PDA

View Full Version : Monson & Katahdin 9/8-11

TJ aka Teej
09-12-2006, 13:43
Nice visit with the service providers and hikers in Monson Friday and Saturday. Stayed at Shaw's where Tortoise, Leprechaun, Yellow Belly, Sanford, Hannah, Gotta Go, Little Engine, Stumble, Dirt, Comfortably Numb, Yukon, Texas, Long Knife, Doomsomething (about a salamander?), Dinosaur, Heinz, Hobbit, Gray Fox, UConn, and Pumpkin were enjoying the hospitality. Lake Shore House's new owners and kids were fun to hang with - and the food and drinks at the new pub were outstanding. Three hikers were working for food at the Barb-B-Q, where they were rewarded with giant porkchops and fixin's. I've had barbeque all over the country, and Spring Creek is as good as any of the best. Got in a whole eight miles of AT hiking. Friday night at Tim's store was a Bluegrass jamboree with a dozen players and storefull of singers and clappers enjoying the fun. Tim can really pick! The crowd was mostly locals, but the half dozen hikers were made welcome and enjoyed the free snacks Lulu was cooking up behind the counter. The Canadian Army made an appearance too, staying the night at Shaws in camo with Mapleleaf flag arm patches. They were planning on an adventure training exercise across the 100 Mile. Next morning at breakfast Fern said they'd reconsidered, and would just do Gulf Hagas north instead. Much ribbing over 3Xs commenced about the Canadian discounted Wilderness. Went up and visited the outfitter in Greenville too, which was a hoppin' place during the annual float-plane fly-in. On my way out of town I ran Hannah up to the trailhead, just as her pal Pumpkin popped out of the woods. Ran him back into town too. The festival in Greenville had hit full stride - there was an actual traffic jam by the Indian Store!
Up at Abol Bridge I talked with Linda at her store, and chatted with PopTart the AT trailrunner and M & M, a very tall Birt who had just hiked in. I hiked north on the AT along the river, one of the prettiest sections of Trail I know. Saw four different young female moose, a pair of muskrats, an osprey, six day hikers, and two foxes in about a two mile stretch.
Later in the day inside the Park (and after a heavy downpouring thunderstorm) I met up with M&M again - he stayed at the Birches by himself, the only thru in the Park that night. Next day I hiked the AT south out of Daicey south and met Low Gear and Mountain Goat coming in, at the head of a large bunch they said. Went up onto the Hunt Spur, enjoying the Class One day, and chatted with several section hikers and day trippers. Back down at the campground the bunch behind Low Gear and Mountain Goat trickled in, with some AT '01 alum finishing a 100 mile anniversary hike. Happy, Stryder, Da Bear, Johnny Appleseed, Mr & Mrs Miller, Spitball, Wild Bill and OYBG (other young bearded guys) were met by recently finishing hikers Jellybean and Shasta providing some magic. I got some excellent feedback about the Companion, and some Maine AT folks got some excellent compliments from the hikers. I was invited back to the Birches, and as the forecast called for another 28 degree night, I took over some firewood. I left them about 7 after laughing too much while teasing some who were planning a 2AM start. 3 of them, including Low Gear and Mountain Goat, actually did hit the moon-bright trail at 2. What a cold, but marvelous, summit they must've had on yet another Class One day. Saw the very bundled up Mr & Mrs Miller, Johnny, Spitball and IFerget as I was packing up in the morning hitting the Trail, (still just 35 degrees). I took pictures for them at the signpost as they headed up. Said good-by to my friend Ranger Bruce White and drove all the way around to Sandy Stream Pond for a circuit hike. The "other side" of Katahdin is where we camped and climbed when I was just a pup, it's wierd to know that I'm older than my Dad was way back then.
Had a great visit at Park HQ with Heather Haskell and the other Rangers there, then headed down towards Brownville and the Jo-Mary Road. Hiked a thereandbackagain to Cooper Brook Lean-to, visited the Campground and the Gatehouse folks. and missed a few Brownville contacts, but the rest of the four days were a great time with the finest kind of folks.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 15:11
Great report!!

DawnTreader
09-12-2006, 18:11
memories...at the corner of my mind

StarLyte
09-12-2006, 18:18
This is why I'm spending a month or longer in Maine next year this time. Thanks again for the post TJ. I just love to hear these reports! I have photos of some of these hikers too.