PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing UL Gear?

Bblue
09-11-2006, 17:09
I'm taking up fly fishing and wonder what rod/reel I should get for backpacking. I'd like something as light as possible but still fuctional for a new fly fisher.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 17:39
But not so much for backpacking. If you're hiking in the East, you'll probably benefit from having a short rod (7'6" max.) for small streams where there is a lot of brush. A line weight between 3 and 5 (I use a 4) is good. Three weight gives a softer presentation and five weight is better for larger streams and ponds (casts further, resists wind better). Brand isn't very important, especially for a rod which is more likely to get damaged in transportation. I have a 2 piece Cortland 7'6" 4 wt. rod and an STH reel. I don't hike with the rod on a regular basis, but if I did, I would have chosen a four piece rod based on casting performance, not on brand, finish, fittings, etc. The reel, in that line weight range, is basically a spool with a handle - anything will do fine.

dstenberg1
09-11-2006, 22:46
Go to the Bass Pro Shops website and look at the White River Ultralight fly fishing rod and reel combos. Great deal and very light! It is small, but would be about 4.2 ounces for rod and reel.

Also check out streamlines handlines. They can be used with a casting bubble and a fly and they weigh 2.3 ounces. Not traditional though.

Footslogger
09-11-2006, 22:50
Go to the Bass Pro Shops website and look at the White River Ultralight fly fishing rod and reel combos. Great deal and very light! It is small, but would be about 4.2 ounces for rod and reel.

Also check out streamlines handlines. They can be used with a casting bubble and a fly and they weigh 2.3 ounces. Not traditional though.
===================================

That's pretty much what we carry out here in Wyoming. The rod is telescopic and the rod/rell combo weighs about 4 - 5 oz. We carry a small plastic box with an assortment of weighted flies and spoons. Many of the lakes out here have loads of trout in them and we generally catch quite a few each trip. But we typically release them.

'Slogger

Willyo
06-04-2007, 21:52
Get something in 4 piece 4WT as short as possible (which will probably be 7-7.5 ft- As someone else said, brand of line is not important however you will have more access to inexpensive line in four wt than three weight .. you could forego a reel all together with a set up like this for backpacking purposes .. It may be hard to find superlight gear like this out where you are -- check out troutlet.com for rods you won't mind breaking - wallmart sells 4wt line..

How has "taking up fly-fishing" going for you? I can't recomend a lesson highly enough --

caught an absolutely gorgeous brook trout on a LT/AT section hike in southern VT memorial day weekend -- then broke my rod on the hike out.

Heater
06-05-2007, 19:20
Get something in 4 piece 4WT as short as possible (which will probably be 7-7.5 ft- As someone else said, brand of line is not important however you will have more access to inexpensive line in four wt than three weight .. you could forego a reel all together with a set up like this for backpacking purposes .. It may be hard to find superlight gear like this out where you are -- check out troutlet.com for rods you won't mind breaking - wallmart sells 4wt line..

How has "taking up fly-fishing" going for you? I can't recomend a lesson highly enough --

caught an absolutely gorgeous brook trout on a LT/AT section hike in southern VT memorial day weekend -- then broke my rod on the hike out.

Too bad you didn't have an RPG. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlwWWk9gib0

jasonklass
06-08-2007, 15:16
I like the cablea's Stowaway 5-piece rods. I have a 3 wt. and a 5 wt. Now, they even have 7 pc. versions and that might be the next one I get. I usually team tehm up with an Orvis CFO reel. They're perfect for backpacking and cast A LOT better than you might think for a $100 rod.