PDA

View Full Version : Dang.. still having trouble with staps

ncmtns
09-16-2006, 16:40
Im using straps to support my hammock ordered from Bro Speer and tied strips of bandana on the straps for drip catchers. Im still getting water seeping past them and down into my hammock. What am i doing wrong?:-?

Just Jeff
09-16-2006, 19:27
The bandana probably isn't making contact with the whole strap...it may be making a U shape and funneling the water down.

Try hanging the hammock, then flipping it over a few times before you get in so the strap is twisted...not too much, though. 1.5 turns might be good.

Heater
09-16-2006, 23:24
The bandana probably isn't making contact with the whole strap...it may be making a U shape and funneling the water down.

Try hanging the hammock, then flipping it over a few times before you get in so the strap is twisted...not too much, though. 1.5 turns might be good.

What about making a drip stopper out of foam pipe insulation? The black stuff that absorbs water. Or a sponge would even work but not as good I think. Cut a circular piece about 2,5 inches around and cut a slit to slide over the strap. Slide it on and duct tape the open side closed. You could just leave it on and adjust up and down as needed.

Think that would work?

Just Jeff
09-16-2006, 23:34
If it absorbs the water, and if it maintains contact with the strap's entire width, anything should work. The bandana will work if you make sure the strap isn't deforming into a U shape when you put weight on it. The problem seems to be that when straps change shape like that, they're strong enough to pull whatever you put over them so there's a separation between the absorber and the strap...and that separation is where the water goes.

But if you twist it, that's one less thing to carry in your pack. I haven't had a good rain to test that yet, but someone here on WB posted that it's what they do and it seems to make sense.

I haven't really had a big problem with rain coming down my straps, though. Maybe I just haven't been in a hard enough rain yet.

I think there was a whole thread on this topic a few months ago...might try looking through the archives for more ideas.

hammock engineer
09-17-2006, 00:00
I had the same problem and woke up to a wet back. I didn't think of twisting the straps. I added drip lines out of the inner stands in para cord. That seems to work really well. I poured water onto the straps and it all ran down the drip lines.

One thing to note. I tied a loop in the HH support lines, then attached the straps to them. The drip lines were added to the HH support lines just before the hammock.

Ramble~On
09-17-2006, 03:50
I use "Slap Straps" and lightweight carabiners...water goes down the straps but never passes the carabiner.
Set up is as simple as passing the strap around a tree, running it through itself, attaching a carabiner to the appropraite height loop and attaching the hammock to the carabiner...it sounds easy cause it is.
There aren't any knots to tie or adjustments to make.
Water has never been an issue since I started using them..

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap-pro.html

jazilla
09-18-2006, 09:07
Has anyone thought that the straps themselves may be absorbing water? If they are then water may be flowing through them instead of on top or under. Maybe something that will help this. Instead of webbing attached straight to hammock, try tying a foot of cord. On the end of the webbing attach a D ring. I did this to my new tree huggers to make tying better. Attach foot long cord to whipped end of hammock and to D ring. That way you have the benefits of no tree huggers with the webbing and when the watter flows down to the D ring it will stop there. A small piece of cord hanging from the D ring will send the water down to the ground where it belongs.

Michele
09-18-2006, 10:21
I use "Slap Straps" and lightweight carabiners...water goes down the straps but never passes the carabiner.
Set up is as simple as passing the strap around a tree, running it through itself, attaching a carabiner to the appropraite height loop and attaching the hammock to the carabiner...it sounds easy cause it is.

Hi SpiritWind, I like your idea here. I'm going to pick up my hammock today, HH UB Asym, and it comes w/tree huggers. From your description, it sounds like I could use this system and all I'd need to find are 2 lightweight carabiners. What type of knot do you use to tie the hammock rope to the carabiner? Anything special? What size carabiner do you use? Thanks!!

Just Jeff
09-18-2006, 17:12
A normal drip string will work on the HH rope, Michele. Or if you tie your tarp separately, just let the HH tarp clips hang down and they'll funnel the water off. The problems in this thread are really only an issue when the entire hammock support is made of webbing.

jlb2012
09-18-2006, 17:53
take the following with a big grain of salt:

