PDA

View Full Version : Three day hike into Damascus VA.

LeeF
09-16-2006, 21:52
I've backpacked in and around Grayson Highlands State Park and Mount Rogers three or four times now and want to try something a little different on my upcoming trip. Instead of doing a loop from & back to the GHSP hikers parking lot I would like to use one of the shuttle services out of Damascus.

Can anyone suggest drop off points north or south of Damascus along the AT or another trail that would work out for a three day hike? How full would the shelters be for a Thursday through Sunday trip during the last week of September or first week of October?

Thanks.

strnorm
09-16-2006, 22:01
You can go to hampton tn.at us321 it is 41miles south of damascus with 5 shelters before you get to damascus.good hiking

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2006, 22:21
You could get dropped off at VA 603 and walk back to Damascus ( it's around 41 miles).

Another possiblity would be VA 600 at Elk Garden (just under 25 miles back to town).

Mt. Rogers Outfitter is a reliable affordable shuttler, or you could find Lone Wolf here at Whiteblaze.

You shouldn't have a problem getting shelter space, tho I'd still pack a tent or tarp, just in case.

LeeF
09-16-2006, 22:44
Thanks. I'll check out both suggestions.

VA 603 sounds good because of the Old Orchard, Wise, and Thomas Knob Shelters. No matter how early or late I get on the trail there will be a good place to stop for the first night.

US 321 sounds good because I've never been there before.

joec
09-17-2006, 11:57
I did the Summit Cut to Damascus trip last year. It is about 18 miles if I remember correctly. My plan was to make it a afternoon, full day, and then out to Damascus the morning of the 3rd day. My wife gave out so we did the Creeper trail into Damascus the evening of the second day. Good hike.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2006, 12:00
Thanks. I'll check out both suggestions.

VA 603 sounds good because of the Old Orchard, Wise, and Thomas Knob Shelters. No matter how early or late I get on the trail there will be a good place to stop for the first night.

US 321 sounds good because I've never been there before.
If you need a shuttle and a place to to park, PM me with the exact date and such. I'm a lot cheaper than the outfitters.

rockrat
09-17-2006, 13:27
You could get dropped off at Grayson Highlands, and hike the Iron Mountain Trail in. Its shorter and many of the shelters are still in decent condition.

LeeF
09-20-2006, 14:32
Thanks for all the information so far.

I've hiked the Smokies and I've hiked from the Old Orchard Shelter to Elk Garden section a couple of times (along the AT & along the Pine Mountain Trail) but nothing between them. If you had a four/five day weekend would you go for the known quality of the Mount Rogers hike or is there something south of there good for a brief hike? Of course like everyone else I want to hike it all but time is limited this fall. Thanks.

bigcranky
09-20-2006, 19:49
A 4-5 day weekend? You could do a nice hike from US 19-E south to Erwin, TN. This 45-ish mile section goes over the Roan Highlands area. Spectacular views, %$^& tough climbs. Lots and lots of balds with views. Stay at Miss Janet's hostel the night before and have her shuttle you up to the start and walk back.