PDA

View Full Version : when you have to go...

coaster
04-17-2003, 23:27
Ok, stupid question- Whats the scenerio with "using the facility's" while hiking the AT? All the books and diarys ive read about the AT hasnt said a thing about this topic. I know the correct way to "go" in the woods and would like to hear how it all works out on the long haul. Thanks

Dirtyoldman
04-18-2003, 04:20
Nothing special to it, Just get your hiney outta sight of the trail, dig a shallow hole and make like a bear....

jlb2012
04-18-2003, 08:16
Of course if you want more detailed instructions there is always the book _How to **** in the Woods_ by Kathleen Meyer

Grimace
04-18-2003, 08:33
on the AT. My trick for #2's. Always had some TP handy and a ziploc in which I carried dirty TP (Poopie Bag). I'd drop my pack on the trail and head out of site making sure to be away from water sources. I'd find a good size rock and kick it out of the ground creating my hole. Place the rock next to the hole and I'd rest one cheek on it to do my business. In rocky areas it's easy to find another rock of similar size to put on the other side of the hole so you actually have a seat. If I only had a sports section... Once I was done, I just replace the rock and good to go.

DebW
04-18-2003, 09:10
Most shelters and designated campsites have outhouses or composting privies, so if you need to go only in the evening or morning, chances are you won't need to dig most of the time.

brian
04-18-2003, 14:08
STG Rocks got a section on how to $hit in the woods, rather interesting view on trail sanitation in general. A must read

Brian

jlb2012
04-18-2003, 14:36
SGT Rock's trail hygiene link (http://hikinghq.net/hygiene_tips.html)

brian
04-18-2003, 14:48
thanx HOI

tlbj6142
04-18-2003, 18:11
The biggest problem I have hiking is keeping my butt clean. I've tried wipes and that helps. But I still end up with "monkey butt" (SGT Rock's term) after 2-3 days. And damn does that hurt.

After thinking about it over past few months since my last trip, I think it might be a moisture issue.

I have to use spandex pants to prevent chafing at the very top 1"-2" of my thighs. While the spandex dries quickly, I think it "holds" a bit of moisture close the skin. As such, I plan to go without underwear in camp/bed to help allow my groin/butt to dryout. Previously, I kept the spandex on 247.

I hope this works. If it does, I'll have "solved" my last major problem with hiking. Other than getting the wife's approval for another trip.:banana :banana

Papa Bear
04-18-2003, 21:15
Originally posted by tlbj6142
The biggest problem I have hiking is keeping my butt clean. I've tried wipes and that helps. But I still end up with "monkey butt" (SGT Rock's term) after 2-3 days. And damn does that hurt.

I wasn't going to "go there" but since we "are there" I'll offer a little trick that works for me.

I usually bring some vaseline along on my treks to help with blisters and chafing.

I find that a little layer of vaseline on the critical spot (hopefully applied when you are still clean) helps to 1) keep the stuff from sticking, and 2) soothes any irratation that me be starting.

I read St. Rock's ideas, and I found his 3 pass wiping routine a bit too much.

Just my take.

Pb

brian
04-18-2003, 21:34
Saint Rock?

Im sure he would be honored to be promoted from Sgt to St.

:P

I use just toilet paper, have never had any chafing problems

Brian

MedicineMan
04-18-2003, 23:18
I carry alcohol get and a film canister of cotton balls soaked in alcohol (rubbing), before bed I swab down my face/neck, then my armpits, then my groin....in winter I use a film canister with a shaker top to get a small amount of Gold Bond Powder and apply that to the perineum...in summer I use Runner's Lube....have never had Monkey But or blisters for that matter, forgot to mention I swab my feet with alcohol before sleep too.

Colter
04-19-2003, 01:16
I think it makes a lot more sense to bury used TP then than carry it out to throw in a landfill. It will break down in no time at all if buried properly. No need to burn it either. Plenty of wildfires are started every year by folks burning toilet paper.

Peaks
04-19-2003, 07:33
Originally posted by Colter
I think it makes a lot more sense to bury used TP then than carry it out to throw in a landfill. It will break down in no time at all if buried properly. No need to burn it either. Plenty of wildfires are started every year by folks burning toilet paper.

That depends in part on how impacted the area is. Certainly the mine fields in the Smokies would look a lot better if people packed it out.

Generally speaking, it's not a problem for most of the AT. There are enough privies so that you usually don't need to trot into the woods that frequently.

RagingHampster
04-19-2003, 11:38
Dig a hole, make a seat (2 rocks), do your business, couple passes with tp, wetwipe towel, dry with tp, throw tp/wipes in hole, fill hole, put rocks on top.

To avoid chaffing of upper theighs, stop every 45mins for 10 or 15 mins, put feet up and legs apart. Don't wear underwear, and wear pants that dry quickly. I'm also using the TEVA wraptor method right now, and my feet are always dry & cool. Layer with your 2 pairs of socks, and a set of seal skinz when it's really cold. I think the humanbody is most comfortable as is. The less clothing the better.

Jumpstart
04-20-2003, 19:00
Originally posted by Papa Bear
I wasn't going to "go there" but since we "are there" I'll offer a little trick that works for me.

I usually bring some vaseline along on my treks to help with blisters and chafing.

I find that a little layer of vaseline on the critical spot (hopefully applied when you are still clean) helps to 1) keep the stuff from sticking, and 2) soothes any irratation that me be starting.

