PDA

View Full Version : AT hiking clothes.

tomman
09-15-2006, 00:38
Here are some of the clothes I am looking at for the start of my AT hike on March 10th of 2007. Please take a look and tell me where I am right or where I have gone wrong.

Base layer will be Patagonia capilene 2 long sleeve zip neck shirt and capilene 2 pants. I may also take a set of Capilene1 lightweights to layer just in case but mainly to sleep in at night.

The 2nd layer will be a REI or similar long sleeve shirt with roll up and buttoned sleeves, the lightest weight I can find. The Pants will be the cargo type pants with the zip off legs.

The third layer will be my Marmot Precip rains clothes and if it is really cold I will have a Patagonia Micropuff jacket, which I hope to ware mainly in the evenings.

I want to keep my weight down but at the same time I want to be safe. I would rather carry a little extrta weight and be safe in the mountains My wife says if I freeze to death on the trail she will never talk to me again. Now sometimes!!

I hope that some of you Thru Hikers will go over this and let me know where any improvements need to be made. iwould be very helpful for me as this is an area that is giving me some grief in my planing yet I know it can be the most important.

Tomman

Tinker
09-15-2006, 01:05
The underwear looks right.

I prefer a very thin windshirt with a zipper to a button down shirt such as the so-called trail shirts sold at hiking/fashion shops. I use a Golite 1/4 zip shirt for windy days and light drizzle, as well as "dressing up :rolleyes:" in town.

I also carry Columbia (any brand will do) pants with zip off legs (zipped on for bug, wind and cold rain protection, off for hot days and swimming).

I generally hike without undies (I use Body Glide on high friction areas).

Yeah, I know, a little more than you needed to hear.

Starting in March, I recommend a lightweight synthetic jacket (full zips are more versatile, but heavier than pullovers), and raingear of your choice (none of it is breathable enough for hard hiking, but it works well in camp and for doing laundry in town). Note that I'm a section hiker, so others may have better suggestions than those above, but I've done a lot of hiking in the past 30 years! (Wool used to be "high tech" way back when).:D

hopefulhiker
09-15-2006, 07:23
I just used the silk weight capilenene shirt and pants,marmot wind shirt, patagonia down sweater,(just for camp,night wear) and frog togg rain jacket.. Also had the underarmour underwear. I used the Marmot full zip rain pants as full time hiking pants. The zips provided great ventilation. Later I switched out to nylon shorts and gators in warm weather

onicoe
09-15-2006, 12:41
ick, clothes. they'll be the last thing i buy.

my current list includes:
thermals (top and bottom) mostly to sleep in but for warmth when needed
2 tees
convertible pants (yay zippers!)
long sleeved mid weight top

my only dilemna is to get some sort of insulated hooded rainjacket, or do a heavyweight fleece pullover & poncho. (the poncho i'm eyeing doubles as a pack cover too). i'm trying to remain as practical as possible. either way i'm doubling on gear because with the jacket i'd need some sort of liner/pack cover, and the poncho i'd need a pullover for the days it's not wet out.

but you seem on the right track, tomman. i'm curious though, where'd you find the shirt you're describing with the roll up/button sleeves?

jlb2012
09-15-2006, 12:53
Mountain Hardwear Canyon Shirt - Men's - Item 693063 at REI is one example of a roll up button sleeve shirt

d2m
09-15-2006, 12:58
I started my thru-hike on march 20 06 this is what i brought...

1 pare long undies thin
1 longsleve shirt
2 short sleve shirts
1 fleece
frog toggs pullover
cheap nilon pants
hat and thin gloves

i was never cold good luck

Blissful
09-15-2006, 13:11
These posts must all be guy clothes, you can tell. They have more blood and stay warmer. :)

March 1st start for me is silk long undies, moving comfort tights, long sleeve polypro top, short sleeve polypro top, pr shorts, poly fleece pullover, down jacket, 2 pr Ex officio undies, balaclava, hat, gloves, and my marmot rain gear. Oh, a pair of acorn socks, and three pair of hiking socks. And my bounce box will have town clothes in it.

Appalachian Tater
09-15-2006, 15:28
Here's my actual list for comparison:

Kept for entire hike:

ventilated low-cut hiking shoes
Superfeet blue insoles
wool socks, 3 pair
liner socks, 3 pair
$1 beach flip flops for camp and showers
Capilene midweight boxers
lightweight nylon shorts with liner (for town)
short sleeve tee shirt (for town)
Marmot PreCip rain jacket
Smartwool watch cap
sometimes wore straw hat or baseball cap for sun, bugs, or rain

Had in warm weather only (Harper's Ferry to Glencliff):

short sleeve tee shirt
shorts with belt

Had in cold weather only (Beginning and end of hike):

fleece jacket (did not get back for end of hike)
long-sleeve athletic shirt with zipper at neck
zip-off long hiking pants with belt (did not get back)
thin wool sweater
Capilene midweight longjohns
glove liners (did not get back)

Try not to carry excess clothes but you can always mail them back when you realize you don't need them.

I'm not sure you need the rain pants--maybe others can address this.

You may not need a short sleeve shirt to start out.

I found my (cheap) fleece was not very warm for the bulk and weight.

My rainjacket I used more for warmth in camp or in cold rain and could only hike in it when it was very cold and windy because of sweating.

The longjohns and wool sweater I rarely wore, mostly while sleeping when it was very cold, but if you ever need them, they're crucial.

The wool hat I used even in the summer, especially in camp at higher elevations and starting out hiking on chilly mornings.

mweinstone
09-15-2006, 20:25
heres how its done for a 2/18/06 start,....long undies, long undies thick, undies, tee, sox, patagonia shado rain jacket 7 oz, golite rain pants 3.5 oz(reed), cargo shorts nylon, boots, hat,gaters black diamond sporty , neck gater, fingerless gloves ,shell mitts short,

tomman
09-16-2006, 01:31
I want to thank everyone for the great inputs. Looks like I am on the right track with some adjustments.

Onicoe: Rei, Exofficio and Columbia are just 3 of the many companies that make the long sheeve shirts that can be rolled up and buttoned in place.

Blessfull: I have been reading your web page and have enjoyed it very much.

Thanks again for the inputs.

tomman