PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Weather: Experiences on the Trail

2009ThruHiker
09-11-2006, 10:44
1> I would like to hear other thru/section hikers experiences with their dogs in rainy weather, especially extended periods of time in wet conditions. I'm a bit concerned about cold rain especially, and how to get a dog warm and dry? Do they make a dog raincoat? Are you laughing at me yet? Just not sure how my dog will react to several cold rainy days on the trail in a row and if it's a safety concern, I don't want to find out while in training without being properly prepared.
2> Also, how often could hikers find a place to bathe that dog smell out of their dogs? I'd imagine it will be pretty rough after a week of hiking>>>

Smile
09-11-2006, 11:18
There are already threads that go through this sort of stuff in detail, you might want to check those out first, lots of stories and experiences.

In 1> you just about hit the nail on the head for every situation of why not to bring a dog on the trail, taking care of yourself in some of those situations is crucial, let alone the burden of caring for your wet animal (in YOUR tent of course and not in a shelter.)

2> You may need to bathe more often, it's a hassle, weather and cold is an issue, being around where other hikers drink from is an issue, no large cozy towel to dry to dog off with when it's miserable out there is an issue - let alone carrying that wet towel, and shampoo.

I've hiked with my dog and won't be doing it again. The dog may be having what the owner assumes is a good time, but IMHO a wet cold shivering dog is not having a good time....A tick covered dog is not having a good time, a dog with sore feet who can't speak for himself until you see a bloody paw is not having a good time... A dog you have to leave with strangers in sections that he is not allowed by law is not a dog having a good time.

After weighing the pros and cons, and the reasons why I might think my dog might want to be out there - (and why I might want to take the dog out there and add this extra time consuming, weight adding situation to my hike) - I decided to leave my dog at home this year, it was a wise decision. I might do an overnight in the summer with him, in my tent, but I won't be doing any more than that.

I love him too much, respect my fellow hikers too much to push my dog on them if I'm in trouble, and his best interest should come first when I make plans that are highly likely to put us both in an uncomfortable situation.

Consider a shorter shakedown hike or two, preferably in bad weather so you can get the feel for what you may be up against, so that you can make the best decision :)

2009ThruHiker
09-11-2006, 11:26
I appreciate your insight. My plans aren't to push my dog on other hikers or into shelters or drinking supplies. He will be properly trained or he won't be there. Perhaps you could point me to some other threads that give answers to the actual question of if you do hike with your dog, what is there to do about the rain and cold?

Smile
09-11-2006, 12:17
Perhaps you could point me to some other threads that give answers to the actual question of if you do hike with your dog, what is there to do about the rain and cold?

You can do a search or look through some of the other threads in the dog hiking section. There have been several interesting ones, sorry but I can't look them up right now - anybody else out there have any URLS for these? Maybe search for Dogs on trail on this site.

I appreciate your insight. My plans aren't to push my dog on other hikers or into shelters or drinking supplies. He will be properly trained or he won't be there.

I have a working border collie that is more well trained than most people I know, myself included! LOL :)

You may not want to push your dog on others, but you may find yourself in the pouring rain, both soaked to the bone, cold, and a half full shelter that seems in your best judgement at the time, the best solution for YOU and YOUR DOG. Where you wash your dog may very well be closer than you think to where people drink. You also will have no control how others perceive you ( & your dog), and how they judge your actions hiking with your dog. IMHO there are plenty of dog lovers on the trail who don't hike with their pals.

I am not attempting to argue with you - not my style, I'm just giving you the facts and experience I have about hiking with a well trained dog for several states - I care about him too much to do this again. Good luck on your decision :)

SGT Rock
09-11-2006, 13:12
Just my experience with a dog.

They hate the rain. Trying to keep a dog moving in the rain can sometimes be a great challenge. My dog would often rather put her head down and stand in the rain than keep moving down the trail. There is no good way to tell a dog that the campsite is only 2 miles away or whatever else would work on a child. I hated making her keep moving in rainstorms. And a cold, wet dog is a very miserable creature. They cannot just strip out of their fur and climb into a bag.

The other weather that is hard to deal with is bitter cold. Took my dog on a hike in 2000 where it was probably in the teens ever night for the first week, I tried to get her to stay on a pad, use a blanket, and even tried to get her to snuggle up closer and share some heat. She shivered all night long no matter what I tried. And in fact, she shivered most of the day though we kept moving.

