PDA

View Full Version : Where are the 06 SOBO'S?

khaynie
09-12-2006, 18:22
Does anyone know the whereabouts on the 06 SOBO's?

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 20:52
Assuming the early ones started in June, I'd say some are as far ahead as North Central Virginia, with the majority being spread out between Shenandoah National Park and New Jersey. (And some are much further back; a few just left Hanover a few days ago).

Creek Dancer
09-12-2006, 21:30
Lawnchair and Dr. Cords (Curtis?) left June 1. They were in the SNP over Labor Day. Someone else here on WB saw them near Partnership Shelter last weekend, I think.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 21:38
Damn. If they were in SNP over Labor Day, and at Partnership last weekend, that's over 325 miles in around five days.

Very impressive mileage. :-?

Amigi'sLastStand
09-12-2006, 22:07
Damn. If they were in SNP over Labor Day, and at Partnership last weekend, that's over 325 miles in around five days.

:-? 65 miles a day? No problem. I could do it.:rolleyes:

In an ATV.:D

ARambler
09-12-2006, 23:35
How many miles a day can SOBO's do Aqua blazing (upstream)?

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2006, 23:38
If they can canoe 65 miles a day, upstream, they shouldn't be on the AT, they should be rowing in the Olympics.

RITBlake
09-13-2006, 10:08
SOBO's don't aquablaze mainly because they don't know what aquablazing is and have never heard of aquablazing. (im serious!)

Creek Dancer
09-13-2006, 10:11

Good grief! I had no idea it was that far. I must have the shelter name wrong.

Creek Dancer
09-13-2006, 10:12
SOBO's don't aquablaze mainly because they don't know what aquablazing is and have never heard of aquablazing. (im serious!)

Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is aquablazing?

RITBlake
09-13-2006, 10:32

I don't know!!!!

RITBlake
09-13-2006, 10:33

I don't know!!!! :eek:

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 15:26
"Aquablazing" refers to knocking down the miles by travelling by boat instead of hiking.

On the A.T., it is most frequently done by canoeing from Waynesboro to Front Royal instead of hiking through Shenandoah National Park, tho I know of folks who've done it on the Hudson!

RITBlake
09-13-2006, 15:59
how do you even set that up while you are hiking??

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 16:04
It's pretty easy to get the information, either at the Outfitter or elsewhere in town. The cost depends on the size of the party involved and number of boats required. Most folks who do this seem to enjoy it, but I'd rather hike the Park.

Tin Man
09-13-2006, 20:44
Gee, I have aquablazed on the Hudson River and didn't even know I was doing it. ;)

Marta
09-14-2006, 06:43
Not to interrupt this acquablazing discussion, or anything...

I'm hiking SOBO and I'm in Kent, CT, at a friend's house. The main group of SOBOs I started with in early July are 5-10 days ahead of me now, according to their register entries. There are still some within a few miles of me, and some behind.

It's supposed to rain again today, dammit.

Greywolf
09-14-2006, 08:29
I ran into two SOBO's in Duncannon on Tuesday 12, evening. I hiked with another SOBO, Stretch, for a few days. He was passing through Caledonia State Park on Tueday 12th.

Bloomer
09-14-2006, 15:07
I will go to Baxter SP tomarro and start my Flip Flop hike to Kent, CT. Looking worward to walking with the leaves turning. Things are just getting started up here. I think in about three weeks the leaves will be in full color. Hope to make it to Kent around Holloween. Safe travels too all.

Bloomer 06

TJ aka Teej
09-14-2006, 18:35
Heinz left Monson heading south Sept 10th, and a southbounder was at Katahdin Stream on the 11th. Don't think either were flippers.

TJ aka Teej
09-14-2006, 18:38
I will go to Baxter SP tomarro and start my Flip Flop hike to Kent, CT.

It's a great time to be on the AT in Maine, Bloomer! Enjoy!

khaynie
09-14-2006, 18:55
I wish I could describe in words how much I would like to be walking through the Fall again. Congrats to all NOBO'S and SOBO's! Keep up the hike ~ maybe I'll see a couple of you SOBO's in Georgia or North Carolina this fall. I'll be out there!

Topcat
09-16-2006, 19:01
It's supposed to rain again today, dammit.

Well, you know what they say, "No rain, no pain no.........Georgia??????"

i think the SOBOS need their own rhyme....any ideas?

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2006, 19:05
How 'bout this:

"They don't have a clue, they don't know the passwords.
These poor sons of bitches are hiking ass-backwards."

