PDA

View Full Version : Gear Swap

Tinker
09-15-2006, 00:42
Has anyone else beside me thought of organizing a gear swap by region?

I live in the Northeast (New England) and am considering the feasibility of organizing a yearly event at a centrally located public campground or park.

Any ideas on how that could be done?

Cuffs
09-15-2006, 10:27
I hadnt actually thought of being the "organizer" but have thought of the idea. My local paddling group does this annually for their gear. (thats where I got the idea)

Tinker, if you plan on doing something like this, keep me informed. I would be intersted in helping host for the SE region.

Thinking fall/winter would be good, as most thrus start in spring...

Gray Blazer
09-15-2006, 12:44
The next FL gathering will feature a swamp meet! (I mean swap meet!)

rockrat
09-15-2006, 13:53
River Sports in Knoxville does a biannual gear swap in their parking lot. They do it as a promotion and they always have good sales running while the swap is going on, so if you can't find it outside you can buy it new and cheap inside.

TOW
09-15-2006, 14:01
Has anyone else beside me thought of organizing a gear swap by region?

I live in the Northeast (New England) and am considering the feasibility of organizing a yearly event at a centrally located public campground or park.

Any ideas on how that could be done?

I've had some discussion with one of the guys here that works at one of the outfitters about selling used gear..........

Tinker
09-18-2006, 23:38
Where you could set up your tent/hammock/whatever, and use a public field to display your sale items.
Rhode Island wouldn't be central to New England. I would think that southern New Hampshire would be better.
Are there any folks out there who have camped at a public campground which might meet the above criteria (a large, open field, hopefully near an interstate)?

I think we'd need a fair amount of lead time. Next spring is what I'm thinking, especially if I organize it. Of course, blackflies would be a problem then.
Next fall, maybe?

hammock engineer
09-19-2006, 00:27
I came across this site ran by backcountry.com, www.geartrade.com (http://www.geartrade.com) . You can buy or sell old gear on it, or buy returned or repaired by from backcountry.

Tinker
09-19-2006, 00:36
Thanks.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of actually meeting the people that you would buy gear from or sell it to. Might make buying more enjoyable.

hammock engineer
09-19-2006, 00:46
Thanks.
I guess I was thinking along the lines of actually meeting the people that you would buy gear from or sell it to. Might make buying more enjoyable.

That's what I thought, but if anything else they might have some decent deals.