Weather can be hard on dogs. Decide if it is really that important to your dog to be out there in the first place.

Tha Wookie
09-11-2006, 13:37
The best way to dry off a dog is to let it shake off in the shelter on everyone, right after they have unrolled their sleeping bags. Then it can rub up against them and step all over their gear they've been trying desperately trying to keep dry. Excessive nighttime barking and pissing on packs also appears to help, as it tends to clear out space and allow for more air circulation. If none of that works, let him slop around the precious mountain springs so at least it can be clean and wet, instead of wet and muddy.

I'm kidding, of course, becuase the best way to keep a dog dry, healthy, and happy is to leave it at home with someone willing to take the responsibility in owning a dog.

SGT Rock
09-11-2006, 13:40
Well yes, I tend to agree Wookie. That is why I don't hike with a dog anymore. Not fair to the dog to drag them through the mud and rain and then it isn't fair to others to subject them to a wet muddy dog either.

Just trying to use personal experience to highlight this.

Smile
09-11-2006, 14:41
LOL, Wookie!
Have to agree, you said it much better than I. :)

Gaiter
09-11-2006, 16:27
Honestly I don't have experience w/ long term cold and rain, but this might be able to help out a bit:
I carried a small pack towel, that I used more on my dog than me. You don't want to wash your dog too much, the oils on its fur will help shed water, ask your vet about your dog's type of coat and how it deals with water. And yes they make doggie rain coats, fleece coats and fleece lined rain coats, some also have reflective strips on them as well, ask your groomer or a local pet store about coats for bigger dogs (most just carry stuff for small dogs) if they don't have something in stock chances are they can order it for you. If you are worried about the dogs smell, don't because you will smell worst than your dog, like it or not, its true. I made sure everything in her pack was water proof, her food was in two ziplock bags and those were in a grocery bag. Also I duck taped the edges of the outside ziplock bag because those would be the first to break. Always always always give your dog flea/tick preventative, I use front line, it works for my dog, again talk w/ your vet to get what is best for your dog.
As far as dogs in the shelter, my dog knew not to go in the shelter unless she was invited in, often she would sleep under the shelter. my dog also knew that if she was allowed in the shelter that she had to get on her piece of tyvek that i carried just for her. During the night I would hear her growl then walk a little circle under the shelter, never had a problem w/ mice while she was hiking w/ me. I never meet any hikers that had a problem w/ her being in or near the shelter, if I did, i would have set up away from the shelter.

Rouen
09-12-2006, 09:12
I think as far as rain is concerned you have to know your dog, my male hates rain, but if he knows we're going to go somewhere he's all for it, he just hates standing in it, my female hates standing in rain but will walk if it's not a down pour.
and for drying off, again you need to know your dog, my male air dries in 30 minutes, my female about 45, they have the benefit of a single coarse coat, my male was raised in snow, by 9 weeks old he was walking 1/2 mile in 2ft of snow, it takes alot to deter him.

superman
12-25-2006, 12:18
How I dealt with Winter in the rain depended on the situation. I always carried garbage bags...the big kind. The stuff in my pack was protected with garbage bages so if it were a light warm rain I didn't do much different for Winter or me. If the rain was hard or cold I'd put the garbage bag under Winter's pack like a blanket. I found that if I pulled it forward I could even give Winter a visor that protected her eyes. Winter is a white german shepard so she has that good kind of fur for protection and warmth. I'd set up my tent in the rain, Winter would automatically position herself next to me. I would cover us both with my opened rectangular 20 degree down sleeping bag. It would take maybe a minute for the heat to come up to comfortable. No matter how cold, wet and muddy we were when we went into the tent in the morning Winter looked like she'd been fluff dried. Of course the best way to deal with cold rain is to avoid it but when you can't...bring a good dog.

PS No towels, no soap or shampoo...smells like nature to me. LOL

soulrebel
12-26-2006, 17:09
I had a vet tell me that most dogs are ok to about 20F, then you'll need to provide some sort of shelter. As far as rain goes, dogs are fine. They can shake off once you arrive at camp.
Of course, they get that sad puppy face when it's nasty out, but you'll probably be worse for wear than the dog.

To avoid haters, don't camp at shelters-they suck anyway. Most times you'll find a really nice campsite within .5-4 miles of the main shelters where you can cuddle with your cold, wet dog and lick the food off eachothers faces. j/k

If it's raining your dog will want to get near you in your shelter. If it's thundering/lightening-they will try to steal your pad and sleeping bag. Yes, you will wake up repeatedly and think, "There's a nasty wet dog sleeping on my "oh so dear" sleeping bag, but it's raining, I'm tired and what the hell am I gonna do. Nothing. Wake me if there's a bear, Good dog."