Pb

We discovered this miracle stuff in Waynesboro, as my husband was having a similar problem..it's called BodyGlide, used by triatheletes, very non-greasy and very lubricating for chafing and sore spots most everywhere. Not sure where to buy some as we bought ours at the Rockfish Gap outfittter, but I'll bet lots of outfitters/sports good stores carry it. Good luck :)

tlbj6142
04-20-2003, 21:49
Jumpstart;

I have seen this stuff at REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=737225&parent_category_rn=4500610). Does it "last", or do I have to reapply it all day? Does it sweat off? I assume you have to put it on when you are dry, correct?

I would love to leave my underware (spandex) at home.

Jumpstart
04-21-2003, 07:30
I used it for chafing on the upper thighs, my husband used it pretty much for the entire lower half of his body, and I would say you can go a few hours between application with no problem. It's waterproof and very sweat-resistant. We only ever applied it when we dry, not sure how it would work on wet skin. We tried vaseline, neosporin cream, Gold bond medicated powder, Lubriderm, and cortizone cream, and this was the ONLY thing that worked with any reliability for us. In fact, as a going away present, we gave a friend of ours who is hiking this year a stick of it. It comes in "trial size" deoderant-type sticks, all the way up to a full-size stick, and quickly became the most valuable thing in our packs. I guess you cuold say I endorse the stuff :) This is one of those horrible problems no one ever wants to admit they have... :)

tlbj6142
04-21-2003, 09:05
Sounds like I might need to order some for our spring trip.

Since I can only find it a REI (online), I now have a good excuse to buy that 0.9L Evernew pot I've been eyeing.

Rhody Bill
04-21-2003, 21:31
I have good results with "Baby Ointment" (white stuff in a tube) for all chafing and rash prevention. "No Rinse" brand soap available in some outfitters and marine supply houses works excellently for a daily wipe-down.

cburnett
05-03-2003, 12:36
I have found digging with the classic orange trowel to be tuff in heavily rooted areas. Does anyone know of a better utensil to with which to dig a cat hole? How much does it weigh?

tlbj6142
05-04-2003, 20:46
Use the heel of your shoe? Find a large rock and pull in up, poop in its hole and put the rock over it.

Spread it thin with a stick?

Bandana Man
05-04-2003, 22:27
I've used a hiking pole to break up really hard ground before scooping out a cathole with a plastic orange trowel. Worked for me better than kicking with the heel of a boot. Also, this is just another opinion, but I think TP should be packed out in double ziplock bags.

Rhody Bill
05-06-2003, 21:01
I use a cheapo 'dollar store ' type garden trowel (thin stamped sheet metal with a plastic handle) . Cut off half of the handle and then sharpen one side with a coarse file leaving sort of a serrated edge. Works on small roots. You'll learn after a while to recognize the easier places to dig (and hope no-one has beat you to the same spot)....

stranger
05-07-2003, 02:15
Aren't we talking about ****ting in the woods? Why would you care about weight in such a personal matter...kinda amusing.

OR you can **** in your hat to save weight

jojo0425
06-16-2003, 17:33
dup

jojo0425
06-16-2003, 17:35
Body glide is used by runners as well so you can go into any good running outfitter and find it.

Nightwalker
01-02-2004, 14:41

I read St. Rock's ideas, and I found his 3 pass wiping routine a bit too much.

Just my take.

Pb

I use triple-antibiotic ointment as a multi-use item. Good for dried-out chapped lips, good for not getting an infected gash, and good for the raw crotch or butt that I seem to get at times.

Dry does seem to be the key. I found that microfiber boxer-briefs keep problems at bay much more than any other drawers that I use, including silk. They also dry very fast when I wash 'em on the trail.

Frank

Moon Monster
01-03-2004, 00:14
Why is discussing the weight of your digging item amusing? The weight of everything you carry is important--even food and water. I dug catholes with any pointed rock I could find nearby.

Chaffing/rashes seem to be very individual in what solves them. Keep all these mentioned solutions in mind when you are out there in case the method you first choose doesn't work for you.

Footslogger
01-03-2004, 14:29
Most of the replies here so far have been about solid waste and post dump hygene.

Just thought I'd throw out another point, since it relates to the original post. When you get the "urge" in the middle of the night and exit a shelter (if you're staying in a shelter, of course) to water the lillies ...watch out for the "heavy use areas", which are generally immediately behind the shelter. Suggest that you walk away from the shelter and a bit into the woods before picking your spot.

Valmet
01-04-2004, 09:39
Many years ago I had a person tell me that he used carmax when he got a sore butt. I tried it and it worked great. I now carry two of them one labeled face one labeled butt. Another reason I do my best to never stay at a shelter is the smell. It is always amazing how many people take a leak at the shelter.

jlb2012
01-04-2004, 20:23
Ok I give up - what the heck is carmax other than a place / site to buy cars?

Moose2001
01-04-2004, 20:57
Oh yes..one more thing. While you're digging that hole and doing your business.......watch out for the posion ivy. Failure to do so could make your next several weeks somewhat....uncomfortable.

Peaks
01-05-2004, 09:18
Ok I give up - what the heck is carmax other than a place / site to buy cars?

Carmex is lip balm, like Chap stick. Usually sold in a tiny jar. Also available in a tube. Usually used for cold sores and dry chapped lips. $1.29 for 0.35 oz (10 g). Look for it at outfitters, ski shops, etc.

However, if your lips get chapped, it a sign that you are not drinking enough water, even in dry climates.