PDA

View Full Version : is hanging food necessary on the AT

flagator
09-14-2006, 15:17
Hey all. I've read a lot of threads on this subject, and I have a hard time coming up with a general consensus. Some say it is dangerous not to with bears of course. And others seem to say hanging food is the best way to get ripped off. even if you properly hang a bag, squirrels and coons could possible get it. Is the threat of bears really that major? But furthermore, I know for a fact when I do a large section or thru, ill be using sealed food. Power bars, powdered drinks, and maybe backpackers pantry vacumn sealed bags. If I finish whatever I start to eat, should I have a problem. I mean I dont think animals should even be able to smell it, but should i doubt their abilities?

Lone Wolf
09-14-2006, 15:20
I never hang food. It stays in my tent with me.

chazmo
09-14-2006, 15:36
Once you open up that sealed food, you have trash that smells of food.

Bears tend to hang around locations like campgrounds and shelters, which I avoid if at all possible. That said, I still hang my food to help avoid the smaller critters--I have had a hole chewed through my pack and food ruined the one time I didn't take the precaution.

OldStormcrow
09-14-2006, 15:44
The raccoons are far worse about getting into your food than bears. In the Smokies the mice will ruin a pack by chewing holes in it unless you leave all of the pockets wide open. Just the smell of food left on the packages from your handling them is enough for them to pick up on. I take everything, from food to clothes to toothbrush out of my pack each night and lay it all out on my pack cover beside my sleeping bag....except the food, of course. We had some food in our tent one time and a skunk chewed a hole in the side of the tent trying to get at it. My cajun friend had to stay up all night, punching the skunk in the nose each time it would poke it through the hole in the side of the tent. Hang your food. It keeps the bears, raccoons, mice, skunks, etc. from becoming deadbeats and criminals!

Footslogger
09-14-2006, 15:52
It's sort of a dice roll. If you're willing to bet that the varmints won't get into your food then don't hang it.

I personally hang my food bag. Not that big of a hassle and I don't see the need to tempt fate.

The majority of wild animals I am familiar with along the trail will generally avoid humans but more and more you hear about those "exceptions" ...the animals that have become habituated to human food and will act somewhat against their own basic instincs to get at it, whether you are there or not.

'Slogger

Bloodroot
09-14-2006, 16:03
Hey all. I've read a lot of threads on this subject, and I have a hard time coming up with a general consensus. Some say it is dangerous not to with bears of course. And others seem to say hanging food is the best way to get ripped off. even if you properly hang a bag, squirrels and coons could possible get it. Is the threat of bears really that major? But furthermore, I know for a fact when I do a large section or thru, ill be using sealed food. Power bars, powdered drinks, and maybe backpackers pantry vacumn sealed bags. If I finish whatever I start to eat, should I have a problem. I mean I dont think animals should even be able to smell it, but should i doubt their abilities?

Well that depends. Are you planning on staying in a shelter any? It's sort of a etiquette thing for others that might be staying there as well. Nothing worse than staying in a shelter and waking up with mice in your mouth (this has happened to me several times, that's why I stay away from shelters if at all possible).

Bloodroot
09-14-2006, 16:07
but should i doubt their abilities?

Wait till you witness the flying trapezius mouse that can do half-gainers from cable to to cable to get to your food:rolleyes:

Peaks
09-14-2006, 16:10
There is a good reason why there are bear boxes, or bear lines. Not that hard to use.

In shelters, mice go after smells in your pack.

Some do, some don't. All depends on if you want to tempt fate. While it's not a good idea to have food in your tent at night, some do anyway.

SGT Rock
09-14-2006, 16:16
I hung my pack on a tree once at Blackwell Creek Bridge in GA (I was in my hammock and needed a place to put it) and a mouse chewed into the plastic bag holding my camera. No food smells, no shelter, but some dang mouse found me and chewed that one bag.

Food was hung in a bag from a whole nother tree 20' away and not bothered.

flagator
09-14-2006, 17:12
thanks for the replies. But to be honest, im still not sure what to do... it would be one thing if hanging my food would be a sure solution. But it surly is not. From what some people say, my food has a better chance if it is right next to me. Are there animals on the AT that will actually bite a hole in the side of your tent?? thats insane. I dont want any holes in my new $200 pack, and i dont want any holes in my tent! there is no worry free way, what about these bear boxes? it seems there should be some kind of metal box with a latch that is animal proof, that hikers can just pick up their stuff in the morning. but than you have to worry about theives! i have no clue what to do.

