PDA

View Full Version : Red Ledge or Frogg Toggs?

Earl Grey
09-14-2006, 12:29
Im looking to buy some rain gear now and ive narrowed it down to between Frogg Toggs and Red Ledge. Which one would you go with?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2006, 12:40
Frogg Toggs Pro Action (http://www.froggtoggs.com/proaction.htm) - because it breathes better.

speedy
09-14-2006, 12:49
Wow, you almost had me for a second. Luckily I realized it was a trick question and the real answer is C. Drop Stoppers. Or is it? I guess if you just enjoy carrying weight and spending money then the answer could be Frogg Toggs since they breathe better than Red Ledge. They're both made out of the same micropore polypro. It's just that drop stoppers don't come in the snazzy tie-dye look. Seriously, check them out if you haven't already. :D speedy

Edit: A dinosaur that types faster than me... I'll never take over the world at this rate.

Hammerhead
09-14-2006, 13:02
Drop Stoppers aren't as durable either as they're made with two layers of microporous polypropylene laminate instead of three, but the price is sweet and they're 6oz lighter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2006, 13:14
Boston does make a good point about design elements - Frogg Toggs do look weird.

Re: Speedy's comment - it isn't that I'm faster - just way more experienced at 3 X your age

Outlaw
09-14-2006, 13:16
I'm very happy with my set of Red Ledge. They provide some nice features including large vent zippers under the armpits and full leg zippers on the pants. So IMO, ventilation is really not a huge issue w/ Red Ledges.

DawnTreader
09-14-2006, 13:29
what about dri ducks .. worked great for me

speedy
09-14-2006, 14:25
I've gotta say, Boston does have a point. You really need to ask yourself if you're going to be hiking in the winter or 3 season. 3 season, I'm still thinking drop stoppers. If you're not really into lightweight stuff, or have to work in the rain a lot, the Red Ledge might be the best choice of the two. At some point though, you're just going to be better off with a TNF waterproof breathable jacket. I think each of the products has it's niche. You've just got to decide which features are most important to you. BTW, I've never had a problem with drop stoppers' durability. They're much better than most of my stupidly light gear. :D speedy

Edit: DawnTreader, dri ducks are the same as drop stoppers I believe. Anyone else know?

peter_pan
09-14-2006, 14:50
Real issue is durability.... on a trail go with the frogg toggs...although I prefer Dri Ducks...Drop Stoppers or O2 rain wear...All two ply MP...breathable , significantly lighter, less cost...but more fragile.

If off in the wilds busting brush the red ledge is more durable.

Pan

Earl Grey
09-14-2006, 15:45
I looked up Drop Stoppers and theyre pretty cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Drop-stoppers-Waterproof-Rain-suit-large-kappler_W0QQitemZ230028119181QQihZ013QQcategoryZ13 7007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I mean are they really that good? Id just be doing trail walking (at least when it would be raining).

Peaks
09-14-2006, 16:20
The answer depends in part on your uses. As others have posted, durability is an issue for Frogg Toggs.

Myself, I've gotten a lot of use out of my PreCip jacket (Red Ledge is similiar). I use it around town, biking, day hiking, etc.

In summer, I don't wear long pants often. So I carry Frogg Toggs for for cool mornings, and rainy weather. My pretty, but they have gotten me up the AT, and biked coast to coast with them, and still using them years later.

In the fall and spring while hiking, biking or doing other activities, I do use a more durable and heavier gore-tex rain pants.

hopefulhiker
09-14-2006, 16:53
This is incredible. I am going to shave some oz on my next long hike..
I didn't know about drop stoppers... If I did I probably would have carried them instead of frog toggs last year..
How much do they weigh again?

Earl Grey
09-14-2006, 17:11
This is incredible. I am going to shave some oz on my next long hike..
I didn't know about drop stoppers... If I did I probably would have carried them instead of frog toggs last year..
How much do they weigh again?

10oz total for the top and bottom.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2006, 17:49
I would have gone with drop stoppers if they had been on his original list. Red Ledge is an excellent value for a good all-around rain suit, but for the trail, I want something lighter.

Skidsteer
09-14-2006, 18:47
I have Frogg Toggs, Dropstoppers, and a Red Ledge jacket. For all around use I would choose the Froggs.

Screw fashion. Besides, I make Frogg Toggs look sexy. :D

Michele
09-14-2006, 19:50
Am I the only one that LIKES the way Frogg Toggs look? Oh yeah....I can't match my own clothes...so what do I know? :D

I like my Frogg Toggs.

Skidsteer
09-14-2006, 19:58
Am I the only one that LIKES the way Frogg Toggs look? Oh yeah....I can't match my own clothes...so what do I know? :D

I like my Frogg Toggs.

Oh, I don't know...your headband goes okay with your outfit.

Cool avatar. ;)

Michele
09-14-2006, 20:02
Oh, I don't know...your headband goes okay with your outfit.

Cool avatar. ;)

You know....I wasn't sure at first, but then my magic lasso ended up being gold too....so I figured two gold colored accessories wasn't a bad thing! :D I'm her #1 fan....always have been....always will be!

Earl Grey
09-14-2006, 20:07
I think ill get the Frogg Toggs ORANGE color. That way I wont be a target to hunters?

dloome
09-14-2006, 21:56
I love my Frogg Toggs Proaction, more so after sewing those darn pant pockets shut. Who cares if they look silly? (To some folks) Seriously, on a trail when most everyone is filthy, unshaven, and smells like butt, are you really that concerned with what you look like in your rain gear? Function, not fashion. Besides, some of us can rock the Toggs and make it look good. :cool:

Tinker
09-15-2006, 00:33
My Red Ledge rainpants came with a poor dwr. It wore off in less than a month and I needed to Nikwax them.

