PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Rocks Shelter Replacement

julie
09-11-2006, 16:29
The Dartmouth Outing Club is in the process of replacing the Velvet Rocks Shelter. We plan to demolish the old shelter this week (September 11, 2006) and begin assembling the new shelter this weekend (September 16, 2006). We hope to have the new shelter completed by the end of this month. Until that time, please carry a tent or tarp when hiking this section just in case the shelter is still in progress.

If you have questions, please contact Julie Clemons, general manager of the Dartmouth Outing Club, at 603-646-1607, or by visiting our offices at Robinson Hall.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 16:37
So when is the scheduled re-opening PARTY????:banana

Velvet rocks wasn't too far from Hanover and all those college students ;).

I wonder if Jack Tarlin knows anything about this.:D

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2006, 16:40
Julie:

Thanx for the notice.

While hiking season has pretty much ended here in Hanover, there are still folks coming thru every day, and will be, for some time to come. In some cases, it is Northbounders who know thay won't make it to Baxter by 15 October and don't care; in some cases, it's people heading South. But there's definitely still some traffic in both directions.

I hope you post notices of the sheleter closing/construction both North AND South of Hanover so folks will know about this well in advance, as with the dorms being effectively closed to hikers, many folks will be planning on staying at Velvet Rocks.

In terms of signage/notification, I'd call the hiker hostel in Glencliff (603) 989-0040 and have them post a large sign; also, I'd post notices in Thistle Hill and Happy Hill shelters in Vermont, as well as at Mose Mountain, Trapper John, and Hexacuba shelters in New Hampshire. Signs at the Trailheads in both Hanover and Norwich couldn't hurt either.

In any case, thanx again for getting the word out on this. You might also want to post this news at the Forums at www.trailjournals.com and www.trailplace.com, and certainly a note to the ATC at www.appalchiantrail.org wouldn't hurt either.

A few quick questions, as I'm the regional editor for next year's Thru-Hiker's Companion. What can you tell us about the new shelter? Is it in the same place? Capacity? Notable features? Anything you can tell us will be useful to next year's hikers, so thanx!

Jack Tarlin
Hanover NH

julie
09-11-2006, 17:34
Thanks Jack.

If anyone is near any of those places Jack mentions, please email me and I will email you a Word document of a sign I just made up to post at both ends of the Velvet Rocks section. I'd love to drive and hike all around and post the sign everywhere but unfortunately I have a shelter to build and a lot of other maintenance to catch up on. So if anybody else is going that way I sure would appreciate the help.

My email address is julie(dot)clemons(at)dartmouth(dot)edu.

What else can I tell you about it? It will be about the same dimensions and on the same footprint as the old one. It is a timberframe. We spent last weekend packing up all the pieces of the frame as well as siding and flooring.

We will have a party at some point to dedicate it to one of our alums, who helped build the original Velvet Rocks shelter and was just a wonderful guy. He passed away last summer and was a personal friend and inspiration so I'm really excited to be able to dedicate this new shelter to his memory.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 17:46
Will the new shelter bear the name of the man you mentioned as being instrumental in the building of the original one?

Will it be at the same location?

When is construction expected to be completed?

I've always wondered about the people shelters are named for, who were they, what did they do, etc. Will there be a placque honoring the man you mentioned? It would make the stay of hikers more memorable (it would for me, at least, I'm sort of a history nut).

Thanks.

julie
09-11-2006, 17:52
We decided not to change the name as that would just confuse everyone and make all the maps out of date. It will be Velvet Rocks Shelter, dedicated to our friend.

There will be a plaque, yes - but maybe not for a few months, as they take a while to have made. And we have to figure out the exact wording.

And yes the new shelter is at the same location as the old one.

I *hope* that construction will be completed within two weeks, but gave us until the end of the month to be sure. Since it's a timberframe and all the exacting work is already done, the assembly should be pretty quick. Unlike Moose Mountain where we started with standing timber.

julie
09-18-2006, 16:13
I'm pleased to announce the shelter-raising went extremely well. Here's a link to Snapfish where I put up just two pictures, "Before" and "After."

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=916181158599462946/l=210819318/g=19611489/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

I'd like to point out that these two pictures were taken....two days apart.:banana

If Snapfish makes you sign in to look, you can either set up an account or you can use [email protected] and "fakey" as the sign in name and password.

We've pinned a tarp over the rafters for the time being and hope to finish roofing and siding in the next couple of weeks.

Next two items on the agenda: brushing the north side of Smarts Mountain and replacing the privy there. Another timberframe project. As above, please email me if you would like to help. We love help, especially from thruhikers.

walkin' wally
09-18-2006, 18:00
Nice pics Julie :sun

Tin Man
09-18-2006, 20:43
My brother and I will be passing through in less than two weeks. We could stop and pitch in for an hour or two if we see you.

Tinker
09-19-2006, 00:45
That sure looks like a very, very solid frame. I'm sure it'll be around for years to come.

TJ aka Teej
09-19-2006, 11:05
http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=916181158599462946/l=210819318/g=19611489/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

I'd like to point out that these two pictures were taken....two days apart.:banana

Wow! That's better built than my barn! Good job, and thanks!

bartender1
09-27-2006, 21:17
Looking forward to seeing it in person this weekend! Will be hiking by this weekend. God willing, if time allows and if help is needed, we may be able to help for an hour or two

Any new photos since last ones?.

Tin Man
09-27-2006, 21:39
Looking forward to seeing it in person this weekend! Will be hiking by this weekend. God willing, if time allows and if help is needed, we may be able to help for an hour or two

Any new photos since last ones?.

Hey Bro! See you bright and early Saturday morning!

julie
09-28-2006, 10:56
Lots of pictures but no time to post them right now. There should be a crew out this weekend putting on the roofing and siding. I'm sure they would welcome a visit. Enjoy your hike!

Tin Man
09-28-2006, 21:26
Thanks Julie! Tin Man(of CT) and Bartender(1) will be sure to stop in. Actually, we plan to stay there Saturday night. Sounds like we will be tenting.

joedannajr
10-09-2006, 21:04
Julie Thanks for the photos of the new VRS. I need to visit the completed one not. My daughter and I are regulars at the Moose Mountain Shelter, it's is a great one.

joedannajr
10-09-2006, 21:05
That should be ............I need to visit the completed one now.