PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2007 - volunteer workdays

Local
09-12-2006, 20:36
Around the end of March or the beginning of April we will schedule several volunteer workdays to upgrade the campground for Trail Days 2007, which will be held May 18, 19, and 20. Some of the things we want to do include clearing out a much larger area up and down the creek so that poison ivy will not be a factor, and more camping space will be available. We also want to provide a creek crossing and set up a "quiet" campground far away from the drum circle.

Announcements will appear on http://www.traildays.info/ during the coming months.

We've also started reviewing the recommendations which came primarily from whiteblaze.net - http://www.traildays.info/nextyear.html - and the first decision has been to change the time of the hiker talent show until after the parade (thanks, Ms. Janet, for first mentioning this). We'll be working on your other recommendations. Some are doable, some are not.

We will have at least seven through-hikers on the Trail Days committee this year.

Miss Janet
09-16-2006, 19:23
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start a discussion about a Pre Trail Days work day in Damascus? A Whiteblaze "Hardcore" type effort. It would give a lot of people here on Whiteblaze a chance to really help out if they wanted to.
While it isn't exactly trailwork it would go a long way in showing the people of Damascus that the hiker community cares about Trail Days.

SGT Rock
09-17-2006, 01:18
It would be. I just don't know how many hikers are available prior too the event. I would bump this up regularly.

I would love to come up to Damascus in March with my family and do some work and hang around a couple of days but I don't know my schedule for that this far out yet.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-17-2006, 06:11
Perhaps a ruck could be scheduled in the Damascus area with a Billville-style theme -- a labor of love for the current year's hikers' benefit. While TrailDays is a combination city festive, humongous reunion, and trade show; the impromptu city of Billville regularly schedules its own events to benefit the year's hikers.

StarLyte
09-17-2006, 08:34
Perhaps a ruck could be scheduled in the Damascus area with a Billville-style theme -- a labor of love for the current year's hikers' benefit. While TrailDays is a combination city festive, humongous reunion, and trade show; the impromptu city of Billville regularly schedules its own events to benefit the year's hikers.

Talk about opening a LARGE can of worms.....

I'm for all of it....count me in......

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 09:17
Town workers and county prisoners prep the campground a couple of weeks before Trail Days every year. There's really no need for a "Hardcore" type effort. The main thing is the cleanup AFTER Trail Days which seems to take care of itself.

Local
09-18-2006, 13:46
This year will be different. There is an unused area across the creek we want to clear out to be used by campers, a bridge to be temporarily constructed, and a very large area along the creek to be cleared of poison ivy. We want to put up a large bulletin board, make the fire circle higher so that it isn't a mudhole, and if possible trench some of the camping areas that became swamps.

Concerning inmate labor, last year a regional jail opened and the process for getting prisoners to work outside became more complicated, and we did not have that resource available. I'm not sure about this year, but of course we'll try.

Since some people come into the campground early, before it is officially opened, we may just open it up a week early and anyone staying will be asked to volunteer a few hours a day to help get the place ready.

Trail Days remains an almost totally volunteer event. We have only three town workers for maintenance-construction work, but about fifteen of us, at last count, who volunteer our time. There's a meeting tonight (Sept. 18) and I'll bring up the ideas mentioned here about possible work crews.

Wolf, I think you, Larry and I should volunteer to build a bridge over the creek. It just has to hold up for a few days.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 14:22
You need permits and inspections to build over rivers and such. And what about liability? What if someone gets hurt doing construction on town property?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 14:25
Who, specifically is giving permission to build bridges and clear land?

Local
09-18-2006, 18:07
The property is owned by the town, so the town would give permission. It is a town project. There are old permits for a bridge, but probably have expired. You can see the proposed bridge plans at town hall, but that's for the future and grant money. We're just talking about a way to get across a shallow creek. Maybe we'll leave a bunch of holey shoes on one side to be worn across, hoping the wearer will bring them back. Ain't nothing fancy here. Just looking for a way to cross a shallow creek and use some good campsites on the other side. A bunch of us will probably just do it, but not officially, maybe some stealth bridge-building. I used to build ropes courses and zip lines and this ain't no big thing.... uh, I mean this is not a large matter. The creek is only a few feet wide in places.

Lone Wolf
09-18-2006, 18:13
Hikers know how to ford a shallow stream. No bridge needed.

Lugnut
09-18-2006, 21:31
To paraphrase Robert Kennedy: "Some men see things as they are and ask why, while others see things that never were and ask why not". Or you could just wade like Wolf says. :rolleyes:

Newb
09-19-2006, 07:33
Since some people come into the campground early, before it is officially opened, we may just open it up a week early and anyone staying will be asked to volunteer a few hours a day to help get the place ready.

I really like/support that idea. I arrived early this year and felt like a criminal for trying to pitch a tent. It would have been nice if I could have pre-ordered a vehicle/camping pass so that I wasnt' hassled every 10 minutes. I would gladly trade some labor for that privilege.

Local
09-19-2006, 08:30
NewB, we're trying to remove the hassles that have taken place in the past, and will definitely open the campground early for volunteers. Contact me before arriving (grsmith07 AT earthlink.net) or just show up and ask for me (Richard) or Wade or Debbie.

Last night we had our second Trail Days meeting. Eleven volunteers attended, and of course we hope to get more as time goes on. Several through-hikers have assured us of their participation.

Below is a list of the specific types of volunteer help we need. Trail Days is almost entirely a volunteer effort. It doesn't just happen automatically, and we could really use some help in some areas.

