PDA

View Full Version : Food and the 100 Mile Wilderness

stringbean
09-15-2006, 14:57
I am going to be section hiking from CT to ME next summer and I am wondering how much food one should carry to get through the 100 Mile Wilderness. I have read posts about carrying 3 - 4 days worth of food to save weight, but is it possible to breeze through this section? I have heard that this section is not that easy. I would like to keep my weight under 30lbs and although I don't have all of my gear yet I am estimating that it could come very close to or possibly slightly exceed 30 lbs including 5 days of food and 3 liters of water (probably won't need to carry that much water). What do you guys think?

gr8fulyankee
09-15-2006, 15:04
I am going to be section hiking from CT to ME next summer and I am wondering how much food one should carry to get through the 100 Mile Wilderness. I have read posts about carrying 3 - 4 days worth of food to save weight, but is it possible to breeze through this section? I have heard that this section is not that easy. I would like to keep my weight under 30lbs and although I don't have all of my gear yet I am estimating that it could come very close to or possibly slightly exceed 30 lbs including 5 days of food and 3 liters of water (probably won't need to carry that much water). What do you guys think?

This is taken from Jack's Re-supply 2005 info
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=90408&postcount=1

Note: There is effectively only ONE place to re-supply (by mail) after you leave Monson, so plan your next week wisely. If you plan to get mail at White House Landing, leave Monson with 4-5 days worth of food; if you plan to hike straight thru the 100-Mile Wilderness (as it is still called), bring 6-7.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2006, 15:05
WHL does not accept mail anymore.

stringbean
09-15-2006, 15:12
So if I can't get my pack weight down to about 9 or 10 lbs not including food and water, I should stay away from the ultralight packs?

Jack Tarlin
09-15-2006, 15:15
Stringbean:

I usually take six and half days to get from Monson to Abol Bridge. And I usually go no more than ten miles the first day, so it's certainly possible to get thru this section faster if you choose.

The first half of this section is mostly moderate to dificult; the last 55 miles or so is essentially flat, i.e. you can do some big-mile days as you get closer to the end.

Water is suficiciently plentiful that I can't imagine anywhere you'll need to carry three liters unless you expect really warm weather during your hike.

I would not attempt to do this section in three to four days unless you are an extremely strong hiker, or plan on 12-hour hiking days.

TJ aka Teej
09-15-2006, 16:45
Hi Stringbean,
If you're starting in CT, I bet you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll need by the time you get to Monson. White House Landing just can't do mail drops anymore. One or two trips to town a week, three hours over forest roads, not always getting there in time to get to the PO - you can see why they had to discontinue the service. There are folks who help with food drops in the 100 Mile, like Buddy from Shaws and WhiteBlaze's very own Boarstone. There's also the Jo-Mary Campground Store and The Junction General Store if you can hitch out towards Rte 11. All that being said, there's probably been hundreds of hikers this year alone who carried 8-9 days of food and took 7-8 days to get through. Ain't nobody yet died of hunger in them there woods, so worry not and deal with the logistics later on.

weary
09-15-2006, 17:19
Hi Stringbean,
If you're starting in CT, I bet you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll need by the time you get to Monson. White House Landing just can't do mail drops anymore. One or two trips to town a week, three hours over forest roads, not always getting there in time to get to the PO - you can see why they had to discontinue the service. There are folks who help with food drops in the 100 Mile, like Buddy from Shaws and WhiteBlaze's very own Boarstone. There's also the Jo-Mary Campground Store and The Junction General Store if you can hitch out towards Rte 11. All that being said, there's probably been hundreds of hikers this year alone who carried 8-9 days of food and took 7-8 days to get through. Ain't nobody yet died of hunger in them there woods, so worry not and deal with the logistics later on.
TJ offers good advice. I usually figure on 9-10 days to do the 100 miles, plus Gulf Hagas, all of which I've done six or seven times.

Sometimes I cache food half way through. Usually I just load my pack with food and minimize other things. Depending on the luxuries I choose to carry, my pack will weigh 35 pounds, plus or minus.

