PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for my dog

Jeanette
09-12-2006, 17:07
Anybody have a recommendation for dog backpacks? I want to get something for my mutt to carry his food. We're usually out for four or five days at a time, and he eats about 1.5 cups of food a day, so the pack doesn't have to be humongous. Looks like the lowest priced option is the Kelty Chuck Wagon, which is around $35 plus shipping. Thoughts?

Phreak
09-12-2006, 17:23
I've settled on the Mountainsmith Dogpack for both of my dogs. We tried the Kelty Chuckwagon, Mountainsmith Dogpack, Granite Gear Ruff Rider, Granite Gear Approach Pack, Outdoor Products Dog Pack, and a couple of off brand packs. The Mountainsmith is my favorite one. Some people have stated they had issues with the front torso strap rubbing their dog raw, but I haven't experienced it with my dogs. Hope this helps.

mweinstone
09-12-2006, 17:39
but i tell everyone never go out without skunk wash in the dogs pack.its a little bottle that can change hell back to earth.and the pain of spray in the dogs face is just like mace. so be real, if you dog your walk,carry the ability to deskunk your dog. having witnessed a thruhikers delema at the trail to franklin this year,.. wow ,.. all i can say is if i took a dog, hed be leashed the whole way. just like i learned from traumma. whos grate dame was happy from newfoundland to the keys. and he never let the dog drink from the source.

StarLyte
09-12-2006, 18:15
Excellent idea Matthewski.

I just love those little dog packs - makes me wish I had a Lab or similiar to hike with. I have a black pomeranian - I call him a circus dog. He'll dance for any kind of snack, including forest critters.

Chip
09-12-2006, 18:42
Anybody have a recommendation for dog backpacks? I want to get something for my mutt to carry his food. We're usually out for four or five days at a time, and he eats about 1.5 cups of food a day, so the pack doesn't have to be humongous. Looks like the lowest priced option is the Kelty Chuck Wagon, which is around $35 plus shipping. Thoughts?

The packs for my dogs are the Kelty Chuck Wagon. These work well for them. Have many miles of use. I agree with mweinstone regarding keeping your dog on a leash. I use a belt hook up system so my hand are free, the leash hooks to belt.

Good Luck, Happy Trails, :)
Chip

Rouen
09-13-2006, 09:06
I say look at your dog then look at several designs of pack, does your dog have an abdominal tuck behind the ribs or is it barrel shaped? a barrel shaped dog wont use the belly band on a pack the same way a dog with a tuck does, there are other features to look at as well, like strap design, pack shape and the way your dog moves.

Bassline
09-19-2006, 21:55
One quick piece of advice. Dont go for the pack with the most padding. If your dog has a lot of fur and/or it is a hot day, all that padding is going to do is make it more worse. Just my 2 cents.

general
09-21-2006, 18:14
check out ruffwear packs.

One Leg
09-23-2006, 00:45
I've got a Granite Gear pack, never used, if you're interested. It fits a dog around the size of a lab. retriever. EMail me if interested.

SteveJ
09-23-2006, 08:49
I use a relatively cheap outdoor products pack for phoebe (bought it as a starter pack and havent found a good reason to upgrade). a lot of folks on the yahoo traildog group use wolfpacks... (had hand surgery last week - typing with 1 hand stinks!)