PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira and a Platypus

snarbles
09-10-2006, 23:26
I use and love platypus water bladders and was wondering what techniques you people us to filter out the "floaties" when making water with aqua mira.

I do not want to carry a pump so that is out.

I tried pouring the water from my pot through a bandana and it just took to long and most of the water did not go through anyways.

Another method I thought of would be to buy a small brass screen to place over the top of the platypus and dip it into the stream, thus filtering out alot of the floaties that way and not using a pot to dip water at all.

Any other suggestions?

snarbles
09-11-2006, 11:05
While going through my coffee cup cabinet I found a small loose tea mesh ball and divided it in half. I then formed the mesh around the top of my platypus water hole and it fits pretty well. I have to hold the mesh over the hole, but that really is not that inconvenient.

Any other ideas?

hopefulhiker
09-11-2006, 11:40
I used a plastic cup to dip and pour off the floaties.. After treating I figured whatever was still left in there was dead.. so I just drank up! I didn't want to wait for filtering through a bandana.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-11-2006, 11:44
Coffee filter over the end of the plat. If you are careful, one can last a week or more.

"Get over it", lol. Too funny. Figures, he's from boston. Bout the only place worse on Earth is Kabul.

Footslogger
09-11-2006, 11:45
During the day I capture water in a 20 oz Gatorade bottle and can generally get what I need to re-fill my 1.8 Liter Platy without many floaties.

At night in the campsite I use a 4 Liter Platy (with handles) and sometimes just scoop water with that unless the supply is shallow. Sometimes I do end up with some stuff in the water but it settles to the bottom. I pour off what I need for boiling (dinner) and then generally treat the rest with Chlorine Dioxide tablets. In the morning I all the floaties are at the bottom and I just re-fill my 1.8 Liter Platy and Gatorade bottle and then dump the rest ...and away go the floaties.

'Slogger

Alligator
09-11-2006, 17:24
I have a Nalgene and a Platy. I use a small strainer with my Nalgene soft bladder, it fits right inside the mouth. I like your idea of a small brass screen.