Ender
09-14-2006, 17:16
The only sure fire way to keep the critters out of your food would be to carry the food in a bear cannister, but that's pretty much overkill I think. Most bear cannisters weight well over 2 pounds, and are a pain to pack.

Footslogger
09-14-2006, 17:18
[quote=flagator] Are there animals on the AT that will actually bite a hole in the side of your tent?? thats insane. I dont want any holes in my new $200 pack, and i dont want any holes in my tent!
====================================

I have personally experienced both. The chipmonks in certain areas are fearless. Not trying to sensationalize the whole thing ...and not saying it would happen to you. But since you mentioned a hole in your tent and/or backpack I thought I'd share that.

'Slogger

Bloodroot
09-14-2006, 17:18
thanks for the replies. But to be honest, im still not sure what to do... it would be one thing if hanging my food would be a sure solution. But it surly is not. From what some people say, my food has a better chance if it is right next to me. Are there animals on the AT that will actually bite a hole in the side of your tent?? thats insane. I dont want any holes in my new $200 pack, and i dont want any holes in my tent! there is no worry free way, what about these bear boxes? it seems there should be some kind of metal box with a latch that is animal proof, that hikers can just pick up their stuff in the morning. but than you have to worry about theives! i have no clue what to do.

Dude, buy a bear bag to put your food in. You need a bag to store/segregate your food from everything else in your pack anyways. Its nothing to throw a rock over a tree (although Ive had some great laughs watching people) or use the existing cables that are at just about all shelters.

Ewker
09-14-2006, 17:19

you are over worrying

flagator
09-14-2006, 17:21
i think it may be overkill to some. but maybe not to me, ill conserve weight whenever possible but wont flinch to bring something i need. And i dont know if i do need it, i havent experienced the AT, in Fl i dont have a critter problem although i usually only car camp for a weekend. but i know ill be paranoid not about my food, but more so my expensive equipment, my pack, tent and bags (which will have to be replaced). 2 lbs is a lot, but i'll atleast check into it, maybe there is something a bit lighter.

flagator
09-14-2006, 17:23
yeah, i think i am over worrying, but thats kind of the person I am. I have no problem using a bear bag... but cant they be chewed through by coons and squirrels and mice anyway??? is it any safer? I have no problem doing whatever it takes, I just want to go with my best bet!? thanks

Bloodroot
09-14-2006, 17:23
i know ill be paranoid not about my food, but more so my expensive equipment, my pack, tent and bags (which will have to be replaced). 2 lbs is a lot, but i'll atleast check into it, maybe there is something a bit lighter.

then hang it

Bloodroot
09-14-2006, 17:29
yeah, i think i am over worrying, but thats kind of the person I am. I have no problem using a bear bag... but cant they be chewed through by coons and squirrels and mice anyway??? is it any safer? I have no problem doing whatever it takes, I just want to go with my best bet!? thanks

Sure they can chew through it, but, IMO it's less likely up in a tree.

Doctari
09-14-2006, 19:04
To add more confusion to the mix, I hang my food, don't feel the need to do so, I just do it, , , , most times. As I now no longer stay in shelters or at established campsites, I dont think I need to.

I suppose that my reason for hanging food is (mostly) habit, secondly to keep the little critters out (mice, etc.) & the raccoons & Possums. Then, finally if it keeps the big critters (read: Bears) out all the better.

But then, like I said, I don't really feel the need to do so, I just do it. :rolleyes:

Doctari.

BTW, only had my food stolen by critters one time, in a (now closed) hostel :p

Skidsteer
09-14-2006, 19:10

Yep, you're overthinking it.

Look at worse-case scenarios and what your skill level can overcome then make your decision and just do it.

If it doesn't work, try something else the next time.

I hope you don't take this as harsh but you're worrying yourself down a path that leads to giving up before you actually hike. There's no rule against changing your mind about something.

Good luck and remember to have fun! :sun

white rabbit
09-14-2006, 19:56
Your own personal experience will be the best teacher. Do whatever you think is right and go from there. If you don't hang your bag and something happens it won't kill you, you'll even look back and laugh about it, but you will learn from it. It's not worth worring about. Just get out and find what works for you because life is short!

