PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon Tarps = Dirt Magnet ?

2Ply
04-17-2003, 11:47
I have been using a silnylon tarp over my hammock this year to increase the awning area. Each time I put it up any small dirt/dust clings to the tarp and doesn't want to come off. Almost like static cling. Does this dirt magnet deminish over time or is it something I just need to learn to live with?:-?

chris
04-17-2003, 12:21
I've never experienced this problem with the silnylon tarp that I have. Perhaps yours is coated with something? Silnylon is very slick and very little will stick to it. Ducktape, regular seam sealer, etc, will peel off fast.

Jumpstart
04-21-2003, 07:39
We used a small silnylon tarp on the first part of our thru-hike as an alcove for our tent. It also got filthy, and was absolutely gross, until the first time it rained. After that, nothing ever stuck to it again, and now it looks practically brand new. Maybe there is some sort of film on the tarp that attracts dust when it's brand new...after it went through a "washing" in the rain, we never had the problem again.

2Ply
04-21-2003, 17:17
;) Thanks Jumpstart -
I hosed down the tarp and got rid of the cling factor. Looking forward to next weekend so I can see if that solves the problem.

2Ply