PDA

View Full Version : Now Open in Damascus...

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 08:17
...J.P.'s Daily Grind. Cafe*Bakery*Coffee House. Located across from Dot's and between Subway and Sundog Outfitters. He serves Seattle's Best coffees along with fresh scones, croissants, muffins, bagels, pastries and desserts. Also fruit smoothies, teas, juices and Coke products. There is also a luncheon menu. Homemade chicken salad is a specialty. A nice place for hiker trash to hang out. Hours are 6:00AM - 6:00PM daily. Y'all stop in. I'm a regular.

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 08:23
Sounds good.

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 08:24
...J.P.'s Daily Grind. Cafe*Bakery*Coffee House. Located across from Dot's and between Subway and Sundog Outfitters. He serves Seattle's Best coffees along with fresh scones, croissants, muffins, bagels, pastries and desserts. Also fruit smoothies, teas, juices and Coke products. There is also a luncheon menu. Homemade chicken salad is a specialty. A nice place for hiker trash to hang out. Hours are 6:00AM - 6:00PM daily. Y'all stop in. I'm a regular.

I was in a coffee shop in that exact spot during Trail Days.....new owners? REAL nice environment.......thanks LW

TOW
09-15-2006, 08:29
Yes StarLyte, the place is under new ownership. The place has a very comfortable atmosphere to it and the coffee is real good. Just the kind of place any hiker would love if he/she loves coffee....................

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 08:29
I was in a coffee shop in that exact spot during Trail Days.....new owners? REAL nice environment.......thanks LW
New owner and a better atmosphere in my opinion. There's plush couches a recliner and some nice tables to sit at and play games and such.

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 08:32
New owner and a better atmosphere in my opinion. There's plush couches a recliner and some nice tables to sit at and play games and such.

Well.....maybe I'll have to drive down before the Gathering........:D

TOW
09-15-2006, 08:33
Along with what Wolf just said, when any of you come to town, hollar at me for a game of hearts. Of course we'll need at least three to play.

Lugnut
09-15-2006, 08:54

For some reason I can't imagine you enjoying an afternoon respite of tea and croissants. Especially with Dot's right across the street. :D

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 08:57
For some reason I can't imagine you enjoying an afternoon respite of tea and croissants. Especially with Dot's right across the street. :D
You're right. Just coffee in the morning. Beer in the afternoon at Dot's.:)

SawnieRobertson
09-15-2006, 08:57
Yikes! Another reason to drive over to Damascus. Thanks, LW...Kinnickinic

ed bell
09-15-2006, 08:58
Along with what Wolf just said, when any of you come to town, hollar at me for a game of hearts. Of course we'll need at least three to play.Hearts is a great card game. Usually I find people know how to play spades, but I like hearts better.:sun

RITBlake
09-15-2006, 08:59
Can anyone here actually picture Lonewolf eating fresh scones and croissants?? :)

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 09:02

Geez!

I've shared more coffee with Lone Wolf than spirits.
.....Feng Shui......

jlb2012
09-15-2006, 09:02
bet he gets crumbs in his beard

Ewker
09-15-2006, 09:13
I should be there next weekend. I will check the place out

TOW
09-15-2006, 09:17
You're right. Just coffee in the morning. Beer in the afternoon at Dot's.:)

I can attest to that................

TOW
09-15-2006, 09:18
Hearts is a great card game. Usually I find people know how to play spades, but I like hearts better.:sun
I love the game, plus Scrabble...........

TOW
09-15-2006, 09:22
Can anyone here actually picture Lonewolf eating fresh scones and croissants?? :)

I've never witnessed him doing these kind of things, but when he comes into the coffee shop JP will hand Wolf his own special JP's Daily Grind coffee cup full of hot steaming coffee that JP has personally roasted and grinded and brewed just for Lone Wolf. And God forbid if you just think of asking for a cup of that special coffee...............

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 10:01
:-? sounds waaaay too cushy.
what about a campfire,a log to sit on, cowboy coffee, while packin' up yer tent,in the rain?? what's wid all the ammeneties for the spoiled thru-hikers. i mean it ain't nuffin' special ta hike the A.T.!!! now git out thar and start hikin'!!!;)

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 10:08
bet he gets crumbs in his beard
Nope. I don't partake of the baked goods. I'm watching my waist. Expand. Cheerios, banana and juice for my breakfast.

TDale
09-15-2006, 10:31
'Luncheon" for hiker trash?????

:D

weary
09-15-2006, 11:13
:-? sounds waaaay too cushy.
what about a campfire,a log to sit on, cowboy coffee, while packin' up yer tent,in the rain?? what's wid all the ammeneties for the spoiled thru-hikers. i mean it ain't nuffin' special ta hike the A.T.!!! now git out thar and start hikin'!!!;)
Or as a pre-islamic Bedouin poet once said:

"A jug of wine, a book of verse, and thou beside me in the wilderness," or something like that.

Weary

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 11:15
'Luncheon" for hiker trash?????

:D
Today's hiker trash are sophisticated.

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 11:17

:-? you didn't mention finger sandwiches and a wi-fi hotspot!!!!:D

Time To Fly 97
09-15-2006, 11:18

Anything less would be civilized!

Happy hiking!

TTF

JayP
09-15-2006, 11:40
For the hiker worried about the waist line such as my friend L. Wolf, All Smoothies are 100% natural fruit, and the lunch menu is the freshest, and healthiest in town.