IMO one possible approach is to use something like a sock or towel or rag - something that when tied makes a BIG knot - the idea here is that the knot is big enough to fill the concave side of the strap while also wrapping around the other side of the strap making complete contact with both sides of the strap

boarstone
09-18-2006, 18:01
Has anyone thought that the straps themselves may be absorbing water? If they are then water may be flowing through them instead of on top or under. Maybe something that will help this. Instead of webbing attached straight to hammock, try tying a foot of cord. On the end of the webbing attach a D ring. I did this to my new tree huggers to make tying better. Attach foot long cord to whipped end of hammock and to D ring. That way you have the benefits of no tree huggers with the webbing and when the watter flows down to the D ring it will stop there. A small piece of cord hanging from the D ring will send the water down to the ground where it belongs.
Couldn't of said it better myself...always need a "drip" line on the verticle...test...test...test...out in the backyard...where ever...test..even with rain/water sprayed on your system w/wo you in it...

hammock engineer
09-18-2006, 18:08
Dump water onto the support lines while their is weight in the hammock and see what happens. I thought I was ok, but it turns out that a knot made with the HH line will not stop a large or prolonged amount of water. A little yes, a lot no.

A used para cord inner stand that worked supprisingly well. A shoe string, or piece of cottom will probibly work. For some reason the line I use for my tieouts on the tarp would not work.

blackbishop351
09-18-2006, 18:53
Hi SpiritWind, I like your idea here. I'm going to pick up my hammock today, HH UB Asym, and it comes w/tree huggers. From your description, it sounds like I could use this system and all I'd need to find are 2 lightweight carabiners. What type of knot do you use to tie the hammock rope to the carabiner? Anything special? What size carabiner do you use? Thanks!!

I've been using ENO slapstraps on my last few trips. A couple of problems:

1 - Setup/takedown still isn't as quick and easy as I want it to be. To me, one of the big advantages with hammocks is the "possibility" of VERY quick, VERY easy setup. I'm working on my own strap suspension as we speak, but lack of time and money have slowed things down a bit.

2 - Lack of adjustability. Slapstraps only have a few attachment loops, and they're spaced 8-12 in. apart (haven't measured). Because I like a very taut hang on my HH (makes the ridgeline more usable), I've had to modify the slapstraps slightly so I had enough tightening ability.

3 - Weight. Even the Slapstrap Pros still weigh at least 8 oz. (the ENO site used to say 9, but they've changed this recently). The Pro straps are only 8-9 ft. long, and I have the Regular versions, which are only about 7.5 ft. For contrast, Ed Speer sells a pair of 12' polypro straps, low memory stretch, that only weigh 5 oz. On the subject of stretch, I'm pretty sure my ENO straps are stretching every time I use them. Not stretching once and staying that way, as is denoted by "low memory".

On the other hand, I was tired of using the HH spectra cords, and I got the ENO straps on sale. So they're worth using, at least until I get my own design finished.

As always, just my .02 :D

Omni
09-18-2006, 20:15
FYI: Any place that sells rock climbing gear will have these straps. Go in and ask for "Daisy chains" they should have several lengths and you can choose from regular webbing or spectra. This piece of gear is used extensively in aid climbing.

Omni

Michele
09-18-2006, 21:13
A normal drip string will work on the HH rope, Michele. Or if you tie your tarp separately, just let the HH tarp clips hang down and they'll funnel the water off. The problems in this thread are really only an issue when the entire hammock support is made of webbing.

Oh yeah...um...I knew that....:rolleyes: I was trying to get a picture in my mind and couldn't see, it but now I understand what they are talking about. I think I'll pretty much always be tying my MacCat to the tree, not to the hammock, so I don't need anything longer than the HH tarp clips?

Never thought I'd wish for rain, but I hope it does at least one night this weekend, so I can test this out.

Seeker
09-18-2006, 21:25
Never thought I'd wish for rain, but I hope it does at least
one night this weekend, so I can test this out.

YEEESSS!!!! another addict...

(hey michele...c'mere... i wanna show you something... it's called an alcohol stove... sure, you can make one yourself...):D

hammock engineer
09-18-2006, 21:50
YEEESSS!!!! another addict...

(hey michele...c'mere... i wanna show you something... it's called an alcohol stove... sure, you can make one yourself...):D

Nooo, step away from the alcohol stove. I made my first one a few weeks ago. Now I have 7 or 8, with more cans waiting for me to bring out the stove in them.

My roommate asked me why I need to make another stove. I told him that if I can make one that uses 10% less fuel at less weight, that would add up to some big savings over a hike. I don't think he quite understood. I got a strange look and he walked out of the room.

Just Jeff
09-20-2006, 08:59
Gear making should have its own 12 step program.

Step one - identify the need
Step two - research possible solution...
Step eleven - post it on WB
Step twelve - start all over again

ShakeyLeggs
09-21-2006, 01:15

Thanks for the link. There is a sweet lookin tarp on there that I may have to invest in for my 2 countem 2 brand new hammocks. Am I hooked yet? Am I in need of the 12 step program yet? Hmmmmm heck no.

