PDA

View Full Version : Eau de Thru-Hiker

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2006, 17:18
I just had an interesting encounter with a guy who runs a local restaurant.

We were talking about hiker season and the weather and all sorts of outdoorsy things (this guys hikes), when all of a sudden he said "They're all great folks, but I gotta tell you, what I won't miss is when they completely stink up my dining room and gross people out. What this is, is simple lack of respect for other people."

I thought about this and didn't have much to say, because I've been guilty of this, too, i.e. going into a public restaurant fresh off the Trail.

So my query to Whiteblazers is this: Is this rudeness and dis-respect, or is it natural and OK and to be expected if one is in a "Trail town."

My personal feeling is that if we're talking about a public barroom, one that is frequented by folks who just got done with a day's work, whatever, then this is a different thing from stinking out a nice dining room.

But I'd be very curious to hear what other folks have to say about this.

TOW
09-10-2006, 17:30
When I get into a town I may go right to a store and get something to snack on and get out. If I'm going to be staying, anyplace I go out for the evening I am going to be clean. I learned very early when I first began to hike not to go into a place where body odors are in question. I was told at a pub in Gatlinburg not to come back there unless I was clean and odor free. I rented a room, did laundry, showered and went back........

rickb
09-10-2006, 17:42
Used to be you could just ask to be seated in the smoking section.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2006, 17:46
In the spirit of the golden rule, I wouldn't want to smell anyone else's BO (especially not hiker stink) while trying to eat so I try to clean up enough not to reek before going into an eating establishment. We generally don't go to public barrooms as we don't smoke or drink, but I can see that different standards might apply.

Biloxi
09-10-2006, 17:52
well I definetly understand where he is coming from on this subject..thats why at times I am amazed to see in trail journals and HERE that people dont atleast attempt to bathe, washoff, brush teeth,comb hair.and other..I even seen some dont bring anything to wipe with..now that is GROSS:eek: .I understand we cant be squeeky clean and hike lots of miles in heat and dirt..but before entering a business where everyone aint a hiker..stop and smell your self or at least check your reflection in a window, mirror, mud puddle whatever..bar of soap, washcloth,comb,toothbrush, fresh shirt....PRICELESS.. (shirt....PRICELESS..@zz) :banana

rickb
09-10-2006, 17:54
Things are way worse with poly propylene stink. I wouldn't want to subject that on anyone, if it could be helped.

Blue Jay
09-10-2006, 18:04
I am not a golight hiker. I always carry "town clothes" and wash up using a collapsible bucket if I'm going to a place to eat without actually staying in town. I have to keep a certain level of cleanliness or I chafe. Even with that I often smell bad, if so, I offer to eat outside if the staff wants me to. I also always sit as far away from nonhikers as possible. It is important to be aware of your own level of stench. Some people smell so bad they can even offend hikers.

Blue Jay
09-10-2006, 18:06
Got no problem with it. They're getting my money.

Unfortunately the other patrons are not getting your money, only the stench.

Miss Janet
09-10-2006, 18:08
A clean shirt and a few minutes in the bathroom to take the edge off the stank is always appreciated when you go to any public place. Bad body odor and the waves of smell coming off your gear is the #1 complaint of business people in trail towns. They do want your business but they have to consider the other guests as well. You guys and gals all get used to your own personal BO when you are hiking... I can't smell most of you anymore... (I think you burned out the sensors in my nose years ago!) But my daughter has been known to hand a towel to someone and tell them that the soap is free!

And remember this... a bunch of guys just off the construction site don't even come close in the smell department to just one of these cute little lady hikers after a long wet week of summer time hiking.
Sonic is the only restaurant that doesn't seem to have a problem with the smell from a dozen ripe hikers... of course, they don't have any inside dining!

Tha Wookie
09-10-2006, 18:11
I think there should be a heightened sense of awarness of other people's perspectives in general, especially in this situation.

Hikers should make an effort not to overpeople people's olfactory palates as much as possible, and people who get bothered by the smell other people should keep in mind that this thru-hiker is smelling because they are participating in a wonderul tradition of American lifestyle that operates on the different side of the comfort spectrum from where they came.

The owner should respect the hikers also, and find ways to suit both customer's needs with minumun conflict. Anything else would be unfortunate.

The hiker should consider the owner and think about all the other months where hikers do not dominate the scene and all the customers they might drive off for a business that sustains itself on a different, and in some cases displaced, clientel.

But like Jack implied, it's not easy all the time to fight off the stomach after walking hundreds of miles and wait until you get situated in a hotel or find a river in which to wash before you chow. Indeed, sometimes a bath is not an option.

In those places a creative solution that might favor a resaurant owner in many ways is to offer showers, even if in an outdoor hose-fed stall in the back. Many hikers would love to wash given the chance. This shower would be "FREE" before dinner, or $5 after dinner. It could bring a steady stream of hikers, and show a local population that the owner doing something about their desires to smell perfumes instead of humans.

