PDA

View Full Version : Weather around Damascus in Dec?

JTDawg
09-10-2006, 19:52
Have some time off in late Dec. and am thinking about hiking the section from Hampton, Tn to Damascus during that time. Is that feasable, or is the elevation such that snow would be a problem?

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2006, 20:07
I'd send a private message to Lone Wolf. He's lived in Damascus for years and is the perfect person to tell you anything you need to know about it.

bigcranky
09-11-2006, 07:44
The elevation from Hampton to Damascus isn't all that high -- you're walking a ridgeline in the 3000-4000 foot range. It's a very nice walk in the winter. (That said, it's still winter. I've had low temps in the 10-F range in mid-November along that stretch, and January days when it was raining and 29-F. Nasty stuff.)

L. Wolf can give you much more specific info.

mweinstone
09-11-2006, 07:48
lone wolf has been drinking in that area for years. knows all the sources.

TOW
09-11-2006, 08:19
Lone Wolf is your best bet to give an accurate report. A more accurate person would be Jeff Patrick from Mt Rogers Outfitters.

moondoggy
09-11-2006, 12:26
You can also go to Accuweather.com. They have and average temp feature by the month or even the day..... I just entered my start and stop points and compared.

(I PM'd Lonewolf just to check the accuracy)

Local
09-12-2006, 20:44
http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/24236?from=month_bottomnav_driving

Shows monthly averages: December average high 47, average low 22.

Average December precipitation is 3.84.

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/weather.html has weather in the area from different sources.

We don't have the snows here that we used to have, it seems, but check the long-rage forecast before heading out. Stay off Wilburn Ridge and that area in December unless you are prepared for Canadian weather.

Greywolf
09-13-2006, 13:15
Got stuck there in December 1996 (Christmas) due to snow on a SOBO hike. So....I guess you can get any type of weather. Damascus Dave at the outfitters had just come down from Mt.Rogers two weeks before with -5 temperatures. He told me he and his son used a vapor barrier in their bag. Before I got to to Damascus the preceeding week, it was about 15 degrees, windy, some snow, lots of ice, on top of Mt. Rogers.