PDA

View Full Version : The Foxfire Connection/Damascus

TOW
09-16-2006, 15:56
You guys ever recall those books that came out back in the 70's called the Foxfire Books? They were written by an 8th grade class and told the stories of a many of the locals in that little Georgia town and how you could make moonshine, slaughter a hog or make a wicker basket.

There is a store in Damascus called the Foxfire Connection with all kinds of homey knicknacks that kind of reminds you of those books and I encourage you future thru-hikers or section hikers to drop in. Freddy and Betty Hawthorne may just have a gift to your liking that you may want to send back home or pass along to a friend.

Home made jams, quilts, carvings, vintage antique furniture, jewelry and some imported items as well.

The address is 227 Douglas Drive and is located between Cowboys (Exxon) and Sundog's Outfitters.

Phone: 276-475-5038

Spock
09-16-2006, 21:44
Wanderer,
You know, Rabun Gap is just over the hill from Bly Gap. Step over, next time you are in the area.

Lilred
09-17-2006, 01:03
sounds like the kind of place I would have liked to have stopped in. Will have to definately check it out next time I'm in Damascus. and I will be bacK!! don't say I didn't warn ya.....

TOW
09-18-2006, 20:55
Wanderer,
You know, Rabun Gap is just over the hill from Bly Gap. Step over, next time you are in the area.

I'll do that.............when Attroll and I hike the trail

tiamalle
09-18-2006, 21:35
Wanderer,
You know, Rabun Gap is just over the hill from Bly Gap. Step over, next time you are in the area.Spock,the Foxfire museum in Rabun Gap isn't far
south of Franklin,NC on US hwy 441,also some of the movie "Delivence" was filmed just south of there another 10 or 12 miles in Tallullah Gorge.Once on my way to Gainesville,Ga with hikers,I stopped and let them take pictures of' the gorge.Solace posted a picture on his trail journal I think.

briarpatch
09-19-2006, 08:50
and the banjo boy from Deliverence runs a diner in Clayton. He used to work at the Huddle House, but later he and a couple of folks opened their own place.

Local
09-19-2006, 09:00
Link to info on the Damascus store:

http://www.vacreepertrail.us/foxfire/

johnny quest
09-19-2006, 10:41
i served with a navy corpsman who was from the area and was somehow involved in the foxfire program back in the day. i remember he made peach cobbler for my gun crew by digging a pit in the side of a hill, covering it in canvas tarps, and cooking with a squad stove. it took 6 or 8 hours to bake. the dough and crust were mre crackers mashed up with a aiming post light in a canteen cup (mortar and pestle) the filling was a combination of dehydrated peaches, sugar and apple jelly. (we had to rat **** alot of mre's)
im not sure if he learned all this from the foxfire program or not but it was a great way to kill some time in the field.

attroll
09-19-2006, 11:56
I'll do that.............when Attroll and I hike the trail
You better be careful with what you say. I have picked the date. 15 March 2010. I am planning on hiking alone unless I can find someone that matches my pace and I can get along with. For starters I plan on hiking alone though. If you planing on hiking with me you better be ready and keep the same pace as me or faster. I am going to hike my own hike. I am not going to slow down or speed up to try and keep someone else in my hike.

Skidsteer
09-19-2006, 18:13
....the dough and crust were mre crackers mashed up with a aiming post light in a canteen cup (mortar and pestle) the filling was a combination of dehydrated peaches, sugar and apple jelly. (we had to rat **** alot of mre's)

I can't believe the site filter wouldn't allow the word rathole.

TOW
09-19-2006, 18:28
You better be careful with what you say. I have picked the date. 15 March 2010. I am planning on hiking alone unless I can find someone that matches my pace and I can get along with. For starters I plan on hiking alone though. If you planing on hiking with me you better be ready and keep the same pace as me or faster. I am going to hike my own hike. I am not going to slow down or speed up to try and keep someone else in my hike.
Dang it Attroll I thought we already agreed to all of that. Besides we are 3 1/2 years away from that point. I figure if I'm still alive by then, then you and I are going to do the trail together. Just to let you know I am hiking my own hike too. So you'll either keep my pace or I'll let you stay behind, your choice.......