PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own/use/heard of these stoves??

waskelton4
09-12-2006, 10:37
Just checking..

seems like a good deal if they work..

ws

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERST-Camping-Hiking-Backpacking-Stove-ES102_W0QQitemZ270026188771QQihZ017QQcategoryZ8713 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERST-Camping-Hiking-Backpacking-Stove-ES106_W0QQitemZ270028241802QQihZ017QQcategoryZ8713 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-12-2006, 10:41
I have a very old propane sove that is very much like the second one. It is a great stove except pots fall off of it if not held in place. I used it to heat up food for family outing, but never actually cooked on it.

Gray Blazer
09-12-2006, 10:58
Hard to beat the price.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-12-2006, 11:06
Go to wally world and buy the Coleman Peak 1 if you want a stove like this. $3 less, no shipping and they NEVER break. I'm on my second one after giving up on the JetBoil. They are usually around $13, less when they clear out the hiking stuff going into winter.

speedy
09-12-2006, 11:17
The first one is definitely modeled after the MSR Pocket Rocket. It's got different potstand and side burning jets. The pot stands on the second one are copied from the Snowpeak Gigapower and yeah, your pot will slide around on it a lot. That seems to be a common complaint with all these small stoves though. If you're just going to heat up water for freezerbags, they're probably both great for the price. As frugal as I am, my money is still with an msr pocket rocket. They can be found for ~$28-30 on there shipped. I mean after you buy both of these and do lengthy reviews! :D speedy

Edit: Amigi, what made you give up on the jetboil? Other than the weight being comparable to a 747-400 in your pack.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-12-2006, 11:47
The first one is definitely modeled after the MSR Pocket Rocket. It's got different potstand and side burning jets. The pot stands on the second one are copied from the Snowpeak Gigapower and yeah, your pot will slide around on it a lot. That seems to be a common complaint with all these small stoves though. If you're just going to heat up water for freezerbags, they're probably both great for the price. As frugal as I am, my money is still with an msr pocket rocket. They can be found for ~$28-30 on there shipped. I mean after you buy both of these and do lengthy reviews! :D speedy

Edit: Amigi, what made you give up on the jetboil? Other than the weight being comparable to a 747-400 in your pack.
Check the Jetboil threads. I've heard they've gotten better, but once burned, twice shy.

Outlaw
09-12-2006, 12:42
IMHO the first one looks very similiar to the MSR Superfy stove w/ Auto Start igniter. That unit retails for $59.95. Only difference I see is the Superfly has 4 points that support a pot vs. this unit or the MSR Pocket Rocket model that only have 3 support points. I don't know any particulars as to this manufacturer or their reputation. I've done plenty of cooking (not just boiling water) on the Superfly w/o any problems, although I now use a soda can stove due to it being easier cheaper and easier to obtain fuel.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-12-2006, 13:35
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4722923
They appear to have gone up a bit in price, I got mine for $10. I know I've seen them for less than this not on sale recently. Buy name brand, especially stoves. Nothing like eating cold Lipton and hard Ramen when its 30F outside!

speedy
09-12-2006, 15:48
It's sad, I took one look at that coleman and my first reaction was "Wow that's a lot of useless heavy plastic covering that thing!" *goes off to get mental help* :D speedy

saimyoji
09-12-2006, 17:19
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4722923
They appear to have gone up a bit in price, I got mine for $10. I know I've seen them for less than this not on sale recently. Buy name brand, especially stoves. Nothing like eating cold Lipton and hard Ramen when its 30F outside!

Listed as $60 on the Coleman website.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3001A701&categoryid=2005

StarLyte
09-12-2006, 17:58
JUST THIS EVENING I was in my backyard, jonesing to go backpacking, so I lit an esbit tab, made some jasmine rice--burning the tab all the way down (it took 8 minutes) on my handy-dandy-cheap-as-hell esbit stove, put that grease pot full of rice in the pot cozy.....lit up another tab, perked some coffee--yep with the little 1-1/2 cup percolator you see in my photo there on the top left, drank it.....then poured a pouch of Indian fare over the now-finished-cooking jasmine rice: Trader Joes has their own brand of precooked Indian foods, it was only $2.19, paneer cheese w/spices and cashews (just being snotty here...I love doin that to you gear heads), poured this over the HOT jasmine rice. BTW 7 grams protein.......ANYWAY :D :D :D why bother with that expensive complicated gizmo gadget watchmacallit when you can make your life and hiking experience better with a CHEAP and EASY to use....esbit stove.

SIMPLICITY.

That means I get a good night's sleep too.

DAMN I should have taken a photo for you guys to REALLY rub it in.....oh well...I will next time.

ishi
09-12-2006, 20:14
I took an old licence plate and cut sides that fit inside the Esbit stove and also fold up inside when done. It works well and if you drill more holes in the bottom it would work even better. It's light enough to bring along to save gas on good days and you got a backup.