PDA

View Full Version : Best socks?

dloome
09-14-2006, 22:10
I'm looking for some new socks. I used Darn Tough 1/4 cushion on my thru-hike and loved their durability (used the same 2 pairs the entire way) comfort, etc. didn't like the fact that they take DAYS to dry. My shoes dried faster than these socks.

http://www.darntough.com/incountry-1401.html

On a recent hike I used bike socks (DeFeet Air-E-Ator) which dry in minutes and felt alright but since they are a thin, poly based sock, I wore through the heels of both pairs in just over 200 miles, so it was probably a change too far in the other direction.

Anyone care to reccomend a wool blend sock that's lightweight and dries quickly but has some durability? Was thinking about trying some Darn Tough bike socks which appear to be a little lighter.

hikerjohnd
09-14-2006, 22:14
I used to wear a liner and wool socks. I switched to Smart Wool socks and dropped the liners. I have about 2 pairs that I use regularly and together they have about 200 miles on them. I may replace soon, but they are comfy...

Skidsteer
09-14-2006, 22:16
Smartwools have worked fine for me so far. They dry pretty fast and seem comfortable to me even when wet.

Sly
09-14-2006, 22:23
I'll buy whatever I can find the cheapest... Smartwools, Bridgedales, Thorlos, Ultimax

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2006, 22:25
The best socks I found were the wool hiking socks from LL Bean. They outlasted Smartwools and Smartwool adrenaline by two times, at least, and cost 60% of what the Smartwools cost. The dress socks from Walmart that come in a pack of 3 for $3 or $4 make the best liners and don't show wear, much less wear out.

Ewker
09-15-2006, 00:23
in Niota, Tn there is a company called Crescent Hosiery Mill than makes socks. In the outlet store next door I have bought 2 or 3 different brands of hiking socks. That includes LL Beans, Columbia and Smartwools. They also have some cool-max socks.

Tinker
09-15-2006, 00:51
with polypropylene liners. I got lots of heel blisters, but didn't think they were avoidable. By the late 80's I switched to Thor-lo socks without liners - no more blisters. They were fine - durable and quick drying, but boy, oh boy, did they hold an odor!!!

I've been using Smartwools the past 5 years and trying other socks as they came to my attention. I've gone back to Smartwools for hiking. They don't stink as much as most of the synthetics I've tried. They don't dry as fast or last as long as Thor-los, but they are more comfortable.

You can get by with just about anything for a short hike. Good socks are indispensible for longer distance treks.

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 02:15
Something I have been using lately that seems to work are these ankle high athletic socks from Wal-Mart. They are synthetic, cheap, and have adequate cushioning for me. Since I started hiking in tennis shoes or trail runners about 5 years ago I have been trying to find the right sock for that - I've even tried hiking without socks. This seems the best fit so far.

MAD777
09-15-2006, 15:03
I use Wigwam Wool/Silk hiker socks. These are thick and super cushy. They will eventually dry if hung on the outside of your pack. I always carry an extra pair as I do a lot of water crossings and not very coordinated :-(

I tried thinner Smartwool (I'm a huge fan of wool) but my feet got hot from friction inside my boot. The Wigwam Wool/Silk Hikers are like walking on clouds. OK, clouds with embedded stones and roots, already!

jlb2012
09-15-2006, 15:11
I've been happy with Bridgedales (no liners) but I have not tried many other brands

Footslogger
09-15-2006, 15:24
"Best" is a relative term. I think though that it's pretty hard to beat a pair of Thorlo Light Hikers with CoolMax. I found a website that has a good multi-pair price and free deliver over a certain dollar amount. Combine that with no sales tax and it is really a good deal.

http://www.thesockcompany.com/thorlighikwc.html

I bought (I think) about 12 pairs of the above sock before my thru. I wore one and carried 2 (pair) and the rest were in my bounce box. As the toe or heel end would flatten out or wear I would trash them and grab a new pair out of my bounce box. When I reached Katahdin I still had at least one pair left, which I promptly pulled on and wore home.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 15:28
I love Thorlos with boots. I haven't found a sock that works as well in boots for me as Throlo Light hikers with coolmax as Footslogger says.

I just find them overkill in running shoes. That is me. My oldest boy loves them.

refreeman
09-16-2006, 01:35
Smartwool Expedition Trekking Socks – not all Smartwool socks are up to the challenge of real backpacking. Smartwool Expedition Trekking are THE BEST socks. I’ve tried many brands, I am blister prone, I hate blisters, Smartwool Expedition Trekking socks consistently protect my feet better than any other brand. So, I LOVE merino wool socks, but the thinner ones just don’t give the same cushion.

They have lasted a descent amount of time. They cost a lot. However, I don’t care how long they last as long as they prevent my feet from becoming skinless, bloody and painful. Especially if I’m breaking in new boots.