I've never used Frog Toggs.

Drop Stoppers Micropore raingear is for ultralighters who realize that their gear may be too fragile for unforseen circumstances (falls/slides on rock and bushwhacking). I still wear mine around town, but wouldn't recommend it for anything other than on-trail weekend outings. It tears much, much too easily.

I decided to bring my Precip jacket (and my Red Ledge pants) on my Georgia section hike in March. Wore them for about 2 hrs. total on a foggy, drizzly morning. Precip is durable, has nice venting options, and should go all the way to Maine. Of course, you may choose to use lighter stuff and replace it when needed. It's a matter of choice - reliability or weight.

DawnTreader
09-15-2006, 00:46
Get Dri Ducks from Gossamer Gear . com.. its good stuff..

Tinker
09-15-2006, 00:55
Get Dri Ducks from Gossamer Gear . com.. its good stuff..

I believe that they're the same as the Drop Stoppers Micropore sold at Backpacking Light. At least they look identical in color and hood tie design.

Comfortable, but not very durable.

otterman
09-15-2006, 07:45
I own both and I am much happier with my Frogg Toggs. In a torrential downpour the Red Ledge jacket will eventually soak through. I still use the Red Ledge pants for wind protection though.

Just Jeff
09-15-2006, 10:06
I've been satisfied with my Red Ledge pants.

I ripped my DropStopper pants on a stump on the first trip. (To be fair, it would have poked a pretty good hole in the Red Ledge, too.) But I just duct taped it from the inside and it's good as new...for 4 oz. My whole rainset weighed less than my GoLite rainjacket until I switched to the Packa. And for $16 a set you can bounce one set of DropStoppers ahead...just trade it out when you get too much duct tape on it.

Then you can afford a normal raincoat for around town when you're at home.

I don't think I'd rely on DropStoppers for true winter conditions, but for three season AT hiking I wouldn't consider it a problem at all. JMHO.

headchange4u
09-15-2006, 10:52
I just bought a Frogg Toggs Proaction jacket from Ebay for about $20. I also picked up a set of the Drop Stoppers just because they were so cheap and they do look better than the Frogg Toggs.

Johnny Swank
10-11-2006, 10:46
I'd go the Drop Stopper / ducktape route if I did it again. Buy 2 and bouncebox the second and you're golden.

popcorn
10-13-2006, 20:54
Just got back from using frogg toggs for a month of camping. The fit of the pants drove me nuts. I had to pull them up practicaly to my chest, where they would never stay, to get them to not look like clown pants. They also seemed to leak through at the knees. The most annoying thing with them was the way they were a magnet for every burrdock within ten feet. I was constantly spending time picking off stickers I suppose this is more of a issue in the fall. The other thing that bothered me was the way the elastic and velcrow backing soaked up so much moisture and took forever to dry. They were pretty cozy on cold damp mornings though.

nchiker467
10-14-2006, 18:24
im trying to descide between red ledge thunderlight jacket and a frog toggs jacket. leaning towards red ledge becouse IMHO i just cant stand the looks but if they are alot better than red ledge then i dont care what they look like :)

Creaky
10-15-2006, 18:57
I've been disappointed with my Red Ledge jacket. The pockets have torn with only moderate use and the front zip has always been difficult to zip because of the way it's sewn in and the fabric at that point jamming the mechanism. No big deal if you've got warm hands and a few extra seconds, but that pretty much describes what I DON'T have when I want the jacket on. I could never recommend Red Ledge to anyone, especially a group of young Scouts, even though the price seems right. I wear the pants much, much less often, and they've been okay.

I know this is beyond the youngsters, but for a top I'm thinking of a Precip, or even the much more expensive but lighter and very well made Montane Superfly.

saimyoji
10-15-2006, 19:06
EMS has remodeled their ThunderHead jacket so the pit zips follow where your backpack strap would cross your chest, instead of following the underseam of the sleeve. They've also dropped the pockets to a more manageable level, rather than "Napolean style."

I just bought the PacificTrails terrain jacket (40$) and like it so far. Warm, all the features and more than the RedLedge, but nearly same price. I'll post more detals after a true test.

generoll
10-17-2006, 17:44
just my $.02 worth, but I just got back from a 3 day two night section on the BMT and have to say that the pockets on the pants of the Frogg Toggs are a major design flaw. They are slash pockets and the water runs right into them and thence down your leg. It took me two hard days of rain to figure out why I was getting so wet, but the bulb finally flashed. Hadn't thought about sewing them shut. I was too busy composing a strongly worded letter to Frogg Toggs in my head to consider field mods.

Spock
10-17-2006, 21:02
Have used Frogs, Ledge and Durafab (O2) on AT. Prefer Durafab. Lighter and more breathable. Next choice, Frogs. I sorta like Ledge, but they don't breathe at all compared to other two. If you get them, chose ones with lots of vent zips. More durable and better looking, though. Wear 'em in town.

saimyoji
10-17-2006, 21:16
Perfect weather to test my new raincoat. Worked like a charm. I did some yard work this afternoon in the driving rain for a few hours, didn't soak through. Breathed very well as I didn't sweat at all, though I was wearing a longsleeve layer underneath. I'm sure direct contact with skin would cause some claminess.

Head over to Burlington Coat Factory to pick up this $120 jacket for only $40.

nchiker467
10-20-2006, 23:24
the black frogs dont look all that strange, so guese ill go with that jacket. I think you can get the proaction jacket in camo? i think it would look better than the other colours IMO

Big Dawg
10-21-2006, 06:44
the black frogs dont look all that strange,

Agree!! I love my black toggs. :D

nchiker467
10-25-2006, 19:14
orange color is dicontinued?