TOW
09-15-2006, 11:52
For the hiker worried about the waist line such as my friend L. Wolf, All Smoothies are 100% natural fruit, and the lunch menu is the freshest, and healthiest in town.

And yum, yum to boot.......................

Creek Dancer
09-15-2006, 11:53

Great, I will stop in when I am in Damascus next weekend!

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 11:56

:-? fresh,healthy,smoothies????? in dumasskiss??? there goes the neighborhood!!!;)
if i see pirate in there, that's all the evidence i'll need to push the door open!!:D

TDale
09-15-2006, 11:59

Oh, THAT hiker trash. I've seen them in the REI catalog.

BTY, good to hear your getting 100% natural fruit in those smoothies. I've seen unnatural fruit before.

:eek:

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 13:03
Actually, Wolf, today's hikers aren't THAT sophisticated.

For example, the writer cited by Weary in Post #22 above, as a
"pre-Islamic Bedouin poet" was Omar Khayyam.

He lived from 1048-1131 (generally accepted dates), and was hardly pre-Islamic. He also wasn't a Bedouin, but was in fact born in present day Persia.
And lastly, in his own day, he was principally known as a mathematician and astronomer, and not as a poet.

And the correct quote is:

"A book of verses underneath the bough,
A jug of wine, A loaf of bread---and thou."

But thanks anyway, Weary. We can always rely on you to get it right! :D

TOW
09-15-2006, 13:59
Doggone it Jack, what is wrong with you here?! Why do you feel a need to attack people all the time? Why don't you practice some forgiveness for a change in your life. Don't you care what some of us think of you here, maybe not me, but there are others that you are letting down everytime you attack someone. Political threads are one thing, and people get into heated arguments there, but on this thread? Come on man, get a grip!

Quit expecting people to be the way you want them to be Jack, not one of us here are perfect including you............

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 14:21
Doggone it Jack, what is wrong with you here?! Why do you feel a need to attack people all the time? Why don't you practice some forgiveness for a change in your life. Don't you care what some of us think of you here, maybe not me, but there are others that you are letting down everytime you attack someone. Political threads are one thing, and people get into heated arguments there, but on this thread? Come on man, get a grip!

Quit expecting people to be the way you want them to be Jack, not one of us here are perfect including you............

:-? why bother????:D

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 15:01
Wanderer:

The inclusion of a little green grinning face is usually indicative that a post was made in jest. I was merely pointing out that Weary, who delights in telling other people (especially me!) that they're ignorant and don't know what they're talking about, needs the occasional reminder that he, too, is not infallible.

On land preservation in Maine, he's the man. On 11th century Persian literary figures.....well, maybe not so great.

When you develop something remotely resembling a sense of humor, Wanderer, please let us know.

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 15:22
I thought Jack was doing some friendly ribbing. Maybe I am just wired different.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 15:25
I knew he was joshing too. Hence the :D . Hey how bout them scones and coffee?:)

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 15:30
I would love some good coffee right now. That and some Whiskey.

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 15:51
I would love some good coffee right now. That and some Whiskey.

That's breakin my heart Rock. I'm a coffee drinker.
I just ground some Starbucks and perked it.

I'm going to have a cup for you right this minute. I don't drink whiskey but I'm sure someone here will have a sip for you.

Good thoughts!

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 15:52

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 15:52
Well s**t! I'll have to drink some whiskey for Rock.:)

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 16:01
Well s**t! I'll have to drink some whiskey for Rock.:)

damn I love that spirit........

kyhipo
09-15-2006, 16:02
seattles best is pretty good brew :banana .use to drink alot of out west looking out on the puget sound.ky

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 16:04
I can't wait to get to Damascus and taste for myself. I think March 2007.

SGT Rock
09-15-2006, 16:08
No bong rips. The only thing I smoke is cigars, and that I can get here - including Cubans.

But thanks for the offer.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 16:09
Who's going to take a bong rip for rock?
Take a crack pipe rip for yourself.

TOW
09-15-2006, 16:35
Wanderer:

The inclusion of a little green grinning face is usually indicative that a post was made in jest. I was merely pointing out that Weary, who delights in telling other people (especially me!) that they're ignorant and don't know what they're talking about, needs the occasional reminder that he, too, is not infallible.

On land preservation in Maine, he's the man. On 11th century Persian literary figures.....well, maybe not so great.

When you develop something remotely resembling a sense of humor, Wanderer, please let us know.

My bad, I didn't notice the smiley. My apologies Jack.

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 16:37
Raise a whiskey for Rock?

Excellent idea!!

I'm at work til 12:00. but around five after midnight, we'll see what we can do.

TOW
09-15-2006, 16:40
I think I'll have a shot of whiskey myself..........

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 16:40
Raise a whiskey for Rock?

Excellent idea!!

I'm at work til 12:00. but around five after midnight, we'll see what we can do.

webcam Jack?

weary
09-15-2006, 18:01
Actually, Wolf, today's hikers aren't THAT sophisticated.

For example, the writer cited by Weary in Post #22 above, as a
"pre-Islamic Bedouin poet" was Omar Khayyam.

He lived from 1048-1131 (generally accepted dates), and was hardly pre-Islamic. He also wasn't a Bedouin, but was in fact born in present day Persia.
And lastly, in his own day, he was principally known as a mathematician and astronomer, and not as a poet.

