PDA

View Full Version : Good News in Hanover

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 15:28
Some good news in the local paper this morning: Advanced Transit, the local bus service that services Hanover and surrounding towns, just received two grants totalling 2.9 million dollars from the Federal Transit Administration. This means that bus service in the area will continue, and will be better than it already is.

What it means to hikers is that it'll be easier to get to West Lebanon to shop (Eastern Mountain Sports, L.L. Bean, Wal-Mart, Borders Books, etc.) as well as to get to other places like White River Junction, which has some inexpensive motels, as well as Amtrak service.

The main bus stop is on Main Street in front of the Dartmouth Bookstore; you can get free schedules inside. Hanover is also serviced by Peter Pan Bus and Greyhound; the stop is in front of the Hanover Inn, opposite the town Green.

Wonder
09-12-2006, 16:51
Grayhound, huh? Maybe I'll have to come visit!

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 20:42
Well, it's not exactly a large system.

Half the money is to buy new buses; the rest isfor a maintenance facility.

In any case, this system helps out a lot folks.....students, older folks, people without cars, and sometimes people who HAVE cars but find it more convenient or economical to take the bus.

Oh, and it helps hikers a lot, too. Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. The bus service gives hikers all sorts of options on these and other services.

Tin Man
09-12-2006, 21:24
Is there bus service from the Lebanon Municipal Airport to Hanover? We plan to pick up a rental car at the airport, drop our car at Kinsman, return the rental at the airport and get a taxi ride to Hanover. This appeared cheaper than shuttle service and put us in control of our schedule. Other suggestions?

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 21:33
I'm not sure. There are two bus lines (Red and Blue) that service Lebanon but I'm not sure this includes the airport.

Call their main office at (802) 295-1824 for more information.

And remember, there is NO weekend service.

Tin Man
09-12-2006, 21:39
Thanks Jack! We are going on a Saturday, so I guess we will stick to the taxi option.

weary
09-12-2006, 21:48
...Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. ....
Wow!!! what a truly great trail town. I wonder how I missed appreciating these great attributes.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 21:52
Nice try, Weary, but if you're gonna be snotty, get your facts right for once.

When you hiked, there was FREE lodging at the college; there was an excellent Outfitter, the Dartmouth Co-Op; there was a fine laundromat; and there was an affordable supermarket, Grand Union.

So if you missed these attributes while in town on your hike, perhaps it was because your head was lodged in its customary place during your visit.

And Hanover is STILL a great Trail town, Weary, and is extremely popular with hikers despite the changes in the kinds of services available. If you actually knew more about the contemporary Trail than you pretend to, you'd be aware of this.

rickb
09-12-2006, 22:03
It's the best kind of Trail town-- one you actually walk through.

Like Monson used to be, and Harpers Ferry has come to be (so I have heard).

weary
09-12-2006, 22:19
Nice try, Weary, but if you're gonna be snotty, get your facts right for once.

When you hiked, there was FREE lodging at the college; there was an excellent Outfitter, the Dartmouth Co-Op; there was a fine laundromat; and there was an affordable supermarket, Grand Union.

So if you missed these attributes while in town on your hike, perhaps it was because your head was lodged in its customary place during your visit.

And Hanover is STILL a great Trail town, Weary, and is extremely popular with hikers despite the changes in the kinds of services available. If you actually knew more about the contemporary Trail than you pretend to, you'd be aware of this.
Jack: I wasn't thinking of 1993. I've been in Hanover many times since then, most recently last summer.

Tin Man
09-12-2006, 22:24
I agree. We ended our section last year at the coffee shop on the corner across from the college. They were only too happy to deliver our danish and coffee at a table out front. We sat and enjoyed the scene and the town folks who were friendly and stopped to chat. I believe we were there the Friday of the ALDHA (?) gathering. We chatted a bit with a young thru-hiker who had just finished a week or so earlier and came to join the gathering. Beautiful town, beautiful people. Only wish we could have hung around and run into Jack to say hello or buy him a beer.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 22:25
So what. Your post #8 was still ignorant and snotty.

The thread was about bus service, Weary. And that's all it was about. If you're gonna take your usual piss in the pool and get us flying off topic, please do it on another thread. Your act's getting cold.

weary
09-12-2006, 22:40
So what. Your post #8 was still ignorant and snotty.
The thread was about bus service, Weary. And that's all it was about. If you're gonna take your usual piss in the pool and get us flying off topic, please do it on another thread. Your act's getting cold.
Smile, Jack. Smile occasionally.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 23:09
Actually, I smile a great deal.

And I crack up often, too.

Frequently, Weary, it's after reading one of your posts.

'night.

Nean
09-13-2006, 00:40
I knew the Grand Union was gone, but the co-op too!:(

The times, they are a changin...

I'll always love Hanover, too many good memories.;)

The Trail.... the towns,:-? are what you make them.

Thanks for the update Jack!:)

Lone Wolf
09-13-2006, 06:54
Well, it's not exactly a large system.

Half the money is to buy new buses; the rest isfor a maintenance facility.

In any case, this system helps out a lot folks.....students, older folks, people without cars, and sometimes people who HAVE cars but find it more convenient or economical to take the bus.

Oh, and it helps hikers a lot, too. Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. The bus service gives hikers all sorts of options on these and other services.
It's a lousy trail town for the reasons you listed above.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-13-2006, 07:40
Congrats to Hanover's public transportation for landing the grant.

I'm going to have to go with L. Wolf - Hanover doesn't sound like the best trail town. However, if the public transportation is adequate to get to and from the trail to West Lebanon (a town with the services hikers need), West Lebanon may be an adequate place to resupply and get new gear. With 35 hotels, I imagine some sort of inexpensive lodging exist there. Also, with Dartmouth in Hanover, I'd say a hiker wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone willing to let him / her crash on the floor and take a shower. And then there's the Tarlin Inn for friends of Jack :D

max patch
09-13-2006, 07:51
I love trail towns that the trail actually goes through.