Miss Janet
09-16-2006, 19:07
The first SoBo hiker I know of this far south just passed through Erwin. Hobbit is his name and he started around June 4th. There may be few others between here and Va. Does anyone know any numbers from Harpers Ferry yet?

Topcat
09-16-2006, 19:33
lol, Jack

you made milk come out my nose

STEVEM
09-18-2006, 08:58
I met Solo who started in Maine on 6/13/06 near High Point, NJ on 9/16. That was his first day back after 2-weeks off due to foot injury.
Unfortunately he reinjured his foot and back. he left the trail on 9/17 to return home to VA for full recovery. Says he plans to hike south from VA when he feels better. Also plans to fill in skipped area in section hikes.

AkimboRdr5
10-04-2006, 12:50
I'm the Hobbit to which Miss Janet was referring too, Z. Hobbit actually. I finished up the night of Sept. 30. There's another SOBO, I've Only, who's probably finishing up today. After that I'm not really sure where everyone is. My guess is there will be a handful that finish in the next 2 weeks or so, but i don't really know.

Scorpion
10-04-2006, 21:38
I returned last night from my hike, Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam. I was going to mention that I met Z Hobbit, but I see he already posted. I also met I've Only a couple of days behind Z Hobbit. Sunday just north of The NOC I met two other thru hikers, Stretch and Goat. Those were the only four thru hikers I met in my week on the trail.

I also met two section hikers who were on their last sections. They were Tuxedo and Patagonius. Two other section hikers were Scott and Steve.

Actually I was surprised that there were very few backpackers on the trail. I did have a good hike and saw a black bear about 5 miles north of the Georgia-North Carolina state line. He was sitting in a tree looking at me.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

goldmane
10-15-2006, 19:15
I'm SOBO in Damascus, VA today (10/15), started 6/2, and I think I'm about in the middle of the pack right now. I was #28 at Harper's Ferry, and Rusty said they were up to 50 when he checked a day or two before we got there (8 or 9 days later).

Book

SOBO'6

khaynie
11-13-2006, 09:02
On my way up to Siler Bald Shelter this Saturday (the one just N of Franklin) in the rain I met 4 SOBO's. They were headed into Franklin to resupply, clean up, and planned on staying with Ronnie Haven at the Budget Inn. For all you other SOBO's still on the trail: Dr Rudder, Kats, Dorothy, and Jimmy Legs says hello.

chelko
11-20-2006, 16:21
Met SOBO Toby Run at the Double Springs Shelter 18.3 miles south of Damascus on the night of the 18th. He was well and looked good. Planning on getting off trial on the 21st for the holiday with some family. Said he was on schedule to finish mid December. Hike Toby Hike!

lilpuppie
11-24-2006, 16:26
Just had an amazing thanksgiving at Miss Janets and we're 0'ing today for a number of reasons. I'm here with site, we both got off in Devils Fork (gap?) and got a ride back here. We'll start back there tomorrow. We were here with Pi and Laces who got here from Davenport gap. Our thru is going very well.. hoping for less precipitation than we've seen in the past week for at least the Smokies.. but I guess we don't have much of a say in that. :)

--nemo

woodsy
11-24-2006, 16:42
Keep 0n truckin Nemo, good to hear it's going well.

SawnieRobertson
11-24-2006, 19:42
Five Leaf Clover and SnapShot got as far as Bland today; tomorrow, VA 623.

Kinnickinic

d2b2
11-24-2006, 22:09
A friend of mine, EasyFeelin' was south of Duncannon just before Thanksgiving.

goatmilk
11-27-2006, 17:41
Hello...Hello. I'm SoBo and I'm in Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro). Yup, Yup. It's quite an adventure at this time of year. It's nice and crisp out there. Many solo parties too. Peace. Goatmilk :banana

Oh yeah, I met Twinkletoes at Bears Den Hostel. John and Molasses and Mark and Twain are around 10 days ahead of me (give or take a few). I don't know who's behind me???

jlb2012
11-27-2006, 17:48
goatmilk - how is the trail through SNP? I have heard that there were a lot of blowdowns due to a storm last week.

Egads
11-27-2006, 22:29
I didn't catch their names, but 2 SOBOs passed thru Blue Mtn GA Friday Night. A few guys at Trey Mtn shelter were discussing their thru-hiker's funk Saturday night.

Mother Nature
11-27-2006, 23:13
Now that the leaves are just about all down and he's declared a winner in his annual leaf catching contest he's getting serious...Stumpknocker should be finishing his 2006 hike at the Homeplace sometime around Dec 7-10. I am sure this is one hike he will be glad to get behind him!!!