Here’s the best deal I’ve found on them currently. NOT Seconds ;) First RATE
Was $16.95 Now $13.56 - Sale Ends Saturday 9/30/2006
Spend over $50 and free shipping too! (You might as well send the $50 it’s worth it)
http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/e195f520b183cfdd989729a219f6d9ee/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/220/ProdId/112 (http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/e195f520b183cfdd989729a219f6d9ee/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/220/ProdId/112)

However, if you want to shave of 10% just call one of the shoe stores or outfitters that guarantee to be the lowest price (and has free shipping) and have them beat this excellent deal. Here’s one I like to use.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8442077/c/11.html (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8442077/c/11.html)

DrewNC2005
09-16-2006, 07:54
I've been very happy with the Smartwool Adrenaline and Wrightsocks. I'm very prone to blisters and these two do the trick.

swift
09-16-2006, 14:40
Ingenius Hiker Socks. They have a built-in liner layer and they last forever. The same two pairs have over 4,000 miles on them and still in good shape

weary
09-16-2006, 14:59
I had blisters for the first several hundred miles on the trail in 1993. Then someone suggested I try the heaviest, part wool Thorlos. I did and never had another blister. I've been wearing Thorlos ever since.

I wear the heaviest -- Trekkers, I think they are called. the name has since been changed -- hiking, and lighter "athletic" socks at other times. My inlaws used to live in Salisbury, NC, near the Thorlo factory in Statesville and I'd buy a supply of "seconds" whenever we went to visit.

Ten years later my supply is wearing thin, so I guess I'm going to have to pay the full price at trail stores.

I've tried SmartWool socks. They are fine, comfortable socks. But I see no reason to switch from the cheaper, American-made, Thorlos.

Weary

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 15:01
I wear Thorlos. Or nothing at all. No liners.

NYGuy
09-23-2006, 22:54
The best socks I've ever owned are from Filson. They never quit and wick surprisingly well. They are pricey but worth it if your a foot nut like me.

Phreak
09-23-2006, 23:29
I wear Smartwool Adrenaline in the winter time and Wrightsock Coolmesh in the warmer months.

FanaticFringer
09-24-2006, 01:48
I bought these for sleeping in cold weather in my hammock and to use the next morning to hike:www.travelcountry.com/shop/SessionId/d3f81a51b930b840f7b27f566590796e/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/474/ProdId/2451

I use my Darn Tough 1/4 for the start of the hike.

highway
09-24-2006, 09:07
My feet are somewhat delicate (as probably many of ours are) and I stumbled upon these some years ago:

http://www.injinji.com/

The outdoor series seems more appropriate for hiking. Long distance endurance racers use theese socks quite successfully under very extreme conditions as you will see from their little video, in their endurance runs, which is not unlike a thruhike, just much faster. The socks are a little strange getting used too, since they look more like a glove than a sock, but they do eliminate toe blisters and seem to last forever. I prefer the newer, darker color which doesnt show as much of the dirt as the older tan ones did, about the only drawback for me with sandals.

My other favoriote sock is the short, ankle length Smartwool RBX Ultra Cushion, in basic black, that they no longer make, darn it. If it is cold I wear them both together sometimes. I love these little black socks with the funny figure outlined in white on each side.:cool:

i have tried many combos and settled on these two, for the most part.

Kerosene
09-24-2006, 10:41
I also use the Injinji "toe socks" to eliminate blisters caused by my toes rubbing against each other. My only gripe is that they take awhile to dry out. They would be perfect if they were thinner, but then they might not last too long.

mrc237
09-24-2006, 11:09
I always buy 2 pair of Thorlo Hikers at TDs every year I attend buy 2 get 1 free comes to $8.00 a pair. They wear like IRON!

Happy
09-25-2006, 00:00
Something I have been using lately that seems to work are these ankle high athletic socks from Wal-Mart. They are synthetic, cheap, and have adequate cushioning for me. Since I started hiking in tennis shoes or trail runners about 5 years ago I have been trying to find the right sock for that - I've even tried hiking without socks. This seems the best fit so far.

I have found for me, with trailrunners that just cheap liners without socks, works best and are more comfortable...no blisters yet!

SGT Rock
09-25-2006, 03:02
Yep, I have gone just liners too. Like I said I am still playing with it. I have to see how these will hang with a few hundred miles on them - but I know the "just liners" option works too, I just want something that only comes up past my ankle and doesn't work it'self down my feet while I walk.

Footslogger
09-25-2006, 09:01
I have found for me, with trailrunners that just cheap liners without socks, works best and are more comfortable...no blisters yet!
=====================================

I tried this too. Really impacts the fit of the shoe. Hard to pull the shoe on over a thicker sock if you go that route.

I carry one pair of liners with me on all hikes and change over to them at the end of the day for around camp and sleeping.

'Slogger