Ramble~On
09-21-2006, 03:07
FYI: Any place that sells rock climbing gear will have these straps. Go in and ask for "Daisy chains" they should have several lengths and you can choose from regular webbing or spectra. This piece of gear is used extensively in aid climbing.

Omni

Bingo.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/item/613138/N/0/cmpn/900100/CMP/KNC-900100 for example.

I already have the Eno Slap Straps...I have the "Slap Strap Pro" and the weight compared to the HH Tree Huggers & stock rope is too close to call...(:rolleyes: lie, I haven't compared and I'm not going to either...So there!)

As far as ease of setup.....I haven't found any problem....
Wrap tree, pass through self, pull tight.....attach biner...DONE...biner hasn't allowed water to be an issue as it hasn't passed from strap, across biner and onto hammock...hasn't happened.

Adjust....when I find the need I wrap the tree a few more times to make the right lenght.....I have never found a need for the strap to be any longer.
If the objects you are trying to hang from are too far apart for the lenght of your rope or webbing...the problem is the same across the board regardless.

Weight.....4 ounces each...maybe..plus biners and I like to rock climb so I had some small, locking on hand...works for me.

Knot What knot to use.....none there is no need for a knot.

YES...... A spectra daisy chain would probably be better, lighter and stronger than the Slap Straps..... if you have the $$$.

Or make your own....to your specifications.....again $$$

Either way......the set up that I use works great in the rain as water reaching my hammock has yet to happen...I have had no adjust problem,
the price was right for me, the 8 ounces is less than what I had been using... the carabiners come in handy for all sorts...and I don't have any knots to tie, adjust or untie.

What works for me might be hell on earth for you and I offer it only as another alternative....I hope someone finds it usefull.

hogn8r
09-26-2006, 14:52
Here is what I did to stop the "chaneling" of water by my poly straps.
1) fold the strap in half where you want to attach the drip line.
2) Lay the drip line material over and around the folded strap.
3) Fold strap again, with the material in the fold.
4) Secure temporarily with zip-ties.
5) Whip the down-stream side of the material to the strap.
6) Cut off zip-ties.

This is a pretty permanent solution for stopping the water, ie, not easily removable. But it works great. The trick is to get the absorbing material into the chanel of the strap so it stops the flow as well as being big enough on the outside to stop the flow.

I used an old wash rag, cut it into about 2" strips, surged the edges and the whipped it to the straps.

Pictures:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hogn8r2004/detail?.dir=/f560re2&.dnm=a000re2.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hogn8r2004/detail?.dir=/f560re2&.dnm=ae60re2.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hogn8r2004/detail?.dir=/f560re2&.dnm=645cre2.jpg&.src=ph

jlb2012
09-27-2006, 00:35
an untested idea - take a short fat stick and tie it into the strap with a few wraps (this blocks water flow on inside of strap) and then slide a scrunchie hair tie down over the wrap (blocks water flow from the outside of the strap)

if you want to leave it in then a 1 inch section of a cork could be used instead of the stick and it would be somewhat lighter

hammock engineer
09-27-2006, 08:25
I'll test it out on mine next time I set it up, but wouldn't just a piece of para cord inner stands work as a drip string? That is what I use on the HH cord after the straps and it works great. Should be the same on the straps.

jlb2012
09-27-2006, 08:49
wrt drip string - an uninformed opinon of mine is that a heavy rain (aka a flat rock rain) needs a bigger drip string than the inner core of 550 cord but anyways you are probably right - the scrunchie is probably over kill

hammock engineer
09-27-2006, 08:53
On my HH I cut the support rope to approx 1 foot, tied a loop in it, and then attached the strap to it. The drip string is on the HH rope after the strap. I put weight on the hammock. Then poured a full nalgene on the straps and had the drip strings work both times I tried it. I figured if it rained enough to give me more water than that I had bigger problems.

Putting the drip string son the straps may have a different effect.

jazilla
09-27-2006, 20:52
This is how I solved my tree strap problem. Ties fast like a biner but weighs next to nothing.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13029&c=577

jazilla
09-27-2006, 20:53
PS
Water goes no farther then D ring

Dan Wilson
01-13-2007, 13:51
I have been using ENOs slap strap along with the whole system. its the sweetest i have ever seen or used... what alot of people dont realize is you have the hammock slack and than adjust it by racheting it around the tree where the strap goes aruound. I think because these straps are so simple yet SOLVE ALL HAMMOCK HANGING ISSUES EVER theres a few haters out there! but they will come around...