PDA

View Full Version : Hanging AT Map

Tin Man
09-12-2006, 21:33
Has anyone (besides me) laminated the 4 foot National Park Service Map of the AT, mounted it on cork-board, hung it on the wall, and marked progress of their section hikes with color pins?

1Pint
09-12-2006, 21:40
No, but I've hung one at work on the wall that I'm facing during most of the day and another at home on the closet door across from my bed so it's the last thing I see at night before the light goes out.

I use these two for a reminder that I only have 6 little months until I can start my thru attempt. It's also nice for my coworkers/friends who are trying to understand my upcoming adventure. When they see the AT stretching and stretching and stretching they start talking about sending me cookies or joining me for a day somewhere along the way. Very cool.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-12-2006, 21:58
The male dino made a frame for our 4 ft map. I'm looking at it now.

MedicineMan
09-12-2006, 21:58
its like a long black snake slowly crawling north in black magic marker....this is the laminated via Kynkos map, its pin onto the frame of the unmarked laminated map that is untouch, so a working map on top of a non working map...

Hikes in Rain
09-13-2006, 08:10
Mine was framed by my father-in-law, and I use arrows cut from Post-it Notes to mark the section hikes I've completed. Hanging in my library.

Tabasco
09-13-2006, 08:36
I have it on my office wall, plus on my computer I have a mapping program with the centerline of the trail plotted and push pins with the shelter locations. Different color push pins for sleep nights and lunch stops.

StarLyte
09-13-2006, 08:44
It hangs on my AT wall with many different colored felt tipped tracings. I have yet to color in New England.

jaywalke
09-13-2006, 08:49
http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=219&compid=1

I have this one on my wall.

Greywolf
09-13-2006, 13:07
My Sister and Brother-in-law were my support team. When I came home they framed it with glass, and had hand noted a circled with a date each time I contacted them. This way you can read all the information around it. So.... I have a nice history of my hike. I shows where I went fast, where I got stuck and where I went slow. Of course it is dated beginning and end. I really do look at it all the time even after 10 years.

Footslogger
09-13-2006, 13:17
Has anyone (besides me) laminated the 4 foot National Park Service Map of the AT, mounted it on cork-board, hung it on the wall, and marked progress of their section hikes with color pins?
==========================================

Sure did. Mounted it on gelboard and even built a frame for it. Used it to track my wife's progress/location in 2001 and then in turn she used it for my thru in 2003. It hangs on the wall in our dining room now with both push pins located at Katahdin.

'Slogger

MDSHiker
09-13-2006, 13:40
I have the 4ft map laminated and hanging on the wall in my office at work.

Wonder
09-13-2006, 13:55
First and last thing that I look at everyday.........

Grampie
09-13-2006, 15:09
While I was thru-hiking my wife had one hanging in the kitchen. She would mark my progress whenever I called. I normally call every 5-8 days. Now I have the map with the dates and where I was. It's a nice reminder, to go along with all my other things to remember my hike by.:sun

Lilred
09-13-2006, 15:13
Don't have it laminated, but it hangs in my classroom. I have marked in red magic marker the first 500 miles. I think I'll use a different color marker for each section.

dirtnap
09-13-2006, 15:52
I take my laminated 4-foot AT map and suspend it a foot in front of my face, via a stick tied to my head. High enough to keep my neck straight. I then stare, cross-eyed at the map while hiking the AT. I focus on my exact location on the map until I can literaly see my progress.

This leaves my peripheral vision to deal with the terrain and whatnot. This works out well since peripheral vision is more efficient than focused vision.

Every now and then I stop and sit down. I use a magic marker to place a dot on the map, recording my progress.

I like to watch the ink dry. I imagine it is a small freshwater lake which is the only source of water for a nearby village.

As the lake dries up, people get more and more desperate. Soon there are water riots and carnage ensues. . .

One time there was a fire and everybody died.

