PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Pad Extender -- Which Size?

JoeHiker
09-13-2006, 10:53
I've been thinking about picking up one of those Speer SPEs but I'm not sure which size to buy. Those of you who use them, which size do you use and how do you like it.Also, anyone out there tried the SPE and found they did NOT like it?

FanaticFringer
09-13-2006, 15:53
I got one. If your a "Wide Body" you might want to get the 8 wings.
Mine works great. The only time it did'nt work well was when I used a 1/8 inch Gossamer pad. It was so thin that it provided no support in the SPE and it would not lay flat in the hammock.

Just Jeff
09-13-2006, 16:30
I made one of the small sizes. I'm 5'10" and 185lbs and it worked fine for me on my back. If I lay on my side I have to make sure I'm right in the middle or my butt/knees touches the hammock. A little adjustment makes it ok...not a big deal.

highway
09-28-2006, 07:22
Those that have used the SPE, which thickness CCF did you cut to insert inside the 5" width panel pockets?
How did the little velcro tabs work out?

I have one but have to wait for some cold weather to set it up & use it

PKH
09-28-2006, 07:39
I have been happy with the four wings. I use a 3/4 length Prolite 3, and this works well in spring and fall conditions

Cheers,

PKH

highway
09-28-2006, 08:48
and what did you insert into the wings? how thick? how successful?

MOWGLI
09-28-2006, 08:50

Clothes, thin styrofoam pads. I trialed the product when it was under development. Works well.

PKH
09-28-2006, 09:16

I used the 1/2 inch ccf inserts supplied, and this works well for me. Any clothes I have to spare go into my pillow. No problem anymore with the inserts sliding out - little velcro sticker are supplied to take care of this.

Cheers,

PKH

FanaticFringer
09-28-2006, 16:59
My little velcro stickers plain suck. They keep sticking to each other and both end up on one side. Not a big issue thow.

hogn8r
09-29-2006, 11:26
My homebrew S.P.E. has 12" wings. I am a side sleeper primarilly and I HATE waking up to cold butt and knees. :) I use a cut down 3/8" CCF as pad and inserts.

Just Jeff
09-29-2006, 11:30
My latest has 8" wings. I'll have pics up soon.

highway
11-14-2006, 11:18
From looking at the Speer website, the thin 1/4" CCF foam can be used in lieu of the 1/2" CCF, which I am leaning towards since it will stow a little smaller. I am using the 3/4 Prolite 4 Thermarest with it. SPE is 8 wing.

1. Any thoughts on the 1/4" vs 1/2" for three-season, above freezing temps-say AT in April?

Its just not getting colder than 60F yet here.

Just Jeff
11-14-2006, 11:27
I don't see why 1/4" won't keep you warm enough. Since it won't fit so tightly inside the sleeve you might get a little gap in coverage, though...might want to cut the pad a bit wider than the 1/2" version to compensate.

highway
11-16-2006, 06:29
I took your advice & decided on 1/4" ccf for the wings. I cut them slightly wider and longer. I let the velcro dots cure in place for 24 hrs like the instructions said and they appear to be holding the wings securely. The instructions say it should be good down to 25F and thats below any three-season temps I should see. i considered the 1/2" but it was just to bulky to pack and if 1/4" is good to 25F, why bother?

Now I'm waiting for a cold front and Canadian air:D

K-Man
11-16-2006, 12:25
I used the SPE 4x4 with an Exped Downmat 7. I got tired of having to insert my zlite sections into the SPE and then insert the downmat. The sections would fall out and move and just be annoying to work with. I eventually ditched the SPE and just put the zlite sections on my sides and they stayed in place, thus achieving the same results as the SPE. While this kept me warm, I didn't like the feel of the hammock with the pads in place. I would get cold spots if my knees hit the sides and the hammock just wasn't as comfortable.

Solution - I ditched the pads altogether and now use underquilts. The hammock stays warm no matter how you move around in it and the hammock feels super comfortable. IMO don't bother with pads in the hammock, spend the $$ on an underquilt.

My current setup is as follows for cold weather:
-Clark Hammock
-No Sniveller Underquilt
-WM Alpinlite as Top Quilt

I still carry a 3/4 length pad in case I want to shelter it. If the temps drop I put the pad in the hammock with me. This setup gives me the most amount of options...

Two weeks ago I was out in CT and the temps got down to 25 on Fri and Sat night and I was warm in my undies with the above setup. Temps below 25 is when I add the pad.

Hope this was helpful...