We washed our dog every 10-14 days, usually in a motel room. But for the most part, the dog will smell better than you since he doesn't sweat. Oh ya towns and hostels and general aren't very accomodating on the dogs especially as you move farther north. And by that time motels generally cost over a hundred bucks-and still don't accept dogs.

A dog will help you get a lift except when it's raining.

A dog can carry extra beer and steaks, but don't ever put anything vital in their packs. They can and will lose them or get them wet. :)

Some hikers use their dog as an overnight shirt refreshener. Place gnarly, steaming, reeking hiker shirt on dog at bedtime, by morning, you will have a warm musty shirt--at least 2 grades better than your former. have fun

Two Speed
12-26-2006, 18:45
I've had my mutt out for as much as three weeks and have to admit that as the hike gets longer taking care of the fur ball gets harder. I'm fortunate that my neighbor is a pretty skilled seamstress and was kind enough to sew an insulated poncho for Barney, so he's good down to about 20, whether or not it's raining. I have had to bail on a trip when it started snowing, though. Conditions were making it tough enough to take care of myself and I didn't think I could do an adequate job of taking care of both of us, so I called it and headed back to the truck. That truly sucked, but killing Barney wasn't worth it.

One of the tougher things is to take care of your mutt in a cold rain. All I can say is Barney appears to appreciate a hot meal at the end of the day at least as much as I do. A boullion cube dissolved in a cup of hot water, then on his food seemed to go a long way to making him happier. Yes, I cook for my dog.

On the plus side he's pretty high energy so getting him moving hasn't been an issue.

LBJ
12-26-2006, 20:57
My question is - How do you get the smell off of thru hikers?

superman
12-26-2006, 22:17
Oh yeah...Winter used my empty pack to lay on when it was cold. When it was hot she didn't want anything to lay on and she distanced herself. Winter always smelled better than I did. Near Harpers Ferry I accidently let my nose get too low in my sleeping bag and I thought I would die. The smell could peel the paint off a chevy.

Blue Jay
12-27-2006, 11:38
I had a vet tell me that most dogs are ok to about 20F, then you'll need to provide some sort of shelter. As far as rain goes, dogs are fine. They can shake off once you arrive at camp.
Of course, they get that sad puppy face when it's nasty out, but you'll probably be worse for wear than the dog.

To avoid haters, don't camp at shelters-they suck anyway.

Clearly you are the hater, the dog hater. Also you are full of s#$t. No vet would ever tell you a wet dog at 25F is OK.

Blue Jay
12-27-2006, 11:42
1> I would like to hear other thru/section hikers experiences with their dogs in rainy weather, especially extended periods of time in wet conditions. I'm a bit concerned about cold rain especially, and how to get a dog warm and dry?

It is rare to hear of someone actually being concerned about their dogs. It's good to know there are a few dog lovers out there.

Blue Jay
12-27-2006, 11:45
Winter always smelled better than I did. Near Harpers Ferry I accidently let my nose get too low in my sleeping bag and I thought I would die. The smell could peel the paint off a chevy.

That really is toooo bad for the people in Harpers Ferry, but who cares about them. Ever hear of washing, it's really not that hard to do.

soulrebel
12-27-2006, 12:54
If you can read, I didn't say "wet" dog. But then again you probably skip over stuff until you can find something to comment about, then let it fly. That's ok, cuz that's what I do as well.

