PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth..

slamajama
09-13-2006, 18:08
Hello,
Im back to Whiteblaze after being away for awhile because of knee surgerys and i am planning a section hike from pawlings Ny to Mt Greylock, does google earth have the trail on their database? Im trying to get more of a detailed map of the part of the trail i would like to hike.
ty for your responce...

Midway Sam
09-13-2006, 18:11
If you become a "donating member" here at whiteblaze.net, you can download a file for GE that not only has the entire trail, but also all the shelters marked.

Obviously not 100% accurate, but is very nice.

Sly
09-13-2006, 18:13
You can? Where's it at?

Sly
09-13-2006, 18:16
I found it, thanks for mentioning...

Midway Sam
09-13-2006, 18:30
You're most welcome.

speedy
09-13-2006, 20:14
Wow, didn't know about that either, thanks! :D speedy

Skidsteer
09-13-2006, 20:26
Cripes! How did I miss that? :o

Thanks Midway Sam.

Midway Sam
09-13-2006, 20:55
I spent a couple of hours looking for a pic of one of the shelters. Can't see the shelters for the trees.

I did recognize the gravel parking lot/road just south of Wesser Bald. Addicting.

saimyoji
09-13-2006, 23:14
I found the google earth AT data before WB went donation. If you search from within GE you should be able to find the plugin/whatever from within GE if you are hesitant to donate to WB (or if you are a lurker and want it but don't want to donate to WB).

Amigi'sLastStand
09-13-2006, 23:19
Bad news, I am not gonna speak for the rest of the AT, but the section in NJ is totally off. We have had this discussion before, and the addon google earth plugin is way off. IMO, a few hundred meters off can mean a 300 ft climb, or a relaxing Saturday. I wouldn't trust my happiness or well being to the map addon.

Sly
09-14-2006, 00:44
Bad news, I am not gonna speak for the rest of the AT, but the section in NJ is totally off. We have had this discussion before, and the addon google earth plugin is way off. IMO, a few hundred meters off can mean a 300 ft climb, or a relaxing Saturday. I wouldn't trust my happiness or well being to the map addon.

Would someone actually use Google earth to print maps for navigating? I thought it was just a fun thing.

Michele
09-14-2006, 14:00
Where do you go on WB for this? I can't find it. :( I actually just today discovered google earth, and think it's so awesome. My map obession just went to a different level!! :)

Fiddler
09-14-2006, 16:37
Where do you go on WB for this? I can't find it. :(
Click (Members area) in the bar on top, on the right side.

Cuffs
09-14-2006, 16:55
MICHELE!

Now that youve found GE, heres a new challenge: Pan across the country and see if you can spot airplanes IN FLIGHT!?! (have to zoom in pretty close for this one!)

Some friend mentioned that to me, and I spent HOURS searching! (yes, they are there!)

Michele
09-14-2006, 19:14
MICHELE!

Now that youve found GE, heres a new challenge: Pan across the country and see if you can spot airplanes IN FLIGHT!?! (have to zoom in pretty close for this one!)

Some friend mentioned that to me, and I spent HOURS searching! (yes, they are there!)

You mean someone actually has MORE time on their hands at their jobs than I do? :D That's crazy. Anyone know how old the images are? Gotta be at least a few years, because certain structures that I know were built in the past 2 years aren't there. When do they update the images?

Cuffs
09-15-2006, 12:59
Just panning thru GE this afternoon to look at the AT... I am AMAZED at how close/narrow the corridor is in some areas. And how housing developments are almost ON the AT. What a shame!