MN

tiamalle
11-27-2006, 23:21
Now that the leaves are just about all down and he's declared a winner in his annual leaf catching contest he's getting serious...Stumpknocker should be finishing his 2006 hike at the Homeplace sometime around Dec 7-10. I am sure this is one hike he will be glad to get behind him!!!

MNHi Mother Nature,I picked up Bottle today and he is staying in Franklin tonight.Ron

fiddlehead
11-30-2006, 09:06
I was down at Eckville yesterday visiting Lazee and talked to a SOBO'er who gave me some recent news on some hikers.
Unfortunately I forget the guys name i talked to, he started at Katahdin and is going to Springer. I wrote the rest of what he said down so i could update this thread for you all.

So, as of Wed. Nov 28, 2006, TUNDRA MAN & ICE WOOKIE (who have a website he told me) are 3 days south of Eckville.

DUCT TAPE (who flipped?) should be finishing in Port Clinton today.

CHASE is aprox 2 weeks ahead

EZ FEELIN 2 weeks ahead.

ECLIPSE 1 1/2 weeks ahead.

Behind him (no name but I remember his name had Mountain in it???) is THISTLE and DOC NARLY

spittinpigeon
11-30-2006, 13:21
I've heard there were people way back there, I like knowing I'm not last. Does anyone know the location of Fisherman Tom (Fishy-T) or Mr. Natural and Buddha? Fishy-T was ahead, but stopped writing in registers, and I think Buddha and Natural may have taken more time off in Roanoke than I did, putting them behind me.

DawnTreader
11-30-2006, 13:51
Beater,
not heard from Buddah..
Where are you at right now? All is well I hope...
Dude

Supernova
12-06-2006, 01:06
I know it's a bit late but I'm just getting back on to the computer tonight. The 18th of November I saw the biggest group of sobos that I belive could ever exist south of harper's Ferry. There were 13 of us in the parking lot at USFS 42.

(sp?) Supernova, KIngfish, Goldbond, Boots, Kansas, DR. Rudder, Cats, Dorothy, Jimmy Legs, Link, Easyrider, Riels, Book

I'll post a pic up here somewhere.(Book will be missing cause he came in a bit late)

DawnTreader
12-06-2006, 01:09
SUPERNOVA!!
good to hear from you man.. It's The Dude. Can't thank you enough for the kind note you left for me and Shanghi in Gorham! Great to hear your still trucking.. We'll talk again!! REMEMBER MAINE!!
Peace
Dude

Cookerhiker
12-10-2006, 22:00
Sorry for my tardiness in posting this. I did a 2-day/1 night hike in Central Virginia last week. On Wednesday, Dec. 6, I met Super Dave hiking north. He would have spent that night at Punchbowl Shelter. He's a flipflopper of sorts (hiked first from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin, then started at Springer to hike north). He's from Indiana and is not the Super Dave who provides Trail Magic about 120 miles south of here nor is he the Super Dave who hiked the PCT last year.

Just a Hiker
12-10-2006, 22:57
I guess I am a SOBO...this has been the strangest thru-hike I have ever done. I started SOBO to DWG and then flipped and hiked from Springer to Kincora Hostel where I got really sick. I just got discharged from the VA Hospital in Johnson City, Tn and will continue NOBO to DWG. This years group of SOBO have been great and it was great to meet all the people mentioned above. Anyway, I'll be back on the trail Wednesday 12/13. Take Care All!!

Just Jim

firemountain
12-12-2006, 20:48
I am the hiker that gave information to fiddlehead at Eckerville shelter. Currently 20 miles south of Harpers Ferry and cruising right along. Eckerville is a heck of a shelter! electricity and everything!
Early Bird ME -> GA

Fannypack
12-16-2006, 11:24
I have enjoyed reading Marta's hike SOBO or SLoBO, as she calls her AT06 hike, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=163773 . Read most of it this morning... Sounds like she will be in the Smokies this weekend..... Email her: [email protected] , if u would like to be part of her hike... Snapshot, http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=196560 , is also hiking with her....

rafe
12-16-2006, 11:30
I'm rooting for Laces and Pi, if only because I was following them in the registers this summer through NY/NJ and northern PA. Never caught them or met them, though.

StarLyte
12-16-2006, 11:56
I'm rooting for Laces and Pi, if only because I was following them in the registers this summer through NY/NJ and northern PA. Never caught them or met them, though.

Yes they're out there.....sort of got stuck at Janet's (I love it) around Thanksgiving. Great couple! I posted a picture of them too.

