PDA

View Full Version : It has been one year . . .

trippclark
09-12-2006, 09:36
It was one year ago yesterday since I last took a step on my northward path towards Maine. It is frustrating that so many other commitments have conspired to where I can now only get out on the AT about once or twice a year.

Anyway, with any luck I will have a chance to resume by hike for 3 days +/- in October. I am really looking forward to it, because it has been years since I have been able to backpack during prime fall color. I will be starting where I left off, at Great Valley, VA (US-11 and I-81, 11.5 miles north of Partnership Shelter).

On my last trip, I neglected what is normally a routine task for me . . . to check out the trail ahead by car to find the next good parking spot/destination and other details.

For those of you familiar with this section of the trail, can you suggest a good place to park a vehicle that is ideally in the 30 - 45 mile range north of this spot? Also any info regarding this section that might not be in the Companion or Handbook would be super (highlights, sights, trail conditions, water, best direction to travel (N>S or S>N), etc.).

THANKS!

trippclark
09-18-2006, 10:38
Well, because on conflicts the week prior and the week after, it looks like this will be a very short trip indeed (Friday afternoon start the trail and Sunday early afternoon back off). It looks like VA623 (29 miles) or Wallace Gap (24 miles) will be the most workable destinations. Is anyone familiar with either of these locations? Any parking available at either or both? Concerns?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 10:53
They're both forest service roads with limited parking. Maybe you could park at the Relax Inn at RT.11/I 81 and get a shuttle and hike back south to your vehicle. When are you doing this?

trippclark
09-18-2006, 11:21
They're both forest service roads with limited parking. Maybe you could park at the Relax Inn at RT.11/I 81 and get a shuttle and hike back south to your vehicle. When are you doing this?

Hi Wolf, thanks for the reply. You might remember us . . . got a shuttle a year or more back from you and I brought you some Harley stuff from Ranny on a later trip. Anyway, the target dates for the trip are Friday, Oct 13 - Sunday, Oct 15. It looks like it will be the same three of us that you shuttled last time when we hiked the high country from Fox Creek to Damascus.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 11:34
I'd help you out but that's the weekend of ALDHA Gathering.

trippclark
09-18-2006, 11:40
I'd help you out but that's the weekend of ALDHA Gathering.

I just sent you a PM. Thanks!