PDA

View Full Version : PolyPro Thermals

FanaticFringer
09-10-2006, 12:11
PolyPro Thermal top and bottom. $28.95. Includes free Balaclava.
I keep trying to beat this deal but just cant.

www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=202680&Category_Code=57

verber
09-10-2006, 13:00
From a pure price / performance (if you need top, bottom, and balaclava) it is extremely unlikely that you will find something cheaper than that deal. If you just needed top and bottom, the it's not to hard to find something at around the same price @ sierra trading post, campmor, or one of the big etailers "outlets", and if you have a free shipping code, you might be able to beat the total cost.

I am sure that the thermal and wicking performance will be fine.. polypro is effective. The only thing that would concern me would be odor. My memory is that the older polypro used by the military didn't have an effective anti-stink treatment. If you are solo this isn't an issue, but if you are with a group and use these more than a couple of days make sure you stand downwind from your friends. These days the miltary has switched from polypro to power dry (faster wicking performance) with enbedded silver (MUCH better anti-stink).

--Mark

fiddlehead
09-10-2006, 23:03
I thought it looked like a great deal so i went thru the process to find out the following: they added $4 per piece to my order (i ordered 2XL, i don't know if this made a difference but they didn't explain the extra charge) the shipping cost was another $8.95. So, it was a total of $41.90
not exactly the $28.95 they originally said.
you can get these GI thermals from many websites for $15.oo each. Some may even offer free shipping. i know my website charges $7.00 for shipping and no extra charges. I'm not advertising at all, just pointing out that sometimes these websites appear to be a lot more attractive than they turn out to be.

SGT Rock
09-11-2006, 13:29
I swear by that stuff. It has served me well for years. It is light, warm, cheap, and dries fast. It can stink to high hell, but for the cost it is worth it.

And wash it in cold with vinegar and dry on no-heat. Helps cut down the smell.

Footslogger
09-11-2006, 13:32
Don't have one near us now but back in the Atlanta area the COSTCO stores (and I think the SAM"S Club Stores too) sold polypro tops/bottoms for $9.99 a piece. I still have one full set of them but I only use the bottoms because the neckline was too low on the tops.

'Slogger

FanaticFringer
09-11-2006, 17:06
Combo Special

S-XL-Top and Bottom-$28.95
2X-Top and Bottom-$32.95
3X- Top and Bottom-$39.95

vaporjourney
09-12-2006, 23:29
the more i see people talk about how terrible polypro smells, the more i'm thinking about getting capilene. But really...won't ALL clothing smell bad after sweating in it for 4/5 days??

Footslogger
09-13-2006, 09:21
the more i see people talk about how terrible polypro smells, the more i'm thinking about getting capilene. But really...won't ALL clothing smell bad after sweating in it for 4/5 days??
===================================

That's been my experience. I own a couple pieces of Capaline (Patagonia) and some generic polypro and some REI MTS. It all reeks after an extended hike.

I've tried a couple things to get the stink out and they seemed to work at the time ...but when I wore the garments on the trail again the odor returned almost immediately and was even more robust.

I think once the garment, regardless of brand, is given a dose of stank it is doomed. Kinda like the gift that keeps on giving !!

'Slogger

Midway Sam
09-13-2006, 09:26
...given a dose of stank...

I laughed out loud. :D

Cedar Tree
09-14-2006, 17:58
I and dry on no-heat.

Definitely dry no heat. I melted my favorite shirt in a laundry mat dryer. By the time I pulled it out, it was truly a little rectangular brick. I like polypro, but it does stink.
CT

Skidsteer
09-14-2006, 18:42
Saw some double layer(polyester inner and poly/merino outer) 'silver ion' at Wal-Mart yesterday for $13. It has microbial silver treatment to prevent stench.

Not exactly a new idea but it is a good price.

Footslogger
09-14-2006, 18:53
Saw some double layer(polyester inner and poly/merino outer) 'silver ion' at Wal-Mart yesterday for $13. It has microbial silver treatment to prevent stench.

Not exactly a new idea but it is a good price.
==============================

YUP ...good price but Mtn Hardare tried that microbial silver treatment in a line of T-shirts and it didn't hold back the odor any better than plain old polypro and their stuff was pricey !!

'Slogger

FanaticFringer
09-17-2006, 08:53
Terramar Polypropylene Top and Bottom for $9.97 each.
www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/2a09b572c5146379e93ea9108a72089f/Action/Vendor_Show/Id/228

Footslogger
09-17-2006, 09:26
Terramar Polypropylene Top and Bottom for $9.97 each.
www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/2a09b572c5146379e93ea9108a72089f/Action/Vendor_Show/Id/228 (http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/2a09b572c5146379e93ea9108a72089f/Action/Vendor_Show/Id/228)
==========================================

Sounds like the ones I bought at Sams Club. Not flashy but they get the job done.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
09-17-2006, 09:38
I am of the understanding that polyester does not hold the stink as much as polypropylene.

Malden Mills makes Polartec® Powerdry® with X-Static® (http://www.polartec.com/fabrics/odor.php). This is polyester with silver and is intended to be less stink-prone. InSport (http://www.insport.com/products.cfm?product_id=859&sub_id=88&main_id=16&is_discount=0)has a contract (http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/fashion-technology-trends/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=20902) to make short sleeve and long sleeve T-shirts out of this stuff for the Marines. It's a little pricey. You can buy the product directly , but your only choice of color from InSPort is coyote brown. If you search the web, you should also be able to find T-shirts of this stuff in black and camo, as I recall. :D

I don't know if it is the same thing, but try Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,12450_Medalist-Silk-Weight-X-Static-T-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-For-Men.html) ... $10.95 in a camo closeout!

boarstone
09-17-2006, 10:09
I swear by that stuff. It has served me well for years. It is light, warm, cheap, and dries fast. It can stink to high hell, but for the cost it is worth it.

And wash it in cold with vinegar and dry on no-heat. Helps cut down the smell.

check out your parts of the country for the herb-- wintergreen/creeping wintergreen. Grows very low to the ground as a vine. It grows up here in New England EVERYWHERE! While hiking: I always pick the leaves to crush and make tea with but found it also can be use it for a deoderizer on the pits of my shirts, I steep a cup of water w/ crushed leaves, cool, rinse pit area with the now scented water, repeat for both. Can be used for pits/privates as a rinse after washing. Test first for any skin reaction. Not always doable for all. Just a suggestion you may want to try for your next trip out in the woods....:)

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 10:16
I'll check that out. I think I know the plant you are talking about.