PDA

View Full Version : Stony Man Mountain SNP

adh24
09-12-2006, 12:54
Any good places to tent around the Stoney Man Mountain area in SNP. I see you can't camp above the elevation of the AT which is to the west but to the east of the trail looks ok. Dinner at the summit would be nice to watch the sun set then get off the peak to sleep.

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:17
ill keep a look out....

Vi+
09-16-2006, 14:14
adh24,

You ask (Post #1), “Any good places to tent around the Stoney Man Mountain area in SNP.” You advise, "Dinner at the summit would be nice to watch the sun set then get off the peak to sleep.”

The area in Shenandoah National Park around Stony Man includes the Stony Man Overlook, which has an impressive view to the west. A trail to the overlook connects with the Appalachian Trail.

The trail from the AT to the overlook has another trail, eastbound, before you reach the overlook itself. This trail drops down to Skyline Drive. Shortly after you leave the AT-Overlook approach trail, there are some level areas which should accommodate a tent. Farther down it’s mainly hillside.

If these sites prove unsuitable for you, hike south a short distance - by either returning to the AT or continuing to descend to Skyline Drive - to much flatter areas.

A short distance south, by either means, is Skyland which, if it hasn't closed for the season, is famous for the blueberry pancakes served for breakfast. No dishes.

Skyline
09-16-2006, 15:35
There is dry stealth camping in the general vicinity of where the Stony Man Nature Trail and AT end their concurrence about 0.4 mi. north of the Nature Trail parking lot. In fact, several very good sites. Look around, you'll find something. You'll need to get your water at Skyland Lodge, however, where you can also indulge in pricey food and drink.

You risk a $75 citation if you camp within 0.25 mi. of any "developed" area in SNP, and Skyland is about as developed as it gets. Many hikers have been busted over the years for stealthing near the Skyland water tower, for example.

jlb2012
09-17-2006, 16:44
There is dry stealth camping in the general vicinity of where the Stony Man Nature Trail and AT end their concurrence about 0.4 mi. north of the Nature Trail parking lot. In fact, several very good sites. Look around, you'll find something. You'll need to get your water at Skyland Lodge, however, where you can also indulge in pricey food and drink.

since I didn't remember these stealth sites I went up there to take a look - several very good sites just where Skyline indicates - the sites are up a little off the combined nature trail and AT very close to where the split occurs. The social trail to the sites is fairly obvious until it hits a rocky area as it goes up on a very small ridge.

ocourse
07-05-2011, 16:16
I just overnighted there. Just as described above, there is a pretty obvious path leading to several sites just far enough off the A.T. to be legal. I hammocked just a short distance from the established sites. One of the sites had the remnants of a very recent campfire! I was amazed by that and choose to move along just a little further.