-dirtnap

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 15:54
I've actually got a very pretty one that's about four feet across and ten feet long. It used to hang on the wall at the old Dartmouth Co-op in Hanover; I got it cheap when the place closed.

Now all I need is a house to hang it up in.

Tabasco
09-13-2006, 16:04
Send it to me Jack. I'll take good care of it and grant you full visitation rights too.

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2006, 16:07
I actually thought of donating it to the A.T. Museum, but that might have to wait awhile. I really wanna see it hanging over my mantle at some point, if I ever stop travelling and settle down in a place that acually has a mantle. Which also might take awhile.

Deerleg
09-13-2006, 16:30
Yep. About 600 miles down and forever to go. Pins from the Whites to Springer and multi-colored markers with lots of gaps. Shot gun Approch:D

Cuffs
09-13-2006, 16:35
And to think I almost bought this very map you all speak of, but decided against it because it might have been just too much and put me over the top! Guess I need to rethink this situation and go get one. ASAP!!!

Peaks
09-14-2006, 17:01
Well, I've got two:

A mounted version hangs a wall in our house.

Another one is glued to a large poster board. It is surrounded by post cards of scenes along the AT.

maelstrom
09-14-2006, 20:38
Anyone have a link to the 4 foot map?

Tin Man
09-14-2006, 20:52
Anyone have a link to the 4 foot map?

Jaywalke provided this on post #8: http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?atcmem=1&itemid=219&compid=1

maelstrom
09-14-2006, 22:52
Jaywalke provided this on post #8: http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?atcmem=1&itemid=219&compid=1

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that. :confused:

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 04:54
I've got the map that has been professionally framed. I plan to have it set up so my wife can track me on it during my thru-hike.

DGrav
09-15-2006, 10:57
I have the would mounted one from the ATC hanging up in the living room at home and an unframed poster in my office right behind my monitor.

I may be moving to a new office soon and I am considering haning the map at an angle so that north points straight up. This will may reduce some confussion of coworkers as they stare and try to figure out what it is a map of.

Big Dawg
09-16-2006, 09:17
I have the 4' map drymounted and hung on the wall. I just have an arrow shaped post-it pointing to my last trip's end point.

I'm also going to buy the "raised relief" map of the AT from Hubbard Scientific. A rep from that company says an AT raised relief map should be out by 11/06,,,,, can't wait!!

Kerosene
09-19-2006, 11:15
I have the thin vertical strip map hung in my office at work, but I haven't defaced it with my wanderings. It's a good conversation starter, and it's pretty easy to say that I've done everything except NC, TN, and ME (actually I have to do 80 miles of southern VA and 30 miles of NH, but they don't need to know that!).

Cuffs
09-19-2006, 11:43
Does everyone hang theirs so the sides are straight or does anyone hang it so that it is geographically correct (on a slant)?

MOWGLI
09-19-2006, 11:52
My Mother had the AT strip map framed and mounted (professionally). She gave it to me for Xmas after I completed the trail. I have it hanging in my office. It's a nice memento.

Tin Man
09-19-2006, 23:00
Does everyone hang theirs so the sides are straight or does anyone hang it so that it is geographically correct (on a slant)?

I hang mine vertically and look at it on a slant. Wish there was a geographically correct version that could be hung straight up and down.

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 23:09
For Christmas, my mom suprised me with a beautifully framed AT map. It is a dark, hard wood, knotted frame and it looks amazing.

Also the map has little markers that denote stops where I called home and checked in. I didn't realize they were keeping track as I was hiking so it is very cool to see.

The map hangs proudly in my office and every single person that has seen the map has commented on it, and asked me about my hike and the trail.

Ill take a picture of it tomorrow.

RITBlake
09-19-2006, 23:10
My Mother had the AT strip map framed and mounted (professionally). She gave it to me for Xmas after I completed the trail. I have it hanging in my office. It's a nice memento.

Hey we wrote the same thing. :-?:)