And the correct quote is:

"A book of verses underneath the bough,
A jug of wine, A loaf of bread---and thou."

But thanks anyway, Weary. We can always rely on you to get it right! :D
Actually, Jack that's an 1800's translation. You seem not to have read all of my post, that included the disclaimer "or something like that."

There are a number of alternative translations.

For instance one translation reads:

In the sweet spring a grassy bank I sought
And thither wine and a fair Houri brought;
And, though the people called me graceless dog,
Gave not to Paradise another thought!

Even Edward Fitzgerald, the translator I believe you are quoting Jack, had an alternastive version:

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou

A friend and hiking and canoeing companion, who has a doctorate in pre-islamic Bedouin poetry, once told me that the common translation bears little relationship to the verses Omar Khayyam wrote and that even Omar Khayyam verses had their roots in pre-islamic bedouin folk pieces.

Weary

Just Jeff
09-15-2006, 18:10
I don't know about this dude, but aside from some individuals Persia didn't become Muslim until the early 1500s under the Safavids.

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 18:27
Actually Jeff, Persia was first invaded by Arabs in 637, five years after Mohammed's death, with the area being completely conquered in a decade. The Islamization of the area immediately followed the invasion.

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 19:14
Actually Jeff, Persia was first invaded by Arabs in 637, five years after Mohammed's death, with the area being completely conquered in a decade. The Islamization of the area immediately followed the invasion.
:-? Threads devoted to On-Topic subjects, i.e. the Trail,the outdoors, etc., should be permitted to stay on topic.

So here's my suggestion:

Let the Off-Topic and Politics sections stay as they are. People that are interested in such things can go there and argue til the cows come home. But when an On-Topic thread is diverted from its original subject and intention, how about someone chiming in and saying "You've gone off the subject. That's NOT what this thread is about." Hopefuly, the offending party will realize their error, and that will be the end of the matter. I further suggest that if the offending party does NOT do this, then someone should post in with a comment like the following: "The thread has been taken off-topic. I suggest that further discusion of the off-topic matter END or be taken elsewhere."

If these simple measures are enacted, I think it'll help a great deal. When comments or diversions are pointed out for what they are, and THEN IGNORED, the diversion and thread-hijacking wil end of its own accord.

If folks persist in following thru with their off-topic postings, or post angry replies, then administration can step in, delete the posts, and say "This post has been deleted for taking the thread off of its original subject and intention."

If this is done often enough, folks will get the message.

The result of these simple measures:

1. People that wish to talk about things other than the Trail, and especially
those that wish to discuss political matters, will do so in the appropriate
place.
2. If they choose not to do so, they will be informed of this by other
Whiteblazers.
3. If they persist in hijacking the thread after they've been informed of
their having done so, then their posts should be removed from the
thread.

In short order, people will get the message. Off-topic comments will be posted and read in the appropriate places. People that wish to follow or take part in these dialogues can do so. People that do not enjoy seeing these discussions or arguments in inappropriate sections won't have to
endure them anymore. On-topic threads will stay that way; angry and rancorous discussions, especially political ones, will be read only by those who wish to view them; newcomers to the site won't be turned off by
people arguing with each other all over the website, and we can get back to more threads that deal with the subject at hand, i.e. the Appalachian Trail and how we can best help each other enjoy it.

Just an idea....:D :D

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 19:30
:-? Threads devoted to On-Topic subjects, i.e. the Trail,the outdoors, etc., should be permitted to stay on topic.

So here's my suggestion:

Let the Off-Topic and Politics sections stay as they are. People that are interested in such things can go there and argue til the cows come home. But when an On-Topic thread is diverted from its original subject and intention, how about someone chiming in and saying "You've gone off the subject. That's NOT what this thread is about." Hopefuly, the offending party will realize their error, and that will be the end of the matter. I further suggest that if the offending party does NOT do this, then someone should post in with a comment like the following: "The thread has been taken off-topic. I suggest that further discusion of the off-topic matter END or be taken elsewhere."

If these simple measures are enacted, I think it'll help a great deal. When comments or diversions are pointed out for what they are, and THEN IGNORED, the diversion and thread-hijacking wil end of its own accord.

If folks persist in following thru with their off-topic postings, or post angry replies, then administration can step in, delete the posts, and say "This post has been deleted for taking the thread off of its original subject and intention."

If this is done often enough, folks will get the message.

The result of these simple measures:

1. People that wish to talk about things other than the Trail, and especially
those that wish to discuss political matters, will do so in the appropriate
place.
2. If they choose not to do so, they will be informed of this by other
Whiteblazers.
3. If they persist in hijacking the thread after they've been informed of
their having done so, then their posts should be removed from the
thread.

In short order, people will get the message. Off-topic comments will be posted and read in the appropriate places. People that wish to follow or take part in these dialogues can do so. People that do not enjoy seeing these discussions or arguments in inappropriate sections won't have to
endure them anymore. On-topic threads will stay that way; angry and rancorous discussions, especially political ones, will be read only by those who wish to view them; newcomers to the site won't be turned off by
people arguing with each other all over the website, and we can get back to more threads that deal with the subject at hand, i.e. the Appalachian Trail and how we can best help each other enjoy it.

Just an idea....:D :D
all of the above text is courtesy of jack!!:D

Wonder
09-15-2006, 19:33
Awsome! I'll be achin' for a good esspresso by the time I hit VA!