Lone Wolf
09-14-2006, 20:20
I've been on the AT 20 years. I've always kept my food bag in my tent. NEVER had a critter bite or fight it's way in to get it. Bears are not a problem. Don't stress over it.

Tin Man
09-14-2006, 20:23
What they said. Take precautions, expect to be raided in spite of your efforts, move on. Chewed hole? Duck tape. Missing food? Do without or ask for help. Missing Scotch? That's a problem. At the end of the day, s**t happens, bet on it, move on.

Tin Man
09-14-2006, 20:30
L. Wolf left out the part where we carries a gun. Animals smell guns. Animals die when they get within 100 yards of L. Wolf. Don't worry about animals when you are around L. Wolf. Otherwise, hang your food. And before you get the wrong impression, we all love our L. Wolf.

ed bell
09-14-2006, 20:35
I've been on the AT 20 years. I've always kept my food bag in my tent. NEVER had a critter bite or fight it's way in to get it. Bears are not a problem. Don't stress over it.Keep your cooking area clear of leftovers and away from your tent and I'm with Lone Wolf.

saimyoji
09-14-2006, 20:55
If you are worried about penetration into your precious food supply, try:

ursack.com

For hanging, instead of using rope/line that mice can climb on, try using fishing line tested to appropriate weight of your bag.

Outlaw
09-14-2006, 21:36
I had/used a Ursack. I hike alot in the Adirondacks where the NYSDEC came out with a directive a year or so ago that if you are in the high peaks region, you must use an approved bear cannister. The Ursack has NOT been approved by the DEC.

The problem with a Ursack, although it keeps out the smaller critters, a bear will perhaps not get your food out, but it sure will ruin it by sinking their teeth through the fabric, spreading their saliva all over your food and leave you one hell of a mess. It is also relatively heavy, but not nearly as heavy as a bear cannister.

I hang my food in a silnylon bag (opening facing down) from a tree limb via a line and never had a problem (yet). My buddy has had the cork handles on his hiking poles chewed on by chipmunks seeking the salt from his sweat. They can do quite a job on other gear as well.

Tinker
09-15-2006, 01:32
I hang it where there are bear cables at shelters. (I usually tent near shelters).
I hang it from trees when not near a shelter.
If I ever (rarely) stay in a shelter, I hang my food/trash bag from the rafters with a mouse baffle.
Even though bears are unlikely to come into your tent, it's not unheard of. A woman at a highly used campsite in New Hampshire lost an eye to a bear who swiped his way into her tent to get her food. She just happened to be in the way. The bear was relocated, returned, and had to be destroyed.
Bad for woman and bear.

Personally, the only "attack" I've seen with my own eyes was in a shelter in Vermont when a woman took a candy bar into her sleeping bag with her. A mouse went after it and bit the woman when she rolled over onto him. The scream woke everyone up.:D

Outlaw
09-21-2006, 07:48
The following article, entitled, "Bear Necessities" appeared in today's Times Union (Albany, NY) about the problem the Adirondacks are and have been facing with black bears. The author, Fred LeBrun, is a generally respected "outdoor" reporter.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=518811&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=9/21/2006&TextPage=1

Green Bean
09-21-2006, 10:13
I hang my food.! ~GB

vipahman
09-21-2006, 12:48
I hang my food (powerbars) and trash from a tree downwind and at least 50 ft from my tentsite. This way any animals don't stumble on me first.

fiddlehead
09-21-2006, 15:45
Hung it once or twice, it got wet. That was 6 thru-hikes ago. Never hung it again. never had another problem.

JoeHiker
09-21-2006, 16:38
I tried to hang mine last fall. I was terrible at it. I think I successfully did it once. The last time I tried, the throw bag got caught up in the tree and I couldn't get it down. Cut the cable, left the rope hagning there and hung the pack in the shelters from then on while I slept in a hammock.

mrc237
09-21-2006, 17:18
Brick: I hang my food in a silnylon bag (opening facing down) from a tree limb via a line and never had a problem (yet). ---------- interesting---why???

mweinstone
09-21-2006, 17:40
hanging your food makes you scared. i like to be brave and not hang it. like they did in the olden days.

hopefulhiker
09-21-2006, 18:50
The small animals in the hundred mile wilderness can be really aggressive. Once I stopped near a shelter right above a good stream. I ate some gorp and left the zip lock bag exposed in the pack. I went down to get water which took about five minutes. When I came back that gorp was GONE! I really don't see how the critter got it down that fast. I figure it must have been a squirrel with really fat cheeks. That was most of my Gorp supply too.

