PDA

View Full Version : College backpacking courses

MattC
09-10-2006, 10:12
hey guys, i was looking over the course list for my school and noticed that they offer a backpacking course. Its only 1 credit, but im very interested in what they talk about. My job also pays for my full education so its not like it would be a waste of money. So has anyone here at WB ever taking one of these courses, if so what will they cover over the semester. im still pretty knew to backpacking (mostly a day hiker) so im sure i can gain something from this course. Plus they offer some overnight hikes for students.

thanks!

- matt c

p.s. todays the first day of football......GO GIANTS! ;)

hikerjohnd
09-10-2006, 10:22
At the community college I went to in Jacksonville, Fl, they offered a 2 credit backpacking course and since I had to have a PE, it seemed to fit the bill. The instructor was a pretty cool guy - don't remember his name - but he came to us when the school opened a campus north of town in the woods. The idea behind the new campus was a natural lab setting for the sciences. Anyway, the class met once a week for 15 weeks and we spent each class on a different topic (I think we started with LNT ethics and then turned our attention to gear choices - our first gear class was to bring our stuff if we had any). Near the end of the class (week 12 or so) we went on a two day trip to a state park and practiced our skills. The "final exam" consisted of a single essay about how to pack a pack, choose a campsite, and LNT ethics.

Best class I ever took. I had to put up with city folk who did not realize there would be a trip involved (one girl really did bring a hairdryer to class when we brought our own gear to be evaluated). The instructor was very into foraging handed two of us this little green leaf to eat. I remember he was surprised when we both just popped it in our mouths. He said he would not be so trusting - we said we had no reason not to trust - the thing turned out to be lemon flavored and I forget what he said it was good for - but I'd eat it again.

Take the class - you'll have fun!

Amigi'sLastStand
09-10-2006, 13:22
Warning, backpacking classes can get very expensive.:D

trlhiker
09-10-2006, 14:17
I took one at Tidewater Community College back in the late eighties. In order to get credit, you had to take a 3 day backpacking trip to the mountains. Worst trip of my life. We did the Three Ridges Loop. Tough hike for out of shape newbies. From Reeds Gap, camped on top of three ridges, down to the tye river, camped again overhight and then back to reeds gap via the mah-har trail. I had a cheap pack, 10 lb JC Penny tent, heavy sleeping bag, canned food. My pack must have weighed 60 lbs. After that trip, it would be about 5 years before trying backpacking out again.

the goat
09-10-2006, 14:18
i took one when i was in school. i needed to fill the credit and it fit my schedule perfectly. the course instructer was cool as you might imagine & she taught us everything from cooking to compass navigation. we also did some overnights.

also, we didn't have to purchase any gear whatsoever, it was all loaned from the college. this was especially nice b/c you could try out different gear and figure out what works best for you.

Toolshed
09-10-2006, 18:37
When I worked for an outfitter, we took college kids out - The outfitter taught the course. . Kids automatically failed if they brought pot or booze.

The college had a lot of older gear that the kids could use.
Essentially you attended a couple of classes to learn no trace, use of gear, backcountry sanitation, cooking, basic orienteering.
we then took the kids on an overnight. They all seemed to always bring the same stuff, regardless of what you told them, 6-packs of ramen, 2 foot pepperoni sticks, cans of soda (or a 2 litre bottle) marshmallows grahams and chocolate, lots of snickers, store bought bottles of water, hot dogs, buns boxes of mashed potatoes and a lot of other unnecessary crap.

They always stayed up until 2-3 AM aorund a fire and tried to sleep in til noon, though we repeatedy woke them from 6AM on :sun .

Alligator
09-11-2006, 09:31
I took one very similar to hikerjohnd at a community college many years ago. It's one way to get started. It's fun to go out with a group the first time. Since it's free, give it a go!

Tha Wookie
09-11-2006, 09:45
see the next post, I double posted. Shame on me.

Tha Wookie
09-11-2006, 09:45
I resurrected a backpacking course at UGA that kind of presents the case of "well it all depends".

The course had been cancelled because the last teacher, an ROTC leader entrenched in military-esque methods (which are now, incidentally, modernizing somewhat), failed to show up for the class trip north of town in the mountains because it had been raining. Of course, the class made it, and they sat there, dry (the rain never even went that far north), until they gave up. They never got to take their trip. The class was taken off the UGA bulletin.

I had to do a lot of proposing to get the course back to UGA (still going today) , and based on student feedback, it is received quite differently than its predecessor.

I have some feedback posted here (http://thawookie.com/abcsite/feedback.htm)

Here's my idea of a good syllabus (http://www.coe.uga.edu/syllabus/pedb/PEDB_1110_oliven_SP03.pdf#search=%22nate%20olive%2 0syllabus%22). I would only make minor changes if I taught it today.

Good luck, and your best way of knowing is seeking out the instructor first.

MattC
09-11-2006, 10:23
thanks wookie! good stuff!

SGT Rock
09-11-2006, 12:57
Hey, I would love to teach a backpacking class in college. I wonder if I can talk the local school into it after I retire.