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 19:43
Ah, but Dave, the lengthy quote you shared with us referred to threads that had become rancorous or angry.

All I was doing was trying to do was to enlighten dear old Weary about some of the finer points of 11th century history and literature, a subject that HE introduced to the thread, and not me.

There was nothing rancorous or angry about my comments to Weary; I was merely suggesting that if he was going to share his vast knowledge of Medieval Persia, he might want to fact-check his posts before sending them along.

No anger, no rancor, no harm, no foul. :D

neighbor dave
09-15-2006, 19:45
jus' funnin' jack!!;) :D ;) :welcome
i'm bored, i like whiteblaze jus' the way it is!! hope nuffin' changes!!
p.s. where's blister??????

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 19:54
Finishing up the CDT as far as I know, and doing very well. Hope to see her at the Gathering in a few weeks.

StarLyte
09-15-2006, 19:57
I'm for......

1. HYOH - always
2. No rules
3. No boundaries
4. No "staying on topic"
5. No vulgarity - and you know the words I'm talkin about - vulgar does NOT mean s**t or damn or h**l....

TOO MUCH time is devoted to people preaching to others about staying on topic? WHY? What the heck do you care? Just scan over that posting and go to the next? So what if someone posts a poem or something political or has a cocktail?

Take a pill.

You might even scan over this posting........I don't care.....I'm not taking it personally.......I'm not being snotty either....that's not my style....I'm just saying.....RELAX !

And now.......I'm going to watch Apocalypse Now for 300th time---did you know that Martin Sheen was really drunk in the beginning of that movie? No--you didn't know that did ya! ......now THAT was completely uncalled for and totally off topic......see that wasn't so bad.

I can't WAIT to have some coffee at J.P.'s Daily Grind.....and I'm going to eat Lone Wolf's scone and croissant.....I keep thinking about that......uh oh I hear the Ride of the Valkyries....gotta go.....

Creek Dancer
09-15-2006, 20:02
What Starlyte said!

saimyoji
09-15-2006, 20:16
Well, if you want your post to stay on topic, you can post it in the Straight Forward forum. If you don't like thread drift, then read only the posts in that forum. And if you don't like the dancing banana: :banana:banana:banana

weary
09-15-2006, 21:45
So here's my suggestion:
Well, This thread has little to do with the trail, per se. It was about an upscale, yuppie coffee shop in a town that happens to be on the trail.

Someone suggested that we should be talking about a campfire on the trail rather than a coffee shop serving yuppie food.. I agreed and illustrated my agreement by quoting an ancient poem from memory, adding that I was concerned with the idea not the exact words.

Jack being a stickler introduced a discordant note. Does anyone besides Jack really care about the exact order of the words -- or whether they are a result of pre-islamic bedouins or some other mid east tribes later or earlier?

Right or wrong, I still find a connection between the words, the trail, and why many of us hike and seek to protect the trail, Regardless of who wrote the words, or when: "A book of verse, a jug of wine, and thou beside me in the wilderness." has resonated with me for decades. I thnk of them whenever I go camping with my wife, and occasionally, even at times on the trail when I camp with another congenial trail companion.

If Jack is sure I have gotten the words wrong, I hereby proclaim that these are my original words and offer them freely to anyone who finds that they offer some useful insights into the nature of the human experience and trails, especially, if they remember them while sitting around a campfire on a remote trail.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 22:15
Geez, Weary, you're testy today.

All I did was point out, in a light-hearted way, that you're frequently sloppy---or dead wrong---with a lot of your facts. Coming from someone who reminds us constantly of his journalistic career, coupled with the regularity with which you call people ignorant and tell them they don't know what they're talking about......well, it's amusing to see you get so many things wrong in so short a post.

Curious how touchy and defensive you get....all someone does is point out a few errors in your postings and you start bleating about people introducing
"discordant" notes to a thread.

And then you say that I'm the only one that cares about these minor quibbles.

Not quite.

For example, YOU seem to care a good deal, or you wouldn't be carrying on about this.

Geez, Weary, lighten up. Someone tells you, in a lighthearted way, that you're capable of making mistakes, just like any of the rest of us, and you act like you're the victim of a house invasion.

Pretty silly stuff.

saimyoji
09-15-2006, 22:24
ENOUGH ALREADY! YOU ARE GROWN MEN. ACT LIKE IT.

:datz

rickb
09-15-2006, 22:45
Hey, Jack thanx for around your four hundredth negative post directed Weary's way.....(you REALLY need another hobby, bucko) :D

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 23:01
Excellent! You see, some of us actually have a sense of humor here! :D

the goat
09-15-2006, 23:16
Right or wrong, I still find a connection between the words, the trail, and why many of us hike and seek to protect the trail, Regardless of who wrote the words, or when

-Dan "weary" Rather

If Jack is sure I have gotten the words wrong, I hereby proclaim that these are my original words and offer them freely to anyone who finds that they offer some useful insights into the nature of the human experience and trails

-Joe "weary" Biden

Did attribute the above quotes correctly? Oh damn, I guess I'd have done alot better if I was "an old news man" myself!:D

*disclaimer for those w/o a funnybone: i'm not degrading or debasing weary here, i'm merely making some flippant remarks at the expense of my favorite political contributor here, all done in jest. everyone, keep your pants on.;)

weary
09-15-2006, 23:42
-Dan "weary" Rather
-Joe "weary" Biden
Did attribute the above quotes correctly? Oh damn, I guess I'd have done alot better if I was "an old news man" myself!:D
*disclaimer for those w/o a funnybone: i'm not degrading or debasing weary here, i'm merely making some flippant remarks at the expense of my favorite political contributor here, all done in jest. everyone, keep your pants on.;)
Hey Goat. I see you are back in the humor business, or something, though as in the past your "jokes" are more foolish, than funny. I was quoting a thousand year old poem from memory, and added "or something like that" to suggest I didn't know whether the words were accurate or not.