Tin Man
09-21-2006, 19:00
I neglected to hang my food one night (I was seeing two trees where I swear there was only one :rolleyes: ) and the shelter mice had a field day. Does that make them shelter field mice? :-?

Spock
09-21-2006, 22:27
Listen to Skidster.
And hang the food bag. It may take you a few tries to get it right, but everything has a learning curve, right?
If you don't hang the food bag (with all that good-smelling trash in it) something will eat into it sooner rather than later. Usually, it will be a shelter mouse or chipmunk. They are both really destructive and sneaky. Worst case would be a bear. And once a bear gets aholt of the bag, its his, not yours anymore and he won't give it up for anything. Then you will have a walk-out on short rations.
Just do it. and have fun.

saimyoji
09-21-2006, 23:12
Hanging food is necessary to provide yogi hikers with food. Why do you think LW doesn't hang? He's just selfish, doesn't want to share. :rolleyes:

River Runner
09-22-2006, 01:27
I hang it - no problems from bears or mice either so far.

Outlaw
09-22-2006, 13:54
1. The webbing strap is on the bottom and is a lot more easier to hang food from rather than the drawstring.

2. So water won't get in the opening.

Thanks Boston, I couldn't have said it better myself!:cool:

Big Dawg
09-22-2006, 14:13
I've hung my food a few times-(ex.Smokies), but mostly my food bag is always w/ me in my tent,,, & I've never had a problem. Of course, I have a built in alarm that chimes all night long,,, it must scare the bejesus out of anything close. ughhh,, snorrrrrrrr,, ughhh, snorrrrrr:eek::eek::eek:

flagator
09-22-2006, 14:23
What kind of alarm big dawg, i've heard of people puttin bells on their food bags so they hear them jingle in the night. but i've never heard of an actual alarm are you talking about??

Outlaw
09-22-2006, 16:17
ughhh,, snorrrrrrrr,, ughhh, snorrrrrr:eek::eek::eek:

Big Dawg = big snore; Florida Gator = what, just a wimper :confused:

I guess Flagator never heard Big Dawg snore before... No need for a cow bell. Flagator better keep hanging his chow unless the Big Dawg is around to sound the alarm.

Peaks
09-22-2006, 17:18
The following article, entitled, "Bear Necessities" appeared in today's Times Union (Albany, NY) about the problem the Adirondacks are and have been facing with black bears. The author, Fred LeBrun, is a generally respected "outdoor" reporter.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=518811&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=9/21/2006&TextPage=1

Bear problems is why they now have mandatory bear canister regulation in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks. Even hanging doesn't always work that well there!

Granted, bears along the AT are generally not as smart as those in the High Peaks area, but still a good idea to always take all food out of your pack at night and hang it.

Outlaw
09-22-2006, 19:22
Bear problems is why they now have mandatory bear canister regulation in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks. Even hanging doesn't always work that well there!

Granted, bears along the AT are generally not as smart as those in the High Peaks area, but still a good idea to always take all food out of your pack at night and hang it.

I've hiked the Northville-Placid trail, where the northern +/- 40 miles runs through the eastern high peaks region. That's the area where the NYSDEC now mandates approved bear canisters to be employed. However, I have never even seen so much as a bear dropping in that area. A couple of weeks ago I was on the lowest section, between Benson and Piseco where we did find signs of bears and in one lean-to, some hiker wrote in the journal there was a 2-1/2 yr old bear hanging around the site (just how he knew it was 2-1/2 is beyond me). In any event, I ALWAYS bear bag, whether for bears or other critters. Rather be safe than sorry. So far, so good!:D

Big Dawg
09-23-2006, 07:37
What kind of alarm big dawg, i've heard of people puttin bells on their food bags so they hear them jingle in the night. but i've never heard of an actual alarm are you talking about??

Brick was right on,,,,, my loud snorrrrrrr is my alarm:D