I thought blue-jays sing-not cry

soulrebel
12-27-2006, 13:01
Blue jay = wannabe hiker trash

yappy
12-27-2006, 13:47
lulu hiked with us on the pct for 1000 miles. She was tremendous company. She seemed to enjoy herself but was tired and ended up walking alot right next to me. I carried her food. I thought that was only fair since i was asking her to do this. it was the heat that did her in. She slept in the tent NO MATTER WHAT. I bought a small fleece blanket for her. She loved it. She was the leader of the hike just didn't know it. We stopped when she was tired and we spent ALOT of time in motels so she could get adequate rest.
We live in Alaska and know that working sled dogs require about 15 hrs of sleep a day..and yes, they handle COLDDDDDDDD temps.. including rain. When folks asked about Lulu I said " I am hiking cuz i want to she is becuz i am ".. big difference. We thru hiked in 96 so could have cared aless if we finished in 2002. She was exhausted after1000 miles so we were done. No trail is worth more then her....doesn't even come close. And ya know... after it all .. it takes a special dog and a special person to do a long hike. Think long and hard about it. Your dog has to be the leader... no matter what. be prepared to go home if he doesn't like it ..and you gotta pay attention. i have seen some VERY cruel things out there and they caused fights among the hikers. You may not make many friends... Noone wants to see an animal struggle. Our hike was sobo PCT and basically there wasn't anyone out there.. the AT is a busy place with lots of folks that don't like dogs on the trail. I hope you make the RIGHT decision for your dog... and also think about carrying his food... he will do better in the long run...and hey the hike is YOUR idea after all. My 2 cents.

ed bell
12-27-2006, 14:49
Very good post yappy. Lots of good advice in there.:)

superman
12-27-2006, 18:19
"That really is toooo bad for the people in Harpers Ferry, but who cares about them. Ever hear of washing, it's really not that hard to do."

LOL:banana

yappy
12-27-2006, 21:36
Thanks Ed.....We all gotta look out for each other out there.. and that includes telling folks things they don't want to hear sometimes....myself included.

Blue Jay
12-28-2006, 10:42
If you can read, I didn't say "wet" dog.

I thought blue-jays sing-not cry

Read your own post, soulless, clearly you were talking about a wet dog. You need to go outside once in a while, blue jays do not sing or cry.:welcome

plydem
01-02-2007, 17:36
Read your own post, soulless, clearly you were talking about a wet dog. You need to go outside once in a while, blue jays do not sing or cry.:welcome

But they certainly do make alot of noise.

the goat
01-02-2007, 20:53
guys, let's keep this thread on the topic of dog experiences on the trail.

going after one another doesn't further any cause you may be trying to espouse (in fact, it most likely hurts it).

instead of attacking someone, how about offering an experience that endorses you point of view?

frieden
01-10-2007, 03:00
1> I would like to hear other thru/section hikers experiences with their dogs in rainy weather, especially extended periods of time in wet conditions. I'm a bit concerned about cold rain especially, and how to get a dog warm and dry? Do they make a dog raincoat? Are you laughing at me yet? Just not sure how my dog will react to several cold rainy days on the trail in a row and if it's a safety concern, I don't want to find out while in training without being properly prepared.
2> Also, how often could hikers find a place to bathe that dog smell out of their dogs? I'd imagine it will be pretty rough after a week of hiking>>>

They do make doggie rainsuits, but from what I understand, they are pretty worthless. I dunno. Ed is such a water dog, and he loves the rain, but we haven't done day-after-day hiking in it yet. Just keep an eye on their paws.

The best way to keep your dog from getting stinky is to clean their feet, before they come into the tent, and brush the dog every day. If you bathe them too often, they'll stink more. Brushing is more effective, unless they roll in something.

I carry a camp towel from Walmart for Ed, because it soaks up a lot of water, and dries fast. Also, a neat trick that I taught Ed is to go directly to his side of the tent, and lie down. This keeps him from running all over everything, and then resting in his spot.

LIhikers
01-18-2007, 16:57
Yes there are dog rain coats, I know because we have one for our shephard. And like Two Speed we've heated our dog's food so he could have a warm meal on a cold day.

LIhikers
01-26-2007, 08:55
My wife and I often hike with our dog, an 80 pound shephard, on hikes of up to a week. After that it's more trouble than we want to handle. He's never cared about the weather one way or another and loves to hike, come what may.
But back to your questions
1. Yes there are rain coats for dogs, we have one for our shephard.
2. For when it's cold and rainy my wife made the dog a fleece jacket to wear under the rain coat. She used the very light weight fleece and it keeps him warm.
3. Once you make camp it's just as important to get the dog dried and into something warm as it is for you. We have a 3 person tent so there's plenty of room for him and we carry a very large pack towel just for drying the dog as well as an insulated coat for camp wear.

RiverWarriorPJ
01-26-2007, 09:11
If any of you out there ever come visit, please don't use the words "Camping" or "Hiking" in the presence of Zeus II (My pUp)..... It takes me an hour to calm him down...lol....But the longest we've been in BackCountry has been 3 weeks...

LupeLeah
01-26-2007, 11:45
RWPJ, is that 3 weeks without going into a town?