I suggested also that only those proficient in ancient middle east languages really know the exact words, since the common translations vary wildly. I did report some information I obtained from a pre-islamic bedouin scholar 30 years ago while canoeing the St. John River, the longest wild river in the east.

Weary

Heater
09-15-2006, 23:55
And now.......I'm going to watch Apocalypse Now for 300th time---did you know that Martin Sheen was really drunk in the beginning of that movie?

Oh... The horror....

Heater
09-16-2006, 00:02
everyone, keep your pants on.;)

Whoops! :eek: Too late! :o

the goat
09-16-2006, 00:59
Hey Goat. I see you are back in the humor business, or something, though as in the past your "jokes" are more foolish, than funny. I was quoting a thousand year old poem from memory, and added "or something like that" to suggest I didn't know whether the words were accurate or not.

I suggested also that only those proficient in ancient middle east languages really know the exact words, since the common translations vary wildly. I did report some information I obtained from a pre-islamic bedouin scholar 30 years ago while canoeing the St. John River, the longest wild river in the east.

Weary

weary, my friend, you edited your post!

i believe it asked: "tell me, what does a comment in a thread refering to a comment made about a cushy, yuppie coffee place have to do with dan rather or joe biden?" ..........."or something like that".;)
[why did you snip this from your post?]

the only answer i can provide for you weary, is that your funnybone has gone flaccid.:D

i don't care whether or not the words were accurate, just wanted to make some fun........or perhaps even foolishness, as you put it.

keep being you, weary! i wouldn't have you any other way!:clap

SGT Rock
09-16-2006, 02:00
I nominate Weary as the official WhiteBlaze "Lovable Curmudgeon".:sun

As to the other point about not having rules. That was the original intent here a long, long time ago (4 years ago actually). But rules have had to creep in as some people want to screw it up for everyone. Actual threats of violence, real harassment, acts of straight out trolling, multiple IDs just to manipulate people, racism, sexism, and I am sure some others will eventually come up too. Seems too much freedom for some folks is a bad thing. My opinion is their momma's didn't raise them right.:rolleyes:

So for all you WhiteBlazers that can act like your momma's did a good job, congradulations and keep up the good work.:clap

Big Dawg
09-16-2006, 07:32

I'm waiting for Dino to create another "Lone Wolf masterpiece" :D

Lone Wolf
09-16-2006, 07:51
Well, This thread has little to do with the trail, per se. It was about an upscale, yuppie coffee shop in a town that happens to be on the trail.

Someone suggested that we should be talking about a campfire on the trail rather than a coffee shop serving yuppie food.. I agreed and illustrated my agreement by quoting an ancient poem from memory, adding that I was concerned with the idea not the exact words.

Jack being a stickler introduced a discordant note. Does anyone besides Jack really care about the exact order of the words -- or whether they are a result of pre-islamic bedouins or some other mid east tribes later or earlier?

Right or wrong, I still find a connection between the words, the trail, and why many of us hike and seek to protect the trail, Regardless of who wrote the words, or when: "A book of verse, a jug of wine, and thou beside me in the wilderness." has resonated with me for decades. I thnk of them whenever I go camping with my wife, and occasionally, even at times on the trail when I camp with another congenial trail companion.

If Jack is sure I have gotten the words wrong, I hereby proclaim that these are my original words and offer them freely to anyone who finds that they offer some useful insights into the nature of the human experience and trails, especially, if they remember them while sitting around a campfire on a remote trail.

Weary
It's not an upscale, yuppie coffee shop dillweed. Since when are bagels yuppie food. *** is yuppie food anyway? Kinda what you liberal ******* eat in Maine?

Tin Man
09-16-2006, 08:14
It's not an upscale, yuppie coffee shop dillweed. Since when are bagels yuppie food. *** is yuppie food anyway? Kinda what you liberal ******* eat in Maine?

I guess to some, if it don't have "diner" in its name, it serves "yuppie" food. :rolleyes:

Personally, I love diners as well as "yuppie" coffee shops, unless of course the new "yuppie" coffee shop forces the closure of the nearby good old diner. :(

Smile
09-16-2006, 08:35
Have we started to 'profile' bagels and coffee?

;)

TOW
09-16-2006, 08:52
I can't WAIT to have some coffee at J.P.'s Daily Grind.....and I'm going to eat Lone Wolf's scone and croissant.....I keep thinking about that......uh oh I hear the Ride of the Valkyries....gotta go.....

You know, your right, what the hey.......But you know, everyone here better start posting to the way I see things or when I catch up to you at the Gathering I am going to force my religious point of view upon you and after you have accepted my way of knowing things in this spiritual world then I am going to baptize you and hold you under til you really repent and see it my way..................

Any feedback on that?

TOW
09-16-2006, 09:11

Weary

An upscale yuppie coffee shop? You betcha! "Yepperree I be part of that thar upscalish crowd that hangs out thar."

