PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Cereal Trail Bar Recipe:

sarbar
09-09-2006, 00:39
I tried these out today..and these are good (and flexible as you can swap out for the cereal you like.). You could also add 1 cup nuts, or fruit, etc.

1/3 cup honey
2 Tbl butter
4 cups mini or regular marshmallows
6 cups Post Honey Bunches Of Oats (I used the Strawberry one)
1 6 ounce bag of semi sweet baking chips, or 6 ounces of semi sweet baking chocolate, chopped up

In a large microwaveable glass bowl, put the honey and butter on for 1 minute at high. Stir well to blend. Add in the marshmallows, toss to coat. Put back in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high. Stir up very well, add in cereal and chocolate. A silicone spatula works well here, stir fast, getting as evenly mixed as you can.
Spread in a pepared 8x8" pan. (Lightly coat pan with butter, then line with buttered parchment paper or foil). Spread in pan, and press down to pack in tightly. Put in fridge for 2 or so hours to cool down, and set. Then cut up. Store wrapped in plastic wrap.

Mr. Clean
09-09-2006, 13:13
I just posted a recipe of Gumball's on another thread that is awesome:
3 cups oatmeal
3-4 cups anything
2 T melted butter
1 can condensed milk
press into mini muffin tins
bake 350 for 20 minutes

You gotta try them.

Topcat
09-09-2006, 16:08
Mr. Clean,

Under anything, would peanut butter be included???

gumball
09-10-2006, 04:27
3 to 4 cups of anything would include "dry" anything--like nut meats, dried fruits, other cereals...however, you could add peanut butter if you like. Just experiment with them a little. I would think that if you add peanut butter, put in a little less condensed milk so they don't become too soggy.

Good idea--kind of like fudgie nobakes :)

gum

Topcat
09-10-2006, 09:14
i am going to experiment this afternoon, thanks for the info.

sarbar
09-10-2006, 21:42
Yum! Sounds like a good recipe, Clean.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2006, 21:48
Sarbar, do the bars get sticky in heat? I've done marshmellow-based bars in the past and ended up with sticky goop - though I hve to admit the sticky goop tasted good to this hungry hiker :D

sarbar
09-10-2006, 21:59
Lol....yep, they do get sticky, but I wrapped them up in saran wrap by piece...and licked my dirty fingers this morning on the trail. Burp :D

headchange4u
09-11-2006, 08:46
Does this recipe work with other cereals? I have one of those industrial sized boxes of Grape Nuts that I got from Sam's Club. Could I use them?

sarbar
09-11-2006, 10:24
Heck yeah! I have been making various cereal bar recipes for years, and never use the same cereal twice. Might make them grapey nuts actually taste good :D hehheh!!

Pringles
09-13-2006, 17:43
Mr. Clean, your recipe lists "condensed milk," and before I make a mess (ok, when cooking I *always* make a mess), is that "sweetened condensed milk," or is there an unsweetened version of condensed milk, like evaporated milk? I confess, the canned milk isle is not my favorite isle at the supermarket, so I need a little guidance.

Beth

Mother Nature
09-13-2006, 18:07
I just posted a recipe of Gumball's on another thread that is awesome:
3 cups oatmeal
3-4 cups anything
2 T melted butter
1 can condensed milk
press into mini muffin tins
bake 350 for 20 minutes

You gotta try them.

Help! What am I doing wrong? Tried them today using:
3 cups oatmeal
3-4 cups anything [used 1 c cocoa krispies; 1 c chopped dried fruit; 1 c chopped nuts]
2 T melted butter
1 can condensed milk

I mixed thoroughly and pressed firmly into mini muffin tins; baked as directed. My first batch was allowed to cool for 10 minutes on a rack and when I took them I got loose granola.

The second batch I let cool completely and I got loose granola in the middle and concrete stuck around the edges of the pan.

Mother Nature

gumball
09-14-2006, 05:16
Help! What am I doing wrong? Tried them today using:
3 cups oatmeal
3-4 cups anything [used 1 c cocoa krispies; 1 c chopped dried fruit; 1 c chopped nuts]
2 T melted butter
1 can condensed milk

I mixed thoroughly and pressed firmly into mini muffin tins; baked as directed. My first batch was allowed to cool for 10 minutes on a rack and when I took them I got loose granola.

The second batch I let cool completely and I got loose granola in the middle and concrete stuck around the edges of the pan.

Mother Nature

Hi--

Yes, its sweetened condensed milk, definitely not evaporated milk :) The condensed milk is very sweet and very thick. Evap milk is just...milky.

And M. Nature, I have no idea what you might have done wrong...I've never had that problem. Maybe try a little less dry ingredients, or add a little more than a can of sweetened condensed milk so that they are gooey when you put them in the pan? Mine have never crumbled on me, sorry!

Gum