StarLyte
12-16-2006, 11:58
I have enjoyed reading Marta's hike SOBO or SLoBO, as she calls her AT06 hike, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=163773 . Read most of it this morning... Sounds like she will be in the Smokies this weekend..... Email her: [email protected] , if u would like to be part of her hike... Snapshot, http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=196560 , is also hiking with her....

HEY FANNYPACK !

Yes.....I too am following Marta.....I am so proud of her.

spittinpigeon
12-17-2006, 19:26
Laces and Pi have to be long done by now (as most of the SOBOS are). I'm at Miss Janet's right now, and they were more than a month ahead of me.
My SOBO number at the ATC was 76. I was joking that that would be the number of zeros I would take. Sadly, I'm only around a dozen short of that.

Namaste
12-17-2006, 20:06
I've heard there were people way back there, I like knowing I'm not last. Does anyone know the location of Fisherman Tom (Fishy-T) or Mr. Natural and Buddha? Fishy-T was ahead, but stopped writing in registers, and I think Buddha and Natural may have taken more time off in Roanoke than I did, putting them behind me.

Do you know if Mr. Natural still had a dog with him? I think her name was Mocha. I shared some oreos with Natural in Saddlebacks during the summer. I'm glad to hear he's still out there.

spittinpigeon
12-17-2006, 21:17
Do you know if Mr. Natural still had a dog with him? I think her name was Mocha. I shared some oreos with Natural in Saddlebacks during the summer. I'm glad to hear he's still out there.
He didn't have the dog anymore, I don't know where he is anymore. Hopefully he's still out there.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2006, 03:28
I happen to know someone who has Natural's and Buddha's e-mail addresses. :) :) :) :)

warraghiyagey
12-18-2006, 03:32
So Beater, I think the more intriguing question is whatever became of Minutes?

DawnTreader
12-18-2006, 17:21
Hey Warraghiyagey, hook me up with Buddah's email adress!!!
Beater, have fun at Miss Janet's.. good luck with the rest of your hike...

Warraghiyagey, remember when we almost burnt down Shaw's??? oops...

spittinpigeon
12-18-2006, 17:33
Minutes and I hiked together until Bennington. He had broken his toe, and stayed at the Birdcage for about a week or so with Buddah, Natural, and Bandaloop.
When I got to the Doyle, Minutes came to visit from home, and a bunch of other people showed up. A lot of trouble ensued, and my reputation was tarnished at many places I showed up, including questioning by park rangers. It was a guilty by association kinda deal. Fun story though :)

warraghiyagey
12-18-2006, 23:19
. . . ummmm yeah Beater. Except that I caught your act in a few towns along the way. Entertaining as hell but the part about guilt by association. . . . . hmmm. I think your story is full of holes.:) :) :)

warraghiyagey
12-19-2006, 01:18
Shut up towelie, you're nothing but a goddam towel. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
You're a towel. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wanna get high?

murphyw
12-20-2006, 10:58
Since our names got mentioned, it should be said that Pi (me) and Laces finished up on 12/12. The last .9 from the road to Springer, we listed names of people we met along the way. There were more than we could say even doing that last mile as slowly as we did. Like that song Miss J played at Thanksgiving says, "the people are the trail."

Hope any SOBOs behind us are staying warm. Anyone from AT06 thinking PCT08 yet?

--Pi

mountain squid
12-20-2006, 11:31
:banana CONGRATULATIONS, Pi:sun !!!!! Glad to hear you and Laces made it!!!! And you're already planning for the PCT...

See you on the trail (again),
mt squid

rafe
12-20-2006, 12:59
Since our names got mentioned, it should be said that Pi (me) and Laces finished up on 12/12. The last .9 from the road to Springer, we listed names of people we met along the way. There were more than we could say even doing that last mile as slowly as we did. Like that song Miss J played at Thanksgiving says, "the people are the trail."

--Pi

Awesome!!!! Congratulations!! :banana I was chasing you thru NY/NJ and a bit beyond... about two days behind you. Enjoyed the register entries. Too bad I couldn't catch up, but you guys were movin.'

