PDA

View Full Version : six moon designs

dmb658
09-14-2006, 06:54
i was just wondering if anyone had use the six moon designs "lunar solo" tent and i just wanted to know how well it performed out on the trail

cannonball
09-14-2006, 07:12
I have one and am very pleased with it. It is essentually a tarp but has screening and a vestibule. At about 11/2 lb. it packs down to about 12x8 inches and can be stuffed in nearly any place in your pack. It is roomy for a 1 person as I am a big guy but can still get gear in comfortably. Not my entire pack though.
One area of concern/tip, I have learned is to go around and tighten the tie outs after it has been set up at least 1/2 hour. this will help its stability through the night as it tends to stretch after origional set up.
You may obtain furthe info at thier web site, sixmoonsdesigns.com. They carry them at mountain crossings at Neels Gaop if you want to see one in person.

Smile
09-14-2006, 12:13
I have used one as well, but had a few comments on design.
Firstly, the 'flap' at the top of where one of your hiking poles goes in tends to flare out, this can let rain in depending on your location during that particular storm - the older version with the velcro is a pain, be sure to get one with a zipper.

I agree with Cannonball about the 1/2 hour re-tighten the tie outs situation, but that is a silnylon thing apparently, it just stretches. Not a set up and get in and sleep thing, or you may wake up in a very saggy damp/wet tent.

The inside has nice mesh around the bottom, but still lots of condensation. I have a few friends that have them who carry a little piece of 'camp towel' for wiping off the inside 'roof' each morning.

I never could get it to set up 'right', one corner always sagged, I had several people on trail who also had one set it up, and they all had the same trouble, no matter where or what type of terrain it was set up on, even tried it in a field on surely flat ground. So I measured it, and one side was 2 inches longer than the other - I emailed SMD about this, and was told there was no way that it was, then many others were too. Well, I managed to go with it, but it's clearly cut longer on one side, hence the droopy corner - which iced several times this spring sticking my head to the icy frost several mornings.

Nice light tent, would like to see the vestibule flaps extended closer to the ground, people can see in if you happen to be camping in a cramped area (which of course you can easily fix, just move on further down the trail)

The tent came packaged well, a fair price for the weight and I had fun seam sealing it - although I would have liked to have had that done for me.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it 9.

Footslogger
09-14-2006, 15:17
On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it 9.
======================================

I have used one now for a couple years and I concur. Just be certain you seam seal it well. The key is getting a good pitch, but I guess that could be said for any tent/tarp. The outer surface extends way out beyond the floor and I have been in horendous downpours and not gotten a drip inside.

'Slogger

Kerosene
09-19-2006, 11:07
I use the original version of the Lunar Solo and am generally satisfied. Yes, the velcro closure is a pain, although you can eliminate a lot of condensation build-up by leaving the entrance open until rain forces you to close.

I use half of a sponge to wipe down the inside of the tent in the morning. Even on cool mornings with no breeze I've only seen light condensation above my head.

The key to tight setup is to re-position the tie-outs to accommodate the pentagonal footprint, plus use 8" Easton aluminum tent pegs (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=290&parent_category_rn=4500663&vcat=REI_SEARCH) pushed in about half-way, putting the stretchy tie-out at the bottom of the peg and the rope tie-out at the top of the mesh around the top. You can adjust the height and angle of your trekking pole to further tune the setup.

I purchased the lightweight silnyl floor, which I've read can allow water to be "seep" in where there is heavy weight (like your butt). I purchased a 1.5 ounce groundsheet (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html) that I use if the ground is wet.

In closing, note that after relying on a tent through the Whites, I'm more determined than ever to move to a cold-weather hammock rig to give me a lot more campsite options.