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2007, 12:30
We live in Alaska and know that working sled dogs require about 15 hrs of sleep a day..and yes, they handle COLDDDDDDDD temps.. including rain.

Just curious. What breed is Lulu? I ask because there are psysiological differences(fur, paws/pads, etc) between many of the breeds/hybrids used as sled dogs and those bred for other purposes. I'm wondering how this might affect a dogs suitability for long distance hiking and survivng the elements?

RiverWarriorPJ
01-26-2007, 14:36
RWPJ, is that 3 weeks without going into a town?
z
yes Leah.......a lil under 3wks b/4 we hit a town or store..

LupeLeah
01-27-2007, 09:42
That is a long time, at least in my case. By the way, good job on your onetruemedia video/pics.

Froggy
01-27-2007, 19:45
One other thing is that the AT might be five million steps for us humans, but what about for the dogs? Something like maybe 22 million maybe.

Ever notice how dogs sleep much of the day? I'll bet that the hike will use up a large part the their life span.

I'm leaving mine home.

Nightwalker
01-31-2007, 14:56
and also think about carrying his food... he will do better in the long run...and hey the hike is YOUR idea after all. My 2 cents.

I even got the next size up of pack so that I could carry everything for her and let her just have fun. She is like a kid in a toy store out on the trail. She's always willing to get in the car to go to a hike, but hides when you want to leave and go back home. She loves being out there more than I do, and that's a LOT.

Having said that, I've seen some people really make their dogs miserable out there. Mine is half English Setter and half Walker. She's made for miles. If yours isn't, just don't do it! (Or get a Walker Hound, lol. You probably won't keep up with it.)

Nightwalker
01-31-2007, 14:59
blue jays do not sing or cry.:welcome

They sound more like screeching, at least to me. :)

Blue Jay has hiked quite a bit. Don't confuse angry man-ism with wannabe-ism. :eek:

SunnyWalker
11-24-2007, 19:01
I have always been under the impression that you would not want to take a "house dog" on a outdoors hike (especially in winter). If I had a house dog and wanted to take it on such a hike I would first make him spend quite a bit of time "outside" in a doghouse and etc. The dog then builds up the hair or fur to keep warm (winter coat) and etc. If you are constantly letting the dog go outside for awhile, then bringing the dog inside, and inside for the night, the dog never adapts and thus is unprepared for your foray into the woods. Thus the dog would suffer. My vet told me this as I was worried about always keeping my pet doggie outside. The dog loved it (year around) and we got along famously. -SunnyWalker

Uncle Silly
11-24-2007, 20:29
One thing I've noticed is that a wet pack can cause sores to form on the dog where the pack rubs against it. If you end up in a lot of wet weather, keep an eye on your pup's fur and undersides for signs of rubbing. Take extra time to dry out a wet pack when you get a sunny day (you can use this time to dry out your stuff, too).

Dakota Dan
11-24-2007, 22:55
...............I never meet any hikers that had a problem w/ her being in or near the shelter, if I did, i would have set up away from the shelter.

Most people try to be nice. If you ask; most hikers own dogs. If you ask why they didn't bring their dog, then you may start to find out how they really feel about dog's in or near the shelter.

LIhikers
11-26-2007, 18:03
Sure there are rain coats for dogs, see our attached picture. Once we get to camp we set up our tent, then dry off our dog with a large pack towel, and then lastly put his coat on him if it's not warm out. Once he's all set then we put our things in the tent.

minnesotasmith
11-26-2007, 18:49
I think as far as rain is concerned you have to know your dog, my male hates rain, but if he knows we're going to go somewhere he's all for it, he just hates standing in it, my female hates standing in rain but will walk if it's not a down pour.
and for drying off, again you need to know your dog, my male air dries in 30 minutes, my female about 45, they have the benefit of a single coarse coat, my male was raised in snow, by 9 weeks old he was walking 1/2 mile in 2ft of snow, it takes alot to deter him.

I don't see how both premises can be true, that your dog dries faster than my GF's lovely hair, and that your pooch can handle exposure to cold wet weather just fine. The husky mixes I've owned took over 24 hours to dry completely post-bathing, and that was in reasonably dry outside weather after highly thorough toweling with multiple beach towels immediately post-bath. They had this undercoat that is easy for someone not familiar with them to not notice is still damp long after bathing, when the outer coat's tips feel dry to a casual surface touch.