Lemur
12-20-2006, 18:34
Its Laces, checking in to say that yes indeed Pi and I finished up on the 12th. All of our dillydallying finally ended on the night of the 7th at Standing Indian shelter. It was really really cold and hence a motivator to get down to the end of the trail. Good luck to all Sobos still out there. ANd to those who've wieghed in on this thread, its great to see you pop up again.
-Laces

spittinpigeon
12-20-2006, 18:49
. . . ummmm yeah Beater. Except that I caught your act in a few towns along the way. Entertaining as hell but the part about guilt by association. . . . . hmmm. I think your story is full of holes.:) :) :)
Hey, for the record, I wasn't among those sleeping in the hallway and puking in the garbage can.:o

spittinpigeon
12-20-2006, 18:52

--Pi

Actually Pi, yes I (Beater) have been thinking about it. Especially after reading the entire Yogi's pct book at Kincora.
And since there's a limited window for the PCT, maybe I could keep up with you, seeing that consistent miles seem to be mandatory to avoid nasty weather.

warraghiyagey
12-20-2006, 18:57
Congratulations Pi and Laces. Pi, I met you at Katahdin Peak so it's nice to hear that you and Laces finished. I kept track of your register entries through Dalton, where I left the trail. You're actually in one of my Katahdin pictures - sitting behind th sign if you'd like a copy.
Heading back out this June 1st from Katahdin - headed toward Springer - just happy to be on the trail.
Good luck to both of you.

warraghiyagey
12-20-2006, 19:01
Hey, for the record, I wasn't among those sleeping in the hallway and puking in the garbage can.:o

Wasn't it peeing in the hallway and sleeping in the garbage can? Or was that Minutes?

spittinpigeon
12-20-2006, 19:08
Wasn't it peeing in the hallway and sleeping in the garbage can? Or was that Minutes?
No, I only pee in the shower, and I only cry on the privy.

warraghiyagey
12-20-2006, 19:18
No, I only pee in the shower, and I only cry on the privy.

That's just shameful, you wouldn't see Chuck Norris crying on the privy would you? :confused:
Did I congratulate you on your hike yet? PM me.

Marta
12-23-2006, 15:50
Since our names got mentioned, it should be said that Pi (me) and Laces finished up on 12/12.

--Pi

Congratulations!

I've been staying warm enough so far. I'll see how it goes after the Christmas break, when I do the Fontana-Springer bit.

Endos (the hiker formerly known as Snapshot) is thinking of doing the PCT in '08.

Marta
12-23-2006, 15:53
HEY FANNYPACK !

Yes.....I too am following Marta.....I am so proud of her.

Thanks! I've been having a good time with it, except when the PocketMail acts up and loses the stuff I just spent an hour or more composing. Grrrrr.

SuperDave06
12-27-2006, 08:35
I've passed most of the SOBO's on the southern half of my NOBO flip-flop thru hike. I started in Springer on 10/18 and finished in Harper's Ferry on 12/22. If anyone is still trying to figure out where specific SOBO's are, just let me know who and I'll tell you where I last saw them. Lots of awesome people still on the trail.

SuperDave

stumpknocker
12-27-2006, 09:02
I've passed most of the SOBO's on the southern half of my NOBO flip-flop thru hike. I started in Springer on 10/18 and finished in Harper's Ferry on 12/22. If anyone is still trying to figure out where specific SOBO's are, just let me know who and I'll tell you where I last saw them. Lots of awesome people still on the trail.

SuperDave

I guess that means you finished???....Congratulations!!! :)

grizzlyadam
01-12-2007, 01:03
i was out hiking for a few days in georgia this past week and ran into two sobo's yesterday a mile or so south of dick's creek gap- mark and twain. they're a husband and wife team (i'd say in their sixties) who started south on august 1st and are hoping to finish this coming sunday or monday. really nice folks and a real pleasure to chat with.

if anyone is around sunday or monday, you should head out and welcome them to springer....

Furlough
01-12-2007, 07:12
I saw on trail journals that Five Leaf Clover finished her SOBO (or as she refered to it a time or two her SLOBO) yesterday. Three Cheers and Congrats to her.

Furlough

Jaybird
01-12-2007, 07:25
Does anyone know the whereabouts on the 06 SOBO's?

hopefully @ home in bed...recuperating!:D

Marta
01-12-2007, 10:23
Mark 'N Twain should finish this weekend. Beater and Fishy T should be at the SoRuck this weekend, and will finish in a couple of weeks. I made it to Springer yesterday at 3:30.

Jaybird
01-12-2007, 10:47
Mark 'N Twain should finish this weekend. Beater and Fishy T should be at the SoRuck this weekend, and will finish in a couple of weeks. I made it to Springer yesterday at 3:30.

WOW...did u get a LATE start or take 7 months by stopping @ every trail town for a party?:D

Marta
01-12-2007, 11:43
WOW...did u get a LATE start or take 7 months by stopping @ every trail town for a party?:D

I'm just old and slow.

Beater and Fishy T started before me, and they're young. I don't think they missed many parties along the way...and are proud of it.:cool:

spittinpigeon
01-19-2007, 12:33
I'm just old and slow.