Lone Wolf forgot to mention about the poetry readings we all have there in the morning to just get our day started, then the coffee tops it off.

I hear tell through the grapevine that JP is going to install spitoons for us "tobacco chewing upscale fellars." My kind a place...........

JP's Daily Grind, where us upscale "legends in our own mind of the great Appalachian Trail hang out........"

Let me tell you all right now, in my opinion JP's has a very comfortable atmosphere for the whole crowd, whether your upscale and classy or just plain hiker trash!

TOW
09-16-2006, 09:16
So for all you WhiteBlazers that can act like your momma's did a good job, congradulations and keep up the good work.:clap

You mean my parents actually knew what they were talking about? And I thought they were crazy when I was a teenager...............

TOW
09-16-2006, 09:18
Personally, I love diners as well as "yuppie" coffee shops, unless of course the new "yuppie" coffee shop forces the closure of the nearby good old diner. :(

Not likely to happen...................ever.

weary
09-16-2006, 09:45
weary, my friend, you edited your post!

i believe it asked: "tell me, what does a comment in a thread refering to a comment made about a cushy, yuppie coffee place have to do with dan rather or joe biden?" ..........."or something like that".;)
[why did you snip this from your post?]

the only answer i can provide for you weary, is that your funnybone has gone flaccid.:D

i don't care whether or not the words were accurate, just wanted to make some fun........or perhaps even foolishness, as you put it.

keep being you, weary! i wouldn't have you any other way!:clap
My apologies for being overly sharp in my response to The Goats attempt at whimsy.

This is not a good time to accuse me of venom and insults or even to offer whimsy. I've been in the hospital five or six times this summer. Only the last time accomplished anything useful.

And each time medicare refused to pay without a flury of letters and phone calls. The theory seems to be that a way to reduce entitlements is to harass people in hopes that some will simply pay themselves.

I know the theory works because I had to fight with my father-in-law during the three years he lived with us to keep him from paying every thing that simulated a bill.

Anyway, Old Goat, I thought it funny that you thought you whimsy funny.

Weary

SGT Rock
09-16-2006, 09:58
I've been in the hospital five or six times this summer. Only the last time accomplished anything useful.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you are going to be alright.

Tin Man
09-16-2006, 10:01
I've been in the hospital five or six times this summer. Only the last time accomplished anything useful. Weary

Weary, god bless and best wishes for a full recovery.

TOW
09-16-2006, 10:04
Weary, I know what being ill is all about......if you ever need to let go, PM me then.............

Nean
09-16-2006, 10:18
You mean my parents actually knew what they were talking about? And I thought they were crazy when I was a teenager...............

Reminds me of one of my Dads favorite sayings!:D Warning!!! This is not an exact quote!!:eek:
It goes something like this: When I was eighteen, my father was the dumbest guy in the world. By the time I reached 28, I was amazed by how much my father had learned.;) :)

TOW
09-16-2006, 10:21
that's the way it seems Nean and you know the older I get the more smarter they get...................

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-16-2006, 10:24
The male dino and I had some great coffee and scones at this place a while back - immediately after a 17 mile bike ride down the mountain into Damascus. It was yummy and the place has the feel of those wonderful, cozy tiny coffee houses found in larger cities. Strangers were talking with each other at the coffee bar and a lady was sitting in the back breast-feeding her baby while talking with a friend. It was like being at quiet party in someone's living room.

weary
09-16-2006, 12:20
Sorry to hear that. I hope you are going to be alright.
None were really serious, but the multiplicity of events is a bit worrying. My most serious problem since last March has been an irregular heart beat that kept it from pumping enough blood to get me up hills.

The last stay was a week ago when they fed me a special pill that can only be given in a hospital, because sometimes it changes the heart beat in deadly ways. Luckily, the pill with the help of a cardioversion (an electric shock to the heart) worked so climbing hills has become much easier.

Weary

the goat
09-16-2006, 12:33
None were really serious, but the multiplicity of events is a bit worrying. My most serious problem since last March has been an irregular heart beat that kept it from pumping enough blood to get me up hills.

The last stay was a week ago when they fed me a special pill that can only be given in a hospital, because sometimes it changes the heart beat in deadly ways. Luckily, the pill with the help of a cardioversion (an electric shock to the heart) worked so climbing hills has become much easier.

Weary

hope all is back to normal for you soon, weary. i'm glad to hear you can tackle the hills again. good health is something many of us take for granted, and shouldn't, including me.

be safe & stay well, weary.

the goat

StarLyte
09-16-2006, 13:01

"dillweed"....OMG you crack me up LW......

Hey Weary - I had an electrophysiology in April (similar to a heart cath)- I used to get real weird heartbeats, but I think my adrenaline was making it all happen, you've heard of that adrenaline "rush", well I was getting those a LOT.......I upped my walking/hiking routine and it seems to have disappeared......it was pretty scary though, especially when the cardiologist said he needed to send electrical shocks thru my heart to stimulate the same sequence of heartbeats.....and of course, I said no way in heck! But to be on the safe side, I agreed, because I had to make sure there was nothing wrong me.....and there wasn't. As I was laying there in surgery awake, he stated to me that he could not find anything wrong....and I asked him...."does this mean you are giving me the okay to backpack up a mountain carrying 40 pounds on my back"....he said, "no, I'm telling you it's okay for you to carry 41 pounds on your back up a mountain" :D :D

I wish you well my friend........and BTW, you DO have many friends here.....and there.....

grizzlyadam
09-16-2006, 13:41
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

- attributed by Reader's Digest, Sept. 1937. This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.

weary
09-16-2006, 14:34
You young guys have no sense of history. Most everything is Yuppie for those of us who grew up on the coast of Maine. Once my younger sister visited an uncle and aunt in Massachusetts for a summer.