Specific volunteer activities needed:

Campground: clearing underbrush for new campsites; expanding the parking area; creating a "quiet" camping area on the other side of Beaverdam Creek or upstream from the drum circle; trenching areas which do not drain and become swampy after rains; building a large bulletin board, more. There will be a workday late March or early, and it is possible the campground will open a week early to provide free camping for volunteers.

Vendor area at the gazebo in the town park: Marking out vendor area Wednesday or Thursday prior to Trail Days; assisting Thursday and Friday with vendor placement and anything needed such as electricity, water, tie-downs, etc.

Entertainment committee: assistance with identifying bands suitable for Trail Days; assistance with finding sponsors for bands that charge more than the limited Trail Days budget will allow; assistance during Trail Days in band setup.

Program committee: one or two volunteers are needed to be members of the program committee. They should have a good knowledge of the types of presentations most suited to a Trail Days audience of hikers, and have contacts with new and younger presenters who would like to make a presentation. Assistance on-site will be needed in helping the presenters set up with any equipment needed, in introducing the presenters, and in moderating any discussions after the presentations.

Public relations: volunteers are needed who have good media knowledge and contacts, specifically in the Appalachian Trail hiking community and any related publications and websites.

Cleanup: Last year four (4) volunteers stayed around to help clean up the campground. More are needed.

Information related to the upcoming Trail Days can be found on the town's website,
http://www.traildays.info/

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:00
We will have at least seven through-hikers on the Trail Days committee this year.

Local, just for the record and especially those "Thru-Hikers" who are on the committee who take great pride in being a "Thru-Hiker" and who "may or may not" look down on those who have never "Thru-Hiked" "yet," I am not a "Thru-Hiker".

I have been up and down and all around this trail and I take great pride in just being who I am as a hiker and look forward to offering my services to the Trail Day's committee.

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:02
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start a discussion about a Pre Trail Days work day in Damascus? A Whiteblaze "Hardcore" type effort. It would give a lot of people here on Whiteblaze a chance to really help out if they wanted to.
While it isn't exactly trailwork it would go a long way in showing the people of Damascus that the hiker community cares about Trail Days.
I second that..............yes let's get involved, it is the right thing to do and we'll have a great time working together and getting to know each other.

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:05
It would be. I just don't know how many hikers are available prior too the event. I would bump this up regularly.

I would love to come up to Damascus in March with my family and do some work and hang around a couple of days but I don't know my schedule for that this far out yet.

I'll call buddy at the Pentagon and threaten to come up there and whoop his butt in a game of hearts again if he does not arrainge for you to be home permanently by then, or at least semi-permanently...........

Local
09-19-2006, 09:06
Of course. That's why I personally asked you to help.

I believe through-hikers have a unique perspective because they have experienced the entire AT, and the real name for Trail Days is "Appalachian Trail Days." But if you can handle a shovel and are willing to work, we don't care if your total trail experience is walking out the door of Sicily's and crossing the AT on the way to your car parked about fifteen feet away.

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:09
Town workers and county prisoners prep the campground a couple of weeks before Trail Days every year. There's really no need for a "Hardcore" type effort. The main thing is the cleanup AFTER Trail Days which seems to take care of itself.

I think it would be of great service if we were to organize our own little pre-TD's thing to do just to pick up the pieces where we are needed. Just to be a part of the plan in getting the thing started. I also think it would be worthy that we take a section and clean it up after TD's just to lighten the load on those who are in charge of that deed.

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:16
This year will be different. There is an unused area across the creek we want to clear out to be used by campers, a bridge to be temporarily constructed, and a very large area along the creek to be cleared of poison ivy. We want to put up a large bulletin board, make the fire circle higher so that it isn't a mudhole, and if possible trench some of the camping areas that became swamps.

Wolf, I think you, Larry and I should volunteer to build a bridge over the creek. It just has to hold up for a few days.

I don't know about the bridge, but I think that we should get in there right now and spray that ivy down to kill it. wouldn't it be easier to clean up then. I don't know much about Poison Ivy other than I am highly allergic of it. I just got off of Prednisone three weeks ago because of it. I will not purposely put myself in the middle of it.

Perhaps we could kill it and burn it out this winter?

TOW
09-19-2006, 09:28
Of course. That's why I personally asked you to help.

I believe through-hikers have a unique perspective because they have experienced the entire AT, and the real name for Trail Days is "Appalachian Trail Days." But if you can handle a shovel and are willing to work, we don't care if your total trail experience is walking out the door of Sicily's and crossing the AT on the way to your car parked about fifteen feet away.

Well I have certainly "Thru-Hiked" the entire width of the AT several times. In fact I just finished doing this before I sat down at this terminal. It was a very rough and wet hike I tell ya, I just about slipped and fell again but my belly saved me this time. You see us fat fellas learn the art very early when fat starts appearing in places that fat never has been before to let the fat counter act the fall.

I think a few more of you hikers need a little around your mid-sections so you too can be saved from any serious injury in the future.............:D

Local
09-20-2006, 14:54
I don't know about the bridge, but I think that we should get in there right now and spray that ivy down to kill it. wouldn't it be easier to clean up then. I don't know much about Poison Ivy other than I am highly allergic of it. I just got off of Prednisone three weeks ago because of it. I will not purposely put myself in the middle of it.

Perhaps we could kill it and burn it out this winter?
My friend, you never want to stand in the smoke from burning poison ivy. Horror stories abound. A bunch of us are going to go into the area in mid-winter and clear out as much as we can. There is plenty of work out there for all of us, so you might want to concentrate on the other stuff, trenching, building a bulletin board for campers, etc.

TOW
09-20-2006, 17:02
I am going to have so much fun being a part of this, and if I don't I'll just fake it...........................I like you Local!