Weary

Shutterbug
09-15-2006, 18:04

While it is true that Whitehouse Landing doesn't accept mail drops, they do have a food pantry. You can resupply there. If you eat there, you will be well fed, then you can buy supplies for the remainder of your hike. Their prices are high compared to WalMart, but they are the cheapest in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

stringbean
09-15-2006, 19:45
Weary, what pack do you use? I can't decide if I want to have some extra room to hold the extra food or if I want to go smaller and wing it when I get there.

weary
09-15-2006, 20:11
Weary, what pack do you use? I can't decide if I want to have some extra room to hold the extra food or if I want to go smaller and wing it when I get there.
My pack is a 20-year-old Lowe Expedition. It's too big and too heavy and in tatters. But I still use it -- out of habit and/or laziness. I like bigness, especially if you have enough willpower to avoid cramming it full. Big is easier to work on a daily basis. You can throw stuff in and get on the trail quickly. I'm not organized enough to carefully pack a skimpy pack.

Weary

Spiritual Pillgrim
09-18-2006, 03:18
Stringbean:
The first half of this section is mostly moderate to dificult; the last 55 miles or so is essentially flat, i.e. you can do some big-mile days as you get closer to the end.

Water is suficiciently plentiful that I can't imagine anywhere you'll need to carry three liters unless you expect really warm weather during your hike.

I made it to from Monson to Baxter Peak in 5 days. You should have good trail legs by the time you hit the Wilderness. If I could do it, just about anybody can.

Jack kind of nails it with the mileage. At the end of the 2nd day I was at Logan Brook. (a 19 and a 24 miler). From there it was pretty easy. Day 3 was 23 miles. I quit a little early cuz it looked like rain and it was another 10 miles to the next shelter. Day 4 I did almost 30. Summit day I left Hurd brook around 4:30 a.m. and did 14. Reached the summit bout noon.

At my pace, I'm sure I was approaching 12 hours of hiking on the 20 milers and for sure on the 30 miler.

I never carried more than 2 liters. I cameled up at every good water source and there are lots of 'em. The springs toward the northern half of the Wilderness were great. Can't remember the exact location of them all but one was on a beach and one of them was Potaywadjo, at the lean-to.

DavidNH
10-31-2006, 10:53
Stringbean,

Forget about doing the 100 miles in 3-4 days unless you are a glutton for punishment.

There are some very rugged sections (ie the chairback range)
The 100 mile wilderness can be wet and/or buggy depending on when you go. Also.. it is in my oppinion one of the nicest sections of the whole trail. So why not try to enjoy it a bit? You get distant views and gorgeous lake side camping sites and shelter sites. You get to hike past huge and unspoiled lakes. You get some fabulous views of Mt.Katahdin ( top of White Cap, side trail from Nesubatant mountain). Do you REALLY wanna rush passed this?

Most folks seem to do this section in about 6-8 days. I myself took 10 days as I wanted to enjoy it and make it last a bit. Of course, the more time you take the more you can carry. I probably left Monson with in excess of 50 pounds on my back. But I wasn't about to race through the 100 mile wilderness.

You CAN ressupply at White House Landing (that is about 60 or 70 miles in) .. you would need to hike 1 mile off the AT on a side trail, then you get picked up by boat and brought to the camp. Most folks go there at least to eat their 1 pound burgers! :)
In their camp store they have basic resupply stuff from snickers to liptons to oatmeal. It is very expensive though. Probably will run you 30 plus for 2-3 days worth. By this time you are going to be REALLY hungry! When you get to Abol Bridge at the end of the wilderness you can resupply again for the remainder of the AT.

David

Ender
10-31-2006, 11:17
I liked my plan in '98... carry ten days of food, hike the 100 miles in a leisurely 7 days, eat all 10 days of food, come out of 100 mile wilderness fat and happy.

The first half of the 100 mile wilderness is reasonably difficult up in the mountains, but the second half is very easy walking around the lakes. Take your time, enjoy, bring good food. Mmmmmmmm....