Biloxi
09-10-2006, 18:15
even when I am on the trail..if I am not just totaly spent, I will still warm some water and soap up my wash cloth and cleanup some, brush teeth and brush my hair before calling it a day..just makes me feel better..and I have 1 set of clean clothes to sleep in,set around camp in or use as town clothes in a seperate zip lock..just so I dont offend others or embaress myself..I dont think I could sleep for long in funky clothes

Pacific Tortuga
09-10-2006, 18:18
I can understand a restaurant owner wanting to make sure the ambiance was what they wanted and reserve the right to serve or not. They are a business and hikers are a hungry bunch but what is the bottom line and what does it cost to cover their monthly nut?, with or without hiker patrons. I asked a pub owner friend this question and she wanted to know how long the smell lasts? (something about a Sienfeld episode and a body oder car stench) She also said how many people are complaining (money lost from locals) and can she be creative on the thru's seating? I would think if the restaurant is on or near the trail, "eau de thru-hiker" could be the smell of money.... just not a big tip.

Oklahoma 98
09-10-2006, 18:20
If I am spending the night in town, I will usually do laundry and take a shower before going out. If I'm not spending the night, usually I will get something to go and eat outside unless the weather is nasty then I will dine in. I don't think it is rude or disrespectful. If you can clean up you should.If you can't then go ahead and get something to eat.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-10-2006, 18:21
It's simple courtesy to clean up a bit before going into a restuarant. Wet your bandana, wipe off, I use a bit of soap on my pits, put on my clean T shirt ( only extra piece I carry ), and leave your smelly pack outside. Many of you live on the AT, I live on the FT. Nothing better than going into Sonny's and have the hiker smell overpower the burning wood and bbq sauce. Still amazes me we can smell that bad!:eek:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-10-2006, 20:06
In those places a creative solution that might favor a resaurant owner in many ways is to offer showers, even if in an outdoor hose-fed stall in the back. Many hikers would love to wash given the chance. This shower would be "FREE" before dinner, or $5 after dinner. It could bring a steady stream of hikers, and show a local population that the owner doing something about their desires to smell perfumes instead of humans.A proactive suggestion - this could work to both the hikers' and owners' advantage.

hikerjohnd
09-10-2006, 21:55
I feel self-conscious about showing up anywhere smelling like I just came off the trail. I agree with Miss J - a quick wash and a clean shirt does not take that much time and if you are that hungry - try take-out.

saimyoji
09-10-2006, 22:01
Let's assume that, from the original question, the restaurants in question are in "trail towns" that need hiker revenue, respect hikers in general, and would go a little out of their way to accomodate hikers. Any restaurant that merely tolerates hikers should be exempt from what I'm about to say.

1. Provide hikers with lockers for packs. I posted this some months ago, but there are coin lockers that would be perfect for hikers to store packs in, are cheap for hikers, would generate income, and would reduce smell, dirt and space in the establishment.

2. Provide outside seating for the nasties. Pretty self explanatory. Awnings aren't that expensive. Hikers wouldn't even notice if you jerry-rigged a walmart tarp and some rope. :p

3. Be clear about your expectations: let hikers know up front if their stink ain't welcome. Advertise!! The two most popular hiking guides are great places to let hikers know they should clean up if they expect to eat.

4. Hire a good staff. If it is known that your place is quality hiker friendly, you will get every thru and many of their cousins. Just look at some of the places most hikers stop in at.

To the hikers: Don't be an a**hole. Your stank ain't nothing to be proud of. "Too hungry to take 2 minutes to clean up." Gimme a break. Get real, wash up. :mad:

Tin Man
09-10-2006, 22:16
Common courtesy says clean up. And the establishment should not have to spell it out or provide facilities above and beyond what they provide the rest of their patrons. I guess I should not be surprised that the question needs to be asked, but jeez please have an ounce of decency and self respect.

Krewzer
09-10-2006, 22:38
Is this rudeness and dis-respect, or is it natural and OK and to be expected if one is in a "Trail town."

I'm guilty as charged on stinking up a few places. Mostly I felt bad about it. But after several hundred miles, and stares, I got used to it. There were a lot of places where it just couldn't be helped and a clean Tee-shirt or cleaner Tee shirt didn't really help much.

I've long wondered why known Thru-hiker spots don't put an outdoor shower out back or someplace close by. It wouldn't take much to put in a couple of spigots with a little hot water, a garden hose and a blue tarp to make an instant easy cleanup spot. Great for hikers, good for the business.

Especially eating establishments where a thru-hiker, or worse, several thru-hikers will be around a bit. I wouldn't bother me to see a sign at a restaurant telling hikers to please enjoy a free hot shower if they needed one before entering. In fact I would appreciate the gesture and consider it a bit of trail magic. I'd keep a box of old shirts, shorts and flipflops handy to loan out too.