And if Thayer Hall still serves hikers, I'd gladly overlook all the other shortcomings, perceived and otherwise. I took an extra day in Hanover just to eat.

Nean
09-13-2006, 08:44
I love trail towns that the trail actually goes through.

Enjoy them while you can.:) I believe the ATC feels differently.:(

StarLyte
09-13-2006, 08:47
Grayhound, huh? Maybe I'll have to come visit!

No you won't Wonder.....I'm picking you up next year on my way there :D :D

neighbor dave
09-13-2006, 08:57
:-? bus service eh? and i thought you may have cleaned up yer front yard!!!!!:jump ;)

MOWGLI
09-13-2006, 08:57
I thought the health food store (Co-Op) on the way out of town was the best supermarket on the entire trail. Hands down.

ARambler
09-13-2006, 10:27
I thought the health food store (Co-Op) on the way out of town was the best supermarket on the entire trail. Hands down.

Or bottoms up for the beer. I can't remember a better selection of micros on the trail.

I knew the Grand Union was gone, but the co-op too!:(

...Thanks for the update Jack!:)

If you and Rusty want to call God a cheater, well ok, but the Co-op closing! Where did you get that? ;)

Rambler

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 15:29
Actually, Wolf, most of this year's hikers took a zero day off here and enjoyed the town thoroughly, even without the lack of amenities you mentioned.

And aren't you always saying that hostels suck and that hikers have it too easy anyway? :-?

In short, most folks still think Hanover is a great place, Wolf.

And just for the record, there's lots of new things here.....restaurants, stores, galleries, and so on. When were you last here, anyway?

Lone Wolf
09-13-2006, 15:35
A town that has no hostels, motels, laundromat, outfitter or grocery is not a "great" trail town. Bars and restaurants don't make it "great". It's "great only cuz you live there.

Ewker
09-13-2006, 15:37
I have never been to Hanover but would like to make it up there oneday. Maybe next yr

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 15:47
You evidently haven't been here for awhile, because your facts aren't that great.

*There's a grocery store right on the Trail, the Food Co-op, that some folks consider the best on the Trail, tho it's a bit pricey on some things. It's a lot easier to get to than, say, the supermarket in other towns, Damascus for example.

*There are several motels. Most folks stayed at the Sunset or the Chieftain,
both a bit over a mile from the center of town. The Sunset is on one of the
lines and is also an easy hitch. Folks that split the rooms several ways paid
less than $35.00 each.

*The laundromat is also just over a mile away. Many folks split the cost of a
cab (there's great local taxi service) and got there and back for less than a
few dollars each. Many others found a way to do laundry elsewhere, like
on campus or at my house.

*There are several "outdoor" stores and sporting good shops that sell such
things as outerwear, shoes, etc. Fuel is freely available. People that need
a real outfitter can very easily get to one. Lots of good trail towns don't
have a real Outfitter....Pearisburg, Duncannon, Delaware Water Gap,
Monson. And in some towns, the Outfitter is difficult to get to, like in
Waynesboro.

Your complaints are minor ones, Wolf. I said that most of this year's hikers that I saw in Hanover really liked the place, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I live here.

How many hikers did YOU talk to in Hanover this year, eh?

Lone Wolf
09-13-2006, 15:56
Hitching or taking a bus out of a town the trail goes thru, to find what hikers need makes that town not "great". If Hanover was a dry town and you didn't take hikers in, hikers wouldn't hang there. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, Hanover is a 2. Just my opinion so don't get wadded up.:)

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 16:01
Each to their own opinion.

I know of several hundred members of the Class of '06 who'd disagree with you, even the ones who tented on the edge of town and waited on getting laundry done til Glencliff.

And the majority of hikers who passed thru didn't stay with me (I didn't even get back to town til late in the summer), so my taking people in is hardly a factor.

Admittedly, things have changed in town from a few years ago, mainly due to the dorms not taking in hikers anymore, but the vast majority of folks who visit here sem to enjoy the place a great deal.

RITBlake
09-13-2006, 16:05
Stayed in one of the frat houses while we were there. Frat boys were pretty cool with us. Fed us plenty of beer. Hanover is a nice town with plenty of food options.

Sly
09-13-2006, 16:45
Well, with the closings of the outfitter, food stores, and places to stay, having a bus system to nearby towns is a good thing.

Hanover still has good places to eat and a great bar that serves cocktails! I'll give it 7 stars for those reasons alone!

Nean
09-14-2006, 01:07
If you and Rusty want to call God a cheater, well ok, but the Co-op closing! Where did you get that? ;)

Rambler

So, you and Rusty think God is a cheater! my my:rolleyes:

I believe I misunderstood about the co-op being closed. Oh well, there's a first time for everything here on WB.;) :D

Sly
09-14-2006, 01:29
Nean/god/Rusty/cheating? Did I miss a post?

ARambler
09-14-2006, 03:10
Sometimes posts on WB get a little off track. Somehow a deviation from the Bill Irwin thread ended up in Hanover. Could I have something to do with it??:eek:

I get a little upset when someone says my beer supply is in jeopardy.

Glad the Co-op and the rest of Hanover is still doing well. Last time I stayed in a Dartmouth frat, the Folly stalls had Clash lyrics (1980 album) written on them. I think it's time to get over the lodging situation.
Rambler

Nean
09-14-2006, 09:15
I get a little upset when someone says my beer supply is in jeopardy.

Glad the Co-op and the rest of Hanover is still doing well.

And who could blame you?!:D

Likewise!! ;) :)