Beater and Fishy T started before me, and they're young. I don't think they missed many parties along the way...and are proud of it.:cool:

Indeed.
We hitched over to Robbinsville (is there a reason why Robbinsville isn't in the companion?) yesterday due to my achilles still hurting. The three or four days off at the Ruck didn't help, so I'm looking at a week off now. My choices are hitching over to the NOC for a cheap week off, or I may try to get up to the PA Ruck, followed by Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day. (A party doesn't have to be 'along the way' to make it into my itinerary.);)
If the swelling and pain persist, I may have to head home for a month or so. I'm at around 80 zeros, what's 30 more?

Marta
01-19-2007, 13:02
Howdy, pardner! Sorry to hear about the achilles problem.

spittinpigeon
01-19-2007, 13:18
Howdy, pardner! Sorry to hear about the achilles problem.
Thanks, it's got me bummed. Being so close and having to swallow my pride and not hike sucks. But to avoid permanent injury, I can't be stupid and hike on it.

Ewker
01-19-2007, 13:19

they made it quicker than you have :eek: ;) :D

mweinstone
01-19-2007, 19:34
you frickin a hole! beater you listen to matthewski right now. get your ass on the trail and think about what you did to your feet that ruggy night at noc that i allready freaked out at you about. man i cant beleive youve thrown your hiking out the window. your feet were perfectly on their way to a quick heal when you thaughtlessly abused both your feet and the rug. damm you man! get on trail and limp and bleed and suffer and think about your sillyness. dont come back if you go home. your hike hates you right now and your playing head games cause of outside influences. listen beater. im your only friend thats gonna set you straight. this is the crux,... your in no place to think or stay at pricy noc. you have left yourself with walking in pain. now get to it as its a far better thing than what you have in mind. man! i am so pissed.back! now! to the trail! fool!!!!!!!

spittinpigeon
01-19-2007, 20:58
you frickin a hole! beater you listen to matthewski right now. get your ass on the trail and think about what you did to your feet that ruggy night at noc that i allready freaked out at you about. man i cant beleive youve thrown your hiking out the window. your feet were perfectly on their way to a quick heal when you thaughtlessly abused both your feet and the rug. damm you man! get on trail and limp and bleed and suffer and think about your sillyness. dont come back if you go home. your hike hates you right now and your playing head games cause of outside influences. listen beater. im your only friend thats gonna set you straight. this is the crux,... your in no place to think or stay at pricy noc. you have left yourself with walking in pain. now get to it as its a far better thing than what you have in mind. man! i am so pissed.back! now! to the trail! fool!!!!!!!

lol,
Don't worry dude, finishing the trail is my first priority. But seriously, the achilles tendon is a serious deal, and screwing it now could threaten future thru-hikes. I'm giving it a week off, if it's better, I hike, if not, I give it a month or two.
Hopefully I'll see you at the PA ruck. ;)

TOW
01-20-2007, 09:04
I don't know who he was because I can't remember his trail name but I met another Southbounder here in Damascus yesterday. He's 5'7", about 160, med-light brown hair and beard and wire rimmed glasses..........

RSWillis
01-20-2007, 10:08
Sorry to hear about the Achilles man, I hope it will heal so you can finish. After all this time on the trail don't let this take you down.
Best of Luck, and say hi to fishy T for me
Coppertop

Jan LiteShoe
01-20-2007, 10:16

Marta's a strong hiker Jaybird, and where does the idea come from that 7 months is a slow hike?
My hike lasted 6 months and 18 days, and I wish it were a full 7...
:)

Marta
01-20-2007, 11:40
My hike lasted 6 months and 18 days, and I wish it were a full 7...
:)

You're very kind to stick up for me. I didn't want to quibble about the fact that he called my 6-months-and-8-day hike "seven months" and "slow." Compared to most of the SOBO whippersnappers (the ones who actually finished, that is) I was somewhat slow.

Miss Janet said it best (as she so often does): "I've never heard a hiker say they wished they'd done the Trail faster."

TOW
01-22-2007, 18:17
Iceman and Tundra Wookie are sitting here in the damascus library as I type this. They plan on making Springer between the 22nd and 24th of February. They began hiking south on September 7th, 2006.

khaynie
01-22-2007, 18:40
Iceman and Tundra Wookie are sitting here in the damascus library as I type this. They plan on making Springer between the 22nd and 24th of February. They began hiking south on September 7th, 2006.

I've been following these guys through their website. If you want, you can check out by clicking here (http://atwishhikers.com/). They've got some great pictures and their journal is very easy to read ~ one of the better SOBO journals I've seen this year, imo.