When she prepared to return my older brother (he was around 15 or 16) told me "she's been spoiled in Massachusetts. She eats pizzas."

"What are pizzas," I demanded. "Pies made with tomatoes," he replied with disgust.

It wasn't until 20 years later that pizzas finally made it to Maine.

Bagels, that strange foreign food favored mostly by "summer people", made their appearance even later.

If you think this story isn't true, you can ask my sister -- the next time you visit the Cabin.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2006, 14:53
Weary--

Hope you're feeling better and improving daily.

I look forward to going 'round and 'round with you for many years to come!! :D

TOW
09-16-2006, 15:31
The male dino and I had some great coffee and scones at this place a while back - immediately after a 17 mile bike ride down the mountain into Damascus. It was yummy and the place has the feel of those wonderful, cozy tiny coffee houses found in larger cities. Strangers were talking with each other at the coffee bar and a lady was sitting in the back breast-feeding her baby while talking with a friend. It was like being at quiet party in someone's living room.

I was that baby too. See what momma's milk does for ya FD?

TOW
09-16-2006, 15:34
And I look forward to reading you guy's going round and round for many years, I hope..................

rickb
09-16-2006, 16:02

Well, in the spirt of bon hommy around here I'd like to chime in and say that I am delighted that we still have a medical system that can get you that pill in a timely manner, Weary.

If you were unfortunate enough to live in Canada (or worse, under a Hillary health plan), you'd probably have to wait at least as long as it will take MS to finish the Trail-- and God knows how long that will be.

I sure we can all agree on that.

As for wanting to see you and Jack go round and round for years to come, on that score, I'd like to say "Are you all ****ing nuts!".

I for one have been praying that Jack will learn to shut the **** up much sooner than that. As a relatively smart individual (we all know how good he is with google) one would think he would have conceded defeat years ago.

Sorry to take the thread off track. Now lets get back to Persia, and the Arabs that live there.

rickb
09-16-2006, 16:08
For those who need them, here is a supply of smiles to sprinkle on any of my posts (past, present or future) to taste: :D ;) :p :sun

Be well Weary.

MOWGLI
09-16-2006, 16:09
Rancor alert!

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2006, 16:31
Not to worry, Mowgli. Rick's strongest point is forthright speech.....on the Internet, anyway. I suspect his language isn't quite so bold when he's talking to people face to face. I guess it's easier to curse people out from a distance of several hundred miles. :D

rickb
09-16-2006, 16:51
I was in the 5-0 a few weeks back.

But geesh Jack, you weren't holding court that day, so your suspicions will have to continue on.

My biggest regret when passing though Hanover the first time was not extending a cordial hello to Charles Bronson-- even with the full knowledge that he most certainly would not have had much interest in meeting me.

I would not make that kind of mistake in Hanover, again. You would most certainly get a cordial hello from me, Jack.

Just because you are wrong about so many things, doesn't mean that you deserve "cursing out".

weary
09-16-2006, 20:25
Weary--

Hope you're feeling better and improving daily.

I look forward to going 'round and 'round with you for many years to come!! :D
Thanks Jack and others for their kind thoughts. Just a word of precaution to those who offer best wishes in hopes I'm likely to soon exit this vale of tears.. I come from a long lived family. The only relative involved in the news business, was Uncle Jack. He set type and drank bourbon for decades.

As we were growing up and began experimenting with mind altering substances, the message we heard again and again, was, "do you want to grow up and be like Uncle Jack. Uncle jack finallly succumbed to the pressures of nature -- and maybe bourbon -- at age 97. The amazing thing was he lived by himself -- and the women he persuaded to live with him -- until the end. His mind getting sharper and more to the point each year.

Attach no significance to this post. This maybe the mindless memories of an old hiker. UNless, with luck, I do manage to grow up to be "just like Uncle Jack."

Weary

Sly
09-16-2006, 20:33
As we were growing up and began experimenting with mind altering substances, the message we heard again and again, was, "do you want to grow up and be like Uncle Jack. Uncle jack finallly succumbed to the pressures of nature -- and maybe bourbon -- at age 97. The amazing thing was he lived by himself -- and the women he persuaded to live with him -- until the end. His mind getting sharper and more to the point each year.

< ching, ching >... Toast to Uncle Jack, Baltimore Jack and Weary. Long shall yee live!

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 07:29
Buncha buttwipes! This thread is about J.P.'s coffee shop and what it has to offer. Take your friggin pettiness elsewhere you fartsacks! Geez Louise. I'm goin for some Seattle's Best now.

TOW
09-17-2006, 08:29
Excellent! You see, some of us actually have a sense of humor here! :D
Yeah, but you fake yours alot......................:D

StarLyte
09-17-2006, 08:30
Buncha buttwipes! This thread is about J.P.'s coffee shop and what it has to offer. Take your friggin pettiness elsewhere you fartsacks! Geez Louise. I'm goin for some Seattle's Best now.