Oh, and though they had NP with subzero-F. weather, they despised cold rains, seeking shelter then.

leeki pole
11-26-2007, 18:57
I don't see how both premises can be true, that your dog dries faster than my GF's lovely hair, and that your pooch can handle exposure to cold wet weather just fine. The husky mixes I've owned took over 24 hours to dry completely post-bathing, and that was in reasonably dry outside weather after highly thorough toweling with multiple beach towels immediately post-bath. They had this undercoat that is easy for someone not familiar with them to not notice is still damp long after bathing, when the outer coat's tips feel dry to a casual surface touch.

Oh, and though they had NP with subzero-F. weather, they despised cold rains, seeking shelter then.
The worst thing you can do for a double-coated dog is to bathe them if they're going to be out in the elements. It removes the natural oils that protect them from the cold and moisture. Ask any hunter or musher or field trial handler.

And you probably smell worse than the dog, anyway.

Dakota Dan
11-27-2007, 01:29
The worst thing you can do for a double-coated dog is to bathe them if they're going to be out in the elements. It removes the natural oils that protect them from the cold and moisture. Ask any hunter or musher or field trial handler.

And you probably smell worse than the dog, anyway.

I own a Malamute and agree.

That said he stays at home, even on day hikes, too much hassle and too many unleashed dogs on the trails.

ed bell
11-27-2007, 01:33
I own a Malamute and agree.

That said he stays at home, even on day hikes, too much hassle and too many unleashed dogs on the trails.You breed them? Reason I ask is that I met a fella from Cinncinati, OH that had 2 he got from ATL. Seemed like an odd place to get that type dog.

take-a-knee
11-27-2007, 01:42
[quote=Blue Jay;292562]That really is toooo bad for the people in Harpers Ferry, but who cares about them. Ever hear of washing, it's really not that hard to do.[/quote

Jaybird, I can tell you are a fellow Dale Carnegie alumnist!

Dakota Dan
11-27-2007, 01:47
You breed them? ......

No but I've kissed him a couple times. :D

On a more serious note....Atl is too hot for these kind of dogs. Hard to believe theres someone here doing that.

ed bell
11-27-2007, 02:02
No but I've kissed him a couple times. :D

On a more serious note....Atl is too hot for these kind of dogs. Hard to believe theres someone here doing that.You got me laughing with that reply..good job... Seriously though, the fellow from Cinncinati said he bought both dogs on seperate occasions from a breeder in ATL. I thought it was wierd as well. I've got some pictures, let me get them uploaded.

ed bell
11-27-2007, 02:26
Here is one photo, the larger dog was 11 months and weighed 110lbs.wow (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20156&c=531)

Dakota Dan
11-27-2007, 14:24
Here is one photo, the larger dog was 11 months and weighed 110lbs.wow (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20156&c=531)

Looks just like mine. They make great pets.

peanuts
11-27-2007, 14:31
:eek:you'll be surprise how many people here in the atl have malamutes and huskies....it does not make sense:eek:and they tend to be kept outside during the summer heat and humidity:mad:

Dakota Dan
11-27-2007, 14:38
:eek:you'll be surprise how many people here in the atl have malamutes and huskies....it does not make sense:eek:and they tend to be kept outside during the summer heat and humidity:mad:

If you brush them good and have a cool cellar for them to stay, they do OK. But, they will suffer in the heat of the South. A fairly high maintenance dog.

superman
11-27-2007, 15:14
Sure there are rain coats for dogs, see our attached picture. Once we get to camp we set up our tent, then dry off our dog with a large pack towel, and then lastly put his coat on him if it's not warm out. Once he's all set then we put our things in the tent.
Winter generally didn't mind the rain but she didn't like it hitting her eyes. In a cold heavy rain one day I pulled the heavy duty garbage bag out of the bottom of my pack (always carried an extra). I moved it forward to cover her eyes and held it in place with her pack. She liked that.
At the end of rainy days I'd put up my tent and Winter would get right into. I fed her and then I'd set up the thermarest and sleeping bag. I cover her with the sleeping bag. After I ate, hung my mouse bag I'd get in the tent. With the rectangular sleeping bag over both of us it was very warm steam heat. In the morning Winter would be sparkly white, fluffy and dry.

SteveJ
11-27-2007, 17:51

I don't disagree, but I'm aware of 2 Huskies in my neighborhood (including mine), and they're both inside dogs.... Mine is in the house the majority of the time during the summer (she moves from one air conditioning vent to another...), outside during the day during the fall, winter and spring, and inside on her bed in front of the fireplace at night...