it for over 20 years, but every time I do spring cleaning, I just can't bear to throw that stuff out.

bfitz
09-11-2006, 19:18
White Plume Mountain! I been up in there, and Black Razor is MINE, and I'm not talkin about no telephone!