KG4FAM
01-22-2007, 19:56
So, anybody seen these folks?

Whisper - ~30 years old, from NC, was a tow truck driver

Combat- ~25 years old, from TX, worked construction, 1/2mexican 1/2indian, long pony tail, carried a combat knife.

Allison AKA Alpaca Superstar(not an offical trail name) - early 30s from Atlanta, was a school teacher

Fannypack
01-22-2007, 20:09

Combat- ~25 years old, from TX, worked construction, 1/2mexican 1/2indian, long pony tail, carried a combat knife.

Allison AKA Alpaca Superstar(not an offical trail name) - early 30s from Atlanta, was a school teacher
Superstar was at the SoRuck, I believe this is her: http://photoserver.facilities.wfu.edu/hiking/ruckpix/content/soruck0259_large.html
see journal here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=164742

Marta
01-22-2007, 20:24

I never met Whisper.

I heard that Combat got off the Trail because of foot problems, but do not know this for sure. I met him on my second pass through Goreham, NH, but he never caught up with me after that.

Superstar went home from Harpers Ferry and is back at work now. She is planning to finish up on weekends and during vacations. Yes, she was at the SoRuck.

TOW
01-23-2007, 11:39
I've been following these guys through their website. If you want, you can check out by clicking here (http://atwishhikers.com/). They've got some great pictures and their journal is very easy to read ~ one of the better SOBO journals I've seen this year, imo.
they seemed like a couple of cool cats..................

spittinpigeon
01-23-2007, 16:16

I met Whisper at the hemlock grove shelter in Mass, he was talking about hopping off the trail.

spittinpigeon
01-23-2007, 16:17
I don't know who he was because I can't remember his trail name but I met another Southbounder here in Damascus yesterday. He's 5'7", about 160, med-light brown hair and beard and wire rimmed glasses..........

I think Easy Feelin' is around that area now.

Marta
01-23-2007, 16:30
How're you doing, Beater? Injury healing?

spittinpigeon
01-24-2007, 13:01
How're you doing, Beater? Injury healing?

It's feeling good. I've been off the trail for a few days, and probably a few more to come. Fishy-T and I split up, I've been hanging around Asheville and Boone NC. Going skiing today! :)

TOW
01-31-2007, 18:19
I think Easy Feelin' is around that area now.
Easy Feeling is here in Damascus now, has been around for a day or two. Don't think he's gonna head out tomorrow, we got a storm coming in...

Fannypack
01-31-2007, 18:53
Easy Feeling is here in Damascus now, has been around for a day or two. Don't think he's gonna head out tomorrow, we got a storm coming in...
someone, maybe Willy should offer to slack Easy Feeling back into town from TN91, nice 20+ day. Get out early & enjoy the snowy day.

TOW, if u see Gecko or LW at Dots tonite, ask them if they would be interested in taking him out.

Have a great snowy day there tomorrow.
-Dave

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 19:20
someone, maybe Willy should offer to slack Easy Feeling back into town from TN91, nice 20+ day. Get out early & enjoy the snowy day.

TOW, if u see Gecko or LW at Dots tonite, ask them if they would be interested in taking him out.

Have a great snowy day there tomorrow.
-Dave

got your pm fannypack. just talked to him at dot's he ain't in no real hurry. but i'll see him in the a.m. and offer. btw, willy is in fla.

A-Train
01-31-2007, 19:40
Spent the night with Tundra Wookie and Iceman at Miss Janets last night. Great guys. They got whisked away by a friend to Savannah GA, and will be back to Erwin in a few days.

Hiked sobo today from Indian Grave Gap to Erwin and didn't run into anyone, and no one had recently signed into Curley Maple.

Fannypack
01-31-2007, 19:45
got your pm fannypack. just talked to him at dot's he ain't in no real hurry. but i'll see him in the a.m. and offer. btw, willy is in fla.
Just thought he might want to make it to Dennis Cove Rd for SuperBowl... he could arrive there Sat nite & take Sunday off.

Does Kincora have a TV that the hikers can watch?

How about Laurel Fork Lodge, http://www.laurelforklodge.com? Are they even open now for hikers?

Of course, he may not be interested in the SuperBowl.

Finally, he could slack back to Damascus from US321 or Dennis Cove Rd and then enjoy being in Damascus again for Sunday.

LW, enjoy, u should go up to Grayson & do some snowshoeing on Friday or on the Creeper if y'all get enuff.

Enjoy.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 19:48
Just thought he might want to make it to Dennis Cove Rd for SuperBowl... he could arrive there Sat nite & take Sunday off.