Okay - I'll stop thru before the Gathering. I'll do anything for good coffee and good company, of course that always happens to me in Damascus :rolleyes:

Dino you biked the Creeper? I LOVE doing that.

TOW
09-17-2006, 08:50
I for one have been praying that Jack will learn to shut the **** up much sooner than that. As a relatively smart individual (we all know how good he is with google) one would think he would have conceded defeat years ago.

Sorry to take the thread off track. Now lets get back to Persia, and the Arabs that live there.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to agree with you on that only on this thread.

What I have observed about Jack on the personal level as well as here on Whiteblaze is that he enjoys a good argument. Unfortunately, and I'm sure he has experienced this much in his life time, people take offense and the argument may turn nasty. I really don't care for a person who says something about some mundane subject that has a personal attack in it and then says I was only joking, but when I know that person I can usually overlook them and know that in most cases that the behavior I witness from Jack is likened to the whiskey talking...........

Albeit, Jack is Jack and I truly think that Jack is a poetic person in person or on letter. He is very gifted in this area and I should hope that one of these days that those qualities will serve him to his best interest. I believe the man has some sort of message that will benefit those of us who know him either personally or just by passing.

I enjoy reading what Jack writes and how he expresses himself in this art because I can hear his voice as if he were right there, I just don't pay attention to the half of it. That's because it sometimes gets right personal real fast when there is nothing to attack.

Now what about what the pope said...........?

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 09:20
Okay - I'll stop thru before the Gathering. I'll do anything for good coffee and good company, of course that always happens to me in Damascus :rolleyes:

Dino you biked the Creeper? I LOVE doing that.
You can stay with me and Gypsy and we'll ride the Creeper if you'd like.

weary
09-17-2006, 09:27
Buncha buttwipes! This thread is about J.P.'s coffee shop and what it has to offer. Take your friggin pettiness elsewhere you fartsacks! .
Wolf: We already know J.P.'s has great coffee and bagels and no YUPPIE would ever step inside. What else do you want us to know? That it keeps you from farting?

TOW
09-17-2006, 12:15
Wolf: We already know J.P.'s has great coffee and bagels and no YUPPIE would ever step inside. What else do you want us to know? That it keeps you from farting?

just the opposite, i've been farting ever since i left there this morning..........

moondoggy
09-23-2006, 23:15
We stopped in on Thurs, morning. Coffee is great. J.P is a real nice guy. Great atmosphere, couple of guys playing dominoes out front....
I wish him luck...

JayP
10-14-2006, 08:49
Just dropping a note, the hours have changed to 7am-6pm Daily

BooBoo
12-12-2006, 01:53
Yes StarLyte, the place is under new ownership. The place has a very comfortable atmosphere to it and the coffee is real good. Just the kind of place any hiker would love if he/she loves coffee....................

I think I stopped in for a cup a java while waiting out the rain at the begining of the hiker parade at TD's '05.
Hey Wanderer, Was it anywhere near as good as the coffee at Dioko's?

BooBoo
12-12-2006, 01:59
That's breakin my heart Rock. I'm a coffee drinker.
I just ground some Starbucks and perked it.

I'm going to have a cup for you right this minute. I don't drink whiskey but I'm sure someone here will have a sip for you.

Good thoughts!

Starcrooks (oops I mean Starbucks). I thought you said you were a coffee drinker.:D

TOW
12-12-2006, 10:15
I think I stopped in for a cup a java while waiting out the rain at the begining of the hiker parade at TD's '05.
Hey Wanderer, Was it anywhere near as good as the coffee at Dioko's?
hard to say, but it's the best around here.............i liked dioko's there in joplin, missouri..........

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:08

No espresso, though. Coffee houses should be required...

(Yeah, I know. It's Damascus.)

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:13
Come on man, get a grip!

Waddaya mean! Jack's never been wrong in his life!

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:18
And now.......I'm going to watch Apocalypse Now for 300th time---did you know that Martin Sheen was really drunk in the beginning of that movie? No--you didn't know that did ya! ......now THAT was completely uncalled for and totally off topic......see that wasn't so bad.

So Charlie just learned at Poppa's knee, eh?

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:43
I nominate Weary as the official WhiteBlaze "Lovable Curmudgeon".:sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_D._Raiford

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:52

"Are you ****ing nuts!".

BTW, Persia is an Aryan country, not Arab. And no, I didn't Google that. They tell everyone who'll listen that they're not Arab. Usually said with a slight sneer.

Nightwalker
12-12-2006, 11:54
Not to worry, Mowgli. Rick's strongest point is forthright speech.....on the Internet, anyway. I suspect his language isn't quite so bold when he's talking to people face to face. I guess it's easier to curse people out from a distance of several hundred miles. :D

Kinda like talking about a fellow's predeliction for electronic gadgets from the safe-ish distance of Gooch Gap?

BooBoo
12-13-2006, 03:22
"Are you ****ing nuts!".

BTW, Persia is an Aryan country, not Arab. And no, I didn't Google that. They tell everyone who'll listen that they're not Arab. Usually said with a slight sneer.

Methinks that the comment about Persia was said with tongue plated firmly in cheek.;)

REBELYELL
12-13-2006, 09:48
Here's the angel's share for Rock.....wisp!

TOW
12-29-2006, 17:46
The rumor has it in the Damascus gossiping community that JP's Daily Grind is no more............