It's too hard a question for me to answer though. I don't know if it's rude, disrespectful or just OK? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But for sure it's natural....just sometimes too natural.

bfitz
09-10-2006, 23:55
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I tried to make small talk with some college girls once in Hanover and I just couldn't figure out what they didn't like about me. Finally someone pointed out to me that I was exuding an unholy miasma of stench. I remember smacking my forhead and thinking to myself "OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!"

Sly
09-11-2006, 00:06
When I first hit towns, I'll either to to the motel/hostel and shower or to the laundromat, where if they have a restroom will try to wash up. Although I don't expect restaurants to have showers, ideally laundromats could have coin-ops and I'm sure they'd get used.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2006, 08:00
....ideally laundromats could have coin-ops and I'm sure they'd get used.An excellent suggestion. Since laundromats are already plumbed for hot water and have large volume drains, put such an item in would be fairly easy and inexpensive.

peter_pan
09-11-2006, 08:29
"When in Rome act like a Roman"....Clean up to be with clean town diners... Same shirt different day is fine on the trail with similiarly attired hikers....this is not hard....showing respect of others in town (spendinding money or not) will keep the welcome mat out....maintaining friendly towns and hiker resources is as important as maintaining the trail and its environment

Me Thinks the reference, ' clean up your act" applies here.... After all it's easy and it is something positive that we all can give back....sort of an extension of LNT...

Pan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2006, 09:03
Maybe a bit of discussion of our pre-town hygiene and laundry habits is in order. If I know I am going into a town on Tuesday, I try to wash something to wear on Monday morning using baking soda (great for deodorizing and a natural substance that breaks down rapidly) so I will have something that doesn't reek to wear. The last stream before town, I take 15 minutes to wash up some (walking the water far enough away from the stream not to pollute it per LNT standards and using baking soda as soap). Alcohol gel makes a dandy deodorant and washing up the nether region takes away a lot of hiker funk. Then I put on the clean clothes. While not a perfect solution, it does help.

Michele
09-11-2006, 10:10
So isn't body odor caused by bacteria? If that's the case, would a bandana & water wipe down, or even that purell stuff at the end of every hiking day do wonders for killing that bacteria? Has there ever been anyone who successfully controlled the hiker stench? What did you do?

Amigi'sLastStand
09-11-2006, 10:44
So isn't body odor caused by bacteria? If that's the case, would a bandana & water wipe down, or even that purell stuff at the end of every hiking day do wonders for killing that bacteria? Has there ever been anyone who successfully controlled the hiker stench? What did you do?
Dish soap ( Coghlan's ) and a wet bandana.

Time To Fly 97
09-11-2006, 11:01
Half bar of SpeedStick Musk scent in a ziplock for me and sometimes a little Patchouli oil. I know this was extra weight, but I didn't stink...as bad. I always wore a bandana to cover my hawk so I didn't freak out the natives. If I hit a restaurant right away, I would go into the men's room and clean my face, hands and arms with soap.

If I went to a bar later (always), it was after a shower/shave and with freshly cleaned clothes. I would wear socks in sandles (no killer boot smell wafting around).

I made a point to get the hiking "business" done and then went out to celebrate. All in all, I think I did a good job of relegating hiker shock. If I went into a nicer place, I would purposely ask for a back table and compliment the menu - the staff was always willing to accomodate.

I always tried to put myself in the other person's shoes, was overly polite with townsfolk at all times and tipped well. I think I did a good job with cleanliness and represented us well.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Amigi'sLastStand
09-11-2006, 11:38
TTF, never a police problem with the patchoili oil?
The cops here attribute it to one thing and one thing only....

Time To Fly 97
09-11-2006, 11:41
TTF, never a police problem with the patchoili oil?
The cops here attribute it to one thing and one thing only....

Just a drop here and there that blended in with everything else. I think that's the trick - very small amounts.

No problems thankfully or I would have been in big trouble : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-11-2006, 14:36
I still wear patchoili oil and I haven't fired up a dube in well over 25 yrs. Never had a police problem with it, but then I don't look like I might be getting ready to fire anything up - I'm a great-grandma.

QHShowoman
09-11-2006, 15:58
I think hiker stench in a nice restaurant is less offensive than diners wearing too much cologne or perfume and/or smokers of all varieties; who wants to smell them while eating?

rockrat
09-11-2006, 16:02
My solution is to find a creek and wash my hair and pits with campsuds, and then carry a travel size deodorant stick to mask any remaining smell. Worked great for 10 days in Colorado. I never took a real shower once and slept outside every night, even the night before my flight home.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 16:53
My solution is to find a creek and wash my hair and pits with campsuds, and then carry a travel size deodorant stick to mask any remaining smell. Worked great for 10 days in Colorado. I never took a real shower once and slept outside every night, even the night before my flight home.

Ditto, without the deodorant. I try to have one set of clothes I haven't worn and wear that into town after a section hike (up to a week).

I sometimes amuse others by taking a semi-private bath "down under" inside my nylon shorts :eek: on a warm day before starting off in the morning. Washes both "self" and shorts.:D