Does Kincora have a TV that the hikers can watch?

How about Laurel Fork Lodge, http://www.laurelforklodge.com? Are they even open now for hikers?

Of course, he may not be interested in the SuperBowl.

Finally, he could slack back to Damascus from US321 or Dennis Cove Rd and then enjoy being in Damascus again for Sunday.

LW, enjoy, u should go up to Grayson & do some snowshoeing on Friday or on the Creeper if y'all get enuff.

Enjoy.

i take a run daily on the creeper sun, rain, sleet or snow

Jack Tarlin
01-31-2007, 20:18
Don't plan on watching a ball game at Kincora.

There has never been a television there.

Don't know about Laurel Creek, but you might think about the Braemar Castle hostel in Hampton (it's on Dennis Cove Rd) which almost certainly has a TV.

And there's a good sports bar in Johnson City; we watched the Sox obliterate the Yankees there back in '04 and almost got killed by some redneck New York fans. Great place, tho, ask Janet about it.

fishyt
02-01-2007, 13:17
I'm in Josh and Leigh Saint's hostel right now. Once this snow clears up i should finish...

P.S. i didn't finish for thanksgiving or christmas, but darn it, I'm gonna finish for the Super Bowl!

Marta
02-01-2007, 14:09
Hey, FishyT! Congratulations!

Please say hi to Josh and Leigh from me, too.

Cheers!
Five-Leaf

mountain squid
02-03-2007, 18:07
I certainly didn't expect to see a SOBO today. However, after a short day hike from Iron Mountain Gap to Cherry Gap Shelter (in TN), I saw "Combat" back at Iron Mt Gap. He said there was another guy (Jaybird, I think) just ahead that I missed. It was in the high 20s, very windy with several inches of snow on the ground. The sun :sun was shining though...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

StarLyte
02-03-2007, 18:14
I certainly didn't expect to see a SOBO today. However, after a short day hike from Iron Mountain Gap to Cherry Gap Shelter (in TN), I saw "Combat" back at Iron Mt Gap. He said there was another guy (Jaybird, I think) just ahead that I missed. It was in the high 20s, very windy with several inches of snow on the ground. The sun :sun was shining though...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I don't recall Combat, but I do know Jaybird. Met him at Blackburn. He is very nice gentleman. He helped Weathercarrot with stone work there. Here's a few photos.....pic 1 (http://gallery.backcountry.net/album71/HPIM6024), pic 2 (http://gallery.backcountry.net/album71/HPIM6020).

I love it when the sun shines on a snowy day.

Marta
02-03-2007, 19:45
Combat!!!! I met him in Goreham, NH. I had been told he left the trail. That's terrific if he's still out there.

Marta/Five-Leafed Clover

StarLyte
02-03-2007, 20:28
Marta I bet you know all the sobo'ers, and I keep up with a lot. Have you noticed that sobo'ers are a unique breed? :sun

It was so cool seeing you walk into Janet's on Thanksgiving Day during your thru. Then it felt like everything was just perfect.

I'm glad you're around these parts.

Marta
02-04-2007, 00:25
I can't say I know them all. Far from it. Quite a few started ahead of me and I never caught up with them. One or two, like Frosty, started behind me and passed me while I had my head turned, or something, so we never met. It's weird how that happens.

SOBOs are a unique breed--a rare breed, for one thing. But enough self-congratulation...

We need to get out and do some hiking together one of these fine days!

Marta
02-11-2007, 22:33
I saw Combat in Erwin this weekend. He's had quite a trip. The ice storm in the Shenandoahs, snow, some pretty cold weather...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Fannypack
02-15-2007, 18:16
on feb 13, 2007 in the journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166903
it says:
"Early Bird left early to finish the final day of his SOBO hike."

So it appears EarlyBird finished on Feb 13....

Fannypack
02-16-2007, 11:32
Gray Spainhour (Easy Feelin')'s journal update Feb 15, 2007:
"I'm getting ready to get back on the trail today...so more journals should be coming soon."
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=166924

Btw, I have been using this url on TJ to get the journals updated on the date=021507 (or whatever date):
http://www.trailjournals.com/linked_entry.cfm?date=021507

TOW
05-14-2007, 15:14
Tyvek stayed with me this past weekend and headed south this morning......

TOW
05-23-2007, 12:16
Tyvek came back and stayed the weekend and then took his friend penny with him back to Kincorra and continued his journey south. Rambo Ron left yesterday after enjoying Trail Days for the last week heading south. Another southbounder that started last year is here in town as well by the name of Colorado.......