PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to go hiking with.

Tamarack
09-10-2006, 21:06
Hey all,

I am looking for someone to go hiking with. I am still working on my Duke of Edinburgh Award (www.dukeofed.org (http://www.dukeofed.org)) I got an extention from them as Ernesto kinda ruined the whole SNP 4 day hike. So here I try again to find someone to go with me. Dates; (yeah I know that these dates are the pits) Monday Sept 18- Thurs Sept 21. I've already written to the award people thanking them for the extention but the likelyhood of someone being available the same days I am with this such short notice is damn near impossible. I can do the 4 day hike sometime in the end of October, make a 4 day weekend (Th-Fri-Sat-Sun) and meet with someone for the fri-sat-sun portion of it. I just need to demand the time off from work. Hoping to do about 40 miles over the 4 days.

If your interested and available to hike in SNP for all or part of those dates let me know. Also open as an option Weekends of; Oct 20-22 and 27-29.

TTYL
Tamarack

Nean
09-10-2006, 23:16
Hey all,

I am looking for someone to go hiking with. I am still working on my Duke of Edinburgh Award (www.dukeofed.org (http://www.dukeofed.org)) I got an extention from them as Ernesto kinda ruined the whole SNP 4 day hike. So here I try again to find someone to go with me. Dates; (yeah I know that these dates are the pits) Monday Sept 18- Thurs Sept 21. I've already written to the award people thanking them for the extention but the likelyhood of someone being available the same days I am with this such short notice is damn near impossible. I can do the 4 day hike sometime in the end of October, make a 4 day weekend (Th-Fri-Sat-Sun) and meet with someone for the fri-sat-sun portion of it. I just need to demand the time off from work. Hoping to do about 40 miles over the 4 days.

If your interested and available to hike in SNP for all or part of those dates let me know. Also open as an option Weekends of; Oct 20-22 and 27-29.

TTYL
Tamarack

Canadian eh? Sounds like a cool award. I hope you find a hiking buddy- but even if you don't, I hope you go and enjoy your hike!

Tamarack
09-13-2006, 09:11
Well seeing as how the Sept dates are kinda odd, being midweek and all, Anyone up for Oct 20-22 OR 27-29 I'll hike which ever weekend I can get someone to go with me. Basicly looking for a trail partner to hike with and who could also sign my award book saying 'Yeah she survived. Was not eatten by bears, or bitten by snakes'

And for any perverted individuals, just a little FYI my mind is slightly warped. I know how to castrate pigs and humans. I work in an Operating Room for a living. (hence the warped mind);)

So if there's anyone out there who'd like to come along please speak up.

Long feet
09-13-2006, 10:11
Hello,
I could conceivably go for a weekend trip. Unfortunately, I can't take any time off of work just yet as I have started a new job. Either of those weekends would work for me. I live in Maryland, so driving down to Virginia afterwork on Friday is not out of the question. By October I might not be able to get on the trail until after dark though. The only other issue would be that I am recovering from a knee injury and need to limit my miles a little. Please PM me and we can talk about it. Overall I would love to take a walk in the woods right about now. Thanks.

NECKBONE
09-13-2006, 23:38
I will be in the Smokies doing a loop from Sept. 18 thru the 23rd. If interested holler back at me.
Neckbone

Sly
09-14-2006, 01:40
I could probably do one of the Oct dates in NC. Franklin to NOC or NOC to Fontana would be about right.

Please don't take a scalpel!!!! :eek:

Tamarack
09-14-2006, 01:44
Thanks for the offer, but the closest section of the AT to me is in Virginia, SNP is about 4 hrs away vs the NC sections that are 8-9 hrs away. I'm closer to the beach than to the mountains. I dont think I can get an extra few days off. Thank you again for the offer.

Sly
09-14-2006, 01:52
Yeah, I just saw that. Amazing how wide NC is. I'd suggest doing someplace in the middle on the Mountains to Sea Trail, but I'll be living in GA by next month.

Tamarack
09-14-2006, 17:49
Hey

So Long feet has said that he'll go hiking with me for Oct 20-22 anyone else out there wanna come too? the more the merrier. Give a shout.

Tamarack

Long feet
09-15-2006, 23:42
Hey,

We are both looking forward to our trip. I think the fall colors will be great. Anyone else want to come? I am driving from the D.C. area, so I could drive someone down to SNP. If it works out for you let us know...

trlhiker
09-16-2006, 21:59
I might be able to go, need info though. PM sent

Tamarack
09-17-2006, 03:20
Hello,
I will most likely be bringing my 4 year old golden retriever. Her name is Peanut and she is well behaved. She's back home north of the border right now, when I go home in 3 weeks (Oct 5-12) I will be picking her up and bringing her south with me. And if anyone wants to turn the weekend into a long weekend or extra long weekend. I will be in the park on Oct 18th-20th and then meet up with Long feet and keep hiking Oct 21 & 22.:banana I just hope that the hurricanes will stay away when hiking and have beautiful :sun I had planned to hike the same route the Labour day long weekend, but Ernesto kinda ruined that. Didn't get to go.:(

Long feet
10-08-2006, 11:36
Hey Tamarack,

I have not talked with you lately. Just wanted to make sure if it was still on the week after next. I'm still looking forward to it. Are you going to be at the gathering? Maybe we could meet up over some BBQ? I have decided to come down. I sent in my form and have tested out my new cold weather gear. I hear it will be cold.

My wife and I took at day hike to a waterfall in SNP last weekend. Her co-worker told her that it would be the peak time for fall colors. He was very mistaken, but it sure was beautiful. We took a 6.5 mile hike that turned into nearly 10. We tried to take a different trail back and make a loop. We never found the trail so we had to double back after a couple of miles. We ran out of water, but it was still fun. Our dog got tired and I ended up carrying him for a couple of miles.... There was an extra 10 pounds on my back. I most likely won't end up taking the dog on the trip. He is really only good for about a 6 mile day. It's not fair to him to go longer.

Anyway, It should be gorgeous in another two weeks. Please let me know if your plans change. Would anyone else like to come?

Tamarack
10-08-2006, 18:10
Hey,

Yup I'm still planning on hiking, just need to find some time to practice uhh. I've got a pack for my dog peanut. Just working her up to 10mi per day. we'll get there soon. Gathering- just sent you a PM. Just got my thinsulate mittens, now i have to dig out my touque. still looking for warm non-cotton underwear. I have some but they're cotton. all in all its looking good :D

TTYL

adh24
10-11-2006, 09:50
Hello,
I will most likely be bringing my 4 year old golden retriever. Her name is Peanut and she is well behaved. She's back home north of the border right now, when I go home in 3 weeks (Oct 5-12) I will be picking her up and bringing her south with me. And if anyone wants to turn the weekend into a long weekend or extra long weekend. I will be in the park on Oct 18th-20th and then meet up with Long feet and keep hiking Oct 21 & 22.:banana I just hope that the hurricanes will stay away when hiking and have beautiful :sun I had planned to hike the same route the Labour day long weekend, but Ernesto kinda ruined that. Didn't get to go.:(

My wife and I will be honeymooning in SNP starting the 16th to the 20th starting in skyland and working north Maybe we'll run into each other.

Long feet
10-11-2006, 13:19
Congratulations! marriage is great. I highly recommend it. I wish you two all the best, and a great long hike together.

My wife and I will be honeymooning in SNP starting the 16th to the 20th starting in skyland and working north Maybe we'll run into each other.